Format issues

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Format issues

Postby diastole87 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:58 pm

recently ive used 2 of my external hard drives to use as images for imaging multiple computers. well that task is over and i am trying to use my externals again, however i can not reformat them. to make the image i used diskcopy from easeUS.

WD Elements Desktop 2TB
Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive 4TB

i am having problems with the WD drive, don't care about it too much since its quite old and only 2TB, however the 4TB NEEDS to work properly but have not yet attempted to reformat it.

so far i have used the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" from the WD website to write all zeros to the drive, but still can not successfully format it.

using windows 7 pro

anyone have some ideas? my next step are hirens tools (boot nuke / stuff in minixp)
If it aint broke.....fix it until it is
diastole87
Official X-bit photochopper

Re: Format issues

Postby Celt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

You still got a floppy on your system? Boot into DOS and use fdisk to nuke the partition table! It'll make a small FAT partition but clearing the table will stop Windoze from being so stupid.
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 am

Can't nuke the partition inside Windows?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:56 am

Windows will not let you format the Primary Active Partition that the current operating system is installed on...you have to boot off a Windows disc, or into a Windows PXE ( Pre Execution Environment ), or boot using different OS like Linux or DOS etc in order to format that Windows partition...

Proof, if you have Windows installed on Drive C: on your computer for instance, go to My Computer, Right-Click on the C: drive icon, and select "Format"... Windows will not do it and tell you "You Cannot Format this Volume - it contains a version of Windows that you are currently running"...

You could use a tool like Partition Magic to nuke/format that partition from within Windows, but Windows itself will not allow you to do it using the Format command...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Stupify » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 am

if i am not mistaken, you can format the drive in the Windows installation process too regardless of it being Primary Active or what not.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Fuzz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 am

Can you go to Windows Disk Management, then delete the volumes, create a new partition and format?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:56 am

Stupify wrote:if i am not mistaken, you can format the drive in the Windows installation process too regardless of it being Primary Active or what not.

Yes, of course, I was just pointing out that you cannot do it from "within" Windows ( as outlined in my previous post ). You surely can format any drive/partition during Windows Setup/installation.

Fuzz wrote:Can you go to Windows Disk Management, then delete the volumes, create a new partition and format?

Only if you have multiple partitions on your disk drive, you cannot delete the primary partition from within Windows ( running Windows and trying to delete primary partition using Disk Manager utility ) :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -partition

Delete a hard disk partition

Applies to Windows 7
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

When you delete a hard disk partition or volume (the terms partition and volume are often used interchangeably), you create empty space that you can use to create new partitions.

If your hard disk is currently set up as a single partition, then you can't delete it. You also can't delete the system partition, boot partition, or any partition that contains the virtual memory paging file, because Windows needs this information to start correctly. For more information, see Can I repartition my hard disk?
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Windows will not let you format the Primary Active Partition that the current operating system is installed on...you have to boot off a Windows disc, or into a Windows PXE ( Pre Execution Environment ), or boot using different OS like Linux or DOS etc in order to format that Windows partition...

Proof, if you have Windows installed on Drive C: on your computer for instance, go to My Computer, Right-Click on the C: drive icon, and select "Format"... Windows will not do it and tell you "You Cannot Format this Volume - it contains a version of Windows that you are currently running"...

You could use a tool like Partition Magic to nuke/format that partition from within Windows, but Windows itself will not allow you to do it using the Format command...

He said he made images on them, not that they were (primary) boot drives.
Unless I misread his post..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Stupify wrote:if i am not mistaken, you can format the drive in the Windows installation process too regardless of it being Primary Active or what not.

Yes, but only at the start of the Windows install.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:28 pm

As I understood, this isn't an OS drive, just a secondary....
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby diastole87 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Celt wrote:You still got a floppy on your system? Boot into DOS and use fdisk to nuke the partition table! It'll make a small FAT partition but clearing the table will stop Windoze from being so stupid.

i do have a floppy port on my mobo but havent had a drive or disks in ages, if all else fails ill look in to it, would i beable to get away with booting to a floppy from an external usb floppy drive or just using a usb drive or cd for the sape purpose?

Sauron_Daz wrote:Can't nuke the partition inside Windows?
Fuzz wrote:Can you go to Windows Disk Management, then delete the volumes, create a new partition and format?

ive tried. dosnt work. the "quick" formats just say failed and the "non quick" formats take 2+ days and still fail.

Hammer_Time wrote:Windows will not let you format the Primary Active Partition that the current operating system is installed on...you have to boot off a Windows disc, or into a Windows PXE ( Pre Execution Environment ), or boot using different OS like Linux or DOS etc in order to format that Windows partition...

trying to format external drives, not internal drive / C drive

---

as always thank you all for the help, ill boot up in to a non windows environment and try again.
diastole87

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 am

But did you delete the partition before hitting (quick) format?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am

Ah right, forgot that you were talking about formatting external drives here , my bad...

Your best bet is to use a program like "Partition Magic" or similar to properly format your external hdd, best of luck!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:52 am

Still, strange that Windows won't let him format the drives..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 am

Oh, its 4GB, have you initialized the disk as GPT, not MBR?
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby diastole87 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:13 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:But did you delete the partition before hitting (quick) format?

Yes
Fuzz wrote:Oh, its 4GB, have you initialized the disk as GPT, not MBR?

its 2TB, and yes im using MBR, haven't tried the 4TB one yet
diastole87

Postby Fuzz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:40 am

I'd try using GPT then.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby nosirrahx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 am

MS made 2 big mistakes here. They were well aware that a huge number of people have everything they need in a phone/tablet and as people ditch their PCs they wanted to capture the exodus with other windows devices. Their first mistake was to assume that unifying the desktop, tablet and mobile experience would make it easy for their users to move between these devices without actually leaving windows behind. This was a mistake because instead of creating intuitive platforms for mobile that people would CHOSE to adopt, they elected to FORCE a single experience across all platforms. People hate it when you force change on them.

The second big mistake was that they waited too long to start this project. Apple was smart enough to get out ahead of this and now we see every other person using an iphone and/or ipad.
nosirrahx

Postby Fuzz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:46 am

Wrong thread?
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Heh heh, I was thinking the same thing... W8 thread material... :wink:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Technical Support