Quad core i7 laptop

Discuss Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, and other Mobile computing devices here ( except Smartphones which has its own forum ).

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Quad core i7 laptop

Postby Cid » Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 pm

I've been thinking of buying a new laptop
I currently have an i7 first generation and it gets really toasty at times, so I'm looking for a cooler laptop
I'd prefer a metal body 14-16" and definitely want a full hd screen ips would be better but not a must, I'd also prefer discrete graphics, an ssd is not a must but having a msaport to add one is a plus (no need to ditch the HDD)

I almost pulled the trigger with an xps 15 recently but read that it did get very hot and had throttling issues, I was also looking at a refurbrished envy 15 3014-nr(much nicer than the newer hp models) but it had a 2nd gen processor so it might get hotter, been thinking of holding a little to get a hasswell processor but then I read that the TDP went from 45W to 47W, and that makes me unsure of wether that will make laptops cooler.

I'd like to stay under 1500, preferably 1000, not counting the price the only computer that seems to fit the bill is the MacBook pro with retina display but that one is over 2000, so out of my projected budget, I might spend the money for it if I get a contract for iOS development which would pay for the difference and then some, but if that does not happen I'd rather not spend that much on a laptop.
Cid

Re: Quad core i7 laptop

Postby Celt » Thu May 09, 2013 12:23 am

I have to be honest, we all recently got our laptops replaced with the new Hp EliteBooks - mtal cased, and pretty tasty for a business laptop - dunno if they do versions with decent graphics though. might be worth looking at especially as the Envy line seems to have gne all touch and Win 8 . . . not so impressed with those . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 09, 2013 2:13 am

Dunno if this is what you are looking for, but it is priced right, has metal chassis, Core i7, sexy as hell, Windows 7 ( not 8! ) and it comes with a subwoofer can!! Top that!! :wink: :twisted: :lol:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/ ... asus-n56vm

Can only take 8 GB of ram max though...not sure if that is enough for you or not...

Full review:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Update-rev ... 077.0.html

You can buy a refurb off newegg for just $700 with 90 day warranty:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230798

Dunno if newegg ships to Mexico or not...If they do, then also order a fast big SDD to replace the 750 GB 5400rpm hard drive with... and use the 750 GB for data storage in an external enclosure or other large SATA drive...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Cid » Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 am

No they don't ship to Mexico, but I can order and have it delivered to a friends place, and have somebody pick it up on a trip or do it myself, we live close enough that there is always some friend or family member about to go on a shopping trip. :)
Cid

Postby Cid » Thu May 09, 2013 7:59 am

That Asus looks really good, It only takes 8GB so a problem for running VMs and it has only an HDMI so no double screens when working at my desk but still very tempting, i might hit the trigger, let me see the one on newegg, at 700 it is a steal.
Cid

Postby Cid » Thu May 09, 2013 8:06 am

Checked closer it only has 1366x768 resolution
I hate that resolution with passion hehe
there is not enough space to look at code, that's the one I have in my own laptop, been working with a couple of full hd IPS monitors lately and don't want to go back, I always felt constrained by the lack of height and always missed the 1280x1800 resolution on laptops, even those few pixels made me feel more comfortable, but now I don't even want to work from home, if I have a choice I stay late, it is that bad hehe.
Cid

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Ah too bad, I didnt realize the max. screen resolution was so low...weird for an Asus in this pricerange... :shock: :roll: :P

Pass on that one then...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Cid » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 pm

No worries, it was a very nice laptop though

I really wish the XPS 15 didn't overheat as that one gets warranty coverage even here in Mexico, next business day home service, the other one I really liked was the old envy line, the new ones look like pavilions with a little metal here and there, let's hope Hasswell does improve the temperatures, I guess I can wait a few more weeks.
Cid

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Cid wrote:Checked closer it only has 1366x768 resolution
I hate that resolution with passion hehe
there is not enough space to look at code, that's the one I have in my own laptop, been working with a couple of full hd IPS monitors lately and don't want to go back, I always felt constrained by the lack of height and always missed the 1280x1800 resolution on laptops, even those few pixels made me feel more comfortable, but now I don't even want to work from home, if I have a choice I stay late, it is that bad hehe.

No option for a better screen?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Cid » Thu May 09, 2013 11:05 pm

new egg carries prebuilt computers, besides, the limitations plus the increase in price make it less of a deal, not bad, but not as attractive, specially considering Asus warranty might not be so good here in Mexico as dell's, don't know about HP but for certain notebooks, I'm certain there is coverage, even with that it goes into my list of possible purchases.
Cid

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 09, 2013 11:39 pm

If plastic is done right with reinforcement, it can be as stiff or nearly as stiff as metal chassis:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am

But cheaper I suppose.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Fri May 10, 2013 1:36 am

The metal chassis also helps with cooling . . . . a LOT . . . I've gone from roasting my fingers on the venthole of a Turion x2 in a plastic case to a pleasantly warm airflow from a metal cased i7 . . . mmmm toastie . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 pm

I have a Turion X2 in a plastic chassis.... no way I can toast my fingers... or those of anyone else.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:I have a Turion X2 in a plastic chassis.... no way I can toast my fingers... or those of anyone else.

Different models makes huge difference. It´s not the Turion that has anything real to do with it, it´s how the system is built in total.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat May 11, 2013 12:20 am

Yea, must be.
My Turion is already happily running for over 6 years now (in an Acer laptop) and no signs of giving up! :)
It runs D-III happily but with low detail.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 am

What about this one - it has plastic chassis, not metal, but the screen goes to full HD resolution ( 1920 x 1080 ) :

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/380749/msi-cx61

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am

That translates to well over $1000... ($1044).
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun May 12, 2013 8:34 am

Cid wrote:I'd like to stay under 1500, preferably 1000, .

Within budget...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 am

Yup. maybe he likes it..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets