HELP! windows 7 very slow!

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

HELP! windows 7 very slow!

Postby m!ke » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:58 am

Howdy,

My work computer is getting ridiculously slow and I'm at a loss as to why/ how to fix it, so maybe someone could give me some insight?

The computer:

Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (on a SBS 2011 domain)
Intel i7 2.8Ghz quad core (idle CPU usage is showing at ~5%)
4Gb Ram (only 1.6Gb used when only got ie10 and background programs open)
TaskManager shows network utilisation at 0%
HDD is 189Gb/288Gb and has 0% fragmentation

I've done a CHKDSK and that shows no problems
I've done a BIOS memory check and that also shows no problems
I've done a full AV scan (both within the O/S and upon Bootup) and they show nothing unusual
I've used CCleaner to remove unused registry entries, temp files etc etc and have removed anything unnecessary from both installed programs and startup.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
m!ke
m!ke

Re: HELP! windows 7 very slow!

Postby m!ke » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 pm

sorry, posted it in the wrong forum... could someone move it to technical support please?
m!ke

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Check your event viewer, see if you are getting disk errors, or any other problems. Does the resource manager show in any more detail what might be happening?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:47 pm

m!ke wrote:sorry, posted it in the wrong forum... could someone move it to technical support please?

Moved.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Maybe some malware running in the background?

What is a SBS 2011 domain?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Small Business Server
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 pm

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... ow-network

We are experiencing seriously slow network performance with SBS 2011 SP1.

10 client PC's, 3 XP Clients and 7 Vista Business. Accessing files on data shares is dreadful. We run a accounts programs on the clients which access the data on the server. This is also terrible.

This worked fine before on the SBS 2003 Server.

If we move the data onto the NAS box, accessing the files is lightning fast. We experience no issues at all

__

We have completely removed the Anti Virus programs from the server and client PC's.

Both PC and Server are completely up to date.

We have tried new switches, routers, cables

Turned off SMB 2.0

New network card drivers

Specs - HP ML350 - Dual Xeon Processors - 16GB RAM ect . . . Hardly a slouch.

Nothing seems to work unfortunately and we are completely stumped.

Any ideas?

the TDI.sys hotfix is included in SP1 (windows 2008 R2) so if you have SP1 installed it will tell you it's not valid for your system.  However you MUST apply it before you install anything that uses that TDI driver for it to work properly

My company has put in a load of SBS 2011 boxes and we have speed issues with every single one.  BPA shows nothing, perfmon shows nothing but all the clients report that "it's much slower than it used to be".

Brand new HP servers (mainly 350 G6s but some DL380s).  Latest firmware/drivers is applied to each one before build.  SP1 applied before installing any AV.

Have had a lot of freezes as well.  Turning off the block level backup service stopped that (as SBS 2011 was taking a backup every hour on the hour for ten minutes for reasons unknown).

Had same issue , check that TCP/IP v6 is checked in [network] adapter properties.  SBS 2011 Standard crawled until I checked box and disabled then re-enabled [ipv6]. Worth a try, easy fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2493361

There are various other hotfixes/patches/advice listed in that thread, see if any of them help speed up your W7 SBS 2011 client(s), best of luck!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Oh ya, if it is just slow file access from client machines, disable SMB2. I've had to do that on my network.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:18 pm

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... w-sbs-2011

Advice is to manually restrict how much ram that Exchange and SQLSERVER.EXE can use. Dunno if that applies to your situation or not, just thought I would throw it out there...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1669389

worked out the problem!! was this stupid software on the workstations:

CyberLink Media Library Service from Cyberlink. Clmlsvc.exe

Once i removed this, rebooted the machines all good now. DFS service running again, this was somehow generating massive amounts of network traffic which was being picked up by LSASS somehow.

You don't happen to have Cyberlink Media Library Service from Cyberlink running by any chance do you??

Better run Windows Autoruns to see exactly what services and processes are running on your machine ( if you have not done so already ) :

http://www.filehippo.com/download_autoruns/

Also, curious what a/v program you are using...

Found again advice to "recheck" the box for ipv6 to resolve slowness issues in SBS 2011 :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/ ... start.aspx

Resolution

To resolve this issue all you have to do is re-check IPv6 in the properties of your NIC and reboot.

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Though I'd give consideration to adding RAM . . . It may say it is using 1.6GB, but actually Windows is shuffling stuff around and takes about twice as much to do it well . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 pm

That might help, I have a feeling it is due to something in the SBS 2011 networking/shares inner workings that is not "happy" , with any luck some of our advice might bring the speed up for M!ke, let's wait and see his reply once he has had a day to try some of these tips out...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:20 am

Fuzz wrote:Small Business Server

Tnx.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:21 am

Celt wrote:Though I'd give consideration to adding RAM . . . It may say it is using 1.6GB, but actually Windows is shuffling stuff around and takes about twice as much to do it well . . .

Windows lies? No.....
:wink:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Technical Support