LAPTOP Repair

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

LAPTOP Repair

Postby Phosphorus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 am

My Asus K53S was with some power connection issues. It would go to battery mode with some touches on the cable and vice-versa.

I used a voltimeter and all the voltages in the cable were OK. So the problem was probably the connection in the computer.

I took it to a store to repair and they told me that the problem is all the power circuit and they want 209€ for the repairs...

So what should I do? Take it to another store? (I have to pay 19€ for the diagnose anyway).
Phosphorus

Re: LAPTOP Repair

Postby Celt » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Ouch! It really depends on what exactly has broken . . . Given the forces involved, it could be that just the connector is broken but it's quite possible that it actually snapped part of the PCB all damaged it in some way. I have to confess that I like the way that Apple handles its power connectors with the simple magnetic touch power connector rather than an actual plugs that is inserted into the socket. In this way the forces that act upon the connector and PCB are greatly reduced.

Even if it is the PCB that has broken someone who is skilled with a soldering iron a bit of superglue some duct tape and some clever mechanical skills can affect a reasonable repair however such people are few and far between.
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby mhudon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:11 pm

A loose charging port wouldn't be surprizing but a power circuit randomly cutting power when you touch a cable... I have doubts (a lot).

Charging port are often the first to fail on laptops. I'd defenitly pay the 19€ and ask for a second advice.

Some questions:
1-If you do get the conection working and don't touch the cable, are you able keep the connection and charge the battery?
2-Did you test the connection with another cable (even if you've tested yours with a voltmeter).

If you're not in a hurry, I've found a merchand selling some for $6.20usd with free international shipping. You might also find some local stores selling this. I think it's worth a try!

Good luck!
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Phosphorus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:25 pm

1 - Yes the battery was able to charge but very slowly.

2 - Yeah I tried with my uncle's cable, also asus (amperes in the output were slightly different) and it was the same as with mine.
Phosphorus

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:06 am

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:04 am

Might fix the problem..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 am

I don't have tools :\ Nor the skills probably...
Phosphorus

Postby Celt » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 am

Like I said . . . find a friend with skillz
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 am

Ok I asked one guy if he can do it. Should I ignore the fact that they said that the whole circuit needed to be fixed?
Phosphorus

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:57 am

Yes... attempt cheap fix by replacing the power jack ( connector ) on the laptop first... most likely that will fix the problem, good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Connector ... B008NWO9O0

Genuine OEM DC Power Jack Connector Socket ASUS K53E K53E-BBR3 K53E-BD4TD K53S K53SD K53SV X44 X44HY X44L X52F X52J X54H In AC Jack

Price: $1.59

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by 3CLeader.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Agreed . . . The power circuit is not usually an intermittent affair. Laptops use single chip multi volt regulators. They tend to either work, or fry . . . I would say there is 98% chance what they said was bullshit and if I am right you can show them my post and tell them that trying to be clever and scam customers isn't a good idea any more thanks to the internet!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:37 pm

Phosphorus wrote:Ok I asked one guy if he can do it. Should I ignore the fact that they said that the whole circuit needed to be fixed?

Can he?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

:mrgreen:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 am

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:26 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:Ok I asked one guy if he can do it. Should I ignore the fact that they said that the whole circuit needed to be fixed?

Can he?

Yep, he can... I'm just worried that it isn't enough to fix it :\
Phosphorus

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 am

Well, I guess since your laptop is off warranty now, and it is unusable until power jack gets fixed its worth a shot.. the part is only about $2 ( as linked above ), just need dude with mad soldering skillz to get it soldered on and cross your fingers... small chance it won't fix it, but at this point worth a try and better than throwing whole laptop in garbage right? If that does not fix it you could try finding a similar model Asus laptop on eBay or wherever with a broken screen for dirt cheap, rape the mobo out of it and get yours going again for sure then...good luck with it all!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

I need the laptop, so probably I would pay the 209€...

I also need to fix my 3rd one ->http://forum.xbitlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20377
Phosphorus

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Just have the connector replaced by the One Guy (now of what does this make me remind me of..) before spending a lot of money... Chances are >90% that the problem is solved that way..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Yep, go for the cheap repair first, if that does not work then go for the big expensive fix...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Yep, go for the cheap repair first, if that does not work then go for the big expensive fix...

Unless he needs it ASAP, at that point money doesn´t matter.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Next

Return to Technical Support