Reboot loop

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Reboot loop

Postby Phosphorus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:34 am

So, my old computer has this problem for some time now.

First it started by restarting once in a while, then it would only take minutes, then seconds, then added beeps.

For some time I couldn't get to windows and I took the PC apart and then mounted part by part to see what was the problem. Ended up removing 2 ram cards and it worked for some days.

Same started again and I formated the HDD several times and bought a new PSU (it didn't help). Tried several things and then it worked again for some days until the old PSU burned.

Now, 2 days ago I tried mounting it again and it was working until today. Same thing reboots and reboots.

The above story is happening for almost a year, I makes me want to break it all into pieces

PC (35C system temperature):

No overclock ATM
Had Win7 now it has Win XP
Duo Core E4500 - 78C
Foxconn P43A
DDR2 2GB
GeForce 8800GTS
Urano II 630 W

Voltages:
Vcore: 1.328v
Memory: 1.760v
Vcc: 3.34v
MCH: 1.008v
Phosphorus

Re: Reboot loop

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 am

I suspect the motherboard is failing, it is an older Foxconn model ( cheap brand ) , can you notice any leaking/bulging capacitors on it?

Seems like you have replaced the power supply so that is not the problem, doubt it is the cpu that is failing ( did you overclock it? ), and you have swapped ram sticks, and formatted and reloaded Windows numerous times. That leaves the most likely culprit your motherboard ( could be something else ( bad hdd, bad video card, bad ram ) but most likely it is your old mobo failing here ).

http://www.bit-tech.net/custompc/labs/6 ... -p43a.html

Verdict: One of the better P43 motherboards, but it's no champion.

Foxconn is the one of the largest component manufacturers in the world, but while its Quantum Force range of enthusiast motherboards are some of the best available, its standard range of motherboards often leaves something to be desired.

The unimaginatively (but at least clearly) named P43A is based on the Intel P43 chipset. Theoretically, this means that it shouldn't support 400MHz FSB CPUs, but like all the P43 motherboards in this Labs test, Foxconn has modified the BIOS so that it does. The P43 chipset is slightly cheaper than the P45 chipset, making the Foxconn P43A the cheapest LGA775 motherboard in this Labs test.

It's easy to see how Foxconn has managed to make this motherboard for such a low price. For starters, there's no RAID controller, which isn't a big deal at this end of the market, while the Northbridge, Southbridge and VRMs are cooled by very basic aluminium heatsinks. However, the P43A provides six S-ATA II ports and up to 12 USB 2 ports. Although the P43A has two 16x PCI-E 2.0 slots, the second slot has only four lanes, which isn't fast enough for a second graphics card in CrossFire. The three PCI slots will be considerably more useful, leaving plenty of space for a sound card, WiFi and TV tuner, or other combination of expansion cards.

The P43A proved to be the slowest motherboard in this Labs test. The BIOS isn't very intuitive to use, as you can only increase the vcore, Northbridge and RAM voltages in increments of a fixed value, which are determined by the BIOS, and not the absolute voltage. As there are no other voltage options available and the BIOS doesn't auto-recover from a bad overclock, therefore necessitating a CMOS clear, we could only increase the FSB to 415MHz without running into stability problems. This is the same overclock as that of the Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3LR, which has a much more user-friendly BIOS.

Although the Foxconn P43A isn't a bad motherboard, the Intel P43 chipset leaves a lot to be desired. Unlike its forebear, the P31 chipset, which was eminently overclockable (to 470MHz or more), the P43 isn't a good overclocker. Given that you can pick up a far more capable P45-based motherboard for just £18 more, buying a Foxconn P43A is a false economy.

The audio beep codes can sometimes indicate what is failing...what is the pattern of the beeps? one long beep? two short beeps then 1 long beep ( repeated ) ?

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php? ... 248.0.html

Your new system should arrive within a week ( your other thread ) so soon you won't have to worry about this one rebooting on you! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:49 am

I don't notice any leak but some capacitors were slightly tilted.

HDD I doubt it, the reboot happens without HDD and GPU.

Yeah the MB is very crappy :D i tried overclocking once but then I removed it because it wasn't working that well.

Also I have cleared the CMOS serveral times.

I had several types of beeps, from constant, slow and intermitent to fast ones but that don't continue. ATM, it is not beeping.

Also updated the main post with some voltages and temperatures - can't see more that those in BIOS and in CPUID.

My new system will be the main but I could use this one for running AFK EVE Online accounts :D
Phosphorus

Postby Phosphorus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 am

WTF? on the MB software it says that the CPU is at 178C (but only 78C on BIOS and 39C on Rightmark CPU Clock utility) -_- lol
Phosphorus

Postby Fuzz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am

Did you run a memtest? Have you checked the Windows event viewer?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Phosphorus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am

In Windows event viewer i have some disk warning - "the system failed to flush date to the transaction log. corruption may occur". and I haven't done a memtest.

I undervolted the CPU now.
Phosphorus

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 am

That corruption may cause the problems.
Can you replace the drive?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

When I receive the new PC i can.
Phosphorus

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Phosphorus wrote:WTF? on the MB software it says that the CPU is at 178C (but only 78C on BIOS and 39C on Rightmark CPU Clock utility) -_- lol

:lol: incorrect sensor reading by MB sw obviously...

39C sounds about right for a Core 2 Duo... ignore the MB sw utility readings...

78C is a little too hot for a C2D cpu, my old E7200 would start to throw errors above 70C so I bought a better cooler for it that kept it under 50C under full load whilst overclocked to 4.0 Ghz 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Duo Core E4500 - 78C

Well, there´s ONE problem at least. Intel lists its thermal spec limit as 73.3C.
And people running the chip OC(and OV) generally gets temps still not above 65C.

For testing, you can try underclocking and undervolting the cpu until it never goes above 60C, if it runs fine at that point... OTOH, if it´s gone too hot too often, the cpu may have become damaged beyond what can be fixed already.

Memory: 1.760v

What RAM are you using? Many faster DDR2 requires voltages from 1.9 up to as much as 2.3V(though this high should only be run if you KNOW the RAM modules can handle it).

I had several types of beeps, from constant, slow and intermitent

That may be overheat warning.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Phosphorus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 am

I undervolted the CPU and it's at his base clock values. The temp that shows on the bios is still the same but in the other software (not the Mb one) it's at 39C. Also I changed the cooler's fan to 90% of the max speed, 2400 RPM.

The RAM is one Kingston 2gb 1.8v 800Mhz.

And as I already said, I have no beep at the moment.

BTW, DIREWOLF, any anime suggestions? :D I like stuff like ergo proxy, monster, death note, texhnolize, ghost in the shell, gundam wing etc. (should I PM about this?)
Phosphorus

Postby Fuzz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 am

I'd still suggest a memory test. Easy to run, and if you have voltage problems, it may show up there as well. Usually the test will kick errors in the first 30 seconds for systematic problems. Specific part of the memory damage will obviously have to run the whole test to find those.

memtest86 is the one I recommend.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Phosphorus wrote:I undervolted the CPU and it's at his base clock values. The temp that shows on the bios is still the same but in the other software (not the Mb one) it's at 39C. Also I changed the cooler's fan to 90% of the max speed, 2400 RPM.

The RAM is one Kingston 2gb 1.8v 800Mhz.

And as I already said, I have no beep at the moment.

Ok, well then adjust the RAM voltage to 1.8 and then see if it will run ok for a while.

Phosphorus wrote:BTW, DIREWOLF, any anime suggestions? :D I like stuff like ergo proxy, monster, death note, texhnolize, ghost in the shell, gundam wing etc. (should I PM about this?)

:mrgreen:

No worries. For the future though, there´s this thread that is probably better suited in the long run:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17782&start=0

First of all, click my signature pic and you end up on my anime rating list.

Hmm, action and mecha is the most common theme of those that i can think of right now... Well, if you haven´t seen Black Lagoon, that's a good start then.
Blood+, Noir, Daphne in the brilliant blue, Madlax, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai 7 might be suitable.
My-Hime, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, Elfen Lied, Stratos-4, Durarara are further from those you listed but you might like them.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Celt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Phosphorus wrote:BTW, DIREWOLF, any anime suggestions? :D I like stuff like ergo proxy, monster, death note, texhnolize, ghost in the shell, gundam wing etc. (should I PM about this?)

For the benefit of our new member, check out the Lounge; specifically this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17782
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

When it comes to Anime, Dire does know his stuff!! :scout:

As others have mentioned, please check out the ongoing Anime thread , am sure you will come across some "diamonds" there so to speak! :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 pm

I did a memtest, twice and at the 3rd reboot :D. No errors.

Does it even make sense that the HDD can be the problem if the reboot sometimes happens before it boots? Normally, the PC wrks until it reboots one time, then it reboots before arriving at the windows, other times reboots after being in windows a few minutes, +/- from 1-30.

If I let it be off for some time it works better later (most of the time but not always), that could mean that it is some kind of overheat.
Phosphorus

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Fuzz wrote:memtest86 is the one I recommend.

There is another?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Maybe a BIOS update is available for your mobo.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Phosphorus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:Maybe a BIOS update is available for your mobo.

I updated it with the only one I found :\
Phosphorus

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:27 am

Phosphorus wrote:I did a memtest, twice and at the 3rd reboot :D. No errors.

Does it even make sense that the HDD can be the problem if the reboot sometimes happens before it boots? Normally, the PC wrks until it reboots one time, then it reboots before arriving at the windows, other times reboots after being in windows a few minutes, +/- from 1-30.

If I let it be off for some time it works better later (most of the time but not always), that could mean that it is some kind of overheat.

A failing hard drive "can" cause these sorts of issues, but am betting motherboard here ( since you already replaced power supply ).

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Technical Support