putting the Asus A8N-SLI to rest.

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

putting the Asus A8N-SLI to rest.

Postby clone » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:17 am

well it's time has come.

the Asus A8N-SLI socket 939 motherboard has been pulled from the case and may get tossed into the trash, with it is going my last socket 939 processor and I'm undecided if I'll keep the 4 gig's of Kingston PC 3200.

I kept these parts because it seemed so wasteful to just toss them into the trash, but over time the A8N has been growing more and more inconvenient.

it's limited PCIe 1.0 spec means no video cards in recent memory will work with it.... even the GTX 250 I tried failed to be recognized, I was stuck using an old 6600 GT which while a trooper in it's day failed to manage decent settings in DarkStar which left it being nothing if not really annoying.

for some odd reason the onboard sound didn't work (checked bios, updated drivers, recognized by windows) and while I had an old Soundblaster Audigy I was using some sound corruption issues in a few legacy games made using the machine for it's intended purpose pointless.

the main reason the motherboard is worthless to me is the PCIe issue..... here is a 2nd machine I could be using for games spanning 2002 through 2010 with the right video cards (which I have) but because of the spec I can't.

as a web surfer the machine also proved a disappointment, I'm not sure what Nvidia or Asus did with the A8N but I got this platform back from my mother in law because of sporadic gremlins... it was a 2000mhz socket 939 dual core on a premium board with ample ram and a 150gb 10k raptor drive, for e-mail and generic dreck it should have been fantastic.

instead an ancient single core socket 462 1800XP (clocked to 2000mhz) on a first gen Nforce 1 with 2gb's ram and a lowly 7200rpm Maxtor is doing far better..... IDK why and only shake my head as everyone who's used it at the mo in laws praises the single core while pooping on the old dualy.

anyway I'm going to deal with the board with extreme prejudice and force it to fit into the garbage bag in a way that won't rip it...(yes I'm going to fold it into a cube and then wrap it...... it just seems like such a waste but I guess that's where we are with personal computers and the rise of portable computing.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Re: putting the Asus A8N-SLI to rest.

Postby Fuzz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:15 am

I also put one of those out to pasture recently. I've actually got a stack of 10 old machines in my office, ready for recycling. Just DBAN'd all the drives. P4, s a few core2duo's... It was a bit of an XP retirement party....

I harvest a few sticks fo RAM, some power supplies(that had been replacements, so still not that old) and a few video cards. To be honest, I don't think I'll use many of the parts, but I like to keep a few around for sudden PC death that can occur....

Just wondering, why don't you drop the mobo for recycling? Should be free, you already paid the fee....
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby clone » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I guess, for the sake of the environment I'll do it.

seems weird how this stuff was legendary when it was new & running 2800mhz (FX40 level's of perf) now it's not worth reformatting to fix the audio because the gfx will still suck.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Do you own any guns? If so take gun and mobo to a shooting range and have at it...and please post before and after pics here! :mrgreen: :D

Seriously though, since it still works ( not the onboard audio but everything else still works right?) , then why not donate it to this Charity for Kids Computers that is in your city:

http://www.cfkcanada.org/aboutus.html

Who We Are

Computers For Kids is a registered charity (Charitable Status Number 86000 1437 RR0001) located in Windsor, Ontario. Our facility includes a 24,000 square foot warehouse dedicated to refurbishing and recycling electronics. Our goal is to seek out serviceable electronic donations, both personal and corporate, so that we may assist the children of our community with computer access.

What is "E-Waste?

Electronic waste, e-waste, e-scrap, or Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) describes loosely discarded, surplus, obsolete, broken, electrical or electronic devices. In Ontario, this includes Desktop computers, Portable computers, Computer peripherals, Monitors, Televisions, Printing devices, Telephones (physical and accessories), Cellular phones, PDA’s and pagers, Audio and video players, Cameras, Equalizers, (pre)amplifiers, Radios, Receivers, Speakers, Tuners, Turntables, Video players/projectors, Video recorders, and Personal hand held computers.

4150 Sandwich St, Windsor,
ON, Canada, N9C 1C5
Monday thru Friday 9:00AM - 5:30PM
Saturday 9:00AM - 1:00PM
Phone: 519-253-KIDS (5437)
Fax: 519-253-5600

I am sure some poor little wretch out there would be more than happy to get your old puter parts! :scout: Plus you might get a free sandwich when you drive down to Sandwich Street in Windsor to drop off your old beast...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Stupify » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:33 pm

computers are no longer accepted at most locations as they are getting way too many. i have Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB ram and 4200Ti card that work just fine but when i inquired for donation i was told they get too that they don't want them anymore. i can imagine with the advent of tablets. there was one place that told me to drop the "piece of junk" attitude in one of the bins. at which point i changed my mind and i am glad today as i was able to source the psu from it to replace my now "defunct" psu for the custom paper tray case.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:27 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Do you own any guns? If so take gun and mobo to a shooting range and have at it...and please post before and after pics here! :mrgreen: :D

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum