The $300 basic pc

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

The $300 basic pc

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat May 11, 2013 10:55 am

http://www.zdnet.com/building-a-sub-300 ... 231/#photo

I just got one of these for an older lady who only uses her computer for very basic stuff ( surfing and email and iTunes, that is it ) and we purchased Windows 7 for it so I installed and configured it for her.

The only difference is that the system we bought came with Gigabyte FM2 mobo, not MSi brand, and the hard drive was Seagate 1 TB 7200rpm 32 MB cache SATA hdd and the memory was a single stick of 4 GB DDR-3 1333 Mhz, not 2 x 2 GB ( Tower came prebuilt for $300 from CanadaComputers )

This is the system:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=058137

The case is surprisingly nice for being a cheap tower...comes with cheap 350 Watt psu... I forget the brand name right now ( obviously it is a cheap brand ) but she has had the system running for a month now with no issues whatsoever, so far so good...

Add $100 for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM System Builder edition.

I was pleasantly surprised how fast this thing is ( for basic stuff, not media transcoding or any serious professional application usage of course ). It boots up fast ( for hdd that is ) and surfing is quite brisk too...

She does not game at all , but just for fun I installed Far Cry 2 to see how the APU would handle it, and it handled it nicely indeed! I was able to game smoothly with Medium settings at 1280x720 ( the max resolution of her old 17 inch LCD monitor - portrait, not widescreen design ). Considering that this is integrated graphics in the APU I was surprised it would do Medium settings instead of Low tbh... not too shabby... of course the APU will help accelerate youtube videos , about the only use it will get by her lol...

Anyways, I highly recommend a system like this for anyone considering a cheap build for basic needs, it makes a great HTPC as well...all things considered. AMD rocks here!! ( for what it is designed for, basic usage ). It is a low power 65-Watt TDP cpu as well, which is impressive considering the APU graphics in the thing...nice job here Daamit!! 8) :D

AMD's A4-5300 Trinity APU. This is a 3.4GHz – 3.6GHz when in Turbo mode – dual-core part which also comes equipped with a DirectX 11-enabled Radeon HD 7480D.

8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: The $300 basic pc

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Considering that this is integrated graphics in the APU I was surprised it would do Medium settings instead of Low tbh...

Impressive yes.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 am

I have some hopes for the Steamroller cores.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:I have some hopes for the Steamroller cores.

Definitely hoping they take care of the problems.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby clone » Sun May 12, 2013 8:44 pm

this is another example why I routinely claim hardware has surpassed software so often, it's hard to find a compelling reason to buy an Intel or AMD cpu for more than $200.00... their just aren't that many reasons to allocate more to the cpu budget..... especially when that additional coin could be used for an SSD or gfx as needed.

if a consumer spends $150 on a cpu like a 6 core AMD or comparable / faster intel and then allocates the remaining coin to storage (SSD) you'll have a faster running system in almost.... almost every way.

today you can go out and get a "wimpy" A6 dual core cpu for next to nothing that can do so much more than just "basic computing", the dual core revolution really brought computing power into the mainstream.

Note: edited to improve the wording compared to quoted original below.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun May 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Yep, unless you are a real "power" user ( doing tasks beyond the ordinary common desktop usage, using professional applications etc. ) there is no need to have a cpu costing more than $200 to $300 ( at most ) from either AMD or Intel these days... as Clone said, the money is better spent on a fast SSD ( and/or better graphics card if you are a gamer or can use gpgpu features etc. ) to make the thing really sing...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon May 13, 2013 1:33 am

clone wrote:this is kinda why hardware has surpassed software by so much, it's hard to find a compelling reason to buy even an Intel cpu for more than $200.00... their just aren't that many reasons to allocate more to the cpu budget..... especially when that additional coin could be used for an SSD.

say spend $150 on a cpu like a 6 core AMD or comparable / faster intel and then allocate the coin to SSD and you'll have a faster running system in almost.... almost every way.

Agreed.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum