Daft Punk

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Daft Punk

Postby clone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:14 am

1st off I love the name Daft Punk... perfect name for a band.
2nd they suck, they suck huge sweaty cotton balls
3rd how about we start / they start being honest and change their name to include Disco in it because that is the music they are playing.
4th their "mythical" backstory is stupid after 10 seconds, their choice to hide their appearance is brilliant and should never be broken.... if they can keep the helmets on and shut the hell up we will never get to know them and they'll always remain somewhat of a mystery. (their music still sucks ass but at least they have that)
5th they got album of the year at the Grammy's? what the hell is wrong with the Grammy's?

p.s. why does Lorde look so old?.... she's 17, like born in 1996 yet she looks 30+... she do meth or something?
p.s.s. I hate where music has gone because for the most part it isn't anymore.
p.s.s.s. I hate disco like Tommy hates Pikers.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Re: Daft Punk

Postby Celt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:32 am

TBH Daft Punk have never been about punk . . . they do electronic disco/funk and they do it well. R.A.M. was well crafted . . .admittedly ot everyone's cup of tea, but for those who like theri stuff it was well done and worth the time and effort ($1m woth allegedly) put into it . . .

I have to agre with the first two postscripts though . . . even if, as far as the third one is concerned I am catholic in my musical appreciation . . . well with a few exceptions for auto-tuned singers (or rappers) backed by a sampled track from someone else's creation . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:30 am

Well, looks like you and I are in disagreement!

Obviously music is very personal based on your own tastes. RAM is technically an incredible piece of work, weather you like the music or not. I suspect that's why it won. I'm not sure who the challengers were, but given music these days, maybe they didn't have much competition?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby mhudon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 am

In my opinion, The Heist from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis was a better album. Not a fan of this genre of music, but still very enjoyable. The videos clips produced for Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us were very nice productions too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zNSgSzhBfM
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:44 am

It looks like we need to extend Clone's title from "X-bit Film Critic" to "X-bit Film and Music Critic" here :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daft_Punk

Daft Punk is a French electronic music duo consisting of musicians Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter.[3][4][5][6] Daft Punk reached significant popularity in the late 1990s house movement in France and met with continued success in the years following, combining elements of house with synthpop.[4][5][7] The duo is credited with producing songs that are considered essential in the French house scene. The group was managed from 1996 to 2008 by Pedro Winter (Busy P), the head of Ed Banger Records.[8] Early in the group's career, the band members were influenced by groups including The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones.[9]

Bangalter and Homem-Christo were originally in a band called Darlin', which disbanded after a short period of time, leaving the two to experiment musically on their own. The duo became Daft Punk, releasing its critically acclaimed debut album Homework in 1997. The 2001 release of Discovery was even more successful, driven by the club singles "One More Time", "Digital Love", and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger". In March 2005, the duo released the album Human After All to mixed reviews. However, the singles "Robot Rock" and "Technologic" achieved success in the United Kingdom.

Daft Punk toured throughout 2006 and 2007 and released the live album Alive 2007, which won a Grammy Award for Best Electronic/Dance Album. The duo composed the score of the film Tron: Legacy and in 2010 released the soundtrack album of the film. In January 2013, Daft Punk left EMI Records for Sony Music Entertainment's subsidiary label Columbia, and released Random Access Memories in 2013 to critical acclaim. The lead single "Get Lucky" became an international success, peaking in the top 10 in 32 countries. Random Access Memories led to five Grammy wins in 2014 including Album of the Year, as well as Record of the Year for "Get Lucky".

Daft Punk is noted for its elaborate live stage shows, in which visual elements and effects are incorporated with the music. The group is known for its emphasis on using visual and story components associated with their musical productions. Daft Punk is also known for its use of disguises while in public and/or performing; specifically ornate helmets and gloves to assume robot personas in most of their public appearances since 2001. The duo rarely grant interviews or appear on television.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 7347.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I

"modern" disco! 8) :D :whistle:

PS: Regarding Lorde, yes, but I have seen 13 year olds with lots of makeup and slutgear on that look over 30... Lorde is almost "ancient" at age 17 in the "teen pop world" these days... :P

She sure has nice hair! :licks:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:57 am

mhudon wrote:In my opinion, The Heist from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis was a better album. Not a fan of this genre of music, but still very enjoyable. The videos clips produced for Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us were very nice productions too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zNSgSzhBfM

Good songs and videos! I too am not the biggest "fan" of this genre, but I can appreciate the talent and work that went into these songs/videos! 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 am

maybe they didn't have much competition?
probably.
In my opinion, The Heist from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis was a better album.
I believe this might be a problem with the grammy process.... maybe, but that album feels like it's been around forever, could have been the early exposure and because they put it in the movie Pain & Gain but while I initially enjoyed it I can't say I love it anymore.

unlike Daft Punk their album was notably distinctive, refreshing and fun... I don't believe they'll be able to repeat it but it was a wonderful effort.

as for Daft Punk while they are likely better than PSY to me they are just another PSY. it's at the core of their sound, instead of using talent they synthesize it all, their is no commitment in their music..... while I know their is a large market for homogenous compilations that don't push boundaries I can't support them. I grew up during the Disco heyday just before Metal took off and man was I glad that died horribly.... almost as glad as when the end of Metal's dominance came because it like Daft Punk was no longer ahead of the curve but instead the last element of the curve. while the early days of it were interesting the entire genre grew to become a distinction between maintaining the status quo for the sake of control versus exploring limits. I despised later disco like I grew disappointed in Metal and more notably what was considered "metal".

on a positive note you have to clear out the trash before you can bring in something new so hopefully this is a sign.

my guess is 3 to 5 before it gets better, the industry has always pushed as hard as possible against individual expression at the expense of control.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 am

You are welcome to your opinion, of course, but I've just got to point out that you are flat out wrong on a few points. Daft Punk is one of the few electronic producers out there that uses actual talent to make their music. RAM is a collaboration of many artists past and present, with vocals from many contributors, guitars, orchestras, a choir... They are ridiculously committed to music and sounds, they will spend weeks just getting a tone just right. They don't just puke out pop crap. You may not like it, and that's fine, but to suggest they are equivalent to PSY, well, lets just say pretty much anyone with an understanding of what they do would disagree strongly with that.

If you want, I highly recommend watching this, it may give you a deeper understanding of how they make music.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... yIDSAHpd7s
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby clone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am

but I've just got to point out that you are flat out wrong on a few points. Daft Punk is one of the few electronic producers out there that uses actual talent to make their music.
If you want, I highly recommend watching this, it may give you a deeper understanding of how they make music.
it sounds like Daft Punk spends a lot of time on it but the results are the same.

I've tried listening to Daft Punk ... to give them a chance, to understand why I'm supposed to care but it all comes up flat.

I'll provide an example because Daft Punk did the soundtrack to Tron so this can relate: The Social Network, the intro music in the Social Network strikes a chord, it's almost impossible to ignore, it's not my style of music, I don't even consider it music yet the sounds themselves reach inside and evoke.... Trons soundtrack while popular with some was.... forgettable to me because until the moment I read that Daft Punk did the music I had completely forgotten about it.

this is the game Daft Punk is playing at so I figure "well they aren't a metal band and it's all garbage but given the focus maybe they'll be able to snag my attention with something"... so I listen... and I listen, I get bored, I shut it off. I return and I listen, then I get really, really bored and nothing. I can't take it anymore so I shut if off.

it's horrid. Daft Punk is Psy, they are Yoko Ono's New York Rocks, they are a band doing something, they apparently have spoken to someone but where others thread the needle to me they are Psy.

with Daft Punk I'm reminded of one of the Star Wars movies..... not sure which but the one where Palpatine is telling Anakin about the Sith while at the theater. during that discussion I remember focusing on what they were supposed to be watching because conversation itself was stupid and I thought the show was supposed to be fascinating. I was trying to figure out where the talent lie, why would ppl applaud..... Daft Punk is the same way, why? how? why bother?

2nd part: I tried, I can't get past the music. more to the point I can't get past how manufactured it feels, sounds..... where is the edge, where is the passion.

p.s. to be clear this is not a personal attack on anyone's taste in music, I just despise the work Daft Punk has done so far and consider them yet another example of the garbage that is being pushed out of the music industry.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby mhudon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 pm

THese guys look pretty involved in their music, puts a tear to the eye :sniff:

Christians beware, this is a little extreme :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9pa3rIIwZs
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:21 pm

mhudon wrote:THese guys look pretty involved in their music, puts a tear to the eye :sniff:

Not enough blood/graphic imagery!! :wink: :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

Good that you put the "warning" for "Christians" tag before that video lol! :scout:

Gorgoroth... interesting name! Could be the name of the next Kaiju monster in the sequel to Pacific Rim methinks! :P

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:24 pm

clone wrote:p.s. to be clear this is not a personal attack on anyone's taste in music, I just despise the work Daft Punk has done so far and consider them yet another example of the garbage that is being pushed out of the music industry.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. If you think that "Daft Punk" is "garbage being pushed out by the music industry" then I have to wonder what you think of Justin Boober's "music" ?! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 pm

I'd place Daft Punk above Bieber for now.... Bieber's too young to have an opinion worth consideration but by the time he's Daft Punk's age things will most likely be entirely different.

at the moment he's as ridiculously rich as he is ridiculous...... I wonder if it'd be so bad if he got deported and lost his career in the process?

p.s. who modded the editor to put nobody in place of the artists name?
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:04 pm

I would be kind of surprised if they actually deported him...yes he does deserve it but none of the "crimes" he has committed so far have been "serious" enough for deportation... he only blew a 0.014 BAC on the breathalyzer... perhaps he was blitzed on the combination of weed, having a beer, and the x anax pill he admitted to taking that night to the cops... but he did not kill anyone ( yet ) so I doubt they will actually deport him... hopefully just being charged and spending a few hours in jail waiting for bail was enough to scare him a little, I doubt it though... the fame and money has clearly gone straight to his head... :roll:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:22 am

I would be kind of surprised if they actually deported him...yes he does deserve it but none of the "crimes" he has committed so far have been "serious" enough for deportation... he only blew a 0.014 BAC on the breathalyzer... perhaps he was blitzed on the combination of weed, having a beer, and the x anax pill he admitted to taking that night to the cops... but he did not kill anyone ( yet ) so I doubt they will actually deport him..
hopefully just being charged and spending a few hours in jail waiting for bail was enough to scare him a little, I doubt it though... the fame and money has clearly gone straight to his head.
1st: I know ppl who've been deported for much less, one guy for having been charged with possession 30 years previous was barred for life upon entry. he'd been going to Florida annually to avoid the winter when they pulled him aside at the border and informed him he was no longer welcome. had to sell his property and look into Mexico with a straight flight if the U.S. doesn't impose a no fly classification on him. (doubtful but just the idea of it annoys)

2nd part: the money and position is his new reality, he's had it for too long now and instead of appreciating it he's now believing in the position that he's entitled to it. you are correct though I doubt he'll get deported no matter how much good it would do him as a person.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby TAViX » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:28 am

To be honest I'm surprised Daft Punk didn't win more awards. This band produces one of the most original Electronic music nowadays. They are not focused on only 1 genre, they have several styles. Not only me, but a lot of critics consider them to be the geniuses of our time regarding this kind of music.
Just look at TRON Legacy. Mediocre movie, but it had one of the best soundtracks of any SF movies. And a lot of critics admitted for giving the movie better scores, because of the music that was exactly what the movie needed, even if it was at least x10 times better than the movie itself. All thanks to Daft Punk. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJBcr1LDg4

enjoy.
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby clone » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:15 pm

went through it jumping 6 minutes ahead if it wasn't working, at the 30 minute mark I stopped longer than the rest but this music does absolutely nothing for me. as mentioned it's Yoko Ono's, New York Rocks to me.

it reminds me of the efforts spent trying to get Andy Serkis an Oscar for his portrayal of the character Gollum. it's a CGI cartoon ppl, he's guiding it's (scripted) movements and mannerisms but it's still a cartoon.... give it a technical award but never for the love of all that's decent give a best supporting or best actor nod to a cartoon.

Daft Punk has no "technique", their is no technique to hitting a button. while true they are choosing the sounds it's not akin do a drummer learning to really play the drums well, a guitarist spending endless hours learning all of the varying techniques needed to fulfill their vision.

Daft Punk chooses sounds and compiles them and while I can appreciate the technology that makes it easier for artists to fulfill that vision I can't get excited about the players who are whacking the buttons. if anything I get the impression the industry would prefer everyone go the route of Daft Punk, it would make the industry more homogenous, then they can push any hack into the limelight and call them "artist." even when they aren't doing anything. literally go to a techno concert with no vocals and just try to see if they are playing a recording vs a band lip syncing during a live performance.

literally the music industry could eliminate the need for 99% of artists altogether, they'd just need a limited number of house bands to come in every so often for some studio time.... look at Daft Punk, great example, if one of them was to quit and they chose to secretly replace him... who'd be the wiser? at worst ppl would say "geez they are going in yet another different direction". and then they'd call them brilliant.

the pair is akin to the Stig from Top Gear.... just another driver.

after considering it and putting it into words I'm just shy of thinking the category itself should be eliminated as it's not award worthy.... afaic.

consider the work of Beethoven, all of the artists coming together to do something, the combined talent all focused on one goal.... that was then, all of that gone, replaced by 1 or 2 guys whacking buttons with no significant skill required.... it's just so ugly.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:09 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Image

She sure has nice hair! :licks:

Just the hair??
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:10 am

mhudon wrote:THese guys look pretty involved in their music, puts a tear to the eye :sniff:

I have to sign in.. with an account I don't have...
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:12 am

clone wrote:p.s. who modded the editor to put nobody in place of the artists name?

I think Celt did, to 'punish' hammer_Time for his frequent posts about him. :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to The Lounge