Dell XPS 15 Screen Interchange between Matte and Glossy?

Discuss Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, and other Mobile computing devices here ( except Smartphones which has its own forum ).

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Dell XPS 15 Screen Interchange between Matte and Glossy?

Postby Leprekaun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi all. After spilling a couple of drops of coffee on the right side of the keyboard of my laptop, I decided to open up my laptop to dry up any spillage that could've gone underneath the palm assembly. Anyway, I did that and the laptop is working perfectly but in the process of prying the palm assembly up (I didn't have a spudger so I used a flat-head screwdriver) the screw driver slipped and scratched the screen :( . I wouldn't take notice of it if it was only visible when my laptop is powered off or the display is off but when I booted up into Windows, I could see a clear scratch line with distorted colours in the scratch line itself.

I've already seen a video on how to disassemble the screen and just to make sure I could do it, I tried doing it myself and it was fine, no problem, I did it. Now it's just a case of getting a replacement screen. After searching for a while and taking note of the P/N, I finally settled on two different options. My current scratched screen is a glossy one but personally, I prefer a matte screen like I have on my desktop PC. When working in college and the sun is out, I have to turn the brightness up to avoid reflection on the screen. But as my laptop screen is glossy, can I only ever use a glossy screen with my laptop or making the switch to matte will work just fine? Thanks.

The Dell P/N (DP/N) of my screen is 08MN61
CN-08MN61
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: Dell XPS 15 Screen Interchange between Matte and Glossy?

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:03 am

I don't see why not.. but there are considerations: http://www.spamming software.com/matte-vs-glossy-screens
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Re: Dell XPS 15 Screen Interchange between Matte and Glossy?

Postby Leprekaun » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks Sauron :). I know with matte screens, colour intensity can be less and contrast as well but I just prefer the idea of looking at the screen, light or dark, and seeing stuff clearly. Glossy screens are so annoying when you're in a sun-lit area.
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Return to Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets