OCZ Vertex 2 256GB SSD issue

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

OCZ Vertex 2 256GB SSD issue

Postby Stupify » Tue May 14, 2013 7:14 pm

hey guys,

It seems like the OCZ vertex 2 256GB SSD may have died or something. Regardless of how I connect it to the computer, it won't let the computer to get past the BIOS initialization - just blocks. I was using the computer around 6:30pm for few minutes and then I had to go for dinner so I put it to sleep as usual. When I came back up around 8:30pm and tried to turn it on, it wouldn't come up - blank screen. I waited for few and then hard powered off. Since then the computer won't boot up past the BIOS initialization screen as long as the drive is connected.

This drive contains my work files and so I need to recover them ASAP! I have a backup of these files but they are more than couple days older and am missing the new files that I have generated recently that were only on the SSD.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Re: OCZ Vertex 2 256GB SSD issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Ouch, the obvious thing to do here is to remove the SSD and hook it up to a different computer...if that computer also refuses to boot with the SSD attached then I think you are out of luck, drive is screwed... but definitely try this first...good luck! Is your SSD still under warranty? Should be...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Can't you hook it up as a slave drive so the PC won't need to boot from it? Maybe you can get your data off it that way..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 am

Rip a copy of Knoppix (Linux on CD - well DVD now) and boot from that . . . then you can see if Knoppix will mount the SSD and read the data
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Stupify » Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 am

tried both this and another computer with a usb to sata - no luck - won't even detect anything. i see a green and a red light on the drive. the usb enclosure shows red light (busy) the whole time too.

i read on net that i should leave it off for couple of hours and try again - almost 8+ hours and still no luck.

will continue trying and checking the net.
Stupify

Postby Stupify » Wed May 15, 2013 2:55 am

also will be in the market looking for a ssd drive. i have a kingston v100 128gb or something but the speed is just not there. it feels as if it performs even slower than my hdd for large file copies.
Stupify

Postby Celt » Wed May 15, 2013 2:55 am

I have been very happy with my Corsair . . . I wont remind you what my previous brand was :shock:
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Stupify » Wed May 15, 2013 4:21 am

Edit: my below comment needs a bit more update on the performance. the drivers that W7 installed even with the Windows Update were not new enough and are potentially the bigger culprit. I have since then updated the drivers and have noticed the performance is more respectable with slow response now and then when switching between windows.

holy mother of sheenaz the Kingston SSDNow V100 128 GB drive is so bad that if i were to do any form of copy from my other drive (not the dead ocz) to it, it would bring my system down to a crawl. even the open firefox would take a while to even register the click, 3+ seconds. that's worse than my most mechanical drives i have used in the past. This really is a shit drive to work with.
Stupify

Postby Stupify » Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm

So I have opened a RMA ticket with OCZ but do not have the receipt or the box with me. Let see how things go with them. I hope they do realize that the drive has 3 years warranty and that it was not launched 3 years ago hence i could not have bought it more than 3 years ago --> should still be under warranty regardless of the receipt/box.
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Most companies won't process a RMA without the proof of purchase ( receipt ). Where did you buy this OCZ SSD from? You may have to contact them to get them to reproduce the sales receipt ( at a small cost most likely ). I keep a manila folder in my desk and every single receipt I get from a computer purchase goes in there...that way I never lose the damned receipt for warranty purposes...

Best of luck.

I was going to recommend this SSD to you as best "bang for the buck" currently, till I read about your issues with your old Kingston V100 SSD:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storag ... -v300.html

Reliable SSD brands:

Corsair, Patriot, Intel, Sandisk, Crucial all come to mind...

Edit: and of course Samsung!! :wink:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 am

Don't forget Samsung SSD's.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 am

Stupify wrote:So I have opened a RMA ticket with OCZ but do not have the receipt or the box with me. Let see how things go with them. I hope they do realize that the drive has 3 years warranty and that it was not launched 3 years ago hence i could not have bought it more than 3 years ago --> should still be under warranty regardless of the receipt/box.

Crossing fingers..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am

damnit they want me to provide the serial number but there is no serial number or any other information on the drive aside from the OCZ Vector 2 SATA II SSD drive. The bar-code was sent in as part of mail-in-rebate.

Anyone have any idea how to find that information from the drive?
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 16, 2013 9:22 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Don't forget Samsung SSD's.

Of course...how could I forget them?! :oops: I edited my post to include them. :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am

Stupify wrote:damnit they want me to provide the serial number but there is no serial number or any other information on the drive aside from the OCZ Vector 2 SATA II SSD drive. The bar-code was sent in as part of mail-in-rebate.

Anyone have any idea how to find that information from the drive?

Don't you mean "Vertex 2" instead of Vector? ( you called it a Vertex 2 in your OP, so this must be a typo of course ).

Don't you have a sticker on the back of your drive with the serial number on it , as shown in this pic of a Vertex 2 drive?? :

http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vertex_2_review_120gb

Serial number is listed on the bottom of that sticker... or does your drive not have any sticker on the back at all??

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:37 am

Yeah, if there´s no sticker at all, i would start getting rather suspicious...
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Stupify » Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 am

HT - you are correct - it is a Vertex, not Vector.

Holy 5417!!!!! There was never a sticker on the damn drive and even if there was I would have been able to tell due to the left over glue smudges or something. nope nothing.

what my concerns me now is how in the world did the OCZ Toolkit recognize the drive correctly and was able to flash the firmware correctly if it was a mock drive.
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 16, 2013 11:19 am

You were "great swindled" it seems!! :shock: :incoming: :cry: :P

Too bad the drive won't allow system to boot, cuz you could simply run the OCZ tool to get the serial number tha way...argh...

I googled your drive and it appears that a certain batch of refurb Vertex 2 drives ( serial number starting with "vtx" ( for Vertex of course ) ) had those back stickers removed... you got a refurb drive my friend!! :incoming:

It IS a genuine OCZ drive , just a refurbed one...

The serial number is also stamped inside the drive on a sticker on the PCB, but you have to first remove the drive cover to view it of course, and that means removing the "Do not remove or warranty is void" sticker over the screw...so you are pretty much screwed it seems...

not sure what you can do at this point...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Stupify wrote:Holy 5417!!!!!

:?: :?: :?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:The serial number is also stamped inside the drive on a sticker on the PCB, but you have to first remove the drive cover to view it of course, and that means removing the "Do not remove or warranty is void" sticker over the screw...so you are pretty much screwed it seems...

Maybe that sticker has been removed as well..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Technical Support