Sochi!

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Sochi!

Postby Fuzz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Time for my favourite Olympics, the Winter ones! What's got you stoked? Opening/closing ceremonies? Skiing? Bobsledding? The good ol' hockey game?

I'm always a fan of the Downhill and Super G ski events, Skier cross was very entertaining in Vancouver and I get some sort of demented obsession when curling is on...So much strategy and skill! Speed skating is also high on my list. What could I do without? Ugh. Figure skating.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Re: Sochi!

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 am

Downhill and Super G ski events, and of course speed skating.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:40 am

I look forward to the new "SlopeStyle":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -skis.html

Debut for the maddest Olympic sport ever

It's brand new and if you’re over 25 you’ll never have heard of it. But ‘slopestyle’, the most extreme form of freestyle skiing and snowboarding, will be the sensation of Sochi 2014. What’s more, Team GB’s good at it.

Competitors descend a series of increasingly large ramps, from which they hurl themselves into the wildest possible spins, twists and tumbles.

In the words of GB’s James ‘Woodsy’ Woods, 21, the world’s top-ranked freestyle skier who sports an adventurous half-long, half-shaven hairdo: ‘You have free rein, there are no rules. We call it a jam session.’

As well as Woodsy, Brits to watch are slopestyle skier Katie Summerhayes, 18, Billy Morgan, 24, a freestyle snowboarder (and former acrobat) and veteran boarder Jenny Jones, 33.

... with a language all its own:

Mute, Indy, Stalefish and Melon — all ways of grabbing a snowboard in mid-air, depending on which hand you use, and where you grab.
Goofy — riding a snowboard with your right foot forward, as opposed to ‘Regular’, which is left foot forward.
Frontside — leaping off a ramp, or on to a rail forwards, as opposed to ‘Backside’ (backwards).
180, 360, 540, etc — the number of degrees of spin achieved in any move. So 1080 would be three full rotations
Corked — a move is corked when the competitor is skewed vertically or horizontally in mid-air as they perform their move.
Flip — any move that involves a competitor being upside down.
Olympic eccentrics …

Look out for Vanessa Vanakorn, alias Vanessa-Mae, in the giant slalom. The multi-millionaire violinist, 35, has a world ranking of 3,166 but thanks to her father’s nationality and extraordinary qualifying rules, will represent that famous winter sports mecca, Thailand.
His Serene Highness Prince Hubertus ‘Hubie’ von Hohenloe, 55, is the oldest skier in Olympic history. The former night club manager, pop singer and photographer is competing in his seventh Winter Olympics (for Mexico, oddly, given he’s a German prince), this time in a skin-tight mariachi costume.
Winston Watts and Marvin Dixon — two members of the Jamaican bobsleigh team. The unlikely presence of a Jamaican bobsleigh team at Calgary 1988 inspired the hit film Cool Runnings. Their comeback is funded by a series of online appeals that have raised £67,000.
And here's The Games by (very large) numbers...

The build-up to these Olympics has been all about corruption, contracts for cronies, overspending, lawsuits and criminal investigations. And above all, boggling amounts of money.
£31bn — the total bill for Sochi 2014. Which is roughly four times the figure President Putin originally predicted, more than was spent on all the previous Winter Olympics put together and even beats Beijing to be the most expensive Olympics ever.
£20bn — the total amount that, according to Russian activists, has ‘gone missing’ in the pockets of Mr Putin’s oligarch chums.
£423m – cost of the 40,000-seat Olympic Stadium, originally budgeted at £30 million.
P.S. The Olympic torch has been on its most ambitious journey yet — 40,400 miles, including a trip to the International Space Station, the world’s deepest lake, Russia’s 5,387ft-deep Lake Baikal, and Europe’s highest mountain, the 18,510ft Mount Elbrus in Russia’s Caucasus range.

Violinists in the Giant Slalom, should be fun!!

It is not easy to play the violin while skiing the slalom!! :P
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:16 am

Pretty violiniste!
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:51 am

http://theweek.com/article/index/256009 ... s-olympics

Why Sochi's terrible bathrooms are the perfect symbol for Putin's Olympics

Something stinks in Sochi, and it's not just the shoddy plumbing

:lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:42 am

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 am

this time in a skin-tight mariachi costume

Winston Watts and Marvin Dixon — two members of the Jamaican bobsleigh team. The unlikely presence of a Jamaican bobsleigh team at Calgary 1988 inspired the hit film Cool Runnings. Their comeback is funded by a series of online appeals that have raised £67,000.

COOL! :mrgreen:

Look out for Vanessa Vanakorn, alias Vanessa-Mae, in the giant slalom. The multi-millionaire violinist, 35, has a world ranking of 3,166 but thanks to her father’s nationality and extraordinary qualifying rules, will represent that famous winter sports mecca, Thailand.

Well heck, better than noone competing for them!

I wish her good luck even if her ranking says she´s unlikely to even come close to any medals.

And of course that she´s cute never hurts. :D
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Fuzz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 am

I suspect she will not complete her run...Giant Slalom is fairly technical.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Fuzz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:37 pm

Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:04 pm

8) :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Fuzz wrote:I suspect she will not complete her run...Giant Slalom is fairly technical.

If she´s managed to be on any kind of ranking system, then why wouldn´t she be able to complete?

I mean, i remember once i watched a competition and it became "oooh big news!" and all because the winner was ranked something like in the 17-hundreds or something.

Normally yeah sure, anyone outside the first 500 or so rankings tend to have zero chance for a medal, but even that does happen occasionally.
And you simply don´t get into those rankings if you´re unable to complete at all, as that would mean not getting ANY points.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Hah... :P
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 am

Hammer_Time wrote:http://theweek.com/article/index/256009/why-sochis-terrible-bathrooms-are-the-perfect-symbol-for-putins-olympics

Why Sochi's terrible bathrooms are the perfect symbol for Putin's Olympics

Something stinks in Sochi, and it's not just the shoddy plumbing

:shock: :lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby TAViX » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:33 am

Ski Jumps all the way. Hardest sport from all Olympics.
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Fuzz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Fuzz wrote:I suspect she will not complete her run...Giant Slalom is fairly technical.

If she´s managed to be on any kind of ranking system, then why wouldn´t she be able to complete?

I mean, i remember once i watched a competition and it became "oooh big news!" and all because the winner was ranked something like in the 17-hundreds or something.

Normally yeah sure, anyone outside the first 500 or so rankings tend to have zero chance for a medal, but even that does happen occasionally.
And you simply don´t get into those rankings if you´re unable to complete at all, as that would mean not getting ANY points.

From the looks of her rank, its probably near the bottom. Its fairly common for skiers to not finish a race. Sure, she has probably finished some, and placed last of the finishers in most of them. I'd suspect she is going to want to push hard, this being the olympics, thus increasing the chance of missing a gate. She will probably also be one of the last skiers, giving her a tougher rutted out course. Not saying for sure she will DNF, but its a good possibility.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:50 am

More Sochi horrors... painted grass :lol:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/olympics/20 ... ous/26237/

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Tiggerz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Luge is my favourite - almost as good as SBK.
My posts in X-Bit forums don't mean I condone racist or discriminatory comments made by forum members regarding any other individuals. I support the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & recognize that all people are born free & equal in dignity & rights & should be treated accordingly in the spirit of brotherhood, freedom, justice and peace in the world
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby Fuzz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

SBK?

Solo BBQ King?
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby TAViX » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:16 am

Fuzz wrote:SBK?

Solo BBQ King?

No, actually is Snow BBQ King:

:mrgreen: :lol:
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 am

SnowBoard something K? I dunno what SBK is, not much of a winter olympics follower :cry:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to The Lounge