My Geforce 780 HOF died :(

Everything on contemporary and upcoming graphics chips and VGA cards. 3D discussions. Monitors and video editing.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

My Geforce 780 HOF died :(

Postby Kahless » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:47 am

Yep my geforce 780 HOF died. Was at work and when I got home I sat down at my computer and I couldn't get anything to display. Hit the reset button on the computer and nothing on my monitor. Tried my TV off the card and still nothing. Tried my monitor off my onboard video and it worked fine. I can't say I trust the HOF cards especially the first gen batches. So I ordered an EVGA superclocked 780 Ti and when Galaxy replaces my HOF i'm going to sell that to offset the cost of the 780 Ti. Anyone interested in buying a 780 HOF?

I considered a 290X since the performance is very close to the 780ti and when Mantle comes out who knows how well it will perform then. But the hot temperatures the 290X runs and really turned me off.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Re: My Geforce 780 HOF died :(

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:26 am

Even those with other cooling solutions then the reference cooler?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am

Never trusted Galaxy brand of video cards, they are the cheapest to buy for a reason!! ( cut corners everywhere they can ). Highest failure rates of any brand of video card out there. A shame though, at least it is under warranty!

Smart move to sell it after the RMA warranty replacement arrives, and buy EVGA brand, lifetime warranty and the best warranty turnaround time in the industry ( I have witnessed it myself, 2 weeks total from shipping KW, Ontario, Canada to their RMA hq in California and back again, very nice! 8) ).
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:50 am

Oh, just saw this, before you pull the trigger on a new GTX 780 Ti card, check this out!! :

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsec ... 159&page=6

Recommendation / Price + -

Unfortunately, we still do not have any information regarding the price so we will update the article when the new ROG MARS 760 becomes available. It should end up cheaper than the GTX Titan and hopefully sit even below a price of two custom GTX 760 graphics cards.

In the meantime we can say that it is a very good dual GPU graphics card and if the price premium is not that high, the ROG MARS 760 could be a very nice alternative to a more expensive GTX 780 Ti or the GTX Titan.
- Gaming

We gave the MARS 760 from ASUS 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Weighted Average:

Okay, you will still have the odd Sli issue with a dual gpu card like this, but the performance/price ratio will be good methinks... price still unknown but no doubt will be cheaper than a Titan, cheaper than a pair of separate 760 cards, and better performance than a Titan... something to consider at least, stay tuned for pricing announcement! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 pm

I already pulled the trigger the 780 ti will be here Friday. I kinda want to stay away from SLI. I had crossfire for a couple years and it worked well but I think I am more comfortable with just one beastly video card.

Yeah I had no idea that Galaxy cards were so sucky. Hopefully I can get at least $450 out of it on Ebay. It was a great card while it worked. Loud though.

I think there are only reference cooler 290X's out. They have received good reviews on hardware sites except for the heat issue. But then reading the purchaser comments on newegg and some other sites there are allot of bad reviews. Many people were saying they had to RMA it 3 times before they got one that worked. I'm not an nvidia "fanboy" I just get whatever looks like the best card and I just didn't have a good feeling with the 290X regardless of it being over $100 cheaper. Could have turned into a hassle.

I must have missed it in the review of that Asus mars setup but what is the difference between that and just getting two 760's and putting them in SLI? Looks like the price is to be $950. That seems like allot for a 2gb sli card.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Ah, understood! I always prefer a single gpu solution myself as well, to avoid any Crossfire or SLi issues.

The Asus MARS dual gpu 760 card only makes sense if it is priced LESS than the price of two regular GTX 760 cards as you say.. I could not find a price on this card yet, where did you get the $950 figure from? Just curious...

Just googled again and finally found a review with pricing in it!! :

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_ ... _review/18

Secondly there is the extremely complicated issue of the price. £520 is the MSRP. Now we accept that the MARS is a custom PCB, and not a card for the mass market. There is a level of kudos in ownership that a standard card doesn't give you. The performance is equivalent to the £30 more expensive GTX780Ti. So it's certainly not stunningly over-priced in performance terms. However, two GTX760s, even ones with ASUS' DirectCU II cooler, are around £440 and will give you the same performance as we've seen here, yet if one of them dies you still have a display. Not likely these days, but something to take into account. So relative to the hardware involved it's quite expensive. Also two cards always looks better than a single one. There is just something about a pair of cards that's more visceral than a single one. Finally, whilst it might run the GTX780Ti close, when the Ti does beat the MARS it does so handily, and we're not sure that £30 saving is worth it. Some games, Company of Heroes 2 for example, don't even take a second GPU into account, so you'll have a £520 GTX760.

It is way overpriced!! You are right, two GTX 760's in SLi will be much cheaper!!

In any event since you already ordered the EVGA GTX 780 Ti , all of this is moot now...that is an awesome card and I know you will love it!! You made the right decision based on the pricing of this Asus Mars dual 760 card, and in some games like Company of Heroes 2 , they cannot even make use of the second gpu!! :evil: :fist:

Did you order the 780 Ti from Newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814487001

EVGA 03G-P4-2883-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

$729.99

That is no doubt the fastest single gpu card you can buy right now, me jealous!! Enjoy my friend! 8) :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Yeah that is the one I ordered in the link you posted.

The Mars card is definitely overpriced. I don't see them selling to many of those. I was pretty happy with the speed of my 780 I thought about just getting another 780 other than Galaxy brand like a Lightning. But I was a bit burned from paying $700 for it and having it be like $500 barely 2 months later. So I thought screw it i'll just get another $700 card and sell my 780 HOF for $450 or so and have a better card.

Galaxy isn't making it easy to get it sent in though. They keep wanting me to re-seat the card, pull the cmos battery, then find another computer to try it in. For one I know the card didn't come unseated. The computer hasn't budged and it is securely in place. But I tried that for them and it didn't help. I'm not pulling the CMOS and losing all my bios overclocking settings. Screw that. So I just told them I did that. I don't think that is going to work anyways. And i'm sure not sticking a defective video card in my wifes computer to see if it works in that. They just need to take it back. I'm sure i'll get there but they like to make some hoops to get through. I had to upload a proof of purchase to them on their RMA site. Then their RMA registration form is jacked up. The fields where you enter in serial number, product number, and a couple of other items are missing the boxes to enter in the info. So you can't proceed. So I have to work with them to fix their website.

I had a 3TB western digital external USB 3.0 drive die on me a month ago. I had to provide very little info on their website for an RMA on it and once I put it in the mail I had a new drive on my door step within like 5 days. They also replaced it with a 4TB drive free of charge. Much better experience. Though I lost lot of very personal data I had been collected for many years. That sucked.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 pm

That sucks donkey balls dude!!

Galaxy PURPOSELY makes their RMA warranty procedure nearly impossible to use, so that they won't have to honor warranty of course which saves them money.

"You get what you pay for" - this is true in life and very true when it comes to computer components!

I bet you will never again in your life ever purchase a GALAXY brand component!! :fist:

I never have RMA issues with companies such as Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, Seagate, WD, and other well known respected brand names... only with the cheapest brands such as GALAXY ( never had to use their RMA process yet and hope I never will - if I do it will not be because I bought any GALAXY brand stuff myself, but it will be to simply help a friend/client who made the mistake of buying that brand and having it die then getting screwed over for RMA warranty.... ).

Anyhoo, you have now ordered EVGA which in my experience has the best service/RMA warranty procedure/fast turnaround time in the business! Only Acer ( which does not make video cards so cannot compare directly here ) laptops have faster service, they let you take to a local Acer depot and guarantee laptop fixed or replaced within a 3 hour time frame! I had to do this once for dvd writer that died under warranty in Acer laptop, they had it fixed ( replaced burner ) in less than an hour. I realize the job itself does not take long to do, but most RMA depts have huge backlog of previous RMA's to process before they get around to doing your RMA, so the fact they can do a simple job in less than an hour was most impressive! Remember you don't have to "pay" for RMA when you show up locally, you pay nothing in that case ( no shipping ) and to get such prompt service when the Company is paying for all this, not you, is pretty awesome actually!! Acer rocks!! ( affordable laptops with best service/RMA warranty in the industry imho ).

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:47 pm

I just suggested an Acer laptop off Newegg to a co-worker of mine a few weeks ago that looked like a great deal. They ordered it and got it home and it worked for about 3 hours and it died. He spent an hour on the phone with Acer to find out it was defective. But I guess that is with anything highly complex there is the chance its always going to fail.

I am wondering how this 780 TI Superclocked at factory speeds is going to compare to my 780 HOF which had a moderate overclock. About 100 on the core and 150 on the memory is what I had my HOF set at. Do you guys think i'll have to further overclock the 780 Ti to get it above the 780 HOF? The thing I really hated about the HOF card was having to reach behind the computer to find a button on the back of it that turned the fans up and allowed for greater cooling potential. Galaxy marketed it as something like a TPU switch that auto overclocked the card. But in reviews it didn't overclock anything. It just made for greater cooling (and noise). Stupid feature really. The fans should just automatically turn up as needed. It would be like putting a hand crank on the computer to turn your fans an extra 25 rpm for better cooling. That switch on the back also made the card very difficult to put in and take out of the case.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:31 am

You mean not everyone has "hand cranks for fan speed on their computers"?? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just installed a nice sweet mahogany handled crank here , but I got a sore neck using my mouth to move that handle back and forth to increase my fan speed while gaming ( need hands free for keyboard and mouse of course )! On the plus side I now have the strongest neck muscles this side of Montreal!! :scout: :lol:

Your GTX 780 Ti card should match the performance of your last GTX 780 ( non-Ti ) card easily methinks, if not, you know what to do!! :twisted: :whistle:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Or it could be bicycle pedals to increase fan speed!

I'm hoping that I don't need to overclock. I'm worried my overclock is what killed my HOF. I'm doubting it but i'll never know. It wasn't that high of an overclock and my temps under load were always well under specs for the card to operate at. Finally got my RMA authorization from those jokers.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Theoretically it is "possible" that your overclock killed your Galaxy card, but you did not own it for very long so would be surprised that you killed it in such a short period of time simply by overclocking it... it is possible though...

Glad to hear you finally got your RMA confirmation from Galaxy, whew!! :P

The 780 Ti is such a strong card I doubt you will have to oc it at all, or mebbe just a tiny bit ( dont increase gpu voltage at all, just to be on the safe side! ). :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah I don't see the need to increase voltage. I never touched that on my HOF.

One thing I forgot about I had just installed the latest Geforce drivers Tuesday. They installed fine and I didn't play any games on them. Went to work while my PC was still on and when I got home and sat down in front of it and moved the mouse to wake the monitor up and it never came up. I thought maybe my displays switched as I have my Tv plugged into it also and it was't on the tv either. Did some reboots and still no display. Tried my onboard video and it worked fine. Tried a lower PCI-E slot and still nothing. Strange coincidence that I do a driver update and the card dies sometime after that.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Yes, that is indeed a weird coincidence as you say... driver update then card fails... may or may not have been a factor in card dying, guess we will never know for sure...

You did the correct solution to the problem though, buy a newer, faster, more expensive vidcard!! :wink: :twisted: :D :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Ha ha yeah my logic to my wife was clearly the 780 HOF cards are having issues you can google them and a ton of them are failing. They underclock theirself unless you press the silly button on the back of the card to ramp up the fans. Otherwise it can burn itself up the fans fail to adjust accordingly. Why would I want to have another one of those cards? Plus I felt cheated that the price came down so much in a short amount of time owning it. Hopefully the 780 TI's wont drop in price dramatically within two months.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:44 pm

:wink: :twisted: :incoming: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Kahless » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:29 am

Its more like the HOF IS a hassel!
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:18 am

Kahless wrote:Its more like the HOF IS a hassel!

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 am

I am a little worried that there wasn't anything wrong with the card at all. What if the PCI-E slots went bad on my mobo? Is that even possible? It seems to me if those went bad then the entire mobo wouldn't even work. I could still boot into windows just fine with my onboard video. The fans would spin on the graphics card there just wasn't anything being output from it. And the PC seemed to boot up normally from what I could tell. No unusualy post beeps or anything.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:59 am

Can't you try the card in another computer?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Graphics