Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard

Postby sortkwikle » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi everyone sortwikle here.
I have been trying to get on here for a quite a few months with no success. I thought you guys disappeared on me. Then today I clicked on link in my favorites and popped right up. LOL Glad I can get here again.

I have 2 of these asus rampage II extreme motherboards and absolutely love them. both fully liquid cooled. first one I have a great nvida graphic's card.
Now the 2nd one I have 2 AMD Radeon HD 6970 2gb graphics cards w/liquid cooling of course.
My problem is these 2 video cards don't seem to be compatible with this rampage II extreme motherboard??? I installed them on an asus rampage formula III motherboard and they work great.
So LOL I'm using a cheap $50.00 nvida video card and it works fine. Weird Can't play hard core games though.
Is there a certain driver for these 2 6970 graphics cards? LOL these 2 cards are like new.
Asus Rampage II Extreme
intel core i7-980x overclocked to core 4.2GHz
12Gb Corsair Dominator 2000MHz Triple Channel memory
Asus GeFroce 770 2GB Graphics Card
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
21.5" Alienware Flat Panel 100,000 to 1 contrast ratio
sortkwikle

Re: Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey Sortkwickle! Nice to hear from you...yep the forums were down for about 3 months, you can read all about it here if you like: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20419

Glad to finally have the forums back!

Dunno why your 6970's work in one of your boards but not the other, weird... guessing the board has some kind of problem as they "should" work perfectly in both your boards. Have you tried older video card drivers? If the latest is giving you grief, then try older versions and see if that helps.

Did you try just using a single 6970 card in this board yet? ( no Crossfire ).. the cheap nVidia card works fine for you of course, but did you try a single 6970? If that works just sell the other card mebbe... :wink:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:17 pm

We all missed the forums.. Glad we're back now, and glad you found us again.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby sortkwikle » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes I tried single card and same problem no work right. Yea when I get around to it I will try older driver version's. Just hate going through all those different versions. These 2 video cards have just been bubble wrapped and in a box for seems like a long time now. Shame I did not liquid cool the rampage III formula, LOL I had to go all out for the rampage II extreme, Twice. lol Liquid cooling is very expensive. Hymm I could install them on the formula III and just liquid cool the graphics cards only. But that is my wife's computer. Can't give her the best lol,
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
sortkwikle

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Weird... something very strange there, but if they don't work on that board then they don't work... if older driver does not help then I recommend you consider selling the cards and buying a newer card(s) for it. If you buy HD 79xx or new R9 your watercooling kits should still fit them ( hopefully ).

Or just sell your board and buy a new mobo...probably the cheapest solution here ( instead of buying new video card(s) ). Good luck!!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby sortkwikle » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Yeah but I don't want to sell my mb, I found this at tiger direct. I think these Asus rampage II extreme wants NVIDA
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=7387 Seems like a good graphic's card and I want to buy the new game Call of Duty Ghost. I wonder if it is through steam? This link to the video card should play it fine.
Oh any suggestion's on a graphics card? around that price range.
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
sortkwikle

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:08 pm

I see... you were using Driver Sweeper to clean out all the old drivers before installing the new ones right?? Did you try a fresh install of Windows to rule that out as well?

The card you linked to is a GTX 650 Ti , which has nearly identical performance to my old GTX 560 Ti card that I just sold.

That card is not quite strong enough to play BF4 at 1920x1080 on Ultra settings ( I can do it easily with my new HD 7870 card of course ). Same for COD Ghosts...

So I suggest you get a bit stronger card, the non-Ti GTX 660 can be had for just $190 these days:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127699

The GTX 760 would be ideal for you but that costs $250 so probably out of your budget...

The GTX 650 Ti card is not "bad" but it just does not have the hp to push Ultra settings at HD resolution in latest games, so I recommend you get a GTX 660 card , or save up for one on sale at Christmas ( probably you will see a Boxing Day sale on newegg for GTX 760 for $200 or just over, just a guess here but would not be surprised to see that happening ). Ask your wife to buy you one for Christmas.

In the meantime I would reinstall Windows completely fresh ( formatted partition ) to make sure that you are not having sw issue with your 6970 card and your system. Good luck!

COD Ghosts is available on Steam right now for $60:

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/209160/

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 am

sortkwikle wrote:Yeah but I don't want to sell my mb, I found this at tiger direct. I think these Asus rampage II extreme wants NVIDA

Doesn't say so on Asus product info site. Board accepts multiple cards by Crossfire, or SLI. So either there is something wrong with your mobo, the Windows installation, the cards themselves or traces of NVidia drivers are preventing the cards from working.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 am

Agreed, I searched and found others using this model of mobo with Crossfired AMD cards and no problems reported ( cards are compatible with the board ). So either your mobo is defective, or your Windows is borked...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 am

Did jou have an NVidia card inthere before installing the AMD card(s)?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby sortkwikle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:06 am

I can't remember but I properly did when I first booted it up when it was brand new. plus there for awhile I had another nvida card on it, gave that one to my daughter cause she needed it (her video card died).
Ok I will install one of them again and do a fresh install. and I do use win7 64bit. Will be busy for a couple days then do it. Will keep you posted. Thanks Hammer and Sauron.
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
sortkwikle

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 am

Perfect, that sounds like a good plan... hopefully it resolves the problem for ya, best of luck and await your conclusion in a few days time then... :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 am

Hope that resolves your problem... If not we'll get there eventually.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby sortkwikle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Been working on it off and on, here and there. I reinstalled win7 64bit and been trying different versions of the graphic card drivers. It is getting better but still not right, Does play my Call of Duty games now without crashing. lol and there are less glitches but still a few glitches, I changed memory from 6 gigs of muskin (7-8-7-20) clock speed to 12 gigs of corsair dominator (9-10-9-27) clock speed and working a lot better. I have the system overclocked to 3.8Ghz so far, lots of work here trying to get all this right. I still have the 980x cpu and the right bios version for it. I'm temped to take out that 6970x2 and try that new GeForce 650 still sealed not opened it yet. I'm waiting for that 760 to come down to like $200.00 and I will get it. lol I check it every day and it hangs around $250.00
I hate to but I just might sell these 2 6970x2's They have been hardly used really. The waterblocks on them cost $100.00 ea. and I paid like $350.00 ea for the graphic's cards. Might stick them on ebay but I properly won't because of eBay's return policy.
If I do I will list them be something like this Ex: 2 6970x2 waterblocks and the cards are a bonus. As I can not find the right driver version for my setup. So I am listing these 2 6970x2 as non working and you are biding on the waterblocks only. Will ship in a Flat rate priority mail box.
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
sortkwikle

Postby sortkwikle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:06 pm

I just remembered when I had these 2 6970x2 cards on that rampage formula III that we were using win xp. I have since redone that computer to win7. also the driver disk that came with them are for win xp, have to go to AMD web site to get drivers for win7. I bet there is nothing wrong with these 2 cards. I going to go play with it some more. lol
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
sortkwikle

Postby sortkwikle » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:22 am

Yea I got cpu overclocked back to 4.2GHz and plays my games fine. graphics card still has a few glitches.
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
sortkwikle

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:09 pm

You are still using both graphics cards right ? Crossfire...

If so, might want to try just a single card for a while to rule out any Xfire issues in your games, just a thought here... good luck!

At least it is crashing less on you now that you reinstalled W7, so that was a step in the right direction here.. 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby sortkwikle » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:You are still using both graphics cards right ? Crossfire...

If so, might want to try just a single card for a while to rule out any Xfire issues in your games, just a thought here... good luck!

At least it is crashing less on you now that you reinstalled W7, so that was a step in the right direction here.. 8)

I am just using one of them and if I ever get it right I will do both of them and crossfire them.
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1Tb Seagate Hard Drive
1200w PSU
Win7 Home Edition 64bit
sortkwikle

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:19 pm

I see, I see, best of luck with the drivers then! :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:22 am

sortkwikle wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:You are still using both graphics cards right ? Crossfire...

I am just using one of them and if I ever get it right I will do both of them and crossfire them.

You mean before they are outdated?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to General Hardware Forum