Sci Fi shows that didn't go far.

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Sci Fi shows that didn't go far.

Postby clone » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:25 pm

I've been watching Odyssey 5 a show that got killed in it's first season and didn't even get to air all of it's episodes at first.

this show is unbelievably amazing.... it started slow with a few hooks but it's grown, it's another FireFly, I really can't believe how good the writing is.

I'm on Episode 7 and their are 13 more..... I think I'm going to buy it just to support it.

the show was a creation from the mind of Manny Coto and he's as obsessed with it as Joss Whedon was, he still won't explain the story so as not to ruin a potential mini series he hopes to write for it to finish it.

it's on YouTube.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Re: Sci Fi shows that didn't go far.

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Related:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/10/09/top-2-w ... hows-ever/

How could they bash "Total Recall 2070" though??!!!

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/10/09/top-2-w ... ws-ever/4/

That was an awesome show!! :wink: :twisted: :incoming: :lol: :mrgreen:

btw so was "manimal" :

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/10/09/top-2-w ... s-ever/11/

... and who could forget "Shazam!" :wink:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/10/09/top-2-w ... s-ever/14/
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 am

I recognized a few of those shows and wondered what happened and totally agree on many of the episodes that got panned. the title of the thread is a little misleading because I didn't want the episodes to get pulled form YouTube.

the point of the thread is to introduce the forum to Odyssey 5..... it really is a great show with shockingly good writing.

Episodes 6 & 7 blew my mind, not so much in concept but in execution..... especially 7, it's a very touching episode.

y'know I've never really noticed how strong an actor Peter Weller really is, he dominates the roles he plays and in some ways while Star Trek Into Darkness was complete garbage I think Peter Weller was the best part of it.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:37 am

Agreed. Peter Weller is indeed an amazing actor, always enjoying watching him in movies. :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:41 am

Seconded.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 am

I enjoyed Odyssey 5 as well! Cool show!

Of course you can't have a thread like this without mentioning FIREFLY. I also miss Stargate Universe and Sarah Connor Chronicles. A few good shows cancelled before their time.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 980SLI - Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:50 am

Not sure about Stargate Universe.. maybe didn't see enough of the show.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:55 am

It had some slower episodes but it seemed like it was on the verge of getting really good.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 980SLI - Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:52 am

So why got it cancelled..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:35 am

Kahless wrote:I enjoyed Odyssey 5 as well! Cool show!

Of course you can't have a thread like this without mentioning FIREFLY. I also miss Stargate Universe and Sarah Connor Chronicles. A few good shows cancelled before their time.

Stargate universe sucked. Actually, by that time, ALL the Stargate franchise sucked horribly.
SG-1 is the only series that was decent. And even it went so bad over time it´s sad.

Just how they kept doing the "ever more invincible super powerful foes keep appearing like weed in a garden, but hey we have the mighty -GODMODE, I WIN- button to push, but of course we only push it once at the end of each season..."

:roll:
I mean sheesh, it became so bad i haven´t even bothered to check if i have seen all of the last few seasons.

I can of course agree with Firefly though. But with the man behind it being the one who did Buffy, well it´s pretty much a given that it´s decent or good.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:02 am

Firefly is great. Liked the movie (Serenity) as well.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby clone » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:26 am

Stargate universe sucked. Actually, by that time, ALL the Stargate franchise sucked horribly.
SG-1 is the only series that was decent. And even it went so bad over time it´s sad.

Just how they kept doing the "ever more invincible super powerful foes keep appearing like weed in a garden, but hey we have the mighty -GODMODE, I WIN- button to push, but of course we only push it once at the end of each season..."
some of this is true but not quite all of it.

you had a lot of things going on..... 3 shows all still active in syndication or literally active.

SG-1 got 3 more years after it was supposed to be done... I think I'm one of the few who really enjoyed the last 3 seasons of SG-1, especially the finale.

StarGate Atlantis started good and then stumbled, by season 3 it was becoming too self indulgent, the Wraith were no longer a threat.... more like 1 dimensional keystone cops to be honest but their were good storylines in StarGate Atlantis, the Replicator War to me was exceptional.

the real nail in the coffin for StarGate Atlantis was 80% of season 5, on one end was the "freezing world" episode, on the other was the "all powerful Ronin" episode and the finally was in the middle...... an empty piece of garbage.

SG-U started with a bad pilot episode and it took another 3 episodes to show some promise but then it lurched from one storyline to another, their were episodes in SG-U that were fantastic and it's final 3 episodes were great but.... man it was just so inconsistent. SG-U's biggest problem was that it was a copy of another show that lurched badly from one storyline to another until someone finally put a bullet in it. the remade BSG which while starting so amazingly well grew far to inconsistent.

p.s. I'm on episode 14 of Odyssey 5 now.... it's growing into a pretty "heavy" show that is avoiding giving any answers.

I don't believe a 5 year story arc would ever have been possible with this show.... a 2 year maybe but the lack of answers just gets old over time and the show has grown tiresome despite the individual episodes being entertaining.

the real problem with Odyssey 5 is that instead of getting answers the show is dealing with instances..... like an episode of Criminal Minds or Law & Order they are solving individual situations while going nowhere in the grand scheme and the "aliens" motivations and methods are far too unfocused.... if they wanted to blow up the earth why bother with pretty much everything they are doing? artificial constructs would only matter if the goal was conquest but Odyssey 5's stated goals are destruction, having AI's troll the web while doing nothing is equally pointless when Bright Sky is the goal and setting up shops to explore humanity is also pointless given the goal is not enslavement or a quest for knowledge but instead the destruction of everything.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Kahless » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:38 pm

I loved all the Stargate series and wish everyone of them had continued. The Wrait were boring characters on Atlantis. They should have been axed along time ago. The Asgard were my favorite characters. They started to explore some Asgard characters in Atlantis but its like they just forgot about it. Overall though fantastic show.

Not that it has failed but any Doctor Who fans here? David Tennant is still my favorite in the new series. I think Steven Moffat has butchered up the show quite a bit. They need to bring back Russell T. Davies. I can't hardly get my wife to watch it anymore after Steven Moffat took over. He killed allot of the shows mystery and charm.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby clone » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 pm

I loved all the Stargate series and wish everyone of them had continued. The Wraith were boring characters on Atlantis. They should have been axed along time ago. The Asgard were my favorite characters. They started to explore some Asgard characters in Atlantis but its like they just forgot about it. Overall though fantastic show.
I don't believe the Wraith were ever fully fleshed out, they were definitely too willing to die, and far to easily killed after the show went to lengths to explain how hard it was. they were ok for the first few years but then the show lost interest in them.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Asgard in Atlantis though...... actually the solution to their problem was to move back to the Milky Way galaxy.

I've tried to get back into Doctor Who but I feel like the show has grown to big for me to bother with.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 am

some of this is true but not quite all of it.

Didn´t say they didn´t have any good points at all, just that overall they kept piling up the bad parts to a degree that it went silly.
I still watch SG-1 and less so Atlantis occasionally. And they´re great basis for fanfics. But it´s a BIG problem when there are dozens, probably hundreds of fanfics that have distinctly BETTER storylines and plots than the original.

That´s when you really notice how lackluster the orignal is too much of the time.

the real problem with Odyssey 5 is that instead of getting answers the show is dealing with instances.....

This became normal for all the shows. And seriously, "monster of the week" style plots for any episodes of those series? It just didn´t work after the first 5 or 10 times.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby clone » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Didn´t say they didn´t have any good points at all, just that overall they kept piling up the bad parts to a degree that it went silly.
I still watch SG-1 and less so Atlantis occasionally. And they´re great basis for fanfics. But it´s a BIG problem when there are dozens, probably hundreds of fanfics that have distinctly BETTER storylines and plots than the original.
true enough and to be clear StarGate Atlantis after Season 3 started to really go downhill and then by Season 5 just fell apart more than it worked.

SG-U's biggest problem is that it took a year and a half to find solid footing for each episode while having never really gotten a good epic storyline in place.

that said the SG-U episode that I remember the most was the one where the first team to leave the group decided to stay on the artificial planet only to appear suddenly in front of the ship thousands of lightyears later and once having done a meet and greet wound up dying horribly in front of everyone.

as it turned out the beings that created the planet had thought they were taking pity on them.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 am

Kahless wrote:Not that it has failed but any Doctor Who fans here? David Tennant is still my favorite in the new series.

I am and agreed on David Tennant.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks Clone will have a look at Odyssey 5 in a few days :)
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby clone » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 pm

after 19 episodes I had mixed feelings about Odyssey 5, the show was spending a lot of time exploring humanity as opposed to trying to figure out what caused the earth to be destroyed.

the individual episodes ran the gambit from fine to exceptional and Peter Weller is a damn fine actor.... actually the whole cast was worthy but by episode 14 they'd spent a lot of time looking around and only a little time trying to figure out what happened.

the season finally was both great and a little desperate, I got the feeling they knew they were about to be cancelled so they deliberately finished on a cliffhanger in hopes of getting something to tie it up... a mini series or a made for TV movie, whatever.

I hope they do but am not desperate for it.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Kahless » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:58 pm

There is a Farscape movie in the works.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Next

Return to The Lounge