The curious incident of the Celt in the Night-time . . .

The Forum is the place to go for more serious non-computer-related discussions. The rules of conduct here are more strict than they are elsewhere on X-bit labs. Adult language should be kept to a bare minimum. All posts must be related to the topic thread.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

The curious incident of the Celt in the Night-time . . .

Postby Celt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 am

I thought it was time I came back and made this post as really you all deserve some truth as to why I basically just disappeared off the face of the Earth at the beginning of the year.

Firstly I will put to bed some rumours. My absence has nothing to do with any of the members here, or any "arguments" or "discussions" with any individuals at all. It had nothing to do with clone and me disagreeing over Daft Punk, or Fuzz's penguin obsession, or H_T's constant Bliebbering, or H_Ts Miley Cyrus Obsession, or H_T's conspiracy theories, or H_T's . . . well you get the point :lol:

Frankly i just found myself getting angry about things; not on here per se, but generally. The TV news pi$$ed me off, life pi$$ed me off, the spammers pi$$ed me off, and I was just getting more and more pi$$ed off with my digital existence as a whole. As many of you know I dumped Facebook a while ago because frankly it is nothing more than an information syphon to sell to the highest bidder nowadays with your privacy taking a back seat, and I just wanted to escape all the rest of the digital ties that bind us to the ether . . . so I did. I stopped visiting a lot of my regular haunts (of which XBit is the one where I was most senior). I stopped playing online games like the Flight Simulators and IVAO into which I have invested a lot of my time, and basically just let life be life without having to worry about anything outside my physical locality. In other worlds I went back and hid in the real world. I won;t go into the psychological reasoning for all of this but many of you who know me best can probably put 2 & 2 together and come pretty close to a fair answer.

It was also necessary . . . I think I hold the "high score" for blood presure at my doc's . . . and frankly the stress of life was going to kill me one way or another if I didn't make changes. I am a lot more chilled, although I still find myself rantling at the TV. I am not prepared to return at this juncture so will remain among the list of Moderators Emeritus for the time being. It took me a while to actually get round to posting this because I have to resist the temptation to look at all the old threads, or to look at the member slist and kill the spammers etc. etc. so I am going to disappear after I hit "Submit", pausing only to lock the thread for replies (although that won't stop the mods I am sure). Not that I don;t wna to know how you are all doing, but it'll just be a temptation to retun otherwise.

In the meantime keep on trucking guys. Many of you have been here longer than I have - was trying to recall when I first came along here - 2000 I think . . . so don't give up the community, and take care of yourselves.

Celt.
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Re: The curious incident of the Celt in the Night-time . . .

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:23 am

Just look well after yourself. Good to see you're on the right track.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:32 am

I know it has been a couple of months but I thought it courteous to come back here and post an update. After moping around realising that frankly the next important event in my life was probably going to be my own funeral, i have taken the decision to "do an MTX". For those who don;t recall. MTX was also a moderator here, but stepped back due to study and work. I have decided to return to education and study for a degree in Planetary Sciences (hopefully exogeology) which gives me some thing to do with my spare time and a goal to aim for.

One of the problems I had with moderating here is that you are effectively compelled to read every post in order to moderate, and this I think was part of the problem - I couldn't be selective and TBH the posts here range from the intellectual to the rant to inane drivel and below (I count the JB posts in that last category :lol:). Therefore while my studies allow I may be back from time to time but i won't moderate actively - in other words I will join CUPa, Tacitus and MTX in the "Moderator Emeritus" category. I am going to unlock this thread now as I believe my "status" in life deserves to drop down the post list. of course there is still the question over this forum's future, but regardless i wish you all well.

Chris aka Celt
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Fuzz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:24 am

That's awesome that you decided to go back to school! Best wishes on that. Learning new stuff is always rewarding. Well, unless you are learning about JB's latest shenanigans. Then its just unnecessary.

I'd encourage you not to go the way of the other mods that haven't returned! Just be a lazy freeloader like me and let others do the mod work. Leave it to the "youths". You are welcome to only read the good stuff that I post. Seriously though, be sure to swing by and grace us with your new found knowledge of Uranus every once and a while.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:32 am

I have decided to return to education and study for a degree in Planetary Sciences (hopefully exogeology) which gives me some thing to do with my spare time and a goal to aim for.

I think that´s an awesomely good idea. Lots of interesting ground to cover now that there´s some actual information coming in on the subject.

It was also necessary . . . I think I hold the "high score" for blood presure at my doc's . . . and frankly the stress of life was going to kill me one way or another if I didn't make changes. I am a lot more chilled, although I still find myself rantling at the TV.

Oh you grouchy old man!

Rant, but make fun of it instead if you can, that´s less damaging.

In the meantime keep on trucking guys. Many of you have been here longer than I have - was trying to recall when I first came along here - 2000 I think . . . so don't give up the community, and take care of yourselves.

Mmm, think i came here first in 1999 or something thereabouts.

And i return that "take care of yourself" to you. Come back and say hi when it wont mess up that BP of yours(or make you go ballistic in general), the music and joke threads might be suitable targets for you as they are rarely dealing with anything that should cause anything untoward.

Oh, and if you have BP issues, in case you don´t already know, avoid licorice, as it raises blood pressure.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Jordi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:21 am

Best wishes on your new projects, Celt. And definitely, stay away from TV news! Just don't be pissed off at life. It's truly great and fully enjoyable if you find the right something to “orbit around” to.

Dire, IIRC, you came here first around august, 2000. About the same time as Sauron_Daz did. I joined a month or two after that. I remember well because this was one of the first sites that I started visiting right after I managed to get internet access (I didn't know then that I was supposed to pick a cool nick ;-) )
Jordi

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:25 am

:mrgreen: :twisted: :lol:

Sorry Celt, could not resist!

Thanks for updating us on your situation and congrats on going back to school! Life has no remote control so sometimes you have to get up and change the channel yourself - bit scary but also challenging and rewarding! I wish you all the best. Of course you are welcome here anytime as you know, either as casual lurker ( to catch up on latest Bizzle haps of course :wink: ) , or some light modding if you like...

In any case I am glad you took steps to improve your health and outlook on life, sounds like you have an exciting future to look forward to!

BTW, it is because of pics like the ones in my post - that is the reason aliens won't talk to us!! :whistle: :lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:28 am

Fuzz wrote:That's awesome that you decided to go back to school! Best wishes on that. Learning new stuff is always rewarding. Well, unless you are learning about JB's latest shenanigans. Then its just unnecessary.

I'd encourage you not to go the way of the other mods that haven't returned! Just be a lazy freeloader like me and let others do the mod work. Leave it to the "youths". You are welcome to only read the good stuff that I post. Seriously though, be sure to swing by and grace us with your new found knowledge of Uranus every once and a while.

I am a "youth"?? Why thank you kind sir!! :scout: :mrgreen:

Yutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNZ1O2KTOOg

Also, please no knowledge of "Uranus" - that is private information and must remain that way!! :twisted:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:06 pm

good luck in future endeavors.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:18 am

Jordi wrote:Best wishes on your new projects, Celt. And definitely, stay away from TV news! Just don't be pissed off at life. It's truly great and fully enjoyable if you find the right something to “orbit around” to.

Dire, IIRC, you came here first around august, 2000. About the same time as Sauron_Daz did. I joined a month or two after that. I remember well because this was one of the first sites that I started visiting right after I managed to get internet access (I didn't know then that I was supposed to pick a cool nick ;-) )

Hmm, off by a year... I guess i didn´t actually register for that first year then.
Still not to far off, but close only counts with horse shoes and nuclear weapons... :twisted:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:51 am

:lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:34 pm

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Oh, and if you have BP issues, in case you don´t already know, avoid licorice, as it raises blood pressure.

I'd not heard that one and I've always had a bit of a thing for licorice. Obviously the Scandanavian "Salted" version would raise the Blood Pressure (because of the "evil" salt), but not the ordinary stuff . . . damn!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Celt wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:

I'd not heard that one and I've always had a bit of a thing for licorice. Obviously the Scandanavian "Salted" version would raise the Blood Pressure (because of the "evil" salt), but not the ordinary stuff . . . damn!

Nope, even without the salt, licorice is a BP raiser. It´s a common "non school medicine" ingredient as it is very medically active(especially when its the kind that retains the glycyrric acid content), and i´ve run into far too many people who have high BP issues and then make it worse with licorice, so i make it a standard thing to notify people of it, it´s a far too easy trap to fall into.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/881.html
High blood pressure: Licorice can raise blood pressure. Don’t consume large amounts of it if you have high blood pressure.

Heart disease: Licorice can cause the body to store water, and this can make congestive heart failure worse. Licorice can also increase the risk of irregular heartbeat. Don’t consume licorice if you have heart disease.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Jordi wrote:Best wishes on your new projects, Celt. And definitely, stay away from TV news! Just don't be pissed off at life. It's truly great and fully enjoyable if you find the right something to “orbit around” to.

Hmm, off by a year... I guess i didn´t actually register for that first year then.
Still not to far off, but close only counts with horse shoes and nuclear weapons... :twisted:

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 am

Celt wrote:I know it has been a couple of months but I thought it courteous to come back here and post an update. After moping around realising that frankly the next important event in my life was probably going to be my own funeral, i have taken the decision to "do an MTX". For those who don;t recall. MTX was also a moderator here, but stepped back due to study and work. I have decided to return to education and study for a degree in Planetary Sciences (hopefully exogeology) which gives me some thing to do with my spare time and a goal to aim for.

One of the problems I had with moderating here is that you are effectively compelled to read every post in order to moderate, and this I think was part of the problem - I couldn't be selective and TBH the posts here range from the intellectual to the rant to inane drivel and below (I count the JB posts in that last category :lol:). Therefore while my studies allow I may be back from time to time but i won't moderate actively - in other words I will join CUPa, Tacitus and MTX in the "Moderator Emeritus" category. I am going to unlock this thread now as I believe my "status" in life deserves to drop down the post list. of course there is still the question over this forum's future, but regardless i wish you all well.

Chris aka Celt

Best of wishes!
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:12 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Celt wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:

Nope, even without the salt, licorice is a BP raiser. It´s a common "non school medicine" ingredient as it is very medically active(especially when its the kind that retains the glycyrric acid content), and i´ve run into far too many people who have high BP issues and then make it worse with licorice, so i make it a standard thing to notify people of it, it´s a far too easy trap to fall into.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/881.html
High blood pressure: Licorice can raise blood pressure. Don’t consume large amounts of it if you have high blood pressure.

Heart disease: Licorice can cause the body to store water, and this can make congestive heart failure worse. Licorice can also increase the risk of irregular heartbeat. Don’t consume licorice if you have heart disease.

Right, that's it completely off the Christmas goodie list . . . thanks for that . . . interesting . . .
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Return to The Forum