Battlefield 4

Hardcore gamers, share your exciting experience with other fans! Discuss games both old and new , share tips and advice.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Battlefield 4

Postby Kahless » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:00 am

What do you think of the new Battlefield 4?

I for one think it takes realism in gaming to a whole new level! The environmental effects like the weather, lighting, water, smoke, etc. is just outstanding. The story line is decent but nothing really new. One thing that really annoys me though is there are multiple buttons that the game won't let you map things to. So I can't use my regular keyboard profile I prefer. I hope that gets fixed soon.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
2: i5 3570k-660Ti-8gb corsair 1600mhz-corsair AX850-Smsng 27"-Gigabyte mobo
Kahless
X-RC Member

Re: Battlefield 4

Postby mhudon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:00 pm

I agree, realism really is at a new level. I could say the same about 2013's Tomb Raider graphics. You start the game in a corridor where I actually got amazed at the difference in texture between the painted versus damaged parts of the wall. They went overboard with the glare effects. A third of the screen sometimes got engulf in a whitish cloudy picture, the programmers might be ignoring the magic called polarized glasses. Again, Dice did put a lot of work in the sounding department. Whatever action you’re doing, sound immersion really make you feel into it. Using my favorite sound combo, a little Fiio E10 USB DAC headphone AMP and my Audiotechnica ATM-M50 headphones, I could easily hear enemies coming at me from all directions.

Resources wise, after updating to the latest 13.11 Beta drivers, no issues at ultra-setting in 1080p. The game was launched using the Raptr which had no visible impact in gameplay. Almost no load time for SSD owners.

IMO, story line of the single player campaign is lacking in many ways. It's still far from the reference in this type of single player game being COD (again IMO). The closer you get to the more I've found myself thinking that many shortcuts were made, BUT you don't buy Battlefield 4 for the single player experience no?

I'll come back with my impression on the multiplayer experience. The return of features such as the commander mode might be a huge plus.
Eat the Mushroom... feel the love!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Kahless » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 pm

I think their programmers did an amazing job making the game scale to different systems and look good. It should be an example to other companies out there. I know games that look half as good as battlefield 4 and run at less frame rates on my system.

The sound is incredible! I haven't tried it on my 5.1 system only my headphones. But the explosions on my headphones really push them to their limits.

I'm not a huge multiplayer fan so I will probably stick with the single player for now.
1: Coolermaster HAFX-i7 4930K 4.6ghz-32gb GSkill TridentX 2133mhz-256gb Samsung 840 Pro-250gb Samsung 840 Evo-16Tb HD-Dell U2713HM 27" IPS1440P - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition-Corsair H100i-EVGA Superclocked 3X-780Ti SLI-Denon AVR-1713-Energy 5.1 Take Classic-Steelseries Apex-Windows 8.1 Pro-Corsair AX1500i.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Tiggerz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:28 pm

To me anything after 1942 was really going downhill. Too much needless visual and audio effects, they really need to work with some professional competition gamers on the next version.
My posts in X-Bit forums don't mean I condone racist or discriminatory comments made by forum members regarding any other individuals. I support the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & recognize that all people are born free & equal in dignity & rights & should be treated accordingly in the spirit of brotherhood, freedom, justice and peace in the world
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby Kahless » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:43 am

To me the visual and audio effects are what keeps me interested in the game. I end up being really excited to see what sort of really cool thing is going to happen on the next level.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby mhudon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:04 am

You really have to try the multiplayer mode. BF2 was actually my first entry in this world. Battlefield Bad Companie2 brought total map world destruction. You could literally level an entire village with tanks, removing cover and hidding spots for troopers.

If you want to give it a go, begin with 32 players maps and select Conquest mode for a smooter start. The more strategic points one team owns, the more points you get.

I wont lie, you WILL get literally raped at first. Join a squad, try a little team play at first, get to know the maps and enjoy the ride! This gets really addictive!

If you wish to add me to your friends list, add Hudon.
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby TAViX » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:52 am

Game is nice, but nothing special imo. Crysis 3 I think it still looking a little better, but zero complains on graphic department. A little complain on sound department thou. The sound effects are nice but nowhere near an EAX 5, A3D 2.0 or even DS3D, and I mean mostly the up/down feeling, the through walls sound, the inside/outside different sound freq, etc, etc. But I agree, best of any game released lately.
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Haven't bought it just yet... waiting to buy my new HD 7870 card this coming Wednesday ( my birthday :D ), then will grab BF4 at same time...

BTW, Mhudon's Fiio E10 USB headphone amp is a pretty sweet little unit for around $80:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/r ... ers-page-4

If I didn't just buy an Asus Xonar DG PCI sound card ( has its own onboard headphone amp, not the greatest but much better than onboard sound for cheap...$35... ) then I would consider grabbing one of these...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:26 pm

I may have to look into that game..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Kahless » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 pm

I wasn't a fan of Battlefield 3. I tried playing it many times but couldn't get into it. I found BF4 allot more engaging.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Tiggerz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:55 pm

Kahless wrote:To me the visual and audio effects are what keeps me interested in the game. I end up being really excited to see what sort of really cool thing is going to happen on the next level.

For a bit of fun it ok. However, for competitive gaming one tends to strip things down to the minimum. Only need sound to know where the E is, only need enough graphics to see E, every thing else isn't really relevant. That's why I still like playing americas army.
My posts in X-Bit forums don't mean I condone racist or discriminatory comments made by forum members regarding any other individuals. I support the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & recognize that all people are born free & equal in dignity & rights & should be treated accordingly in the spirit of brotherhood, freedom, justice and peace in the world
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby Kahless » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:58 pm

I understand. I fire up team fortress 2 from time to time. Sure is fun and its not exactly advanced in the graphics department. I even played Team Fortress Classic for years when there were flashier games out.

Its like the difference between going to Pacific Rim in theaters vs. some Daniel Day Lewis movie.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby mhudon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 pm

For me, total map destruction really was a revelation in Battlefield Bad Company 2. The pleasure of dropping houses with opponents inside, or blowing up a wall to let your squad mates shoots enemies hiding behind it really made me feel like a bad boy. Some of the best gaming sessions I had until now.

Update on Battlefield 4 multi player experience: IT'S GREAT. You can't destroy everything, but the maps are really well designed. Snipers can't easily dominate the field since there's a lot of cover. It's fun and pretty easy to drive vehicles, choppers, boats and planes. The return of the commander mode is great and well done. It take time to upgrade weapons and kits. I'll be spending a lot of time there in the next months!
mhudon
X-bit Prince Fluffybutt

Postby Kahless » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:43 pm

I don't see how anyone could possibly play or enjoy that game on a gamepad on a console. I wouldn't be able to shoot anything because your often shooting enemies from a distance and they are small. I would never be able to enter my crosshairs with a gamepad. Need a mouse for precision.
Kahless
X-RC Member

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 am

Agreed. BTW BF4 looks noticeably better on the pc ( of course ) with a good gaming system, proof:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/16985 ... aster-race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqWRACk2zY

This generation, multi-platform games will be as close in quality as they have ever been, thanks to the x86 architecture and extremely similar GPUs, RAM, and CPUs of each console. So, while console comparisons are as sure to happen as those bile-filled tweets, they’re likely going to showcase two versions of games that are barely distinguishable from one another. With Battlefield 4, though, Digital Foundry discovered that — adding to the already heated controversy — the Xbox One version is natively running at just 720p, while the PS4 version is natively running at 900p.

What this difference in native resolution means for Battlefield 4 is that, more or less, the Xbox One version will be more aliased (jaggy) than the PS4 version.

There are other subtle differences, such as the Xbox One version looking a little more crisp, not counting that increase in jaggies. The extra crispy Xbox One graphics make the image pop a little more than the PS4 image, but rather than make the prettiest image possible, the sub-pixel breakup is also more noticeable. In terms of performance, the PS4 version of the game keeps a small lead of frames-per-second over the Xbox One, and it recovers just a little faster from dips in frame rate.

Overall, to quote Digital Foundry, “the PS4 offers a superior experience on several fronts.” From the higher 900p resolution and slightly higher frame rate, to the more visible aliasing on the Xbox One. Though the PS4 version runs at a higher resolution than the Xbox One, it still is being upscaled to 1080p, which means the overall quality can’t fully match the PC version running the highest settings. Instead, the PS4 version comes close, comparable to the PC version’s second-highest settings. However, the Xbox One version holds up despite its “undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics” with regards to frame rate and resolution.

So, if you’re torn between which version of BF4 to pick up, though the PS4 version performs a little better, the choice should come down to which console’s controller you prefer, and how much you hate even a semblance of aliasing. If you’re a PC gamer, you can remain seated atop your glorious throne, but everyone else’s chairs are suddenly getting much taller and almost as comfortable as yours.

The Xbox One actually looks better in the above direct comparison...slightly sharper textures...kinda surprising given that the PS4 has a bit stronger gpu than the Xbone, but the video above proves differently...

The new consoles are closing the gap, but pc still rules overall! :scout:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dice-i ... 0-6415810/

Battlefield 4 executive producer Patrick Bach has said the studio is looking into allowing users to fully customize their own Battlefield controls. "We have looked into it and there is quite a lot of complexity involved in that due to first-party certification issues," said Bach in an interview with Game Informer. "There is a reason you almost never see this on console games. With that said, we are looking into how we could look into this for the future."

Battlefield 4's control scheme has been modified from Battlefield 3, with one change moving team communications to a bumper button and meaning commands such as melee and vehicle countermeasures have had to be moved to elsewhere on the controller.

"When we looked at controls in Battlefield 4 we placed the team play aspect of our controls as the highest priority. We wanted players to be familiar with using spotting and the communication rose in multiplayer as well as the engage and tactical visor in single player," said Bach.

"To accomplish this we needed a button that allowed players quick access while also enabling the player to still perform all the necessary functions of Battlefield, like shooting, aiming, moving, and melee. We also know that players require consistency, especially players who will want to move from a PS3 to a PS4 or a Xbox 360 to a Xbox One. With this in mind, we moved our teamplay functions to a bumper button, which required us to make additional changes, all to highlight one of Battlefield's key strengths. It also enabled the use of the communication rose with a controller."

Explaining the decision further, Bach said that "Our default layouts are designed to be accessible and familiar to new players, while keeping teamplay and social features close at hand."

"For people who don't like these new controls [DICE is] offering a Veteran scheme that basically returns the controls to the Battlefield 3 standard, with one major difference--the [Communications] Rose is still married to the right bumper whether you are on foot or in a vehicle, which moves countermeasures and melee attacks."

PC players are still able to freely customise their Battlefield 4 controls.

Battlefield 4 will be released on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 on October 29. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions will follow at launch.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Agreed. BTW BF4 looks noticeably better on the pc ( of course ) with a good gaming system, proof:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/16985 ... aster-race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqWRACk2zY

This generation, multi-platform games will be as close in quality as they have ever been, thanks to the x86 architecture and extremely similar GPUs, RAM, and CPUs of each console. So, while console comparisons are as sure to happen as those bile-filled tweets, they’re likely going to showcase two versions of games that are barely distinguishable from one another. With Battlefield 4, though, Digital Foundry discovered that — adding to the already heated controversy — the Xbox One version is natively running at just 720p, while the PS4 version is natively running at 900p.

What this difference in native resolution means for Battlefield 4 is that, more or less, the Xbox One version will be more aliased (jaggy) than the PS4 version.

There are other subtle differences, such as the Xbox One version looking a little more crisp, not counting that increase in jaggies. The extra crispy Xbox One graphics make the image pop a little more than the PS4 image, but rather than make the prettiest image possible, the sub-pixel breakup is also more noticeable. In terms of performance, the PS4 version of the game keeps a small lead of frames-per-second over the Xbox One, and it recovers just a little faster from dips in frame rate.

Overall, to quote Digital Foundry, “the PS4 offers a superior experience on several fronts.” From the higher 900p resolution and slightly higher frame rate, to the more visible aliasing on the Xbox One. Though the PS4 version runs at a higher resolution than the Xbox One, it still is being upscaled to 1080p, which means the overall quality can’t fully match the PC version running the highest settings. Instead, the PS4 version comes close, comparable to the PC version’s second-highest settings. However, the Xbox One version holds up despite its “undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics” with regards to frame rate and resolution.

So, if you’re torn between which version of BF4 to pick up, though the PS4 version performs a little better, the choice should come down to which console’s controller you prefer, and how much you hate even a semblance of aliasing. If you’re a PC gamer, you can remain seated atop your glorious throne, but everyone else’s chairs are suddenly getting much taller and almost as comfortable as yours.

The Xbox One actually looks better in the above direct comparison...slightly sharper textures...kinda surprising given that the PS4 has a bit stronger gpu than the Xbone, but the video above proves differently...

But at a lower resolution.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby RollingCamel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 pm

The new consoles are closing the gap, but pc still rules overall!

I don't think that the new consoles were built to be anywhere close to a PC 2 years ago or even more....which is something good. Rather than I candy the focus for the machines to be more and more of a complete home entertainment system is much more appealing.
RollingCamel

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:52 pm

Graphics is still important of course but I hear what you are saying Akram/Rolling Camel.

The Xbox One is designed for exactly what you mentioned "one entertainment/media device for your living room". 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Any comparison out yet between Playstation4 vs Xbox? I mean real ones, not based on specs.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 am

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/ ... e_review/5

Battlefield 4 Windows 7 vs. 8.1 Performance Review

Is in-game real world Battlefield 4 gaming performance better on the Windows 8.1 operating system or on Windows 7? We look at video card performance between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 in this game and find out if upgrading to Windows 8.1 is worth it or not for the much rumored performance advantage.

Performance Advantage

Is there a performance advantage in Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 for BF4? The answer is, "Yes." We consistently found that under Windows 8.1 BF4 performed faster than Windows 7 on both AMD and NVIDIA hardware. Both GPUs, from both vendors, had a consistent performance advantage in every test we performed. More importantly, in the real-world multiplayer gaming session that matters, there was a performance advantage.

Now, this performance advantage is small on the R9 290X at around 3%. It is larger on the GTX 780 at around 6%. We found this more interesting. It seems the GeForce GTX 780 was more advantageous in performance under Windows 8.1 than the R9 290X was. We did not expect that. With all the work AMD has put into BF4 and DX11.1, we figured the R9 290X would show the highest performance advantages. However, the reverse is true. It is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 that is benefiting the most from Windows 8.1.

Gameplay Image Quality Advantage

Was there an advantage to the image quality settings under Windows 8.1? The answer is "No."
The performance advantages were generally small at 3-6%. This isn’t enough of a performance boost to allow us to raise the resolution, or raise the AA settings, or raise an image quality setting. We were not able to play at different game settings under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7. This means the game will look the same under both operating systems.

Gameplay Experience Advantages

Are there gameplay experience advantages under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 in BF4? The answer is a, "Big YES."

Under Windows 7, we experienced choppiness as we played. This was felt both in the "Test Range" map, and in multiplayer gaming sessions. The choppiness was more pronounced on the GeForce GTX 780. We could get on a straight path, in the "Test Range" and move down a straight road. As we did this, there would be a pause, or chop, in the frames randomly. It was like the game was hitching for no reason. This happened more on the GTX 780. This is under Windows 7.

When we tried this on Windows 8.1 the pausing, or hitching, or chop (however you want to describe it) was completely gone. Moving was smoother with no hitching in the game on the GTX 780. This affected both the test range and the multiplayer gaming session.

Therefore, the gameplay experience advantage under Windows 8.1 is a smoother gameplay experience in BF4 on both video cards.

Upgrade to Windows 8.1

Finally, the big question, should you upgrade to Windows 8.1 for BF4? We are on the fence about this one because it really depends on what kind of a BF4 player you are.

If you are hardcore BF4 player, and you eat, breathe, and live this game, and you play for hours a day, then yes, Windows 8.1 is an advantageous upgrade for you. It will provide a smoother experience, with no hitching or choppiness. Also, if you own a GeForce GTX GPU series it will help those framerates more and help improve the minimum framerate, which is very important in a game like this. You have to understand it won’t change your image quality settings, it will just pretty much provide a smoother experience, with higher minimum FPS.

If you are a casual BF4 gaming, then no, upgrading to Windows 8.1 is a waste of money for you for this game. There aren’t enough improvements to justify the price of upgrading to Windows 8.1 for just one game.

Mantle
The new and upcoming Mantle API may throw a wrench into the situation and shake things up. If simply moving to a new OS, based on the same DX API, improves performance like we saw today, our hopes are very high on what a new API could do in comparison to DirectX. We are very excited about finding out this December. The fact though that we got as much as 6% performance advantage on the same API, just by upgrading the OS, gives us a lot of hope for Mantle and the completely different API that it is.

The Bottom Line
We think we have nailed all aspects of Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 in BF4. There is a performance advantage, but it is small. A lot of people were right that Windows 8.1 is faster than Windows 7 in BF4. However, it isn’t massively faster. It certainly isn’t fast enough to actually change real-world gameplay settings. The performance advantage, even at its highest of 6%, wasn’t enough to change the gameplay settings or make it look better under Windows 8.1

What we found more interesting was that the GeForce GTX 780 had the highest advantage under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 compared to the R9 290X. This is good news for NVIDIA GPU owners. This will narrow the performance with the competition, simply by upgrading the OS for this game. Thankfully we ran our Battlefield 4 Video Card Performance and IQ Review under Windows 8.1 so that performance is reflected. However, if you read other reviews or articles out there, and these are testing this game on Windows 7 you will find that Radeon R9 series to have a wider performance win compared to the NVIDIA GPU series. Under Windows 8.1, the performance will be narrower in this game.

A lot of people were right that BF4 is faster, and performs smoother in Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7. A lot of people were wrong that it was a large difference, or changed the gameplay quality settings. It gives a small boost in framerates, it helps the minimum FPS (the most advantageous to hardcore gamers), and it provides a smoother experience. We will continue to use Windows 8.1 as our operating system for GPU reviews as it does allow our video cards to shine a bit brighter.

Meh, not enough of a performance gain to convince me to switch from W7 to W8.1

Still waiting for Mantle to come out for BF4 ( should happen by Christmas according to articles ).

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Gamer's Corner