AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk

Discussion on HDDs, other storage solutions, sound cards and acoustic systems, peripherals.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 09, 2013 10:49 pm

http://www.radeonmemory.com/software_4.0.php

Dunno why they feel they have to include the "Radeon" brand name on their memory sticks and this new AMD Ramdisk sw...

Gotta love AMD's marketing dept - in the link above, they describe the 4/6/32/64 GB virtual Ramdisk as "Base/Better/Great/Outrageous"!! LMAO , who would not want "Outrageous" performance??!! :lol:

I only have 4 GB of ram so not really enough free memory to properly use this Ramdisk utility...I have a 32 GB Sandisk ReadyCache SSD so am not "suffering" that much when it comes to disk performance...I would have to disable the ReadyCache sw to try this RAMDisk on my system...nah... but if I had 8GB of ram or more I certainly would entertain trying out this new sw...mebbe some of you can try it out and report back...works on AMD or Intel cpu's and any type of ram...although AMD wants you to use their "Radeon" branded memory of course...but it will still run on any any platform with enough free memory...

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk dramatically accelerates the loading and process times of games, software suites and web browsers. It provides faster reading and writing speeds vs. your hard disk drive or an SSD. Experience read performance up to 25600MB/s with DDR3-1600MHz memory and even higher with faster.

At boot, AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk can be programmed to automatically and silently load files into the RAMDisk. At shutdown or hibernation, data from the RAM drive is saved back to a traditional hard drive for long term storage. To reduce the volatile nature of memory, the data stored can be set to auto-save at timed intervals that can be set by the users.

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk is designed to permanently delete any information stored in the RAMDisk that is not backed up or auto-saved, making the information completely unrecoverable. Additionally, because it has no moving parts, it is resistant to wear and tear unlike traditional HDDs and SSDs. It allows users unlimited read and write capacity without the fear of disk failure.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5536- ... mdisk.html

AMD Radeon RAMDisk 4.1

Developer: AMD
Last updated: May 8, 2013
License: Freeware
OS Support: Windows (all)
File Size: 4.1 MB

AMD Radeon RAMDisk harnesses the untapped potential of your system's memory to deliver lightning reading and writing speed and dramatically accelerate the loading and processing times of games, web browsers and software suites.

Download your free trial today and begin creating disks up to 4GB using memory already in your system. If you've got AMD memory installed, enjoy creating disks up to 6GB (see 6GB Promotion Terms and Conditions).

Features:

Speed up internet page loads
Speed up disk-to-disk activities
Speed up PC game load times
Speed up software application loads and more

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk is designed to work with any AMD or Intel-based platform with at least 512MB RAM and can be created using system RAM not already assigned to the O/S. Although RAMDisk is software, Windows Management treats it as a Hard Disk Drive. There is a chance that the disk may become fragmented much like a hard disk, however the performance issues are less than if physical hard disks were to become fragmented.

AMD plans to provide AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk support to future generation system memory specifications. AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk requires a minimum of 1GB of system memory for installation (minimum 4GB of RAM recommended for RAMDisk creation).

A Dataram product. AMD Brand, technology names and logos used under license from Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

If you need support for more than 4GB of RAM, you can purchase RAMDisk Xtreme.

Remember that all Ramdisks are "volatile" but at least the AMD RAMdisk allows you to save your data at intervals which is a nice feature.

Here is a benchmark of the AMD RAMdisk utility ( second in that pic ) vs another popular ramdisk utility called "IMDisk Ramdisk" , a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, and good old 750 GB 7200rpm SATA hdd:

AMD RAMdisk is the fastest, beating IMDisk by a slight margin...except for 4K Queue Depth of 32 which no desktop user ever experiences...only happens in the server world with massive I/O requests...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am

Still, the idea of a RAMdisk doesn't sound appealing to me.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Still, the idea of a RAMdisk doesn't sound appealing to me.

:shock:

WHY? It´s a great way to exploit the cheap RAM today.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Stupify » Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 am

RAMDisk is pointless for most part. You need to load the data from hdd to RAM and then copy back from RAM to hdd. So one way or other you are going to get hit with your hdd's performance. Then there is the fact that if your hdd is a SSD drive then you are causing massive writes as well. The more the files the longer it would take to initialize too. So what is the point of creating a RAMdisk regardless of how cheap the RAM is? The only place I can imagine it being great is for temporary files - imagine Photoshop's scratch disk.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:56 am

Stupify wrote:RAMDisk is pointless for most part. You need to load the data from hdd to RAM and then copy back from RAM to hdd. So one way or other you are going to get hit with your hdd's performance. Then there is the fact that if your hdd is a SSD drive then you are causing massive writes as well. The more the files the longer it would take to initialize too. So what is the point of creating a RAMdisk regardless of how cheap the RAM is? The only place I can imagine it being great is for temporary files - imagine Photoshop's scratch disk.

Ack... Don´t you have any creativity?

For example, one good way to do it is to use it for all system(and game) files that are only READ from... Windows becomes almost lightning fast if you do that.
And if you load the game data files to the RAMdisk before playing, no risk of getting slowed down during play.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Stupify » Fri May 10, 2013 7:15 am

Too bad i don't game much nowadays unless you count Spider Solitaire as a game :twisted: have not had any time to game for a while now.
Stupify

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm

I do game, but DIII only. The3 Sandisk ReadyCache is speeding it up nicely (loadtime). No slowdown during gameplay.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri May 10, 2013 4:43 pm

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Stupify wrote:RAMDisk is pointless for most part. You need to load the data from hdd to RAM and then copy back from RAM to hdd. So one way or other you are going to get hit with your hdd's performance. Then there is the fact that if your hdd is a SSD drive then you are causing massive writes as well. The more the files the longer it would take to initialize too. So what is the point of creating a RAMdisk regardless of how cheap the RAM is? The only place I can imagine it being great is for temporary files - imagine Photoshop's scratch disk.

Ack... Don´t you have any creativity?

For example, one good way to do it is to use it for all system(and game) files that are only READ from... Windows becomes almost lightning fast if you do that.
And if you load the game data files to the RAMdisk before playing, no risk of getting slowed down during play.

Exactly!

1Test conducted in AMD Labs using a timer to measure save and load times for Bioshock Infinite using AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk 64GB Version 4.1 versus 4.0. Bioshock Infinite loaded in 2 seconds with "Background Update" enabled and saved in 5 secs with "Load in Background" enabled with Version 4.1 versus loaded in 172 secs and saved in 615 secs with Version 4.0. Specifications: Intel i7 930, Asus P6TD motherboard, 24GB DDR3-1866 AMD Radeon™ Performance Series Memory, 4x Western Digital Caviar Black series hard disks in RAID 10 configuration, Windows 7 RTM 64-bit, AMD Radeon RAMDisk 64GB. RMD-24

Bioshock Infinite game loads in 2 seconds with AMD RAMDisk version 4.1 instead of 172 seconds with old version ... that makes a difference for sure!!

Yes it is volatile, but AMD RAMDisk loads when Windows starts up ( and saves during Shutdown ), plus you can tell it to save data at regular intervals if you want it to...so it is not as "dangerous" as it seems...still dangerous, just not quite so bad if your power is interrupted due to regular interval saves...just saying..
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri May 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Actually the opposite occurs with regards to read/writes to your HDD or SSD:

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk is designed to permanently delete any information stored in the RAMDisk that is not backed up or auto-saved, making the information completely unrecoverable. Additionally, because it has no moving parts, it is resistant to wear and tear unlike traditional HDDs and SSDs. It allows users unlimited read and write capacity without the fear of disk failure.

Once the data is written to the RAMDrive, there is NO read writes to your HDD or SSD!! All data worked on in RAM... until you shutdown your pc and the data is then written back out to your HDD or SSD... and if you use the "save at regular intervals" then there is the odd write to your drive of course...

Overall there is hardly any r/w access going on with your HDD or SSD... all the data r/w going on in your RAMDrive...excepting the odd time as mentioned above...this saves much wear and tear on your drives...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat May 11, 2013 12:38 am

Wear and tear is only diminished for the actuators, platters keep spinning.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat May 11, 2013 10:21 am

True, but for an SSD with no moving parts, then no wear and tear at all...and HDD can idle down when not in use...so less wear and tear on that too...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Stupify » Sat May 11, 2013 6:51 pm

H_T i was referring to when starting and shutting down the computer for read/write to SSD. You end up writing the entire RAMDisk "image" back to the actual hdd and the amount of data written depends on the size and usage of the RAMDisk. RAMDisk can do a lot of good stuff for me on the work i do - running weblogic application servers, IDE, ... All of that would run insanely fast and would be worth that one time load to RAMDisk. However, given I use a laptop that has Core i7 M640 (first gen) which supports max 8GB memory and i have a SSD drive, i rather allocate the memory to run the virtual machine i have my work (and the application mentioned earlier) than give up so much memory to RAMDisk needed to hold those files. maybe if i had 32gb memory than i would seriously do it.
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat May 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Very true, but how often do you reboot your machine? I leave mine running 24/7 ( I put it in sleep mode when I sleep ) and only have to reboot once every 2 weeks or so for various Windows updates etc. So that is less r/w than if your reboot daily of course.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 12, 2013 2:31 am

Hammer_Time wrote:True, but for an SSD with no moving parts, then no wear and tear at all...and HDD can idle down when not in use...so less wear and tear on that too...

Memory cells of SSD's seem to suffer degradation by use..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 12, 2013 2:32 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Very true, but how often do you reboot your machine? I leave mine running 24/7 ( I put it in sleep mode when I sleep ) and only have to reboot once every 2 weeks or so for various Windows updates etc. So that is less r/w than if your reboot daily of course.

I reboot mine sometimes once a day, sometimes more. So far the WD Black drive is working well since 2009..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 am

i reboot my host OS about the same frequency. however it is not the same when talking about all the virtual machines i run, especially the one for work.
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon May 13, 2013 1:51 pm

I see...well obviously a RAMDisk solution is not for "everyone" ... depends on your needs and usage of course...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon May 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:True, but for an SSD with no moving parts, then no wear and tear at all...and HDD can idle down when not in use...so less wear and tear on that too...

Memory cells of SSD's seem to suffer degradation by use..

Yes of course, but I was referring to the fact that with a RAMDisk, the rw all occur in memory ( except for the odd "save" interval, and of course the loading and unloading of the RAMDisk when Windows starts up / shuts down ), and the SSD is "untouched" during that time ( no r/w occuring to the SSD ). A mechanical hdd still "spins" the whole time the machine is on ( unless it is put in sleep mode etc. ) , even though you are saving wear and tear on the r/w heads ( actuators ) by using a RAMDisk ( no r/w to the HDD for the most part ). That is the point I was trying to make about saving wear and tear on the SSD as opposed to mechanical HDD.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 14, 2013 12:21 am

That's clear then. :wink:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Storage, Sound and Others