Browsers

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Browsers

Postby Kahless » Thu May 08, 2014 12:55 am

What browser does everyone use and how come?

I just finally switched from Chrome to Firefox. Chrome always has had very high gpu utlization for me. It kicks me GPU fans up to like 60 percent when it is open so I got tired of hearing the extra noise when the browser is open and i'm not gaming. Firefox has little to no GPU utilization.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Re: Browsers

Postby Fuzz » Thu May 08, 2014 4:31 am

Firefox. I had so many extensions etc that I loved when Chrome came out, I never made the switch. I use Chrome for some things, but Firefox is my main browser.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Stupify » Thu May 08, 2014 5:25 am

FireFox with AdBlockEdge add-on. ABE and simple keyword bookmarking are the two reasons why i use FF and nothing else.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby mhudon » Thu May 08, 2014 7:20 am

Constantly switching between Firefox and Chrome. I have to use Chrome at work and like it a lot. That said, I've been using Firefox for ages, I always prefered it to IE and feel at ease with it. When installing Windows, it's the first software I download right before getting an antivirus (Bitdefender) and Malwarebytes. Lots of add-ons make Firefox a good working tool too. Download Helper let's you download pretty much all videos encountered on almost every website. Very handy since a lot of customers ask me to download their videos to add content to their Yellow Pages video & website.
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:08 am

Seamonkey. Ie more like original Firefox.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Kahless » Thu May 08, 2014 12:45 pm

FireFox with AdBlockEdge add-on.

Does that adblock work better then adblock plus?

I had been a long time Firefox user but I had lower end hardware at the time and Firefox was just way to slow. Switched to Chrome because it was really fast. Now i'm back with Firefox.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Chrome with Adblock Plus, I disabled "hw acceleration" in the settings and now it never runs my gpu up ( like it used to and what Kahless was complaining about ). Very happy with it. :D

You have to go to Settings, then click on "Advanced Settings" then uncheck this:

Use hardware acceleration when available
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Thu May 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Nice, thank you. I may do that and switch back to chrome.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 08, 2014 4:47 pm

8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Fri May 09, 2014 3:51 pm

I disabled hardware acceleration like you said on Chrome but it didn't seem to help. Still jacks up my GPU utilization and fans the moment I open Chrome to the google home page. Close it out and my GPU utilization drops back down.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Fuzz » Fri May 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Well there's your problem. Google homepage has to load like 6 different colours. Quite intensive.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Kahless » Fri May 09, 2014 5:32 pm

I think it takes all 6 of my CPU cores plus 6 of the hyperthreaded ones plus SLI video cards. Google gets away with its carbon foot print with its solar farm.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri May 09, 2014 6:35 pm

Kahless wrote:I disabled hardware acceleration like you said on Chrome but it didn't seem to help. Still jacks up my GPU utilization and fans the moment I open Chrome to the google home page. Close it out and my GPU utilization drops back down.

Weird, my Chrome does not do that... gpu stays idle with hw acceleration disabled and gpu temp never budges with Chrome open. Perhaps it is one of your addons causing this? ( doubt it but possible ). Oh well, at least you tried... guess you are a FireFox convert now... :)

Also try changing your homepage to something other than "ilikebigbuttsandicannotlie.com" ! :twisted: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Kahless wrote:What browser does everyone use and how come?

I just finally switched from Chrome to Firefox. Chrome always has had very high gpu utlization for me. It kicks me GPU fans up to like 60 percent when it is open so I got tired of hearing the extra noise when the browser is open and i'm not gaming. Firefox has little to no GPU utilization.

Using Chrome, did not notice that.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Fuzz wrote:Well there's your problem. Google homepage has to load like 6 different colours. Quite intensive.

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Also try changing your homepage to something other than "ilikebigbuttsandicannotlie.com" ! :twisted: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Mon May 12, 2014 5:36 am

For anyone on Firefox, you are going to want to get this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/reviews/

Classic Theme restorer, to make it not horrible again. Not sure why Mozilla butchered it so much....
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 pm

For anyone using Chrome or FF, check out "Privacy Badger" add-on:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/privacy-badger

MAY 1, 2014 | BY PETER ECKERSLEY AND COOPER QUINTIN AND YAN ZHU

Help EFF Test Privacy Badger, Our New Tool to Stop Creepy Online Tracking

EFF is launching a new extension for Firefox and Chrome called Privacy Badger. Privacy Badger automatically detects and blocks spying ads around the Web, and the invisible trackers that feed information to them. You can try it out today:

Privacy Badger is EFF's answer to intrusive and objectionable practices in the online advertising industry, and many advertisers' outright refusal to meaningfully honor Do Not Track requests. This week, Mozilla published research showing that privacy is the single most important thing that users want from their web browsers. Privacy Badger is part of EFF’s growing campaign to deliver that privacy by giving you the technical means to disallow trackers within the pages you read on the Web.

This is an alpha release; we've been using it internally and don't think it's too buggy. But we're looking for intrepid users to try it out and let us know before we encourage millions of people to install it. If you find bugs, you can file them on github against either the Firefox or Chrome repos as appropriate.

How does Privacy Badger work?
Privacy Badger is a browser-add on tool that analyzes sites to detect and disallow content that tracks you in an objectionable, non-consensual manner. When you visit websites, your copy of Privacy Badger keeps note of the "third-party" domains that embed images, scripts and advertising in the pages you visit.

If a third-party server appears to be tracking you without permission, by using uniquely identifying cookies to collect a record of the pages you visit across multiple sites, Privacy Badger will automatically disallow content from that third-party tracker. In some cases a third-party domain provides some important aspect of a page's functionality, such as embedded maps, images, or fonts. In those cases, Privacy Badger will allow connections to the third party but will screen out its tracking cookies.

Advertisers and other third-party domains can unblock themselves in Privacy Badger by making a strong commitment to respect Do Not Track requests. By including this mechanism, Privacy Badger not only protects users who install it, but actually provides incentives for better privacy practices across the entire Web.

So users who install Privacy Badger not only get more privacy and a better browsing experience for themselves, but actually contribute to making the Web as a whole better for everyone.

I just installed it in Chrome for more privacy, will see how it works...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri May 16, 2014 10:54 pm

This is interesting:

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bays-ant ... ds-140516/

PIRATE BAY’S ANTI-CENSORSHIP BROWSER CLOCKS 5,000,000 DOWNLOADS

BY ERNESTO ON MAY 16, 2014 C: 21

NEWS

The Pirate Bay’s anti-censorship browser continues to rapidly expand its user base. The Tor-based PirateBrowser, which allows people to bypass ISP filtering and access blocked websites, has already been downloaded more than five million times since its launch

piratebrowserIn celebration of its 10th anniversary last August, The Pirate Bay presented a gift to its users – the PirateBrowser.

Since The Pirate Bay is censored in countries all around the world, many users have to jump through hoops to access it. The PirateBrowser software allows people to bypass these restrictions, without having to use a proxy site or other circumvention tool.

The browser is based on Firefox and utilizes the Tor network to obfuscate people’s locations. It is meant purely as a tool to circumvent censorship and unlike the Tor browser it doesn’t provide any anonymity for its users.

The browser idea clearly appealed to a wide audience with the number of downloads going through the roof right from the start.

Recently, PirateBrowser achieved a new milestone. The Pirate Bay team informs TorrentFreak that more than five million people have downloaded a copy of the tool from the official website. That’s an average of more than half a million downloads per month.

Since its first release there haven’t been any additions to the software, but this will change in the coming weeks. The Pirate Bay team will push out an update soon with upgraded versions of the software. In addition, the new release will have support for social media sites, to serve users in countries where these services are restricted or blocked.

Another new feature will be to have lists of blocked sites per country, so users are only redirected through a proxy site when it’s needed.

In a separate and even more ambitious effort the team also continues the development of a special BitTorrent-powered application, which lets users store and distribute The Pirate Bay and other websites on their own computers. Instead of bypassing external censors, the new tool will create its own P2P network through which sites can be accessed without restrictions.

This “p2p browser” should be able to keep The Pirate Bay operational, even if the site itself is pulled offline. There is currently no estimated release date set for this second project, but it will take a few more months of development at minimum.

FAQ

Does it make me surf the net anonymously?

No, it's not intended to be a TOR Browser, while it uses the Tor network, which is designed for anonymous surfing, this browser is ONLY intended to circumvent censorship.
The Tor network is used to help route around the censoring / blocking of websites your government doesn't want you to know about.

If you are looking for something more secure you may want to try a VPN like PrivacyIO.

8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:27 am

Neat.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Next

Return to General Software Forum