Gtx 660 Ti MSI

Everything on contemporary and upcoming graphics chips and VGA cards. 3D discussions. Monitors and video editing.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Gtx 660 Ti MSI

Postby gracie » Wed May 01, 2013 7:41 am

I did a new install Win 7 Pro 64bit, I have 16gb Ram installed.. Samsung SSD 830 128gb, Asus Z77..w/ i2600k overclocked to 4.5ghz and
I was wondering as my question is.. My video card is not down clocking to .. running full speed. I have MSI Afterburner installed and I have
also reinstalled my Video Card drivers from nvidia. the new 320 series.. Beta.. I was running the older 310.90 version. But noticed it was doing the
same by not down clocking itself. Is there a setting that I missed is why it isnt downclocking itself? If so.. where is it ?

Thank you for your help
gracie

Re: Gtx 660 Ti MSI

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Gracie,

Welcome to the forums.

When you say your GTX 660 Ti card is not "downclocking" itself, I am not sure I understand what you mean here or what you expect your card to be doing...

Do you mean you have set the gpu speed to be lower than its nominal ( rated ) speed using MSi Afterburner utility when not gaming or otherwise using the 3D capability of your card, and it is not doing so ( because the card's bios won't allow that to happen most likely ) ?? Just trying to figure out what you expect your card to be doing...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:44 am

When you say your GTX 660 Ti card is not "downclocking" itself, I am not sure I understand what you mean here or what you expect your card to be doing...

Same as always? When not running something 3D, card should clock down.

Hmm, it couldn´t be that Win7 causes the card to run in 3D mode could it?
Wrong card, OS, problem type and all for me to be much use though... My AMD 6770 certainly clocks down outside of 3D...
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby gracie » Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 am

When I first installed the drivers.. it would down clock itself.. run at the default speed.. 324mhz I think it is... It has been running at
967mhz.. Is there a setting a I missed? or should I reinstall the driver?
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 pm

If you are using latest version browser of IE9, IE10, Firefox or Google Chrome, all 3 of those use some of the 3D functionality of your 3D card ( for accelerating text antialiasing etc. )

When using those browsers, my GTX 560 Ti card runs at full ( default ) speed of 850 Mhz ( I have EVGA FPB edition that runs 850 Mhz stock ).

If I use an older browser such as Maxthon 3 that does not use any of the 3D functionality of my video card, then my card does not heat up at all as it does ( running MSI afterburner temp utility in my system tray ) slightly when using those "3D" browsers so to speak indicating the card is being "used".

So if you are running one of those browsers all the time , that would explain why your card is not "clocking down".

I just proved this, I am using Maxthon 3 browser to type this, and my gpu core speed was just 50 Mhz ( card idling in 2D mode ) as reported by MSI Afterburner. I just launched Chrome and the gpu core speed jumped to 850 Mhz and stayed there as long as Chrome was open. Closing Chrome allowed gpu to drop back down to 50 Mhz idle.

I believe the same thing is happening for you, check it out...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am

Why do the browsers need the GPU to run at full speed, browsing can't be that demanding..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:36 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Why do the browsers need the GPU to run at full speed, browsing can't be that demanding..

It´s a feature, not a bug... :mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 02, 2013 8:20 am

Simply accessing the card's 3D features causes the card to run at FULL speed unfortunately. Of course the browser does not "need" the full capability of the card, but simply having the card come out of 2D/idle mode and into 3D mode means it has to run at full speed...which it does...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby gracie » Thu May 02, 2013 3:54 pm

I know most cards will use 3D mode for rendering.. but even when idle.. it isnt coming out of 3D mode. That was before this last install I had to do
because I had a virus and the AV didnt clean it out completely. If I do a reinstall of the drivers at first. it will come out of 3D mode but then once
I am using the card.. it will stay in 3D mode. 3D mode is 967mhz on the MSI Card Twin Frozr
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Ouch, have you tried using Driver Sweeper utility yet? Will clean out all traces of old driver so no conflicts:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/dri ... nload.html

Run it twice, once after you have deleted the nvidia driver and once after the required reboot, just to "make sure" it got everything...

Then install latest nVidia WHQL driver and see if that fixes your problem.

If it does not , and your card stays stuck in 3D mode all the time, then your windows installation got borked by the virus ( had similar thing happen to me, could not even load nVidia driver at all anymore due to corrupted windows ) and you should install windows fresh ( format drive or install to a fresh partition ) and that should solve your issue. Good luck! :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri May 03, 2013 12:10 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Simply accessing the card's 3D features causes the card to run at FULL speed unfortunately. Of course the browser does not "need" the full capability of the card, but simply having the card come out of 2D/idle mode and into 3D mode means it has to run at full speed...which it does...

Then there's room for driver improvements.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 am

gracie wrote:I know most cards will use 3D mode for rendering.. but even when idle.. it isnt coming out of 3D mode. That was before this last install I had to do because I had a virus and the AV didnt clean it out completely.

Then your system is still infected!
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby gracie » Sat May 04, 2013 1:56 am

I did a fresh install.. how would my system be infected? New format .. shouldnt it wipe out the virus?
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun May 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Ah, misunderstood your previous post, so you have already done a fresh install of windows, and still have the issue, weird...not a virus-related problem then obviously...

Did you try the previous version of nVidia driver again ( not the Beta that you mentioned ). Might be worth trying that ( after running Driver Sweeper of course ) if you have not done so already.

Sorry don't have any other advice for you at this time...good luck!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 am

Maybe you could flash the card's BIOS with a newer version if available? Could be a bug in the card's BIOS..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm

...or the card is now faulty somehow...dunno...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 am

Also possible..
Try it in another PC?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby gracie » Sun May 12, 2013 5:31 pm

I havent had much luck with the latest install of Win 7.. sighs.. I tried a program and it took some sound files with it when I uninstalled it.. I went and uninstalled the drivers and that didnt help.. then I had to do another format of the OS.. This time tho. I seen something that got my attention, as I did my updates from MS, I did the Platform update and the patch from MS.. caused the video card driver to get stuck in 3D mode.. Then after I seen what one it was and why.. I uninstalled that update. Then redid my drivers from Nvidia and it is working as it should. Maybe it was just coincidence. I am not sure .. but it is working now.. it was the KB2670838 Update. It is for IE 10 . I dont use IE anymore.. I havent used it in years. I basically only use FF and it has been really good for me.
gracie

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Ah, glad you found the source of the problem...an IE 10 update...this just adds more ammunition to my thread complaining about IE10 incompatibility with older web apps lol...IE10 sure is causing lots of grief for a number of users out there... I have it installed on my system just for testing purposes...never really use it though...happy with Chrome and Maxthon 3... :D

That KB update you listed causes FF font corruption sometimes too:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-wi ... nts-218186

MAY 08, 2013

Windows 7 patch KB 2670838 fries Firefox fonts

For users with font-rendering problems in Firefox that can be traced to problematic KB 2670838 patch, here's an easy fix

By Woody Leonhard | InfoWorld

I'm seeing more reports of an odd font-rendering problem in Firefox: Random lines on a page have fonts with distinct color shifts, pixelating the characters into a "rainbow" that makes the lines nearly illegible. The problem occurs in multiple languages and with many different fonts. All of the reports I've seen can be traced to our favorite problematic Windows automatic update patch, KB 2670838.

Fortunately, it's easy to fix the problem if you disable a specific font rendering in Firefox.

You may recall KB 2670838, the buggy patch Microsoft released down the automatic update chute on Feb. 26. At the time, the primary problem resulted in a Blue Screen of Death on certain Windows 7 machines running specific video driver versions. Microsoft's cleaned up the patch and re-issued it, and if the patch installer detects any of the problematic video drivers, it refuses to install the patch.

There's an official list of 31 incompatible hardware/driver combinations. Most of the incompatible video drivers have new versions available, but a few (including the Lenovo G470/G570/Radeon HD 6370M and 7370M) can't be updated to conform to KB 2670838.

Yesterday a reader approached me with an odd font-rendering problem that only occurs in Firefox. The font shift has been described as pixelated, vertically displaced, with irregularities in smoothing -- a "rainbow" of colors appears where there should be a black font. Oddly, the problem appears on random lines on a Web page and moves when the page is moved up and down the screen. Restarting Firefox doesn't clear up the problem. The same behavior occurs in both Firefox 19 and 20.

The problem also occurs on systems where Internet Explorer 10 has been installed -- even if KB 2670838 was not explicitly installed prior to installing IE10.

To fix the font-rendering problem, you can remove the KB 2670838 patch or uninstall IE10, but uninstalling IE10 and fully restoring IE9 can be complex.

The Mozilla support forum reports that you can usually solve the problem by going into the Firefox about:config page and changing gfx.content.azure.enabled to false. That's kind of a general fix-all approach to many font-rendering difficulties, and in this case it appears to work.

It's not clear if this is a Microsoft issue or a Mozilla issue, but that really muddies the important point: If you have the problem, it's relatively easy to fix. See Mozilla Bug 812695.

This story, "Windows 7 patch KB 2670838 fries Firefox fonts," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Get the first word on what the important tech news really means with the InfoWorld Tech Watch blog. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.

Well congrats on finally discovering the problem and sharing it with us... happy gaming!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon May 13, 2013 1:36 am

gracie wrote:I havent had much luck with the latest install of Win 7.. sighs.. I tried a program and it took some sound files with it when I uninstalled it.. I went and uninstalled the drivers and that didnt help.. then I had to do another format of the OS.. This time tho. I seen something that got my attention, as I did my updates from MS, I did the Platform update and the patch from MS.. caused the video card driver to get stuck in 3D mode.. Then after I seen what one it was and why.. I uninstalled that update. Then redid my drivers from Nvidia and it is working as it should. Maybe it was just coincidence. I am not sure .. but it is working now.. it was the KB2670838 Update. It is for IE 10 . I dont use IE anymore.. I havent used it in years. I basically only use FF and it has been really good for me.

So in future do review the updates before installing them ( I always do that) so you can unpin those you don't want/need.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Graphics