Wireless Router

Join our hot discussion of overclocking, tweaking, cooling and modding of CPUs, graphics cards,mainboards,cases,fans. Squeeze all juices out of your hardware with X-bit's community!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Wireless Router

Postby shybri69 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Need help guys!!

I know nothing zip, zero about wireless routers or routers in general, I have choosen to forget anything I learned :P

I have a d-link right now and it's dying big time, keeps cutting me off the net, etc, but it's over seven years old.

I have been wondering whether to go with d-link again, or I have read a bit about the Asus routers, apparently they aren't getting bad reviews.

Any thoughts?
I thought I would cheat and ask you guys because I have absolutely zero interest in this type of equipment, just wanna run out and grab something.

We are talking a 2 bedroom apt. so don't need so power as far as distance goes, but not really sure what else to look for.

Thanks.
shybri69

Re: Wireless Router

Postby Fuzz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:49 pm

are you torrenting?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Hey, I see you are a local! ( live in Guelph, Ont. , close to KW where I lurk about :mrgreen: ).

I have used D-Link routers for years ( DIR-655 with game streaming engine/QOS priority ) and owned 2 of them actually, they have worked great.

However routers have improved greatly over the years so now you have some very good choices to make at reasonable prices.

How much do you want to spend on a router? ( have to establish budget before getting into recommendations ).

The Asus routers are some of the best you can buy, but the top models are over $100 of course.

Wireless AC is the latest standard ( faster connection speed than Wireless n standard but this is only really a big deal if you share/copy a lot of media ( large video files ) over your home network/wlan , if you do not do that then a good wireless n router is much cheaper and sufficient for most people's needs . Also you have to buy Wireless AC adapters to use Wireless AC standard which puts most people off, they already have Wireless n adapters and don't want the added expense of having to buy Wireless AC adapters as well as new router. You can read more about it here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/should-you ... ac-router/

Probably Wireless n is more than sufficient for your needs in a 2 bedroom apt. Assuming that is the case, I would recommend this Asus router if your budget allows for it:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6833320062

ASUS RT-N56U Wireless Router Dual Band N600 Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit 802.11a/b/g/n support USB Storage, Print and Media Server (top performance review at smallnetbuilder.com)

$99.99

Probably the best $100 router you can buy right now, review here:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-w ... s-rt-n66u/

Plus it looks uber-cool, which never hurts!! Yes there are slightly better Asus routers, but they cost $150+ which I am assuming is out of your budget range and kind of overkill for an apt.

If $100 is too rich for your blood, here is the router I am currently using in my 2 bedroom apt. I get 120 Mbps connection speed going from living room to bedroom in corner ( going through 2 walls basically, thin walls, but still walls ) which is decent.

I dunno why newegg.ca does not list my model of router, but newegg.com in the USA lists it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833704137

TP-LINK TL-WR1042ND Gigabit Wireless N300 Router, 300Mbps, USB port, 2 Detachable Antennas, IP QoS / QSS Button

$41.99 USD

Customer review:
5 out of 5 eggs Great Router

Pros: I have owned this router for a week now and I have not yet found any reason why it should receive any less than 5 eggs. I have a 1400sq ft home and I receive 5 bars of signal in all rooms except 1 where I receive 4 bars in my 2nd bedroom that consists of 2 walls between the router and the room itself. Around my home on the outside about 50ft from all directions I receive a solid 3 bars. The detachable antennas are a great addition, the software is easy to use and the quick setup worked for me. I also like the login page for the router itself. It is very well put together. I went from strict NAT on my xbox to open NAT without adjusting any settings on this router I also noticed that with NAT enabled on the router it automatically opens my port for the xbox. I have not had to power cycle my router yet as others described and my wireless seems to work perfectly. I love the way the router looks too it looks like it is ready to do its job. I am using a 16GB PNY attache usb as a "cloud" on my router. So far I have not had any connectivity issues through WAN or LAN. Newegg is awesome, TP Link customer service seems very helpful. If you go to the contact us page on tp link's website you can actually call them unlike some other companies. 90 day newegg warranty and 2 year manufacturer warranty you cannot beat that.

Cons: The device is not on the DD WRT's compatibility list however it is on the incompatibility list. I do not plan on using the DD WRT so I will not knock off an egg for this. Though I know others would like to use this firmware. I cannot get my laptop to run full 300mbps it only shows a speed of 150mbps. I know I am running off of the N network of this router but I do not know if the issue is my laptop or router. I tried messing with the channels and channel width in the router login but my laptop only shows 150 all the time. I have 2 xbox 360s connected through LAN and if I have both of them on at the same time 1 will have open NAT the other will say moderate but this only happens when both are turned on.

Other Thoughts: Out of the box it came with firmware 3.17 and I updated it to the 3.15.4 from tp link. I have it connected through a Netgear DM111PSP-100NAS Modem. I am on Centurylink DSL with 3M down and 512K up. I hope to upgrade the antennas soon. I have 3 laptops connected through wifi, 2 cell phones connected through wifi, 2 nintendo wii connected through wifi, and 2 xbox 360s connected through LAN. Xbox parties, multiplayer, netflix, and hulu have been amazing. I will continuously have 2 laptops connected and 2 cell phones connected when we are home. If we are playing games we typically always have a xbox party going and we run 2 xbox on the same network play halo and such and when we play the wii we do the same with 2 wiis playing black ops or conduit. This router replaced my Zyxel 660 which was a blessing.

Canada Computers ( University and Weber St. in Waterloo here ) sells it for $50 right now, but their website is not responding atm so I cannot link to it for you at this time. That is where I got mine...I like it even better than my old D-Link DIR-655 router ( that I first paid $120 for many years ago, then $90 after the first one burned out after 3 years constant usage, now that model is discontinued of course ). The interface/setup page is easier to navigate and router works great, probably "best bang for the buck" for $50...simply 2 antennae router, gets the job done. Supports everything I need it to such as port forwarding bla bla bla. There is even a cool button on the front of the router that you can push to enable/disable the Wireless on the router, so if you ever need to turn off Wireless ( and just use a wired connection ) for example, it is simple as pushing a button on the front of the router. Doubt I will ever use that button, but it is nice to have it there... TP-Link has a solid reputation as a decent router brand...they are not "top of the line" but then you don't pay top prices for them either... they make some very good routers for the price imho... loving mine here...

So if you have $100 to blow, get the Asus router, if not, get the cheaper $50 TP-Link router I listed above and be happy! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Fuzz wrote:are you torrenting?

Good question! My TP-Link router handles QOS streaming ( network traffic prioritizing ) so I can torrent like a madman and my surfing still stays fast here... 8) ( to help him in his decision-making here )
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:16 am

Have a TP-link as well but with 3 antennas, bought that because of the fibre connection I have now. Passes 150 mbps up and 150 mbps down without issue.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby shybri69 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:31 am

yes definitely a ton of torrenting, but I will deny it in court :P

and yes a ton of online gaming.

Looking for something around $100, so it seems the Asus is worth a try :) thinking about maybe the Asus RT n56u if you guys think that could handle my situation.

and yep, local Guelph boy, but only for a few years, born and raised in Newmarket.
shybri69

Postby Fuzz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:02 am

Torrenting can often cause routers to crash. If you are using uTorrent, set net.max_halfopen to 50 under preferences, advanced. Under bandwidth preferences, you may want to lower Global maximum connections. I've got mine at 50 and max connections per torrent at 10. I've got an old router that will drop wireless first if I over torrent, and drop everything if I have those settings to high. You can start by setting everything much lower, maybe at 10 max, just to see if it fixes the problem, then work up from there.

or you can buy a new router :)
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:04 am

shybri69 wrote:yes definitely a ton of torrenting, but I will deny it in court :P

:lol: :lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:58 am

shybri69 wrote:yes definitely a ton of torrenting, but I will deny it in court :P

and yes a ton of online gaming.

Looking for something around $100, so it seems the Asus is worth a try :) thinking about maybe the Asus RT n56u if you guys think that could handle my situation.

and yep, local Guelph boy, but only for a few years, born and raised in Newmarket.

Asus RT N56U is a great router for $100... if anyone here owns one, please feel free to comment with your experience!

Buyer feedback:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-Wi ... B0049YQVHE

I agree, faster than WNDR3700 and e4200 *** UPDATE

By AK on March 24, 2011

We are a heavy intenet using famiily. If we aren't streaming Netflix or Roku, we have phones and computers all competing for bandwidth. I tried the new Linksys e4200, it was OK until too many people logged on wirelessly and started hogging bandwidth. The e4200 would really drop down in speed while it tried to deal with all of the wireless activity. So, I tried the WNDR3700 (v.98 firmware) The WNDR3700 has a fast processor and can handle a lot of wired and wireless users simultaneously. But, the WNDR3700 seemed to "hang" about once an hour for reasons unknown. When I say "hang", it might take 5 seconds to load a web page instead of the usually instantaneous load speed. It got a little annoying.

So, I picked up the ASUS RT-N56U router after reading all the reviews and tests on smallnetbuilder dot com. I have to say that this router is ridiculously fast (at least twice as fast as the WNDR3700) and has better reception throughout my entire house. In a location that I used to max out at about 7MB/s with the WNDR3700. I can now sustain 31MB/s in the same location. I have pretty much- 5 bars of wireless reception where I used to have 2 or 3 bars.

The ASUS RT-N56U is pretty easy to set up and I like the physical appearance too. Throw in the fact that it is smokin' fast and has great coverage and I think I got a heck of a deal for $127.

Highly recommended.

by the way, I just noticed that another reviewer was having problems with iPhones not connecting. Our iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, and Android phones are logging on fine, no issues.

Pros: *Works out of the box
*Interface is surprisingly pleasant
*Didn't explode when I tried first-use
*Handles dual channel and lots of gaming like a champ
*Signal strength is VERY impressive on top floor
*100x better than my Linksys wrt54g
*Looks great (blue LEd's are not LAZERZ OMG11)

Cons: *Does not walk my dog
*Does not deploy sentry guns on intruders

*Does, on VERY slight occasional, cause a momentary lag spike as it swaps channels (presumably).

Other Thoughts: Normally I don't buy products with ANYTHING less than a 65% approval rating but I took a chance since I didn't like any of the other higher rated routers (and I will NOT buy d-link or netgear). This one is working like a champ so far. Runs nice and cool, haven't noticed any heat issues.

:lol:

Guelph has some great live music venues, unlike KW ( Pop the Gator is gone, The Boathouse in Victoria Park is closed down while prospective owners are bidding on it right now, etc. - a shame... we need more live music venues here!! )

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:02 am

Fuzz wrote:Torrenting can often cause routers to crash. If you are using uTorrent, set net.max_halfopen to 50 under preferences, advanced. Under bandwidth preferences, you may want to lower Global maximum connections. I've got mine at 50 and max connections per torrent at 10. I've got an old router that will drop wireless first if I over torrent, and drop everything if I have those settings to high. You can start by setting everything much lower, maybe at 10 max, just to see if it fixes the problem, then work up from there.

or you can buy a new router :)

I don't use uTorrent anymore since version 3... I found that it inevitably slows down my surfing speed over time, to the point of having to reboot router every few days to get my surfing speed back up. This happened whether I had 1 torrent dling or 30 torrents dling...same problem... researched it and many others complained of same problem, no matter how much fiddling and tweaking I did with uTorrent settings... I am glad it works for you but I gave up on it long ago.

I use Tixati now ( also free ), it is a much more "lightweight" client that NEVER bogs down my surfing speed. The interface is a little more complex and tougher to learn, but now I am used to it I much prefer it to any other bit torrent client out there, and believe me, I have tried them ALL! :wink: :twisted: Also 2 friends and clients complained to me of same "browsing slowdown" issue with uTorrent 3.x , so I had them install Tixati and problem solved!! 8)

Get it here:

http://www.tixati.com/

Tixati is a New and Powerful P2P System
100% Free, Simple and Easy to Use Bittorrent Client
Contains NO Spyware and NO Ads
Windows and Linux Native Versions Available

Version 1.96 is now available!
Now Featuring Decentralized Media Streaming
Download Tixati Now

Tixati is far better than the rest:

Simple and easy to use
Ultra-fast downloading algorithms
DHT, PEX, and Magnet Link support
Easy and quick install - no java, no .net
Super-efficient peer selection and choking
RC4 connection encryption for added security
Detailed bandwidth management and charting
UDP Peer Connections and NAT router hole-punching
Advanced features such as RSS, IP Filtering, Event Scheduler
NO Spyware NO Ads NO Nonsense

In fact I encourage shybri69 to try both clients out , say for a week with each one to get a good "feel" for them, then pick the one he likes best... :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby shybri69 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 am

Tried so many torrent sites, last one was bitlord until i switched to utorrent a few years ago, but i will try the tixati over the next few days and see.
thanks guys, off to buy a 56, fingers crossed
shybri69

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 am

Sounds good! Happy shopping and torrenting! 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Interesting, I do have problems with uTorent as well ,I always thought it was my router though. Will give tickytacky a try!
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Heh heh, theme song from "Weeds" - "ticky tacky" :mrgreen: :lol:

I call Tixati "Taxi" for short, actually my friend started calling it that so now I do too, it is easier to remember and pronounce... a taxi for my torrents... 8) :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:24 pm

I got the Asus RT AC66U a couple months ago to replace my aging Netgear that port forwarding stopped working on. I have yet to need to reset it. Wireless range is fantastic.
1: Coolermaster HAF-X - i7 4930K 4.6ghz - 32gb GSkill Trident X 2133mhz - 256gb Samsung 840 Pro - 16Tb HD - Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - Corsair H100i - EVGA Superclocked 780Ti SLI - Denon AVR-1713 - Energy 5.1 Take Classic - Steelseries Apex - Windows 8.1 Pro - Corsair AX1200.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Nice... glad your Asus router is working perfect for ya! Thanks for sharing! 8)

Ya usually gets what ya pays for in life... :scout:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:
Pros: *Works out of the box
*Interface is surprisingly pleasant
*Didn't explode when I tried first-use
*Handles dual channel and lots of gaming like a champ
*Signal strength is VERY impressive on top floor
*100x better than my Linksys wrt54g
*Looks great (blue LEd's are not LAZERZ OMG11)

Cons: *Does not walk my dog
*Does not deploy sentry guns on intruders

*Does, on VERY slight occasional, cause a momentary lag spike as it swaps channels (presumably).

Other Thoughts: Normally I don't buy products with ANYTHING less than a 65% approval rating but I took a chance since I didn't like any of the other higher rated routers (and I will NOT buy d-link or netgear). This one is working like a champ so far. Runs nice and cool, haven't noticed any heat issues.

:lol:

Guelph has some great live music venues, unlike KW ( Pop the Gator is gone, The Boathouse in Victoria Park is closed down while prospective owners are bidding on it right now, etc. - a shame... we need more live music venues here!! )

:lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Nice... glad your Asus router is working perfect for ya! Thanks for sharing! 8)

Ya usually gets what ya pays for in life... :scout:

Not always, sometimes you get less.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Yup, like RIM/Blackberry stock!! :twisted: :lol:

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=BBRY

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Ouch! Lost 90% the past 3 years..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Overclocker's and Modding Club