LG begins selling first OLED HDTV in the US

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:09 am

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130723PR206.html

Press release, July 23; Alex Wolfgram, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 23 July 2013]

LG has officially introduced the new LG Curved OLED TV for the US market.

Best Buy has begun selling the 55-inch class (54.6-inch diagonal) 55EA9800 at a Minnesota-based store. In the coming weeks, various Best Buy stores will sell the TV at US$14,999, the company said.

LG is the first company to commercialize both the flat screen OLED TV, which has been sold to consumers in Korea since January 2013, and the new Curved OLED TV, which began sales in Korea in April.

The TV is 0.17 inches (4.3 millimeters) thin at the edge of the screen and weighs less than 38 pounds (17.2 kilograms). It is equipped with a WRGB four-color pixel system featuring a white sub-pixel that works in conjunction with conventional red, green and blue pixels.

OLED TV technology from LG Electronics delivers an infinite contrast ratio for optimal contrast levels regardless of ambient brightness or viewing angle, said LG.

http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-55EA9800

Sure is not cheap... but then, didn't the first large-size projection tv's cost just as much years ago, and the first "large" LCD hdtv's too???

In 5 to 10 years time these will be mainstream and affordable, just like previous expensive-on-launch tech before it... 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: LG begins selling first OLED HDTV in the US

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:40 pm

That will be my next TV.

If affordable..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby TAViX » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Dat price!! :))
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby clone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Sure is not cheap... but then, didn't the first large-size projection tv's cost just as much years ago, and the first "large" LCD hdtv's too???

In 5 to 10 years time these will be mainstream and affordable, just like previous expensive-on-launch tech before it.
I'm good with anything that drives down the price of the 80" Sharp Aquos LED from $4500.00 to $1500.00 .... hoping it will sooner than later.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 am

:D Indeed!

But will an 80" Sharp Aquos LCD be really desirable with the new 4K tv's coming out?? Apparently the difference in resolution between those and existing LCD tv's is quite stunning, especially on screens larger than 50 to 60"...just saying... 4K will take 10 years to become mainstream, but it is the future it seems...

While the LG 55" OLED tv linked above has infinite contrast ratio, it is still "just" an HD tv with 1920x1080 pixel resolution: http://www.pricedealsindia.com/tv/lg/lg ... india.html

I talked to a guy on the street once, he told me he walked into a Walmart years ago and they had a 50" LCD tv on sale and on display near the stores entrance, so he simply put it on a shopping cart and walked right out into the parking lot with it ( stole it ) and nobody stopped him... I guess the RFID sensors were not working at the store's entrance that day or similar... he even showed me a picture of it he took with his cellphone afterwards in the parking lot, so proud of his achievement!! lmao... Don't try that today, you will get nailed for sure.. I was amazed he got away with it though, unbelievable... :shock:

Related:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/dell-ultrasharp-32/

Dell shows off the UltraSharp 32: a 32-inch Ultra HD display set to arrive in Q4 (eyes-on)  Hands-on

By Billy Steele posted Jul 23rd, 2013

If you're looking to boost the resolution of your workflow, Dell took the opportunity to unleash one such display during the proceedings at SIGGRAPH this week. The UltraSharp 32 is a 32-inch Ultra HD unit that wields a 3,840 x 2,160 IGZO panel sorting 1.07 billion colors. An aluminum stand has replaced the plastic-draped one from previous models, but the same height adjustments reside around back. The UltraSharp 32 also houses both full and mini display ports (with the requisite cable included), HDMI jack, a built-in USB hub and an SD card reader along the left side. We had a chance to take a quick peek at the device and we can confirm the image quality -- especially when it comes to handling rich blacks. We also enjoyed gazing upon a matte finish rather than a glossy surface and we're told Dell has actually made some tweaks there to reduce any grainy results that may creep in. There's no word on pricing just yet, but the display is set to arrive during the fourth quarter of this year. A smattering of images from our brief eyes-on session await in the gallery.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:42 am

Hammer_Time wrote:I talked to a guy on the street once, he told me he walked into a Walmart years ago and they had a 50" LCD tv on sale and on display near the stores entrance, so he simply put it on a shopping cart and walked right out into the parking lot with it ( stole it ) and nobody stopped him... I guess the RFID sensors were not working at the store's entrance that day or similar... he even showed me a picture of it he took with his cellphone afterwards in the parking lot, so proud of his achievement!! lmao... Don't try that today, you will get nailed for sure.. I was amazed he got away with it though, unbelievable... :shock:

I'm amazed it entered his mind to do so.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 am

Criminal mind ( obviously ) ... While I am against stealing in general, I was a bit impressed with his boldness and the fact he actually got away with it!! :shock: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:00 pm

It would just not occur to me to do that.
I also cannot be impressed by someone who does: they are part of the reason why I must pay what I must for my hardware: without thieves, that would be less.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Actually it more directly affects what your insurance premiums are . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 am

Those too.. :(
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Breaking Technology News