The Day We Fight Back Against Mass Surveillance

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

The Day We Fight Back Against Mass Surveillance

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:16 am

https://thedaywefightback.org/

On February 11th, in celebration of the win against SOPA and PIPA two years ago, and in memory of one of its leaders, Aaron Swartz, thousands of websites will be participating in The Day We Fight Back, a protest against mass surveillance.

Will you?
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: The Day We Fight Back Against Mass Surveillance

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:27 am

Great initiative!
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:13 pm

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:37 am

I think "watched" means they are scanning for certain words or expressions.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:53 am

Probably, but all our data is still being "scanned" by them, even if just by computer and not a human being... flagged on keywords for humans to investigate of course... still a huge invasion of privacy.. sucks..

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:01 am

What about encrypted messages? Are they looked into all the time?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 am

Especially encrypted messages... as you know the NSA put a "backdoor" into the encryption scheme that Yahoo uses to encrypt emails ( just to use one example here ), they can decrypt whatever they want to basically, they paid RSA millions of dollars for the privilege to do so...bastages...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-576162 ... sa-report/

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:27 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Especially encrypted messages... as you know the NSA put a "backdoor" into the encryption scheme that Yahoo uses to encrypt emails ( just to use one example here ), they can decrypt whatever they want to basically, they paid RSA millions of dollars for the privilege to do so...bastages...

Which is why i might go over to using my own encryption. Would need too much annoying work, but at the same time, my encryption is about as close to uncrackable as you can get as it scrambles message length in an untrackable way. If you see a message of a 1000 letters, it could represent 25 words just as well as 2500 words, severely messes with all types of cracking.

Run it through PGP or some such afterwards and even the best of NSA would have to spend a ridiculous amount of time to crack it.

Just to find that i´m mocking them again... :twisted:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 am

:lol: Word! :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:05 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Especially encrypted messages... as you know the NSA put a "backdoor" into the encryption scheme that Yahoo uses to encrypt emails ( just to use one example here ), they can decrypt whatever they want to basically, they paid RSA millions of dollars for the privilege to do so...bastages...

Yes, that is known. I think they have backdoors to most, if not all encrypting methods.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:

Which is why i might go over to using my own encryption. Would need too much annoying work, but at the same time, my encryption is about as close to uncrackable as you can get as it scrambles message length in an untrackable way. If you see a message of a 1000 letters, it could represent 25 words just as well as 2500 words, severely messes with all types of cracking.

Run it through PGP or some such afterwards and even the best of NSA would have to spend a ridiculous amount of time to crack it.

Just to find that i´m mocking them again... :twisted:

:lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 am

Well, the "Day" is here!

Please sign the petition:

https://necessaryandproportionate.org/take-action/EFF

Thanks!

( The 13 Principles or "Internet Commandments"! ) 8) :scout: :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:02 am

Signed.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Tx

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 pm

np.

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:55 pm

I live in a pretty big gun nut area and its common for people to have own 8+ guns. They even just passed legislation in my state allowing anyone to carry guns onto college and university campuses. I know someone here who used to do allot of internet surfing in anti-government websites though they have never participated in anti-government anything they just tend to lean in that direction of thought. One day they went to buy a gun and found out they were put onto a 30 day waiting list each time they try to buy a gun. After inquiring into it further they found out their internet search habbits got them flagged as high risk and put them onto the list. Which is kind of silly as they probably already own 15+ semi-auto's and full auto's of varioud kinds.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 980SLI - Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Heh, well that´s certainly a govt seriously close to the edge, or potentially beyond it, in misuse of power.

At least that´s one thing better here then, as the above requires finding out who has each IP, and here, the ISPs are really prickly about handing over that info, one even going as far as rejecting a court order.

If i was in your place i´d start thinking about using proxy, maybe even a 2 stage proxy like my friend is considering(he´s paranoid like that ;) ), with one going through a country which NSA&Co doesn´t have easy access.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Kahless » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 pm

I figure if they want some information from me bad enough there probably isn't anything I can do to prevent them from getting it
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 980SLI - Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 am

Kahless wrote:I live in a pretty big gun nut area and its common for people to have own 8+ guns. They even just passed legislation in my state allowing anyone to carry guns onto college and university campuses. I know someone here who used to do allot of internet surfing in anti-government websites though they have never participated in anti-government anything they just tend to lean in that direction of thought. One day they went to buy a gun and found out they were put onto a 30 day waiting list each time they try to buy a gun. After inquiring into it further they found out their internet search habbits got them flagged as high risk and put them onto the list. Which is kind of silly as they probably already own 15+ semi-auto's and full auto's of various kinds.

Heh, that does not really surprise me. After all the mass killings down there it is actually good to hear there is at least a "30 day waiting list" for buying guns for supposedly "High Risk" persons. Interesting how their "internet search habits" got these people flagged as "high risk" and put on the wait list though, thanks for sharing!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

Kahless wrote:I figure if they want some information from me bad enough there probably isn't anything I can do to prevent them from getting it

That is absolutely true. The only way you could avoid them getting any "info" on you is to live in a cave with no internet or phone access of course.

You could take a computer or game console though and play games on it of course ( no internet access as previously mentioned! ) to keep from going stir crazy and still be "private":

Hmm, that reminds me about Fuzz's cave out in Alberta... I hope he has it fully prepared for our co-habitation by now... you are in luck btw, since Graf no longer visits these forums, the bunkbed above me is now open... so you may take it if you like... so far just me, Fuzz, his wife, and you if you choose to hang out with us during the upcoming Armageddon/Apocalypse... :wink: :twisted: :whistle:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Breaking Technology News