PCI-Z, freeware tool for detecting unknown PCI/-E/-X devices

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

PCI-Z, freeware tool for detecting unknown PCI/-E/-X devices

Postby bbanelli » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Greetings to all,

I am the author of PCI-Z, freeware lightweight system utility designed to provide information about (unknown) PCI (plus PCI-E aka PCIe, PCI-X...) devices and helps you find appropriate device drivers.

PCI-Z is designed for detecting unknown hardware on your Windows based PC. It will help you determine vendor, device and certain details about device even if you don't have drivers installed. Software uses The PCI ID Repository, a public repository of all known ID's used in PCI devices: ID's of vendors, devices, subsystems and device classes. It is used in various programs (e.g. The PCI Utilities) to display full human-readable names instead of cryptic numeric codes.

You can find drivers for your operating system without a problem! Find drivers for your WiFi cards, audio cards, network cards or any other PCI peripheral.

So, basically, it pretty much resembles lspci on *nix, while providing both GUI and CLI.

The author of CPU-Z has granted me permission to use a name similar to his product. Thanks Franck!

So, to sum it up, software if 100% portable freeware without any malware/adware, site is also ad free and I hope you will enjoy and find this little tool useful.

http://www.pci-z.com/

In addition, I hope I haven't missed the appropriate forum if there is such. Generally, I would much appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have!

With my best,

Bruno
bbanelli

Re: PCI-Z, freeware tool for detecting unknown PCI/-E/-X devices

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:41 am

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for posting your PCI-Z detection tool on our forums! While I have not used your product ( yet ), I see that you have gained recognition for it already and deservedly so!

You are listed on Major Geeks site:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_z.html

This tool might be invaluable for those dealing with older machines ( refurbs, upgrades etc. ) that require a fresh load of Windows... instead of staring at all those "Yellow Exclamation Marks" on "unknown devices" in Device Manager, or having to physically rip the PCI-based cards out of the motherboard to identify them properly, this tool could save you all that hassle. 8)

Kudos on your work on this tool so far, and glad to hear you are continuing to improve it and are open to suggestions from end-users. If I can think of any way to improve it ( or anyone else here that uses it and has comments ) then we will surely post them in this thread for you, cheers! :D

Just to explain a little further how your tool works, I have copied the following from your website:

PCI-Z is a freeware lightweight system utility designed to provide information about (unknown) PCI (PCI-E, PCI-X...) devices and helps you find appropriate device drivers.

PCI-Z is designed for detecting unknown hardware on your Windows based PC. It will help you determine vendor, device and certain details about device even if you don't have drivers installed. Software uses The PCI ID Repository, a public repository of all known ID's used in PCI devices: ID's of vendors, devices, subsystems and device classes. It is used in various programs (e.g. The PCI Utilities) to display full human-readable names instead of cryptic numeric codes.

You can find drivers for your operating system without a problem! Find drivers for your WiFi cards, audio cards, network cards or any other PCI peripheral.

List of compatible OS:

Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows Server 2000
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2012
Windows PE
Windows Neptune
Bart PE/Reatogo
ReactOS

Both 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (x64) Windows versions are fully supported, where applicable. In addition, you can run PCI-Z on ReactOS in full functionality. ReactOS is a free open source operating system based on the best design principles found in the Windows NT® architecture - providing completely and in all ways legal and free platform for running PCI-Z without any Windows licenses necessary. Software will NOT run on Windows 95, 98 or ME.

It does not require any library but default Windows ones. No Visual Studio C++ redistributed, no .NET platform, no Java. Windows components such as WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) are also not required.

There is no installation or configuration! Simply run the file and wait until you get the report. Afterwards, right click on the line to get options (copy all data or just a segment) or export the whole list.

No configuration of whatsoever is needed.

The author of CPU-Z has granted me permission to use a name similar to his product. Thanks Franck!

Key features
detects all PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E cards, even if your device manager doesn't recognizes them
helps you find drivers for your Windows OS
one file only needed for running - 100% portable, no installation needed, no Internet connection needed
reports devices with drivers issues
daily updates with PCI ID database
small size, small memory footprint
spyware/malware free - VirusTotal report and Malwr for x86 version, VirusTotal report and Malwr for x64 version
freeware!

How to use
Although PCI-Z is very simple to use, there are some considerations to be taken into account.

PCI-Z has embedded PCI ID database for redundancy and ability to work in the strict and closed environments. However, there are several options to load (not necessarily, but usually) newer PCI ID databases. PCI-Z will unpack its embedded PCI ID database to temporary folder but will also check current folder for 'pci.ids' of newer date. If there is newer PCI ID database in current folder, PCI-Z will automatically use it instead of embedded one. You can still force load embedded PCI ID database 'pci.ids' from your temporary folder by using "Database" -> "Load new" option in the application.

PCI-Z has the ability to take screenshot of itself by clicking on "File" -> "Screenshot". Screenshot will be taken as 24 bit PNG.

By right clicking on listed device, there is an option for drivers search - "Search for drivers". That option will run a simple Google query in your default Internet browser with vendor name and your operating system version. This does not guarantee that you will find your driver, nor am I responsible for any potential damage!

Option for checking whether there is new version of the PCI ID repository and automatic download and usage is available through "Database" -> "Check for update" menu. Do note that PCI-Z will override any 'pci.ids' file currently in your folder if you choose to download newer version. You can also check if there is new version of PCI-Z, however, you will have to manually download it from this site.

You can send your PCI-Z reports to e-mail from the application. That requires 3rd party SMTP server that has no authentication or security such as SSL/TSL.

Since version 1.2, I have decided to embed both CLI and GUI versions of PCI-Z in one file. That will result in loading both GUI and "blank" console (CLI) window once you start PCI-Z. Except for the visual effect that all users are not accustomed to, GUI functionalities of PCI-Z have remained the same.

PCI-Z has command line options for advanced users. Details about those can be accessed by running PCI-Z from console (CLI) with '/?' switch/parameter.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby bbanelli » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:49 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Hi Bruno,

Thanks for posting your PCI-Z detection tool on our forums! While I have not used your product ( yet ), I see that you have gained recognition for it already and deservedly so!
First of all, I would like to thank you once again for not considering this to be spam or whatever unsolicited post. PCI-Z did gain recognition, however, I am still confronted as a spammer or even a bot (wow! :)) on some places.

This tool might be invaluable for those dealing with older machines ( refurbs, upgrades etc. ) that require a fresh load of Windows... instead of staring at all those "Yellow Exclamation Marks" on "unknown devices" in Device Manager, or having to physically rip the PCI-based cards out of the motherboard to identify them properly, this tool could save you all that hassle. 8)
Basically, that was the original intention. Yes, I am aware people are perfectly capable of checking device manager and Googleing appropriate drivers themselves manually, but this just saves few minutes of your life and costs about 700kb.

Kudos on your work on this tool so far, and glad to hear you are continuing to improve it and are open to suggestions from end-users. If I can think of any way to improve it ( or anyone else here that uses it and has comments ) then we will surely post them in this thread for you, cheers! :D
I can only once again express my gratitude for being able to present this on a community such as Xbit Labs. Thank you once again and looking forward to any feedback or comments!

Just to explain a little further how your tool works, I have copied the following from your website:
Thanks, I didn't want to do it to begin with for my first post. :) I will be modifying some of the documentation in any case, but this should be enough to begin with, although tool itself is rather self explanatory.

With my best to all,

Bruno
bbanelli

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 am

bbanelli wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:Hi Bruno,

First of all, I would like to thank you once again for not considering this to be spam or whatever unsolicited post. PCI-Z did gain recognition, however, I am still confronted as a spammer or even a bot (wow! :)) on some places.

I approved your post because I found it useful for our members, found no evidence of spam messages (not on the site as well) and didn't think "bot" for a second!

Welcome aboard :D
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:55 am

True, while we discourage links ( aka spam in most cases ) in a new member's first few posts, this is Freeware and a valid and useful tool, so we give exceptions for that situation of course! 8) :D

Get on the bus, the PCI bus... :whistle:

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby bbanelli » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:05 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:I approved your post because I found it useful for our members, found no evidence of spam messages (not on the site as well) and didn't think "bot" for a second!

Welcome aboard :D

Hammer_Time wrote:True, while we discourage links ( aka spam in most cases ) in a new member's first few posts, this is Freeware and a valid and useful tool, so we give exceptions for that situation of course! 8) :D
I can only thank you once again, since users community is pretty much the point of this kind of software.

Get on the bus, the PCI bus... :whistle:
If it was only this simple. :specs:

People often ask me what use is my software if they don't have any PCI(-E/-X) devices in their "slots"; basically, most of today's PC peripherals are connected via PCI *bus*, whose physical aspect is only one part of whole definition of the bus (signals, command set, electrical specification...). Sadly, especially in some prior times, your picture could well be "plain old" 64 bit PCI that could have 33MHz operations, that was basically equal to 66MHz 32 bit specification that the very same board could have. Naturally, your picture probably has PCI-X, since they usually had quite hot (thus the heatsink) controllers on board.

Ah, electronics. :D

BTW, one of the "global" aspects of this project, if I may, would be expanding The PCI ID repository (http://pciids.sourceforge.net/) with additional data. Truth to be said, Windows are mostly representing the majority of desktop and workstation environment and since tools that used this de facto standard database for PCI devices on *nix were not so much popular in Windows environment, this is a great opportunity to expand the database with your devices or correct mistakes if you encounter some.

http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/mods/?action=help?help=newitem

If anyone is reluctant to use diff tool or register to submit or discuss additional inputs to database, you can always let me know on info (at) pci-z (dot) com and I can make the necessary changes, hence helping the whole community.

Best regards,

Bruno
bbanelli

Postby Jordi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 am

Nice little tool. Thank you, bbanelli.
Jordi

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Yup, good work. Even if i probably wont ever use it, but IF i NEED it, it´s excellent that it exists. Because there will always be situations where it is needed.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Kahless » Thu May 08, 2014 12:54 am

Thats awesome I have one unknown PCI device in hardware manager that for the life of me I don't know what it is. I'll have to give it a try

Edit:

just tried it. this is the info it gave me for my unknown device. Although this is more info then I had before i'm not sure if there is quite enough here for me to find exactly what I'm missing. Communication controller seems a bit vague. like isn't everything on the motherboard responsible for some sort of communication?

Communication controller Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset MEI Controller #1 The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) VEN_8086&DEV_1D3A&SUBSYS_84EF1043
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby mhudon » Thu May 08, 2014 7:31 am

Kahless wrote:Communication controller seems a bit vague. like isn't everything on the motherboard responsible for some sort of communication?

Communication controller Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset MEI Controller #1 The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) VEN_8086&DEV_1D3A&SUBSYS_84EF1043

MEI Driver: Management Engine Driver for Intel Desktop Boards. Here's a post from guy that had a similar issue with an Asus X79 board and resolution:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24678-Windows-8-Pro-X79-Intel-MEI-8.1.0.1252
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Kahless » Thu May 08, 2014 12:42 pm

I installed it and it made the unknown hardware go away. Not sure what I was lacking by not having that installed.

EDIT:
I found a newer version on asus's website that is specific for my board.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 11, 2014 5:02 pm

:cool:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Software Forum