MAXIMUS VI GENE audio vs Xonar DX

All about CPU, mainboards, and memory.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

MAXIMUS VI GENE audio vs Xonar DX

Postby MaKiNoTe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi all

I'm about to buy a new computer and I want to know your opinion on the audio of the MAXIMUS VI GENE and how it compares to a Xonar DX.

I always had a discrete sound board and I don't want to hear scratching sounds when my hard disks are working.

Thanks all
MaKiNoTe

Re: MAXIMUS VI GENE audio vs Xonar DX

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Welcome to the forums!

That motherboard is fairly new so nobody has really tested the onboard audio on it "in-depth" just yet, but the specs for the audio look impressive:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7023/asus ... and-impact

The Formula also improves upon audio, with an upgrade to SupremeFX – we have the Realtek ALC1150 audio codec for the rear with a front-panel CirrusLogic DAC for 120 dBA SNR, all with improved EM shielding, filter caps and headphone amplifiers for 600 ohm headphones. 

Looks very good ( on paper at least! ). I am rocking a cheap Asus Xonar DG card ( $35 price range ) here, as the DX was sold out when I went to buy it ( was using older onboard Realtek before , it was okay, but this card is definitely "cleaner" , slightly louder with no distortion when cranking up my headphones now ( Sennheiser HD 555 open air ). The Realtek could not handle high volume properly with my headphones, but the headphone amplifier builtin to the DG card works quite well and I am satisfied with the card considering its low price. Sure the DX is better, but it also costs more than twice as much...

Prior to this new generation of mobo's that actually have "Audiophile quality" ( or close to it! :wink: ) built in to the onboard audio solutions, I would have not hesitated to recommend you go with a discrete Asus Xonar DX ( or other high end sound card ), but it appears the mobo manufacturer's have finally started to bring the audio quality up to similar levels with their onboard audio now judging by the features listed above.

If you buy this mobo, try out the onboard audio first, if you are not satisfied with the sound for any reason ( which I doubt will be the case ), you can always add in a discrete sound card later on of course...cheers!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 pm

The fact that they have put additional EM shielding should help . . . Should! ;-)
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:16 am

Looks good.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Oops, I accidentally linked to the Asus Maximus VI "Formula" board ( full ATX ), not the Asus Maximus VI "GENE" board ( Micro-ATX ) that the OP mentioned, however they appear to have the same audio solution:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_GENE/

SupremeFX

Differential signal design achieves 115dB SNR discrete-caliber audio

ROG has upped the game audio ante with an advanced differential circuit design. It includes an Op-Amp that combines two opposite-phased signals while filtering out noise interference during transmission, providing clear audio stream output with double the intensity. Moreover, SupremeFX on Maximus VI GENE also implements multi-approach shielding, with ELNA audio capacitors helping offer 8-channel HD sound that's equal in power, clarity, and range to dedicated sound cards. This is the first-ever onboard sound capable of true audiophile-grade performance, set to revolutionize the way you hear games, movies, music, and even other people via chat. Discover a whole new dimension of superior audio and get ready to rule. Click the button to learn more about SupremeFX!

You can see the same shielded "Supreme FX" EMI shield cover in the lower left-hand corner of the board:

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsec ... temid=1012

ROG SupremeFX Audio 8-Channel High Definition Audio

SupremeFX Shielding Technology
ELNA Premium Audio Capacitors
Front DAC playback Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, Differential output): 115dB
ADC recording Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 104dB
Content Protection for Full Rate lossless DVD Audio, Blu-ray DVD, and HD-DVD audio content playback
Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Optical S/PDIF out port at back panel
Sonic Radar
DTS Connect

Looks identical to the SupremeFX solution on the full sized "Formula" ( ATX form factor ) board. :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:You can see the same shielded "Supreme FX" EMI shield cover in the lower left-hand corner of the board:

Not the same: its black here, silver on the other board. :mrgreen:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 am

That will deffo affect the sound "quality" for sure then... :roll: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:16 am

If they used a black paint with EM shielding properties....
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Platform