Building my new system,

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Building my new system,

Postby tommy_tee » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi folks,
I haven't got around to doing the RAID 1 setup that I posted last (tech support) weekend as I am only putting pc together tonight and have a bit of a problem,
The Noctua D14 LGA 2011 is about 10mm (about .4 of an inch) away from touching the cpu due to the RAM, the corsair Vengence ram is sooo $%^^ing high (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-%28 ... 9-24-xmp-1)

So now unless can return the RAM for a lower profile one I'll need to swap out the heatsink, any suggestions to a good heatsink?
thanks
Tom
tommy_tee

Re: Building my new system,

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 am

Recommend you keep the Noctua cooler and exchange the ram for some lower-profile ram ( easiest solution here ).
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby mhudon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:08 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Recommend you keep the Noctua cooler and exchange the ram for some lower-profile ram ( easiest solution here ).

I second!

You could also keep your memory and remove the heat spreaders; Ram doesn't need that much cooling anyway.
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:11 am

Is that Noctua that good? Another cooler may be cheaper..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby mhudon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:Is that Noctua that good? Another cooler may be cheaper..

The NH-D14 is an excellent piece of cooling hardware. Equal or better cooling power than closed loop water coolers with 240mm rad and silent operation. And you don't just get a good heat sink; I've got many Noctua high static pressure fans (8 to 10) still running fine and silent after four years.

It's size is preventing me from using it along with the with Artic Accellero cooler or in my machine. It's doing great with the overclocked FX-6350 in the second rig though.

It also tastes like lemon :licks:, you really should get one!
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby tommy_tee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:54 pm

unfortunately its taken me two weeks to start building the system since it was delivered, and Scan.co.uk will not accept returning the - am 7 days over :fist:
seriously the fins on the vengence ram are ridiculously large, i read that this ram is low voltage so little heat and just a marketing ploy??

So as Sauron_Daz suggests yep the only solution is buy another cooling system, i should find a home for the noctua fairly easyily,
i have settled to use a cosair h100i to replace the impressive and highly recommended Noctua, (I am still trying to mentally process how big this thing is :shock: ) it will work nicely with the 750d case,

once this headache is sorted then its back to sorting out the raid :?
cheers all
T
tommy_tee

Postby Fuzz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Get out the dremmel!
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Kahless » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:21 am

Just doing a google search and there seems to be a number of people that have modified their Vengeance ramsinks by either taking them off or cutting them off with a dremel like Fuzz suggested. Noctua makes some of the best heatsinks there are from what I have read. I would modify the ram or sell it and buy other lower profile ram. There is a hardware review I read about a month ago somewhere that shows the cooling effects with ramsinks and they didn't do anything for it. It just looks cool and shows off a particular brand when you have a window. Its marketing.

EDIT: Ah I see you bought a Corsair H100i. A fine cooler as well.
1: Coolermaster HAF-X - i7 4930K 4.6ghz - 32gb GSkill Trident X 2133mhz - 256gb Samsung 840 Pro - 16Tb HD - Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - Corsair H100i - EVGA Superclocked 780Ti SLI - Denon AVR-1713 - Energy 5.1 Take Classic - Steelseries Apex - Windows 8.1 Pro - Corsair AX1200.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby tommy_tee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:04 pm

yep, i think think about taking a saw to those 'cooling fins' alright, but settled for swapping out the heatsink toa h100i (I have 1 x noctura going cheap ;-)
Received replacement cooler yesterday, just fitted it tonight and couldn't have been easier.

I am at the last stage of completing the build before I hit the power button and have a question about the SATA ports on the MB that I hope i can get some advise on.

my system has:
1 X ssd drive for the OS, - 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 6 Gbit/s
2 X Identical 3.5 HD for raid 1 config ( Western Digital Black - 3TB - 6 Gbit/s)
and an ODD
The MB has 2 x intel SATA connectors (Brown in photo) for 6GB/s Hard drives,
the middle black connectors are for 3GB/s
and the remaining 2 gray connectors (Marvell) are for 6GB/S hdd.
Question: what way should i connect these up, so everything is optimal?

thanks
Tom
tommy_tee

Postby Kahless » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 pm

I see you have the X79 chipset like myself. Its good that you asked that question. On my particular board after reading a review on it I have an Intel Controller on mine and an ASmedia controller. The Intel controller proved to be far superior to the ASmedia controller. About a 25 percent difference. I don't know specifically about your board but you might check out some reviews for it online and see which controller (Intel vs. Marvell) is the fastest and put your operating system drive on the fastest controller.

Did you go with a 4 fan push/pull config on your H100i?

EDIT: here is a review showing the Intel controller beating the Marvell controller
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mother ... 9-review/5
1: Coolermaster HAF-X - i7 4930K 4.6ghz - 32gb GSkill Trident X 2133mhz - 256gb Samsung 840 Pro - 16Tb HD - Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - Corsair H100i - EVGA Superclocked 780Ti SLI - Denon AVR-1713 - Energy 5.1 Take Classic - Steelseries Apex - Windows 8.1 Pro - Corsair AX1200.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 pm

Hi Tommy_Tee,

Put your SSD on the Intel 6.0 Gbps SATA controller as Kahless wisely advised above ( max performance for SSD drive ). Put the burner ( optical disc drive ) on any available SATA port, does not matter as it is a relatively low-bandwidth device...

Your motherboard's onboard Marvell SATA controller is designed for either RAID 0 or 1 modes, so attach your dual 3 TB hdd's to the Marvell SATA ports, then configure both of those drives for RAID 1 ( mirror ) mode in your mobo's BIOS. If you dunno how to do that, it is section 4.4.5 in your mobo manual:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/SABERTO ... 5?page=126

Good luck!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:18 am

I would suggest using Intel RAID for the 2 drives, plug them into the 6GB/s ports and your single SSD into the Marvel controller. I only recommend that because I have used Intel RAID before, and trust it to work properly. You could do some searching and see which one performs better, but I suspect you won't find to much difference.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby tommy_tee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:37 am

I think its fair to say there isn't one solution fits all,
someone else suggested keeping all on the Intel controllers for reliability and performance wasn't noticeable when swapping to marvell ( for the ssd) and Intel's 6G for the HHDs, then i read use 3GB/s b got mechanical drives and 6G/s doe the SSD,

@ Kahless, I just went with the bog standard install as per h100i manual, case>rad>fans (push?) - seems to be general consensus (from what i read) that push and pull offers big increasing performance, but push v pull is almost a draw.

thanks for help guys,
Tom
tommy_tee

Postby Fuzz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 am

If you didn't have enough 6Gb/s ports for all the HDD's and had multiple SSD's then ya, it would make sense to put them on the 3Gb/s port. But since you have lots, use them.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Kahless » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:41 am

The review I read where it showed greater performance with the Intel controller pointed something out about the Marvell controller having some Raid issues. Don't remember what they were exactly off the top of my head.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:54 am

Ah, Kahless is right...

I change my recommendation from putting hdd's on Marvel controller to the Intel controller for RAID, [edit] and put your SSD on the Marvel 6.0 Gbps port since the Intel 6.0 controller only has 2 ports that will be used by your 2 HDD's. [ End Edit].

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:59 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Ah, Kahless is right...

I change my recommendation from putting hdd's on Marvel controller to the Intel controller for RAID, along with your SSD ( the 6.0 Gbps SATA ports of course, not the 3.0 ). Enjoy!

There are only 2 Intel 6Gb/s ports. The Marvel controller is fine for non-raid, I use several of them, never any problems.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Good point, I edited my post above... :oops:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby tommy_tee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:23 pm

agghh, RAID is least of my worries, installed graphics cart and went to boot, fans spin, green lights on gtx card, 1 green light on MB and a red one near cpu,

swapped graphics card (basic one) and nothing appears, removed the ram except for one stick in D1
Cannot tell what Bios version I have as I cannot see it,
monitor works when i plug it into another pc.
not sure if i should run the bios update or the cap converter http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/ as I cannot tell what i have (does this make any sense)
looking on web many say unplug this and unplug that, checked standoffs, 750d had integrated standoffs, i took MB out of case and tried it with the same crappy result,
I'll have to look at this in morning, complete head wrecker
tommy_tee

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Did you try resetting the bios ( cmos ) yet?

You should have a button for that ( CLR_CMOS or similar ) on your mobo, or at least a jumper to clear the bios settings... you have to do this with almost all new mobo's these days...

Or just pull the mobo battery out for 15 mins ( with psu unplugged of course ) then pop it back in to achieve same results....

you of course remembered to plug in the +12V 4-pin power connector near the cpu socket too right?

Your Corsair H100i might be causing the problem here ( cpu fan header senses no fan attached so board will not boot and you get the red led warning light you mentioned ):

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=120553

Hi

Running the h100i cooler on a Asus Maximus Hero VI board (new build). When I plug the h100i fan pin into the cpu header I get a error on boot "no cpu fan detected". If I plug a case fan into the board header the error goes away (not the board).

I am looking for confirmation from anyone that is running a similar set up that they are also or are not getting this error. Want to know if it is a common problem at this stage or just a problem with this h100i unit.

Regards

If cannot figure error out, only use 1 ram stick in slot farthest from cpu, and remove your H100i cooler and install that huge Noctua DH-14 cooler and see if board will at least boot up for you...

good luck!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to General Hardware Forum