Intel Z87 motherboard - Want to install XP chipset drivers

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Intel Z87 motherboard - Want to install XP chipset drivers

Postby Leprekaun » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi all. I did a recent system upgrade and I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any Intel Z87 chipset drivers for Windows XP 32-bit. The ASUS driver disc only comes with Win7 drivers and up and I would like to have my system set up as an XP-Win7 dual boot so are there any chipset drivers for Windows XP for the Intel Z87 board? I looked on Intel.com but couldn't really find anything that specifically mentions chipset drivers for Windows XP 32-bit. Thanks.
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: Intel Z87 motherboard - Want to install XP chipset drivers

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Easy, just dl them direct from Asus website.

Here is the link for your model of board:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87A/#support

Simply click on "Choose OS" and select "Win XP", then download the drivers...cheers!

Edit: NVM - after selecting XP, only 1 files shows up as available for download ( under utilities section ) and it is just the ACPI driver... no audio, lan, or other xp drivers that you are looking for...

I checked Win 7 and of course then ALL the drivers show up available for downloading...argh...sucks...

Looks like Asus is not supporting this new mobo with XP drivers as XP is officially discontinued by Q1 2014...

Proof: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... ivers.html

So there are no XP drivers for your motherboard - how about Linux??!! :twisted: :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Any reason you want to be able to boot to XP?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Jordi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:38 am

You can get them directly from Intel as well:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... ldID=20775

File name: infinst_autol.exe
Version: 9.4.0.1026
Date: 08/08/2013
Size: 5.88 MB
Language: English
Operating Systems:
Windows 2000 *, Windows 7 *, Windows 7 (64-bit)*, Windows 8*, Windows 8, 64-bit*, Windows 8.1*, Windows 8.1, 64-bit*, Windows Server 2008 R2*, Windows Server 2012 R2*, Windows Server 2012*, Windows Vista *, Windows Vista 64*, Windows XP *, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*
Jordi

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:32 am

Its an Intel chipset, makes sense to search for drivers @ Intel site..although for mobo's the first choice would be the manufacturer. Apparently not in this case.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Leprekaun » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks guys :). I downloaded that INF update Intel Chipset driver. Something that got me thinking last night, would it be a big problem if I installed Z68 drivers for my Z87 board in WinXP? I would think that the Intel 8 series boards would be built upon the 7 series boards so it could technically work. I'd understand that I may not get the full features that would come with 8 series drivers but I don't mind, I just want some base drivers there so that WinXP can interface correctly with the board.

@Sauron: I want to install WinXP because certain older games just don't run very well on Win7. I'm a little oldschool ;) but some games that are older I really enjoy and Win7 interferes with them :( so that's why I'd like to have a dual boot to run those games.
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:39 am

Jordi wrote:You can get them directly from Intel as well:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... ldID=20775

File name: infinst_autol.exe
Version: 9.4.0.1026
Date: 08/08/2013
Size: 5.88 MB
Language: English
Operating Systems:
Windows 2000 *, Windows 7 *, Windows 7 (64-bit)*, Windows 8*, Windows 8, 64-bit*, Windows 8.1*, Windows 8.1, 64-bit*, Windows Server 2008 R2*, Windows Server 2012 R2*, Windows Server 2012*, Windows Vista *, Windows Vista 64*, Windows XP *, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*

Hi Jordi, yes, he can, but he is looking for ALL the motherboard drivers, such as onboard audio, LAN, etc. drivers, not just the INF chipset driver here... he should have been more explicit when he said he was looking for "intel motherboard chipset drivers", he meant all the drivers...which are not made by Asus for WinXP as it is now discontinued , or just about to be discontinued officially.

He might get lucky and find these drivers from each manufacturer's website, such as Realtek driver for XP if he has Realtek audio chip onboard, and if he has a Broadcom network chip for LAN, then direct from Broadcom's site for XP driver... dunno, it won't be easy though...

Perhaps Windows Update might be fortunate enough to properly recognize his drivers automatically and load them in Win XP... dunno till you try...

If he installs XP, and it does not recognize his onboard LAN chip thus preventing internet usage, he could temporarily install a network card ( USB, PCI, or PCI express network card ) and load its XP driver, connect to the internet, then run Windows Update to auto-detect his drivers...or download appropriate ones if they exist... will be a PITA but it might work out for him, dunno...good luck!

Leprekaun wrote:Thanks guys :). I downloaded that INF update Intel Chipset driver. Something that got me thinking last night, would it be a big problem if I installed Z68 drivers for my Z87 board in WinXP? I would think that the Intel 8 series boards would be built upon the 7 series boards so it could technically work. I'd understand that I may not get the full features that would come with 8 series drivers but I don't mind, I just want some base drivers there so that WinXP can interface correctly with the board.

@Sauron: I want to install WinXP because certain older games just don't run very well on Win7. I'm a little oldschool ;) but some games that are older I really enjoy and Win7 interferes with them :( so that's why I'd like to have a dual boot to run those games.

Does not hurt to try! :wink:

Edit: Just found this relevant info:

http://www.pagestart.com/winxphaswell080713.html

Windows XP - Haswell processors not supported.

August 7th, 2013

Don’t look now, motherboard manufacturers do not offer Windows XP chipset or device drivers.

Planning to build a new Intel Haswell based processor system in the next few months; that was my plan. Much to my surprise after checking 4 major motherboard manufacturer’s products, there are no XP device drivers available.

I called tech support for two of my favorite brands and they both pointed the finger at Intel for the lack of a XP chipset driver.
For me that makes my plans for a quad boot (XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1) system will now be a triple boot system.

As of August of 2013 Windows XP still has about a 37% market share and Windows 7 with 44%. Windows 8 trails far behind with only a little more than 5%. Does it make sense to exclude XP?

Yes you still find Windows XP media for sale, but you need to be very careful where you buy it from as some may not be legitimate (bogus product keys).

For those of you who purchased a PC with XP pre-installed, you are out of luck as OEM versions of XP cannot be installed and activated on another PC. A retail version however can be moved from your old PC to a newly built PC (as long as it’s not a socket 1150 / 87 chipset, Haswell based motherboard).

As for me, well I have other systems than can run XP quite nicely so I may wait for Intel’s Ivy Bridge-E processors to be released later this year. But if you can’t wait there are plenty of socket 1155 processors and motherboards that support Windows XP.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 pm

Why would Intel (not) do such a thing..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:14 am

As I said, Windows XP is officially discontinued so they don't want to support it anymore... they would rather focus on newer OS drivers instead. :P This is because M$ has paid off Intel to NOT provide any XP drivers, thus FORCING people to buy a newer M$ OS such as Win 7 or 8, thus making M$ more profits of course... AMD/ATi did the exact same thing with their relatively new HD 7790 card, no XP drivers, never will be...sad but true...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... pport.aspx

Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003

Support Ends April 8, 2014

That message is for general public/consumers. Businesses can still pay for "extended Win XP support and future security updates" past that date. However, some hacker out there will no doubt get their hands on these paid private updates in the future and upload them to the web no doubt! :twisted: :D

XP drivers for new hw will become non-existent of coure, it is already happening as you can see in this thread...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:07 am

XP still has a market presence of 37%. How can a hardware manufacturer ignore that..
"Someone"-cough MS cough- compensating?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:21 am

They don't care about XP's market share, they are trying to "kill it off" and force peepz to more modern OS , so they can profit of course...just simple business tactics at work here, nothing shocking really...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:02 am

Its disturbing that those tactics are no longer shocking..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:14 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Its disturbing that those tactics are no longer shocking..

Very. And that MS is allowed to get away with it.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:56 am

Not just M$, Intel wants to sell more chips too of course... and that is more likely to happen when people are forced to give up XP, and a buy a new OS which usually means a new computer purchase with that new OS on it for the most part...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:51 am

So, if everybody does it, its OK then?
Bad world..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby monohouse » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:55 am

did you get it to work eventually ? can the xp system work without chipset drivers ? I am asking because I am also planning to buy a z87/z97 and run windows xp on it
monohouse

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:51 pm

If it works without chipset drivers you will miss functions on your mobo.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby monohouse » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:43 am

does anyone have any experience installing xp on such a platform ? can you tell which functionality will be missing ?
monohouse

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Why would you not at least upgrade to Windows 7 ( either buy it legally for $100 or pirate it for free ) on such a modern chipset motherboard?? This baffles me a great deal tbh...

I run Win XP on a free old Pentium III-based piece of crap pc donated to me that I use as an HTPC in my living room, but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to still run XP as their primary OS on a brand new motherboard and cpu on their main computer... XP is limited to DX9 only, so no modern gaming ( not important to some people but they are in the minority ). Latest versions of Internet Explorer ( IE9 plus ) will not run at all under XP by design, and the list goes on and on...

Upgrade your OS and QUIT BITCHING, please and thank you!!!

XP came out in 2002 and is now over 12 years old!! It will NOT be supported forever on brand new modern hardware such as your new motherboard... use linux if you are a cheap-ass that refuses to spend $100 on a new modern OS...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:43 pm

XP is limited to DX9 only, so no modern gaming ( not important to some people but they are in the minority )

The minority if you only count gamers yes. And actually i doubt the statement even then. I run XP, my brother runs XP, some of my cousins runs XP, some of my friends runs XP. Several of those referred to ARE gamers.

"so no modern gaming"? Rubbish.

Latest versions of Internet Explorer ( IE9 plus ) will not run at all under XP by design, and the list goes on and on...

And who uses IE?

Upgrade your OS and QUIT BITCHING, please and thank you!!!

XP came out in 2002 and is now over 12 years old!! It will NOT be supported forever on brand new modern hardware such as your new motherboard... use linux if you are a cheap-ass that refuses to spend $100 on a new modern OS... ffs...

Manners old man. That was seriously offensive. 2 blatant personal attacks? :incoming:

And in case you forgot, XP is still 2nd most used OS based on net applications statistics.
Win 7, 50%
WXP 25%
W8, 12%
OSX, 7%
Vista, 3%
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Next

Return to General Hardware Forum