Cutting vents in Asus N53SV

Join our hot discussion of overclocking, tweaking, cooling and modding of CPUs, graphics cards,mainboards,cases,fans. Squeeze all juices out of your hardware with X-bit's community!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Cutting vents in Asus N53SV

Postby Lope » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:17 pm

EDIT:

Sorry I just realized this part of the forum is not being used much. Feel free to delete my thread, I'm gonna post elsewhere. thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience.
---------------------------------

I have an Asus N53SV laptop that runs too hot and shuts itself down at 100% load because of CPU temps.

I'm planning to make these cuts today (the red squares) I'm hoping it will not compromise the case's rigidity too much and cause the motherboard to flex too much during transport.
http://imgur.com/a/m9u9A#0 (this is an album, you can click thru the other pics)

I also want to remove the Heatpipes and replace the thermal compound because when the core temp is 72C the highest temp seen on the copper square or heatpipe is only 42C.
It looks like the heatpipes are soldered to all 3 shims and heatsinks shown there. If I release the screws on the CPU and GPU will it just pop off?
Lope

Re: Cutting vents in Asus N53SV

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:24 am

I think your post sits here well.. it is a type of modding you are considering..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 am

Sorry I just realized this part of the forum is not being used much. Feel free to delete my thread, I'm gonna post elsewhere. thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Meh, still the right place to post and used much or not, we still see the post.

I'm planning to make these cuts today (the red squares) I'm hoping it will not compromise the case's rigidity too much and cause the motherboard to flex too much during transport.

That is a LOT of holes... It probably will compromise case rigidity, but it´s hard to guess if it´s too much or not. My guess is it will be ok(unless the case is too thin at least), but definitely no promises or guarantees.

I also want to remove the Heatpipes and replace the thermal compound because when the core temp is 72C the highest temp seen on the copper square or heatpipe is only 42C.
It looks like the heatpipes are soldered to all 3 shims and heatsinks shown there.

Well, i think there´s your problem. Looking at the pics i´m not really seeing much of any heatsinks at all, heat spreader and heatpipes passing over them with limited contact surface area is all unless i´m missing something.

Can´t say i´ve opened any laptops recently but it certainly feels like there should be more contact surface there.

Sorry, can´t give anything more specific than that.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed May 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Sorry Lope, guess nobody is much for modding their laptop cases around these here hills...

I googled your model of laptop plus the word "cooling" and came across your other thread here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... t=18597215

So you have already modded your lappy and have much cooler temps now, good work! 8) :D

BTW, laughing at somebody's suggestion to use "nylon stockings" as an air filter over the holes you cut in your case and you replied that "I don't have any stockings"... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:BTW, laughing at somebody's suggestion to use "nylon stockings" as an air filter over the holes you cut in your case and you replied that "I don't have any stockings"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby mhudon » Mon May 12, 2014 4:49 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:BTW, laughing at somebody's suggestion to use "nylon stockings" as an air filter over the holes you cut in your case and you replied that "I don't have any stockings"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

:shock: You saying it's not normal for me to wear my wife's stockings along with my leopard string on Sundays? :shock: :cry:
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 am

Oh no, its totally normal, you should see what I wear around my cave here most days...

on second thought, NO PICS PLEASE!! ( goes for me too! ) :mrgreen: :scout: :lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 13, 2014 8:09 am

:lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Overclocker's and Modding Club