KitKat

Discuss Smartphones here. This forum is dedicated to strictly Smartphones and Smartphone OS only.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

KitKat

Postby Kahless » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:28 pm

KitKat was FINALLY released for the LG G2 for Verizon. Its been out for ages on the G2 on other carriers. Verizon has got to be the worst at getting updates out. And mine wasn't even OTA I had to use verizon windows upgrade assistant to even get it.
1: Coolermaster HAF-X - i7 4930K 4.6ghz - 32gb GSkill Trident X 2133mhz - 256gb Samsung 840 Pro - 16Tb HD - Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - Corsair H100i - EVGA Superclocked 780Ti SLI - Denon AVR-1713 - Energy 5.1 Take Classic - Steelseries Apex - Windows 8.1 Pro - Corsair AX1200.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Re: KitKat

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Will come to my S3 as well but don't know when..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Its faster but my battery life is reduced.
1: Coolermaster HAF-X - i7 4930K 4.6ghz - 32gb GSkill Trident X 2133mhz - 256gb Samsung 840 Pro - 16Tb HD - Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - Corsair H100i - EVGA Superclocked 780Ti SLI - Denon AVR-1713 - Energy 5.1 Take Classic - Steelseries Apex - Windows 8.1 Pro - Corsair AX1200.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:13 am

Huh? I thought it would increrase battery life (a bit)..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 pm

If it was supposed to it sure didn't.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Kahless is right, KitKat does drain battery life on the LG G2:

http://www.reddit.com/r/lgg2/comments/2 ... t_upgrade/

LG G2 battery drain after Kit Kat upgrade (self.lgg2)

submitted 1 month ago by ravendmensah

I just updated my T-mobile to Kit Kat OTA and now that the update has installed, my battery life is terrible. Phone has been on for 30 minutes and it has dropped from 100% to 90%. For this phone, it is unusual. It says that my phone will stay on 3.5 hours. Is anyone else having this issue? Now I am regretting updating at all.

[–]ArkoriumInternational 2 points 1 month ago
Same here battery seems to be be somewhat worse than before (on D80220B).

[–]ulbador 2 points 1 month ago

http://www.zdnet.com/kitkat-giving-you- ... 000027051/

[–]Sniper_CoEPoE 2 points 1 month ago
This is very weird, I tought Kitkat will give you more battery saving than older OS. So Im also installing this Kitkat update on my LGG2 and guess what? It drains my battery too lol. Now I want go back to 4.2.2, this Kitkat update is nonsense, 2x battery drain!

[–]charisk123 1 point 19 days ago*
Same to me but i found a SOLUTION. Uninstall the LG weather theme (has a bug) and install the Weather and Widget app (set at settings not to use GPS for location), app is found on google play store.
Additional tip is to set battery save mode at settings - location. Battery is perfect after did that.

Also found this tip:

Go in settings, general, battery click on expected time remaining and it will give you a list of apps that has ate the most percentage of battery. Mine was google play services. I did a factory reset. Dont update the google maps because that seemed to be the cause of my problem. Hope it helps

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I turn off GPS and battery back to normal. Why GPS is so hungry ?

Do you have hangouts installed and do u use it? My battery was AWESOME until I started using hangouts frequently. Google play services just raped my battery. after uninstalling hangouts my battery is mostly back to normal.

vzw stock Rom 422 xposed. I use greenify on some apps and was getting about 30 hrs total life with 3+ hours screen on time before installing/upgrading/using hangouts and about 12-15 after. Google play services would consistently be responsible for 40% battery consumption with 5000+ wakes. the next closest would be android system with 500 wakes and 25 to 30% battery...

this is all with the same usage habits.

imo hangouts and other Google apps destroy battery life. after uninstalling hangouts my battery life immediately returned closer to normal

Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data

I guess disabling GPS/locating service and turning off WiFi ( when not using WiFi of course ) will help improve your battery life if you have not done so already... If you must use GPS from time to time, there is a setting for it called "Battery Saving Mode" that you can enable to make the GPS use less juice ...

Perhaps try the above bolded "solution" and see if it improves your battery life, good luck!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info. This phone has a pretty large battery and I could go all week without charging it. Now it has to be on the charger every day or it will be dead the next day. I'll have to try some of the above tips.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Most welcome of course, let us know if any of these "tips" improve your battery life for ya! :D

Make sure you get rid of "Google Play Services" or "Hangouts" if you have either of those installed...those are battery rapers...

My friend carries around a secondary external battery kit for his smartphone, that way he never worries about running out of juice on the go... those are not cheap, but if battery power is an issue then it could be money well spent...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:39 pm

I removed Play services and hangouts. I will see how that helps and report back. One thing I noticed is my phone has like between 500 and 600 MBytes free at any time. That seems a bit low considering the only app I have installed on it that didn't come with it is Kindle E-Reader. Other then that it is stock. I only use it as an e-reader and occasional phone calls and texts. Sure is a memory hog.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Good, lets see if removing those things boosts your battery life!

Regarding the low amount of free ram, I found this related info:

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g2-k ... eo-335642/

Leonardo Rojas Benjamin • 3 months ago

Thanks for your suggestion!
I'm afraid that I'm afraid of screwing up my ZL's apps' configurations. Haha
I don't want the update to destroy my satisfaction with this device.

I'm just being paranoid. Ha. I'll update later n.n

Btw, have you seen an improvement in battery life? How about RAM management? I had to use a tweak to make the system really use the 2GB of RAM, before, it closed too soon/fast any minimized app. You might have not noticed this, but you can try this: pick 2 folders containing a similar amount of data of some 500MB each, of audio and video respectively, compress them with 2 different file managers (Es and Root Explorer, for example) use one for each folder. Then open a site with your browser, then open NFS MW and play some races till you see the notification for the compression jobs telling you the compression is done.

If you are playing and no notification shows up in some minutes, it means the jobs were killed by the system. Also, you can minimize the game and see the progress of the jobs from time to time. Minimizing should not reload the launcher.
This all will take you less than 10 minutes and the performance of the game should not be affected. If the jobs were killed by the system you'll see a .tmp file in the folder where there should be the compressed folders. This will mean that the system can't handle that multitasking, that it's not well configured and the 2GB of RAM are not being used as they should.

Please, try this. If the jobs got killed I'll help you with the tweak. Then you'll see real multitasking.

- L

*NFSMW cause other games are too lightweight.

If you are adventurous then try the tweaks and customizations available for the G2:

http://www.droidviews.com/tweak-and-cus ... d-modules/

Tweak and Customize LG G2 with G2 TweaksBox and G2 Xposed Modules
posted by Rakesh Shukla

There was a time when rooting only allowed installing apps that require root access. System modding on Android used to mainly achieved with a custom mod or ROM and to flash them, we had to install a custom recovery on our device. With the passage of time, custom development activities in Android have seen radical changes. Our developers keep coming with new ways of customizing Android devices.

The most striking piece of development that has changed the way we can tweak and customize Android devices, was the introduction of rovo89′s Xposed Framework. This custom framework takes advantage of root access on Android devices and with the help of a module, modifies it through a placeholder framework to achieve desired effect.

Xposed Framework can be seen as a panacea for Android devices that can fulfil all your wishes. If you are an LG G2 owner and have already rooted your phone, Xposed can open the doors of customization to you. Today, we’ll see how you can tweak and customize LG G2 with G2 TweaksBox and G2 Xposed modules. The list of tasks these two Xposed modules can do on your LG G2 will surely overwhelm you.

Also see:
How to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on LG G2

Performance tweak :

http://true-android.blogspot.ca/2014/03 ... droid.html

Modded custom ROM - they claim 14% memory improvement though which is not bad...

mebbe worth a Flash , if you feel lucky, well do ya, punk?? :wink: :twisted: :mrgreen: :whistle: :lol:

Here is how to install it if you have the G2 VS980 phone:

http://techegis.com/install-pac-man-kit ... zon-lg-g2/

I am also not sure if you are interested in hacking your G2 to be able to perform 4K 120 fps video recording:

http://www.reddit.com/r/lgg2/comments/1 ... fps_video/

LG G2 4.4 mod adds 4k and 720 120 FPS video! (self.lgg2)
submitted 1 month ago* by BERLAUR
Tested UHD -- it works! Output is 3840x2160. 40mbps. VLC doesnt like it, had to use media player classic to play.
Source
For those lucky enough with the 4.4 update you can get the download here. This would also mean the the LG G2 is the only smartphone with 4k recording and OIS :)
With a bit of luck we might get the extra features from the LG Pro 2 ported to!
Edit:
You can see some sample footage here:
720p 120fps
43 comments
sorted by: best
[–]Seref15T-Mobile 11 points 1 month ago
This is the first time I've seen 120fps video on my 120hz monitor.
Oh my god.
Oh my god...
Why the * isn't this a standard? It's so smooth!
[–]WACOMalt 5 points 1 month ago*
There's plenty of debate on frame rate. My answer as a vfx guy is that the professional movie pipelines simply aren't ready to do it yet. But dont worry, I'm sure by Transformers 7 we'll be seeing a High Frame Rate Imax 3D, at least for those types of movies.
I personally prefer 24 for narratives BECAUSE it's worse (hear me out). When I watch a movie at like 48 or something higher it feels like I'm watching a live event.. like I'm seeing the actors on a stage. This is great for sports, but I feel that it hurts narratives. I think having that distance from the movie, in it's imperfection, really helps to let your brain take over and aids suspension of disbelief.
That said. Yes 120fps is better in all ways aside from helping me get into a movie for any reason other than the "theme park ride" aspect of it.
permalinkparent
[–]boomstickfullofjelloSprint -4 points 1 month ago
In a nutshell, Corporate Greed.
permalinkparent
[–]xi_mezmerize_ixVerizon 3 points 1 month ago
In a nutshell, not a huge market for it.

That is CRAZY!!! :shock: :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Everyone should have 4K 120fps video recording :)

My battery life seems alot better since removing those two things. Only thing now is in my notifications I keep having many messages about things that can't connect to google play services.

I don't have that much luck with hacking android. I have an Asus Transformer Infinity tablet I bought when they came out. It is the worst piece of junk ever. I put a custom Rom on it a while ago hoping it would speed the thing up but it didn't help much. Now it just collects dust. Worst most expensive tablet ever made. Shame on Asus.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Good stuff!! Better battery life now...

In order to reduce those annoying notifications you can tweak them using:

Tweak and Customize LG G2 with G2 TweaksBox and G2 Xposed Modules

No comment on Asus TransFoamer Tablet ( makes you foam at the teeth in frustration ). If you really hate it that much just mail it to me and I will see what I can do to it! :twisted: :lol: :whistle:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Right now that Transformer tablet has a non-functional kitkat on it. I just need to take the time to put Chromi-X jelly bean back onto it. For some reason the Kitkat rom I got for it which is specific to that tablet won't boot it. It instlaled just fine but so i'm not sure what the issues is. It keeps going back into twrp recovery when it fails to boot.

As for my G2 I spoke to soon the battery life still sucks. I changed the location settings from "high" to conserve battery power. Found that one through google. Will see how that works out.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:16 am

Kahless wrote: It keeps going back into twrp recovery when it fails to boot.

It goes into what?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 am

U dunno what Twerp Recovery is??!!

Educate yourself my fine feathered friend! :mrgreen:

http://www.addictivetips.com/android/wh ... ces-guide/

What Is TWRP Recovery & How To Install & Use It On Android Devices [Guide]

by Haroon Q Raja on May 04, 2013
Android

Till just over a year back, ClockworkMod (aka CWM) was the go-to custom recovery for pretty much every mainstream Android device. Things have changed a lot since, with a newer player entering the game and gaining a lot of critical acclaim, as well as a huge user base. TeamWin Recovery Project – or TWRP for short – is a fully touch-based custom recovery that was initially developed for Nexus devices, but has since been made available for countless other smartphones and tablets as well, in form of both official and third-party builds. Just like we took you through a very detailed tour of ClockworkMod recovery and its features, we’re going to guide you through all the features of TWRP right after the jump.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:03 am

No, didn't know that..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 am

I didn't care to know about it but that awful asus tablet forced me to learn everything I could about it to unlock and root it to find a better performing android for it. Didn't work its hampered to much by poor hardware.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby sevendp » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:20 am

after upgrading my GN2 to Kitkat:
- battery life increased a bit :)
- smoother UI :)
- the "hide apps" is disappear :(
- application like Total Commander can not delete file anymore :(
Seeder since 2013 ...
sevendp
X-bit T-ara Qri fan

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:54 am

Apps will be updates I suppose, and that "hide apps" thing is probably somewhere else..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 am

yes, hide apps is "hiding" :wink: :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Smartphones