R9 290X review.

Any comments? Any suggestions? Any questions about whatever you found on our site? Tell the world about it here and find out what the others think.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

R9 290X review.

Postby clone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 pm

so Xbit just did an R9 290X review ... it's been 2 months since the card was released and while Xbit did pull the heatsink off and replace the thermal paste which does distinguish them from most websites they did not explore pulling the exhaust grill off to see what benefit it would offer.

this has been done but never officially confirmed and apparently the card runs A LOT Quieter..... because the exhaust grill is notably restrictive, I've asked other websites to explore it and not one has... it's grown annoying and now that Xbit Labs has reviewed an R9 290X I'm officially asking them to take the leap, go for the gold, grab the brass damn ring and go a little bit further.

pull the exhaust grill off the back of the card and see if the reference card runs quieter and cooler.... so much so that it becomes pleasant to use.

which is the exact claim made by an owner running 2 R9 290X's in Crossfire after he did it.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Re: R9 290X review.

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Moved thread to "Feedback" forum.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:25 am

That grill must be there for some reason....like mice?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby mhudon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 am

clone wrote:which is the exact claim made by an owner running 2 R9 290X's in Crossfire after he did it.

I'm an R9 290X owner, I did it and found only about 1.5 degree difference. I went with the After Market cooler solution instead. Others have tested this and post reports about it: http://semiaccurate.com/2013/11/11/diy-amd-radeon-r9-290x-heatsink-mod/

I certainly won't make any complain about this review. Yes, it was done 2 months after release, but I'm a "Better late than never" kind of guy.

After a quick check, I'd like to point out that this review is one of the first (if not the first) to compare the performance of the cards in 17 modern games and applications. It's also featuring very clean macro pictures showing clearly the architecture and components along with all the details someone would need to know.

Another great review! Good work Sergey!
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby clone » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:07 am

I'm an R9 290X owner, I did it and found only about 1.5 degree difference. I went with the After Market cooler solution instead.
ok so you noticed a 1.5 degree reduction in temp.

was this with the fan speed fixed or adjusting to temps because if it was adjusting to temps that's ungodly amazing.

to be clear while I respect the effort and sophistication of AMD's monitoring system I hate it at the same time. back in the day fans ran at one speed and because heat wasn't a serious issue that speed was a quiet one. now "the one" speed fans have to run at is annoying and would kill product sales so instead of improving the overall situation both AMD and Nvidia decided end users should have to put up with some annoyance.

having looked through the SA link while the benefits are universal in the end they don't amount to much, yes the card runs quieter, yes the card throttles less but overall the noise is still present and it still throttles so an aftermarket solution is likely the better route.

1st AMD should have released the R9 with a freer flowing end plate, it would have helped in every situation... not a lot but every bit counts. I have no idea why they didn't.

2nd I still don't understand why this mod has only been done by Semi Accurate, this is scandalous, such a minor mod to prove / disprove a reasonable theory. some websites have talked openly about their close ties to Nvidia and while proof is lacking their was a time when the internet explored as opposed to repeating the dogma offered by it's sponsors.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 pm

now "the one" speed fans have to run at is annoying and would kill product sales so instead of improving the overall situation both AMD and Nvidia decided end users should have to put up with some annoyance.

One of the reasons i´ve stopped buying gfx cards with fans.

My last 3 cards have been fanless, and my current HD 6770 runs everything very decently.
It seems to be near the edge of what can be done "easily" with passive cooling, 100-130W area.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby mhudon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:01 pm

clone wrote:ok so you noticed a 1.5 degree reduction in temp. was this with the fan speed fixed or adjusting to temps because if it was adjusting to temps that's ungodly amazing.

I always fix the fan speed of my vga cards at installation. 1.5 degree is still a good result considering what was done is only removing some air restriction.

clone wrote:to be clear while I respect the effort and sophistication of AMD's monitoring system I hate it at the same time. back in the day fans ran at one speed and because heat wasn't a serious issue that speed was a quiet one. now "the one" speed fans have to run at is annoying and would kill product sales so instead of improving the overall situation both AMD and Nvidia decided end users should have to put up with some annoyance.

I agree. The first thing I do after installing a graphic card is to test it's stability by pushing it to the max using Furmark and determine the best performance vs noise fan rotation possible, then save this ''quiet'' profile. I also program a performance profile with reasonable OC settings in case it's needed.

I've ordered the Arctic Hybrid cooler at the same time the 290X was ordered. Sometimes I hear the circulating water for a few seconds at start up, now it feels like I've got an aquarium in my case instead of a leaf blower :lol:
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:39 pm

What about a PC in your aquarium...:

Noiseless! :mrgreen:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby clone » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:22 am

One of the reasons i´ve stopped buying gfx cards with fans.

My last 3 cards have been fanless, and my current HD 6770 runs everything very decently.
It seems to be near the edge of what can be done "easily" with passive cooling, 100-130W area.
I'll always keep an eye out for a passive version of whatever I'm buying then put a low rpm 120mm fan blowing onto it.

it's the computer geek in me, I don't hold onto my hardware long enough for it to wear out but back in the day high heat was a bad thing. I'm genuinely surprised it's taken AMD this long to realize loud fans are a bad thing.... it's like the engineering and marketing departments are constantly at odds with one another.

with regards to the R9 290X I'm pretty sure AMD was hoping.... not betting, but hoping that 20nm would be a manufacturing option by the time they released it. for the MSRP R9 290 and 290X were interesting options, the price jumps that have since taken place have killed the cards for me...... Nvidia is no better of course because their product was overpriced right from the start but where I was ready to take the leap into an AMD both the prices skyrocketing and the news that 20nm production is up and running I've decided to wait for the refreshes.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby mhudon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 am

clone wrote:for the MSRP R9 290 and 290X were interesting options, the price jumps that have since taken place have killed the cards for me...... Nvidia is no better of course because their product was overpriced right from the start but where I was ready to take the leap into an AMD both the prices skyrocketing and the news that 20nm production is up and running I've decided to wait for the refreshes.

At least, AMD's 290(X) price bump was initiated by retailers, not AMD. Same thing happen to the R9 280x and even to the remaining stocks of HD 7970; around +100$ increase :fist: Crazy thing considering I've paid my 7970 cards $309 and $339 in early 2013. Tech taking value instead of loosing some, it's a first :shock:

The R9 270 remains a good deal tough. Not strong enough for miners, there's lower demand but it's delivering great performance for 1080p gaming. The situation also favors the GTX 760, bringing slightly better performance... for a little price premium.
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 am

Yes, this is also the first time I can remember the price of a video card INCREASING a month after it's launch...craziness... too bad it is the retailers and not AMD themselves that are getting all the extra profits for the higher retail prices ( AMD is still getting paid the same for their cards as at launch time, the retailers like newegg cranked the pricing due to short supply and very high demand of course, which has restored my faith in basic economics but is sad news to anyone looking to purchase one of these cards ).

Cheapest R9 290 on newegg.com right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121807

ASUS R9290-4GD5 Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

$539.99

( was $400 or slightly marked up from that at launch time )

Cheapest 290X :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150675

XFX R9-290X ENFC Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

$629.99

( was supposed to be $550 at launch )

Anyways, Clone is wise to wait for the refresh and subsequent price drop...

Comparable nVidia cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121779

ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$499.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125489

GIGABYTE GV-N78TOC-3GD GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

$679.99
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:10 pm

given AMD's got the architecture that favors mining greatly over what Nvidia's offering they could always tweak it a bit and introduce a more mining specific card...... that might relieve some of the pressure.... don't know.

you are correct it is good to see some positive news for AMD.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:44 am

Agreed.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Feedback