MXM upgrade for All in one pc

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

MXM upgrade for All in one pc

Postby Cid » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 am

Hello guys, long time without posting, still read the forums every now and then though :)

I recently got a gateway all in one pc ZX6970 (I echanged it for my previous laptop) for my kid, I wanted to sell the computer and build a new pc, but my fiance pointed out that doing the exchange might be best, as I would not let him use the laptop since he could easily throw it and games overheated it if I did not kept it cleaned every few months, not to mention the effect from the heat from a 1st gen quad core i7 and a discrete graphics chip on the room temps (overheating computers make me feel sick after a while), anyway I made the switch and I am happy with the new computer so far, except it does not have a dedicated graphics card, gateway does not provide any info for servicing this model as they seem to want you to go through them for anything, looking around I found that the board does have an MXM slot and some models were supposed to have nvidia graphics (found the drivers on gateways site) but I have not been able to find any models offered with those graphic cards or find an replacement parts for them, would a "generic" MXM III module work on it?, I have not opened the computer so I am not sure type A or B but that should not be an issue, from what I read some models won't take graphic cards from other manufacturers, but there are ways around it (modifying the bios on the card) but have not been able to gather much specific information for my case, any one got any experience with an mxm upgrade?
Cid

Re: MXM upgrade for All in one pc

Postby TAViX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:35 am

Unfortunately, and this is by extremely crappy design and incompetence I might add, NONE of MXM versions are compatible with each-other. So an MXM v1 is not compatible with MXM v2
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Cid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 am

Yes, I know they are not compatible between versions, or types, but lets say a I can get my hands on an MXM III type A card (which from what I've been reading is what I need), preferably Nvidia chipset, what are the chances of it just working?
Cid

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:10 am

This might work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-NVIDIA- ... 1288006727

Toshiba NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5 GB MXM3.0B Laptop Graphics Card K000127390

US $89.75

Not sure if it would work, but if you have MXM 3.0 B slot, chances are good...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Cid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 am

From the little information I have gathered I think it is a Type A MXM III slot
The 2 cards I saw it could take were nvidia 520 and 530 (mentioned on gateways site but not seen in any configuration I have found), so probably something in the 35 W range, that limits the options to Type A (which goes up to 50W)
Cid

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 pm

I see, well good luck with it! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Cid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Unfortunately there is so little information available that I don't really feel comfortable doing the upgrade, too many unanswered questions, don't really feel like paying 100 bucks for a paperweight, I was hoping one of the knowledgeable members would know about this.
In any case if I decide to give it a shot I will be sure to let you know, any suggestions comments or whatever are welcome. :)
Cid

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:46 pm

I know, I googled and binged and DuckDuckGo'd your Gateway AIO model number with "MXM" and the only results I found was that your model does have an "MXM slot" but the bastages give absolutely no info as to what type of MXM slot it is. :cry: :x :fist: :P

Well, we do know it is an MXM 3.0 slot, but not whether it is type "a" or "b" .... proof:

Similar model Gateway One "All in One" pc specs:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-One-GZ710 ... B000XFDZ18

Gateway One GZ7108 Desktop PC
by Gateway

Premium Wireless Multimedia Keyboard, 1.3 Megapixel Webcam, Power Module, AC Power Cord
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 Dual-Core 1.5GHz Processor, Shared 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz Display
Integrated 19 Widescreen TFT Active Matrix LCD, 850 - 1 Contrast Ratio, Less than 8ms response
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Up to 256MB Shared Video Memory, MXM-III Slot
2GB DDR2 Memory, Dual Channel (2x 1GB), 667MHz SO-DIMM, (PC2-5300) Expandable to 4GB

I guess you could email or call Gateway and ask them directly about it... good luck!

http://support.gateway.com/support/ask_gateway.aspx

Might take a few attempts, or having to speak to a "supervisor" to get your question properly answered here... cheers!

I searched Gateway's support page on "MXM" and this was the only result I found:

Can I remove and replace the video or loopback card in my Gateway One computer?

The video or loopback card (used with integrated video) in the Gateway® One computer is not customer-replaceable. The video card or loopback card in the Gateway® One computer is a service-only component. Do not attempt to reseat the card as a troubleshooting step.
Warning: Misalignment of the card in the slot can cause an electrical short which can damage or destroy internal components. Misalignment of the card can damage the following:

The video or loopback card
The MXM board the card is connected to
The cable from the MXM board to the motherboard
The motherboard

Not really sure what that means... never done an MXM card upgrade myself yet... :cry:

As Cid requested, if you have knowledge on this topic please enlighten us all! :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:47 am

Cid wrote:Unfortunately there is so little information available that I don't really feel comfortable doing the upgrade, too many unanswered questions, don't really feel like paying 100 bucks for a paperweight, I was hoping one of the knowledgeable members would know about this.
In any case if I decide to give it a shot I will be sure to let you know, any suggestions comments or whatever are welcome. :)

Thanks for sharing. My next laptop will have an AMD CPU with integrated video. Those are quite good and don't need such an upgrade.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Cid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Do you have any idea of where to get MXM III Type A modules?
The best I could find are an nvidia 540m and radeon 6770m with DDR5
Cid

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 pm

I guess the best place would be eBay, I know you live in Mexico so you would have to probably buy it from a US seller and have it shipped, if you trust that whole process of course (eBay in general).

As you know, Type A cards are smaller ( shorter ) than Type B cards ( longer, more power, more heat-producing design ).

So your choices in "Type A" cards are quite limited in terms of performance unfortunately.

A quick scan of eBay just now shows that you are right, those 2 type A cards you listed are the "most powerful" Type A cards available for sale there right now.

If you had a Type B slot in your Gateway, then you could put a way more powerful Type B card in it...

Solution: Sell the Gateway and buy a laptop or All-In-One that has a "Type B" slot in it! :wink: :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: ( just kidding of course ). Your Gateway is not really suited for a "performance" MXM card upgrade methinks...a shame...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 pm

Will at least be faster then the integrated video..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:12 am

Yes, but no "guarantees" it will work properly in his Gateway to Hell computer, and could be just an expensive "paperweight" in the end as he mentioned... hmmm... :?

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:45 am

That would be a..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Cid » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:20 am

I would like to upgrade the All in one, it's a really nice computer, I don't need a speed demon, it's for my kid, but want to be able to play at least at medium settings at 720p, the processor should do well but it does need more graphic power.

Regarding the buying options, I usually get things from ebay, I can get things shipped to the US, my problem there is the return policy, as I might not go and pick up the card (or have my sis come) before the period expires, that is not an issue most of the times, but on this situation it is very likely that I will end up returning it.

Regarding the card models, I am a little disappointed that they are really old ones, I mean, I know newer models might be just the same chip, but sometimes they have a little better performance or longer driver support, so a geforce 730 or 740 would be nice, or a radeon 7770m or 8770m instead of the older model, I'm not looking for a geforce 780m, that would be overkill for my i3.
Cid

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Yup, I know what you mean... but all the "newer" higher performance MXM cards are of the larger "Type B" variety which as you know you cannot use as you have a Type A slot...too bad!! If I see any newer Type A cards floating around out there for a decent price I will notify you in this thread...cheers!

I guess you won't be buying this one then! :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-NVIDIA-N14 ... 27dd8fb273

DELL NVIDIA N14E-GTX-A2 GEFORCE GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 MXM 3.0 LAPTOP VIDEO CARD

Price:US $749.99

:twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Cid » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:12 pm

hahaha costs more than the computer hahaha
I've thought of upgrading the CPU too, but that is even less likely, it supports 2nd gen quad cores with a 65w tdp, might support 3rd gen, but the i3 should be more than enough for any video card it can take, and I won't really see a lot of benefits for other uses, my kid uses word, browses the web and plays a few browser games, I'd like to be able to play my games on it, I have a laptop with am nvidia 740m which can play most of my titles, but I really am no fan of gaming on it. laptops get hot and are close to you, makes me feel sick after a while (at least the old one did), and I am under the impression that it might shorten its lifespan.
Cid

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:44 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Yup, I know what you mean... but all the "newer" higher performance MXM cards are of the larger "Type B" variety which as you know you cannot use as you have a Type A slot...too bad!! If I see any newer Type A cards floating around out there for a decent price I will notify you in this thread...cheers!

I guess you won't be buying this one then! :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-NVIDIA-N14 ... 27dd8fb273

DELL NVIDIA N14E-GTX-A2 GEFORCE GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 MXM 3.0 LAPTOP VIDEO CARD

Price:US $749.99

:twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

What a pricetag..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum