Overclocking 4770k

Join our hot discussion of overclocking, tweaking, cooling and modding of CPUs, graphics cards,mainboards,cases,fans. Squeeze all juices out of your hardware with X-bit's community!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Overclocking 4770k

Postby gracie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi hi everyone

I recently updated my PC. I went with Asus Z87 Sabretooth and the 4770k, I have been reading and researching about how to use adaptive
setting in the bios. There isnt much been said about it yet. I have it set on manual 1.26v 4.4ghz uncore 43. I ran AIDA 64 as per Intel says it is
best to use now. IBT ( Intel Burn Test and Prime 95 generate alot of heat), AIDA 64 stress's all parts of the CPU. I have it stable under manual
but when I go off to adaptive.. It becomes unstable. I am not totally sure how adaptive works and how to set it correctly. If anyone knows
anything.. any advice would be great. thank you
Asus Z87 Sabretooth
Intel 4770k 4.4ghz 1.21v
Seasonic X-650
GSkill 16gb Pc2133mhz
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr
Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD
gracie

Re: Overclocking 4770k

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi Gracie,

Wow, you sure like to keep up to date with your pc! :D What happened to your old cpu and mobo? Hope it went to a good "home" :wink:

4.4 Ghz seems to be the "wall" for your cpu on air cooling, so that is a good result you have achieved so far on this board:

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard ... ll/?page=8

Overclocking on the Z87 and LGA1150 CPU platform is now more dependent upon the quality of the CPU than ever before. It's possible to have a particular chip run much higher on a cheap board and another, less-overclockable processor not go so high on an expensive board packed with extra phases and voltage regulation.

We use the same CPU for the two Z87 boards and, just like the Gigabyte, the maximum stable speed on the Asus was 4.375GHz (35*125MHz) with 1.25V. We'll be retesting with another Core i7-4770K next week and will update editorial accordingly.

You have probably already read that review above...

Haswell throws a lot more heat than Sandy/Ivy Bridge as you have noticed too most likely:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/as ... iew,9.html

We ended up with a multiplier of 47 and 1.375 Volts with a high-end dual-fan, dual-radiator Noctua D14 cooler. Even then temps are massive and completely fail to cope with the heat. As a result the temperature is so high that the processor will down-clock to achieve a safer temperature. The safety features do kick in and it remains a nice overclock of course.

They pushed their 4770K to 4.7 Ghz using quite a lot of cpu voltage, but the cpu would downclock itself to cool off to a safer temp... so again, we are back to the 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz range max SAFE overclock on this cpu ( using "safe" cpu voltage and good air cooling ).

Regarding "Adaptive" mode on your motherboard, the only mention I could find for "Adaptive mode" in your mobo bios options was for "CPU Graphics Voltage" from your mobo manual here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA ... th_Z87.pdf

Are you referring to something else other than "CPU Graphics Voltage" when you mention "Adaptive Mode"? - as I don't see "Adaptive Mode" listed anywhere else in the bios options for your board in that pdf above...

Since you are not using the cpu's builtin gpu obviously ( you have GTX 660 Ti card ), then I would not worry at all about forcing the gpu voltage to "Adaptive mode" since it makes your system unstable, just leave it on "Auto" mode.

That is a very nice motherboard you bought, should last many years, enjoy!!

What game(s) do you like to play if you don't mind me asking, just curious here...

Cheers...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 pm

I've always found that human intelligence beats artificial intelligence every time when it comes to overclocking. Keep it simple, and stick to the manual stuff. I managed to get my i5 "K" processor stable at 5Ghz that way. I use a Corsair Hydro cooler which, apart from some dodgy fan mounting techniques due to my case, has been excellent cutting my CPU temps in half!
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby TAViX » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:03 am

Gracie, don't mind asking, but why do you need your CPU to 4.4Ghz??
I have a 3770K, a similar Asus mobo, I put everything on Auto, except the ration which I put at 42 instead of 39 default. Voltage on Auto also. Now, everytime I am gaming, the CPU goes to 4.2Ghz, also the voltage goes a little up. I tried manual occ up to 4.6Ghz, but found absolutely NO PERFORMANCE INCREASE in games after 4.2Ghz. To be honest, even at default 3.9Ghz, the difference is 1 max 2 fps at tops...
Regards.
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:12 am

Its just the knowledge of having the CPU running faster then stock speeds..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby gracie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 am

There is a new option on the Asus Boards now that allow for adaptive voltage. It will auto scale down the volts when idle. I sent my old board. CPU memory I had off to
a friend of mine. He is really going to like it alot.

Tavix, my older SB was 4.5ghz and I wanted to try to keep it close to that same speed. It is one of those things, I guess lol.

Hammer, There is a new setting on the CPU Volts.. There is Offset and now Adaptive. I was hopeing that someone may know how to set it properly so I can run my CPU at
a lower volt when sitting idle.

Sauron and You are correct lol.. I do enjoy trying to get it to run at a good clock speed. I know my CPU can do 4.4 . I have good cooling.
Asus Z87 Sabretooth
Intel 4770k 4.4ghz 1.21v
Seasonic X-650
GSkill 16gb Pc2133mhz
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr
Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Gracie,

I am sure that your friend will greatly enjoy your old SandyBridge K cpu and ram! 8)

Hammer, There is a new setting on the CPU Volts.. There is Offset and now Adaptive. I was hopeing that someone may know how to set it properly so I can run my CPU at
a lower volt when sitting idle.

I cannot see the option for [Adaptive] for pure cpu voltage in your motherboard's manual:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA ... th_Z87.pdf

I only see [Adaptive] option listed under "CPU Graphics Voltage" : [Auto][Manual Mode][Offset Mode][Adaptive Mode]

This only matters if you are using the builtin gpu ( Intel graphics ) which you are not...so the voltage sent to the Graphics portion of the cpu should not be of any concern since you are using a discrete video card.

The "CPU Core Voltage" only offers the following options : [Auto][Manual Mode][Offset Mode] , there is no option listed there for any "Adaptive mode" under that parameter.

Perhaps you have a newer BIOS revision that does offer it, ( making this manual outdated of course ), please clarify or provide a screenshot so I can see exactly what you are talking about here, thanks...

More important than any "adaptive" cpu voltage for saving power and allowing your cpu downclock to lower power/frequency when idling or under light load are the following bios options under the "CPU Power Management" section:

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: [Enabled] ( self-explanatory )

CPU Internal Power Savings Control:

Power Saving Level 1 Threshold : [Auto]

There are 3 Thresholds listed there, you can play around with the values ( amperage values ) to get the best balance between power savings and maximum cpu overclock potential. Lower values = better overclocking potential, Higher values = Better Power Savings. If you are unsure then just leave them on [Auto] settings.

The other thing you can do to save power is to enable the "EPU Power Saving Mode" , although I have found in the past on my old Asus P5Q-E ( Intel P45 chipset ) that it would make my max cpu overclock unstable, so I disabled that feature in the bios but left Intel Speedstep Enabled so the cpu would clock down and drop voltage under idle/light load conditions. Rock solid stable E7200 dual core at 4.0 Ghz, ran that way for years...So you can try to enable Asus "EPU Power Saving Mode" but be warned it might make your overclock unstable...

http://event.asus.com/epu/

You have already gotten the nominal max overclock out of your cpu ( 4.4 Ghz for the 4770K ), if you want more than that you will have to up the cpu voltage or go to liquid cooling etc. Remember Haswell varies more in max overclockability than Sandy/Ivy Bridge K cpu's, depends on the "luck of the draw" as to how much your particular Haswell cpu will overclock. I don't think there is "much left" in your Haswell to go above 4.4 Ghz ( if so it will come at a power cost, more cpu voltage required ). I would recommend you leave your cpu at 4.4 Ghz and 1.26 cpu volts ( "safe" voltage to the cpu so you don't fry it over time ).

The only question now is how much power savings you can get when your cpu is in idle or low-load conditions.You can play around with the options mentioned above to achieve that...

Best of luck and let us know how your tweaking goes! Cheers! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby gracie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Hammer, it doesnt say anything about adaptive for CPU Volts.. but in the BIOS there is an option to set it

I was stumped as to how to set it up on the Z87 chipset.. I figured it out finally.. They just dont come out directly and say as much. You can set CPU to manual, offset and
adaptive. Once you have your stable O/C, you can go back and set to adaptive.. Finding out what is the stable OC Voltage and then set up your Additional Turbo Mode CPU core voltage" to set adaptive voltage. I wasnt catching it first . then boom LOL. I caught it, so today. I got it set and now it is good.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph ... y=&status=

The Above URL explains more detail on the ASUS ROG Boards, basically tho. it is really the same across all MB makes.
Asus Z87 Sabretooth
Intel 4770k 4.4ghz 1.21v
Seasonic X-650
GSkill 16gb Pc2133mhz
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr
Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:19 pm

I see, so the online motherboard manual is incorrect then, they forgot to include the [Adaptive] option for "Cpu Core Voltage" in it...that was what was confusing me, thanks for the info... good to know...

Glad you have it all working now to your satisfaction in Adaptive Mode.

Thanks for the link to the overclocking guide on your mobo, somebody put a lot of time and effort into that!! Very nicely done...btw, Happy Gaming! :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Strange that the online motherboard manual is incorrect..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 pm

gracie wrote:Sauron and You are correct lol.. I do enjoy trying to get it to run at a good clock speed. I know my CPU can do 4.4 . I have good cooling.

And once we know it can run 4.4 GHz, it must run 4.4 GHz. I know I'm not content at any lower speed..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby gracie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:59 am

I agree there Sauron, Even my MB Manual is not right. Doesnt show any adaptive voltage setting in it either. ASUS did a boo boo LOL, I am working on seeing if I can lower
the CPU volts some. I dropped the uncore which is the turbo cache speed. Some I have been reading have really dropped it lower to get some lower volts. Haswell does
really generate alot of heat.

Edit: I was adjusting my Cpu V , I tried 1.2v and ran AIDA 64.. it passed but then I ran another stress test and within a couple mins. I got a BSOD Error 124 which I read is too low of Volts. so went back and adjusted it to 1.21v, down from where I had it before, now it is good there.. I am happy with it at 1.21v
Asus Z87 Sabretooth
Intel 4770k 4.4ghz 1.21v
Seasonic X-650
GSkill 16gb Pc2133mhz
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr
Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:24 am

Indeed! :

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... well-heat/

BTW, I hope your tower does not look like this:

Just teasing of course... :mrgreen:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby gracie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 am

hehe Hammer.. that is a cute case, maybe I should get one like that :lol: The case I have a Corsair Case 600T and I love the case.
It has great air flow and with 2 nice 200mm fans. front and top.. then 2-120mm on side and rear.
Asus Z87 Sabretooth
Intel 4770k 4.4ghz 1.21v
Seasonic X-650
GSkill 16gb Pc2133mhz
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr
Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:32 pm

It is a cute case ( referring to the pink fur mod case above here ), but not so great for airflow obviously with all the fur... :lol: Plus you would have to vacuum any dust off the fur from time to time... still, it certainly does have a "feminine touch" to it... :D

I was thinking doing that to my case except using red fur instead of pink, so the end result would look something like this:

That monster is called "Gossamer" from Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes :mrgreen:

I just googled your case model ( with the word "mod" ) and found this awesome StormTrooper mod for your case:

Custom side panel:

Well the list of mods is endless of course, but those two are well-done imho...

BTW, randomly came across this cute mini-ITX form factor "Train" mod:

8) :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:22 pm

A facepalm is possibly in order here . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby gracie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Those are great looking cases Hammer. that would be great for you to have the pretty pink fur Case.. Just think how lovely that would
look .. :lol:

Red would be good but pink is still the best!

I liked Star Wars but idk if I would like the 600t case that looked like that., The Train Mini Itx would be great. That is a great mod for a Case.

Hammer maybe we could get something like the Pink Fur Case for Celt.. He may like it :mrgreen:
Asus Z87 Sabretooth
Intel 4770k 4.4ghz 1.21v
Seasonic X-650
GSkill 16gb Pc2133mhz
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr
Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Heh heh!! Agreed!!

You know what, I like the way you think...perhaps it is time to demote Celt and have you replace him as mod here! :wink: :twisted: :lol: :incoming: Just kidding of course, but after reading his "face palm" comment the thought did cross what's left of my mind... :mrgreen: :whistle:

Back on topic, well the derailed topic of cases here, yes, I could see Celt rocking that pink fur case ... along with matching pink "Hello Kitty" keyboard and mouse!!

That is probably still too "masculine" for his tastes though...hmmm... I know Celt prefers function over form though, and like me, is a huge fan of beer, so I think he would much rather a case mod like this:

I am more old-skuul in my taste in mods, something like this would be a dream case for me:

However, my laziness kicked in when I realized how much work is involved in a case like that so it is a "pipe dream" for now... one day I might decide such a labour of love is worth it and dive in...luckily that day has not happened yet!! :scout: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:22 pm

*lol*

Noone derails threads like you HT... :mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby gracie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Hammer,
I love the Hello Kitty pieces. those are great.. Celt would love them! They would add to the pretty pink fluffy case.. All very manly I think! :lol:

Ehh the other cases.. they are only so so. Not as great as the Pink Fluffy Case!
Asus Z87 Sabretooth
Intel 4770k 4.4ghz 1.21v
Seasonic X-650
GSkill 16gb Pc2133mhz
MSI 660Ti Twin Frozr
Samsung 840Pro 256gb SSD
gracie

Next

Return to Overclocker's and Modding Club