Sign in sheet

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Welcome back! Did you miss us?

Yes Of course
75%
Yes
No votes
I only missed MonkRX
8%
Maybe
8%
No
No votes
Not at all
No votes
What's X-bit?
8%

Total votes : 12

Sign in sheet

Postby MonkRX » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 am

Welcome Back, X-bit Labs Forums!
Post below to show that you're back and lurkin' around.
Say Hi.
Say you missed us.
Say you hated us.
Say you had no direction in life without us.
Say that the day X-bit labs came back was the best day in your life.

Welcome back, everyone. Thanks to everyone who kept in contact during this downtime (H_T on Facebook), thanks to everyone who patiently waited. Thanks to those who weren't patient but came back anyway.

Thanks mods, admins, site admins, etc.
MonkRX
X-bit Guru

Re: Sign in sheet

Postby veli05 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:43 am

Yo yo checking in, I did respond to the mod email so yall have me email address now .... do not know how I feel about that :twisted: :moon: :licks:

I have had a busy summer at the place of emplyment but I have missed you guys. It was so anticlimatic for me you I was like many times "lets see what xbit is up to" say WHAT the site is down /sadface .. week later site is still down /addersadface /annoyed face thought the work proxy was getting in the way apparently not.

I want details beyond the mod email though. What exactly was the deal?
veli05

Postby diastole87 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:08 am

woot, were back!
If it aint broke.....fix it until it is
diastole87
Official X-bit photochopper

Postby Tiggerz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:11 am

I hadn't noticed it was offline.

I had given up logging in as the forums don't work on later browsers and kept locking my account. It only allows one attempt at entering the password, then requires a captcha (which it does not display), so one cannot log back in. I have to keep sending email to a mod. The issue still occurs for me, so I suspect next time it occurs I shan't log back in again.
My posts in X-Bit forums don't mean I condone racist or discriminatory comments made by forum members regarding any other individuals. I support the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & recognize that all people are born free & equal in dignity & rights & should be treated accordingly in the spirit of brotherhood, freedom, justice and peace in the world
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby Celt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:26 am

The ISP reconfigured the servers without telling the site admins. They could fix the main site as they had backups and could restore it after they moved ISP, but there was none for the forums, so they had to wait for the server to be shipped to XBit HQ, where it could be rebuilt with the data in situ . . . I don't know who the ISP were but if I ever find out . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby veli05 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Celt wrote:The ISP reconfigured the servers without telling the site admins. They could fix the main site as they had backups and could restore it after they moved ISP, but there was none for the forums, so they had to wait for the server to be shipped to XBit HQ, where it could be rebuilt with the data in situ . . . I don't know who the ISP were but if I ever find out . . .

They could fix the main site as they had backups and could restore it after they moved ISP, but there was none for the forums

That is down right retarded :?
veli05

Postby Fuzz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:26 pm

veli05 wrote:I want details beyond the mod email though. What exactly was the deal?

It started with HammerTime posting one to many Bieber videos. Xbit got a cease and desist letter from one of Biebers lawyers/hommies.

Biebs and lawyers

When Xbit tried to remove the content, they found it had become embedded in the site code. Since this is counter to Russian law, the server had to be shipped to Antarctica, the only place cold enough to contain the Biebs.

should be cold enough...

The plan was to freeze the bastard out of the cold, so it was sent to Antarctica and the plan was well underway. Unfortunately those bastard penguins, the Emperors, thinking they were all that and a bag of chips took the server hostage.

ImageImage

BASTARDS!

It was their mistake though, as they were ketchup chips.

So I sent in Red Ketchup to take care of business. And yes, business WAS taken care of.

Go team RED!

All that remained was for the frozen server to be shipped to its new home, but during shipping some Nazguls got a hold of the ship.

Apparently Sauron thought it was best the server be deep six'd lest HT use a satellite link to try to rescue the Biebs. Fortunately Stupify convinced Sauron to call off the Nazguls, telling him Sauron's post count would be lost if the server fell into the possession of Davey Jones. Sauron had the server dropped to Celt so he could rebuild the RAID array, as some LOLcats had gotten inside and messed with the wiring.
awww jeezz....
Once rebuilt, its next stop was with the Direwolf to add some much needed defenses to keep future Beiberposts at bay. He outfitted it with a GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun, a tiger 2 tank cannon, some sidewinders, a tomahawk, and a few tactical nuclear warheads. Image

that should do it...

He also put some racing stripes on, which are a nice addition.

It was then sent back to Xbit headquarters, and here we are. Back alive, and hopefully Bieberproofed.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Celt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm

veli05 wrote:
Celt wrote:The ISP reconfigured the servers without telling the site admins. They could fix the main site as they had backups and could restore it after they moved ISP, but there was none for the forums, so they had to wait for the server to be shipped to XBit HQ, where it could be rebuilt with the data in situ . . . I don't know who the ISP were but if I ever find out . . .

They could fix the main site as they had backups and could restore it after they moved ISP, but there was none for the forums

That is down right retarded :?

Yes, we are . . . That was partly our fault.
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:24 pm

I did respond to the mod email

What mod email?

The ISP reconfigured the servers without telling the site admins. They could fix the main site as they had backups and could restore it after they moved ISP, but there was none for the forums, so they had to wait for the server to be shipped to XBit HQ, where it could be rebuilt with the data in situ . . . I don't know who the ISP were but if I ever find out . . .

I can provide the proper explosives, i mean demolition appliances.

One thing to note though, damn the forum is quick now.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:59 pm

:lol: @ Fuzz's post/explanation! Tis all true... :mrgreen:

BTW, I notice that only 1 person voted for "I only missed MonkRX" !! Now, I wonder who would have voted for that one! :twisted: :whistle: :lol:

Anyways, I know I posted on X-bit's FB page in a drunken rant that I was sick of the delays and quit the forums. However, the other mods refuse to let me quit so easily, so here I am once more for better or worse...hopefully better! :wink: Thanks to those of you who came back here after 3 months of forum downtime.

Now, in honour of all those who "believed" that the forums would eventually come back online, I present you with this:

"I pledge to you all that I will continue to pump out auto-tuned crap, and continue to "cover" old classics, and otherwise grow my empire on the backs of the millions of eternally optimistic females both young and old who continue to belieb everything I say no matter how ridiculous... - Justin Boober"

:lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:29 am

Fuzz wrote:
veli05 wrote:I want details beyond the mod email though. What exactly was the deal?

It started with HammerTime posting one to many Nobody videos. Xbit got a cease and desist letter from one of Biebers lawyers/hommies.

Biebs and lawyers

When Xbit tried to remove the content, they found it had become embedded in the site code. Since this is counter to Russian law, the server had to be shipped to Antarctica, the only place cold enough to contain the Biebs.

should be cold enough...

The plan was to freeze the bastard out of the cold, so it was sent to Antarctica and the plan was well underway. Unfortunately those bastard penguins, the Emperors, thinking they were all that and a bag of chips took the server hostage.

ImageImage

BASTARDS!

It was their mistake though, as they were ketchup chips.

So I sent in Red Ketchup to take care of business. And yes, business WAS taken care of.

Go team RED!

All that remained was for the frozen server to be shipped to its new home, but during shipping some Nazguls got a hold of the ship.

Apparently Sauron thought it was best the server be deep six'd lest HT use a satellite link to try to rescue the Biebs. Fortunately Stupify convinced Sauron to call off the Nazguls, telling him Sauron's post count would be lost if the server fell into the possession of Davey Jones. Sauron had the server dropped to Celt so he could rebuild the RAID array, as some LOLcats had gotten inside and messed with the wiring.
awww jeezz....
Once rebuilt, its next stop was with the Direwolf to add some much needed defenses to keep future Beiberposts at bay. He outfitted it with a GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun, a tiger 2 tank cannon, some sidewinders, a tomahawk, and a few tactical nuclear warheads. Image

that should do it...

He also put some racing stripes on, which are a nice addition.

It was then sent back to Xbit headquarters, and here we are. Back alive, and hopefully Bieberproofed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:30 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
I did respond to the mod email

What mod email?

I sent out a mass email to all members to the email address provided by them..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:48 am

I'd laugh if that also went to the old banned members like allenpan, sheriff, and VictorF
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:39 am

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:51 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
I sent out a mass email to all members to the email address provided by them..

No email came here. :sniff:

My listed email should be either tninet.se or telia.com, probably the latter as i think i had ADSL when i joined. And all 5 of my email accounts works just fine...
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:53 am

Good point Celt!! :lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:14 am

It should have been sent to (one of your) Hotmail account(s).. Maybe its in the junk folder?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:53 am

Is this Sauron confirming that he posts spam?
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:51 am

:lol: Har har har!!

Snap!! Good one Celt!!

Perhaps we should give Sauron a temporary ban for spamming/mass emailing! :twisted: :incoming: :lol: :whistle:

His heart was in the right place though, so I think we will let him get away with it... this time... :mrgreen:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:52 am

Celt wrote:Is this Sauron confirming that he posts spam?

Yes.

It should have been sent to (one of your) Hotmail account(s).. Maybe its in the junk folder?

Nope. And i only have one hotmail account. Or as it is now, live.se(original adress still works though).

Huh, i just tested it again and now the original adress does NOT work...

Oh in how many ways do i hate Microsoft? Many, far too many to count the ways...

They force the adress change, then drop backwards compatibility after a few years? Oh wait, that´s what they always do after all. Stupid me for thinking that since it worked before it should still work. :roll:

I´ve changed to my telia email now, at least those i can shred to ittybitty pieces if they mess with my email. Microsoft is clearly not reliable enough to use as email handlers. Which makes me shudder at the thought of how troublesome it is now to use anything beyond MS email with W8...

In theory maybe i should use my tninet account, because telenordia has not existed for almost a decade now(and i haven´t paid for anything for another 2 years on top of that) and the email account still works just fine.
That´s what i call SERVICE!
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Next

Return to The Lounge