Best Apple device Theft Tracking app...

In this forum you are welcome to discuss the networking equipment and technologies from office network to home LAN, as well as network administration and security issues.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Best Apple device Theft Tracking app...

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 am

As you all know, I do not own any Apple products ( but know many who do ), but reading stories like this on FB just now breaks my heart:

I am not even going to begin on the stealing part of things this past weekend... I was playing a gig , packed up all my gear, ran sound for 2 other major gigs on Sunday, this morning I decided to take my I Pad out and update it, get ready for Germany, It was gone I always pack my I Pad up in my lap top case, but there was so much going on when I gathered everything up, I would just assume that I put it away...Someone lifted it right off the Piano... And I don't use paper lyrics anymore, they are all digital.. $800 gone, and I leave in a week.. Over a years worth of work, music and time gone in a heartbeat.. Some dick will likely sell it for $100 for a habit.. Ipad 3 with a blue magnetic case... Sigh... Almost lost my bicycle last week, left it alone for less then 2 minutes, but I caught the little jerk with his hands on it...

It is not just the loss of the device itself ( cost to replace ), it is the years worth of work/music and other personal data that is lost that is irreplaceable in some cases... yes one must always back up any critical data to another computer, but still, how many of us bother to take the time to actually do that on a regular basis?

Another option is to install some sort of tracking app on your Apple device so that if your device is lost or stolen, you have some way to find it.

This app is only $3 and rated as one of the best apps available for tracking Apple mobile devices:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fonehom ... 50421?mt=8

$3 will buy you a lot of peace of mind, especially if your Apple device is ever lost or stolen...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Best Apple device Theft Tracking app...

Postby Celt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:43 am

There is an app built in to iOS for that also, but it can be easily circumvented by turning the device off completel;y (can be donewithout an unlock) - if the device isn;t running then the tracker doesn;t work. Same for BB Protect too (though you actually have to pull the battery in a BB if it is locked), and I'm sure there is an Android version
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:57 pm

And what if the stolen machine gets a 'reset to factory default'? App gone..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:51 am

Hopefully the thief is too dumb to notice the app or "wipe the phone" right away, and as soon as you text the device, then the app ( running silently in the background ) will take his pic automatically and upload it automatically ( along with the phone's current GPS location ) to the FoneHome website where the owner of the device can retrieve it and send to authorities. It is not "foolproof" of course, but it is "better than nothing" and only costs $3 ... that is cheap to retrieve irreplaceable data such as dude's years worth of music/lyrics/compositions that he recently lost as an example here...

Customer Reviews

Still the best

by wncapt2007

Updated: Still the best overall essential app because u can send a text to ur thief and snap a photo when they read it which is auto-uploaded along with their location; and they can't stop that. How cool is that! make sure u have a password for your device and u can turn on 'no deleting apps' in settings. Location history is very useful, the last 100 position reports, I wish that could extend further like to the 1000s (google latitude can but without all the other features).

The VoIP feature works for me in Internet explorer (xpSP3) but not in Firefox because the flash settings dialog box is blank when it pops up on call initiation even with flashblock and all blockers disabled. So just try other browsers until it works. Like skype. Useful if thief takes out SIM card!

Set check in to 10 mins and gps report to 2 hours. Uses very little battery and enables fast photo capture of thief. U can see where it's at instantly with other apps but a quick response for photo taking will prove invaluable.

This related news is also interesting:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201307 ... tion.shtml

Even Powering Down A Cell Phone Can't Keep The NSA From Tracking Its Location

:P
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:37 am

What about removing the battery? I know, not possible on all models, but what if it could, that should stop tracking for a while.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:03 am

Yes, of course that will defeat it...

However, most thieves are not "that smart", and they will want to use the device they have stolen...so unless they do a "factory reset" ( wipe the phone and reload its OS ) chances are very good that an app like FoneHome will work as intended and allow the true owner of the device to recover it ( through photo of thief and GPS location ). Of course it is not "Foolproof" but it is much better than no protection, and only costs 3 bucks...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 am

Have you ever tried removing a battery in an iPhone? It takes at least 20 min, special tools, a lot of patience and a little luck not to destroy the whole thing. People think Apple products are well designed. They are not. If they were, it wouldn't be that hard.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:10 am

Yep, hard to remove by design...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Yes, of course that will defeat it...

However, most thieves are not "that smart", and they will want to use the device they have stolen...so unless they do a "factory reset" ( wipe the phone and reload its OS ) chances are very good that an app like FoneHome will work as intended and allow the true owner of the device to recover it ( through photo of thief and GPS location ). Of course it is not "Foolproof" but it is much better than no protection, and only costs 3 bucks...

Most, if not all, thieves are not smart by default. If they were, they would not be thieves.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:14 pm

Fuzz wrote:Have you ever tried removing a battery in an iPhone? It takes at least 20 min, special tools, a lot of patience and a little luck not to destroy the whole thing. People think Apple products are well designed. They are not. If they were, it wouldn't be that hard.

Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:Yes, of course that will defeat it...

Most, if not all, thieves are not smart by default. If they were, they would not be thieves.

Bad logic. And proven wrong by reality. And even then, the thiefs we mostly know about are the ones that get caught.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 pm

They all get caught. And reality is not limited by that we can see or touch.
Bite me.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Sort of agree with Dire here - the "smartest" thieves generally don't get caught , but they are the minority.. the majority of thieves are "dumb" and do get caught of course...

Sauron_Daz wrote:They all get caught. And reality is not limited by that we can see or touch.
Bite me.

I would but you said that Orc Flesh is not that tasty...so neither can yours be... :wink: :twisted: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Networking & Security