Intel Core i7 4790k Temps During IntelBurnTest? 100c...

Join our hot discussion of overclocking, tweaking, cooling and modding of CPUs, graphics cards,mainboards,cases,fans. Squeeze all juices out of your hardware with X-bit's community!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Intel Core i7 4790k Temps During IntelBurnTest? 100c...

Postby Civilradiant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:41 am

I have a Intel Core i7 4790k with a Hyper 212 evo cooler on it in a new system I just built.

I don't know much about temperatures but thought I would test my temps to make sure I got the cooler on correctly with enough thermal paste to do the job.

When I run IntelBurnTest v2.54 and use Core Temp 1.0 RC6 my temps shoot up to ~100c and Core Temp starts warning me...

I am guessing this is a problem...

At idle the temps sit around ~33c

Did I do something wrong? Should the system be able to stress test and stay at lower temps?
Civilradiant

Re: Intel Core i7 4790k Temps During IntelBurnTest? 100c...

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 am

Does the fan speed up when it heats up, or stay the same? Make sure its plugged into the CPUFAN connector on the motherboard.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 am

my temps shoot up to ~100c and Core Temp starts warning me...

I am guessing this is a problem...

At idle the temps sit around ~33c

It´s max safe temp is somewhere in the 70s IIRC, so yes that is a BIG problem.

Something wrong with the cooler it seems. Like Fuzz says, first thought is that the fan doesn´t work properly, or at all.

But the difference is still extreme. My cpu (E8400) changes less than 15C from idle to 100% load. And the same was true with my previous computer AND the one before that as well.

A 70 degree change is far too much even if you used the stock cooler, AFAIK.

You also want to check the BIOS to make sure the cpu isn´t overvolted.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Ya, also make sure the cooler is properly secured.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Fuzz wrote:Ya, also make sure the cooler is properly secured.

That was my first thought, but if it idles at a mere 33? :?
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:36 am

Maybe he used too much thermal paste, or didn't spread it out well.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby clone » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:12 pm

That was my first thought, but if it idles at a mere 33?
mine as well.

adding a 2nd fan to the cooler so one blows and the other pulls air through it might help but such a huge spike in temps is concerning.

Civilradiant when you do the load test does the temperature spike or does it just gradually keep slowly rising until it hits 100.

if it's gradual and unmanageable then the cooler is most likely mounted properly.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Civilradiant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:18 pm

I believe that I had applied too much thermal paste when I installed the Hyper 212 cooler, also the fan was plugged into a case fan mb connector not the CPU fan mb connector.

I removed the Hyper 212 and cleaned off all the thermalpaste with ArctiClean.

I was having a hard time with the Hyper 212 mounting so I installed the stock Intel cooler which already had thermalpaste strips factory placed.

The stock Intel Cooler/fan is not correctly plugged into the CPU fan mb connector and I can hear the fan speed up when temps go up.

HOWEVER...

@ Idle my temps are hovering around 40c but when I initiate the stress test my temps shoot right back up to 100c

><

Nothing changed...
Civilradiant

Postby Civilradiant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 pm

clone wrote:
That was my first thought, but if it idles at a mere 33?
mine as well.

adding a 2nd fan to the cooler so one blows and the other pulls air through it might help but such a huge spike in temps is concerning.

Civilradiant when you do the load test does the temperature spike or does it just gradually keep slowly rising until it hits 100.

if it's gradual and unmanageable then the cooler is most likely mounted properly.

The temp shoots right up to 100c within a few seconds of starting the stress test.
Civilradiant

Postby Civilradiant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Civilradiant

Postby Civilradiant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 pm

2 Seconds of stress test
Civilradiant

Postby joe mamma » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Is it possible you forgot to remove the protective plastic film from the base of your CPU cooler? I did that with my new 4790k when installing my aftermarket tower cooler (Phanteks PH-TC14PE), but I realized as soon as I had finished installing it and hadn't connected the power supply yet, so I just had to take it back off and remove the film, then reapply a dab of thermal compound and put the cooler back on.

For comparison, I ran the same test with the same programs you indicated. My idle temps are ~36 C (room temperature is ~25 C), and for most of the burn test the cores are all ~60-65 C. Midway through each run on the burn test, there is a very brief temperature spike up to 78-80 C for cores 0 and 3, and 81-85 for cores 1 and 2. That immediately drops back down to the low 60's for all 4 cores, while still showing 100% load. The full 10 runs complete successfully.

This is also while running a very minor overclock, set automatically by the BIOS to 102.0 x 44 = 4488 MHz.
Asus Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790k | 32GB G.SKILL DDR3 2666 | HD4870 | SSD 500GB | PCP&C 750W
joe mamma

Postby Civilradiant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:39 pm

joe mamma wrote:Is it possible you forgot to remove the protective plastic film from the base of your CPU cooler? I did that with my new 4790k when installing my aftermarket tower cooler (Phanteks PH-TC14PE), but I realized as soon as I had finished installing it and hadn't connected the power supply yet, so I just had to take it back off and remove the film, then reapply a dab of thermal compound and put the cooler back on.

For comparison, I ran the same test with the same programs you indicated. My idle temps are ~36 C (room temperature is ~25 C), and for most of the burn test the cores are all ~60-65 C. Midway through each run on the burn test, there is a very brief temperature spike up to 78-80 C for cores 0 and 3, and 81-85 for cores 1 and 2. That immediately drops back down to the low 60's for all 4 cores, while still showing 100% load. The full 10 runs complete successfully.

This is also while running a very minor overclock, set automatically by the BIOS to 102.0 x 44 = 4488 MHz.

Negative, I definitely removed the plastic film.
Civilradiant

Postby Civilradiant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 pm

UPDATE:

So I returned and repurchased the CPU and the cooler, now using a thermaltake cooler that's essentially the same as the previous (sold out of the 212)

I installed the new processor and the new cooler and I am getting

~20c idle according to "Real Temp"
~30c idle according to "Core Temp"

~90c During IntelBurn Test according to "Real Temp"
~100c During IntelBurn Test according to "Core Temp"

*I also updated my BIOS earlier to the latest version of which seems to have had no impact.
Civilradiant

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:14 am

But you are not getting crashes?

Because in that case i´m starting to wonder if the program and/or sensor are working correctly together or not...

I checked around a bit, and HW sites doing OCing did not reach the 90-100C area without quite a lot extra voltage (@~1.4 to 1.5V) and OCs. Stability issues at that point also seemed fairly commonplace.

Also, make sure you don´t have any BIOS settings set incorrectly/strangely/overly optimistically.

This be odd stuff... :?
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby aron » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am

I have a 4790K with a Noctua NH-D14 cooler and my temperatures are also quite worrisome. Under normal usage (gaming or compiling) I never get past 60 degrees Celsius (measured with RealTemp), most of the time it's around 50 degrees (idle around 35 with an ambient temp of 28; this summer really sucks btw, been waiting for it all year and all I get is 28-30 degrees). Running the latest Prime 95 (v28.5) with small FFTs absolutely kills it, temps shoot up to 90 degrees (95 was the highest reading I got). No throttling and no stability issues, but still... I tried to reseat the cooler a couple of times, swapped the thermal paste (tried Arctic Silver 5 and Noctua NT-H1), but nothing helped. I am starting to believe this is simply normal for this CPU.
aron

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 am

Yep, this is one hot cpu alright if the cpu voltage is set too high:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... blems.html

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040973010

A BIOS update for your motherboard may help you as without the lastest bios version support for this particular cpu, the mobo does not set the correct cpu voltage ( sets it too high ) which causes cpu to overheat. Update your bios if necessary, and manually set the cpu voltage yourself, that should help out with the heat issues a wee bit, good luck!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devi ... d-i5-4690k

Our i7-4790K is actually one of the lower performing CPUs from what I have heard from other reviewers. Using a Corsair H80i (the 120mm double thickness CLC), our CPU hit 4.6 GHz at 1.300 volts, with 86ºC peak temperature under OCCT load, and 4.7 GHz at 1.450 volts with 98ºC peak temperature under OCCT load.

Case in point:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ ... 69138.html

HOWEVER...

@ Idle my temps are hovering around 40c but when I initiate the stress test my temps shoot right back up to 100c

Notice that in the second pic above, the VID ( cpu voltage ) shoots up from 0.95 volts in idle mode all the way to 1.27 volts under full load!! That is way too high for this cpu imho!! Never go above 1.20 volts, and preferably between 1.10 to 1.18 volts if possible... check your cpu voltage setting in your mobo BIOS. :scout:

:mrgreen:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby mhudon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:39 am

Have you checked the CPU fan profile in your BIOS? I had some strange issues with Gigabyte mobos lately where they wouldn't properly control the cpu fan rotation at default settings. After some tweaking, everything got back to normal. I'll check and post those settings tonight.

When the cpu reaches temps as high as 90c, you should hear the fan scream, do you? If not, here's what I would try: Plug the cpu fan in a four pins to three pins adapter to make it run at full speed and test again. If you get better results, the culprit probably is the Bios settings.
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby clone » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:09 pm

that fact that your cpu is spiking to 100 so quickly is very concerning.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't reducing the clock rate in response to such a drastic temperature spike, check to see. If the cpu clock rate is dropping then the temps must be real and are being noted not only by the motherboards sensors but also the cpu's ondie ones as well.

try reducing the cpu's clock rate in the bios and running the burn in tests again in an attempt to find what will be a safe level, I'd start by dropping the clock rates by 30% and then work my way back up.

on a side note, given the rated power consumption looked to be 143 watts you may want to consider water cooling as it doesn't appear air cooling is cutting it.

verify before spending money on water but it does look like it may be needed. I'd also avoid pushing the temps so high repeatedly.

p.s. even if you had put too much thermal paste on you could have "worked" it out from between the cpu and cooler just by rotating it under pressure. but again given the temp spike.... it's just ugly.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Not to mention that "Intel Burn Test" is just that, the most torturous heat inducing benchmark on the planet... nothing else can fry your cpu like Intel Burn Test does... so it should be considered a "worst case scenario" indeed. That being said, even running this utility should not induce 100C temps on any modern cpu with good cooling...something else is wrong here, I am guessing too much cpu voltage...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Overclocker's and Modding Club