Dying grandmother uses Oculus Rift to walk outside again

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 am

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/19/56297 ... side-again

By Kwame Opam on April 19, 2014

Roberta Firstenberg had long loved walking outside and caring for her garden. However, a hard battle with cancer had weakened her so that going outside was no longer possible. In a bid to give her one more view of the outside world, Roberta's granddaughter Priscilla, a game artist and developer, programmed an Oculus rift to give her grandmother the chance to walk again.

As The Rift Arcade reports, Priscilla reached out to Oculus last fall in the hopes of getting a dev kit Roberta could use. With the help of the Oculus Tuscany demo, Roberta can be seen "gliding" around a Tuscan villa and talking excitedly about being able to climb stairs. "You can be in pain," she says, "but, somehow, when you see a blue butterfly reach out to kiss you... it makes you realize we are all a part of this world..."

Priscilla continued to experiment with the Rift in the subsequent weeks, letting Roberta explore using Google Street View. She even worked on an experimental build filled with waterfalls and butterflies, but her grandmother's cancer spread before she could finish. Roberta passed four weeks later, but hopefully this experience was enough to ease some of her pain.

8) :D Oculus Rift VR will be of huge benefit to those elderly/crippled/disabled people who have mobility problems and are bed or chair-ridden most of the time! Kudos to Priscilla for making this happen for her now-deceased grandma!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Dying grandmother uses Oculus Rift to walk outside again

Postby Silver » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Any news on when the retail version will be released ??
Im sure ive seen *to be released in 2014* somewhere... unless its postponed.

I wonder if Doom (4) will support occulus rift.

Meh its 3.44 at night but couldn't sleep.
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:37 am

July 2014, you can pre-order one here for $350:

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

Q: What is the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2, its features, and what does it come with?

A: The Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) is a development kit meant for developers that want to create virtual reality content for the upcoming consumer version of the Oculus Rift.

New features:

- Positional Tracking

- Low Persistence OLED Display

- Built-In Latency Tester

What’s included:

- Headset

- 2 pairs of vision lenses

- External camera (for positional tracking)

- Camera USB cable

- HDMI-DVI adapter

- Sync cable

- Power cord with adapter and 3 international power adapters (UK, AU, EU) - (to power the USB located on the Rift)

For specific details, please visit the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 product page located at http://www.oculus.com/dk2.

Q: What are the minimum requirements and recommended specifications for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Minimum requirements: A computer running a Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS 10.8 or higher, or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system, 2 USB ports (at least one powered), and a DVI-D or HDMI graphics output.

Recommended specifications: A desktop computer running a dedicated graphics card with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output, with capability of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher.

Q: I currently own the original Oculus Rift Development Kit. Can I trade it in or return it for an Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: We are not accepting trade-ins or returns for credit toward a Development Kit 2 purchase. Note that you can still use the original development kit to create content for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift.

Q: How do I order an Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: You can order the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 at our order page located at https://www.oculusvr.com/order. We accept credit card and PayPal payments.

Q: What is the “promo code” field on the order page for and how do I get a “promo code”?

A: The promo code field is for the entry of Store credit codes that were offered to early Kickstarter backers that chose “Oculus Store credit.”

Q: If I have an Oculus Store credit code, can I apply it to my Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 purchase?

A: Yes, you can apply the code to your purchase in the “promo code” field. If you use a credit card, the Store credit will be deducted from the reservation deposit.

Q: What happens when I pre-order the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Pre-ordering an Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 will reserve your place in line for when we begin shipping.

If you are paying by credit card, you will see a temporary "authorization hold" on the full balance of your purchase, including taxes and shipping. After the card verifies the funds, the authorization hold will drop off and a charge for $50 (per unit ordered) will be processed. If you are using a Visa/Mastercard Debit Card (tied to your checking account), please make sure you have the funds available for entire purchase price to cover the temporary authorization hold.

If you choose to pay with PayPal, we will charge the full amount when you place the pre-order. Either way, you will pay the same total amount before we ship your development kit out to you.

Q: Why am I charged different amounts depending on whether I pay by either credit card or PayPal?

A: Credit card processors allow us to charge a deposit of $50 and they put an authorization hold on the remaining balance, inclusive of shipping and taxes. PayPal requires us to charge the total, inclusive of shipping and taxes, up front, and does not allow deposit payments.

Q: I just ordered my Oculus Rift Development Kit 2. When is it going to ship out to me?

A: We are currently scheduled to start shipping the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 in July of 2014. We will ship units in the order in which purchases were completed, with consideration of the number of development kits available in each region.

Q: Can I use the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 on my gaming console?

A: No. The Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 only works on computer systems running Windows, Mac OS, or Linux.

I know they call it "development kit" and not "retail" as you mentioned, but you can still order one for $350 and have it shipped in July or soon thereafter... 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/19/5629778/dying-grandmother-uses-oculus-rift-to-walk-outside-again

By Kwame Opam on April 19, 2014

Roberta Firstenberg had long loved walking outside and caring for her garden. However, a hard battle with cancer had weakened her so that going outside was no longer possible. In a bid to give her one more view of the outside world, Roberta's granddaughter Priscilla, a game artist and developer, programmed an Oculus rift to give her grandmother the chance to walk again.

As The Rift Arcade reports, Priscilla reached out to Oculus last fall in the hopes of getting a dev kit Roberta could use. With the help of the Oculus Tuscany demo, Roberta can be seen "gliding" around a Tuscan villa and talking excitedly about being able to climb stairs. "You can be in pain," she says, "but, somehow, when you see a blue butterfly reach out to kiss you... it makes you realize we are all a part of this world..."

Priscilla continued to experiment with the Rift in the subsequent weeks, letting Roberta explore using Google Street View. She even worked on an experimental build filled with waterfalls and butterflies, but her grandmother's cancer spread before she could finish. Roberta passed four weeks later, but hopefully this experience was enough to ease some of her pain.

8) :D Oculus Rift VR will be of huge benefit to those elderly/crippled/disabled people who have mobility problems and are bed or chair-ridden most of the time! Kudos to Priscilla for making this happen for her now-deceased grandma!

8) 8)
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:13 am

Ah yes Development kit.. but thats not retail.
So im guessing no retail this year then....

I have paied for beta software.. wich I kind of did regret. But Im not paying for Beta hardware.
Specs:

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 am

:lol:

At least it is "Development 2" kit, ( not original Development 1 ) :mrgreen:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Announcing the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) -- July 2014.
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/announcing ... kit-2-dk2/

All in, DK2 delivers a massive leap forward in terms of the quality of the VR experiences you’re able to create and enjoy. The consumer Rift will be another major step beyond that, but in the meantime DK2 brings the world closer to great consumer virtual reality than ever before.

Even with all these changes, we’ve tried to keep the price as low as possible. DK2 will be $350 at launch and you can pre-order the hardware starting today at www.oculusvr.com/order. We expect to begin shipping the first batch of DK2s in July, and we’ll ramp up production based on interest.

We’re deep into development on the consumer Rift. We have a lot more planned, including improvements to comfort, resolution, tracking, software, ergonomics, optics, industrial design, and the overall experience.
Specs:

Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:17 am

Silver wrote:I have payed for beta software.. wich I kind of did regret. But Im not paying for Beta hardware.

Unless it comes with free upgrades up to and including the retail version....?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 am

Silver wrote:Announcing the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) -- July 2014.
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/announcing ... kit-2-dk2/

All in, DK2 delivers a massive leap forward in terms of the quality of the VR experiences you’re able to create and enjoy. The consumer Rift will be another major step beyond that, but in the meantime DK2 brings the world closer to great consumer virtual reality than ever before.

Even with all these changes, we’ve tried to keep the price as low as possible. DK2 will be $350 at launch and you can pre-order the hardware starting today at http://www.oculusvr.com/order. We expect to begin shipping the first batch of DK2s in July, and we’ll ramp up production based on interest.

We’re deep into development on the consumer Rift. We have a lot more planned, including improvements to comfort, resolution, tracking, software, ergonomics, optics, industrial design, and the overall experience.

Yes, probably best to wait for the "Retail" kit then to get those improvements... perhaps in 2015 for the Retail Kit? ( random guess ). Since FB bought Oculus VR company, they now have the financial backing needed to get this ready for Retail... 8) I sure hope they don't plaster FB logos all over it or embed FB app in it lol!! :mrgreen: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Im sure they accepted the FB buyout because they needed a cash injection to get to retail production.. before Sony or Microsoft got there first.

But perhaps the FB guy just really really wanted to see this thing finally happend after all VR have been discussed for probably more than 20 years.
Anyhow its nice to see that its actually beeing seriously developed by any company.
Specs:

Silver
X-bit Guru

Return to Breaking Technology News