Help deciding which CPU to buy

All about CPU, mainboards, and memory.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Help deciding which CPU to buy

Postby alonbl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm building a pc from scratch for gaming and Photoshop and I need to decide between rather to order the I7-3770K from a friend from the U.S in late May with a discount that he has from Intel for just 169$+shipping. or wait for my uncle to arrive from China in July and he will bring me video card and can also bring me the I7-4770K or i5-4670K (they will probably be corresponding price).
Maybe its better to decide between i5-4670K and i7-3770K?
Is the i5-4670K will be better then i7-3770K?
What about the Z78 boards and new chipset are they better then the current?
In June there will be cheap mobos or only hi-end?

*If I buy it in May I cant play because I will have to wait till June for my uncle to bring the video card.
alonbl

Re: Help deciding which CPU to buy

Postby Stupify » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm

alonbl, the 4K series should be good to get if you can wait - new architecture and new socket. at least it gets you some upgradability option, not futureproofing though. DDR4 will be just around the corner - read end of year/early next year. so if you do decide to upgrade motherboard, you probably get the option to move the cpu there. I don't believe the same can be said for 3K series cpu.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby alonbl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:44 am

I heard that when the new CPU's will lunch the new motherboards will be expansive for a few months. is it true?
alonbl

Postby Celt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 am

That's true for a couple of reasons:

1. They tend to launch the "premium" chipsets supporting a new CPU architecture first, so as to make sure the benchmarks etc. look good ;-)
2. An manufacturing yools up new compenents the prices starts high until economies of scale cut in to reduce the price. they don;t give the low price first just in case the new part sucks, and they don;t sell many, so they can recoup their tooling investment sooner
3. There are too many people prepare to pay the higher price just so they can have the "latest" tech . . . usually these show offs are compensating for deficencies elsewhere . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm

i7 4770K is only "5 to 15%" faster than Ivy Bridge:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/3369 ... iewed.aspx

In terms of the old-fashioned 'CPU' bit, clock speeds are unchanged and performance per MHz is 5-15% better than Ivy Bridge; a decent, if not earth shattering improvement. Haswell CPUs alsoi deliver 16 channels of PCIe 3.0 and two channels of DDR3, while the Z87 chipset adds in its six (reportedly bugged) native USB 3.0 ports, eight USB 2.0 ports and eight PCIe 2.0 lanes.

You risk "bugs" in the new Z87 chipset motherboard ( as mentioned above regarding buggy USB 3.0 ports ) and undiscovered bugs...

I don't think the huge price difference you would have to pay for the 4770K over the discounted ( for you ) 3770K is worth it all tbh... only a few percent faster, a bit more energy efficient, for what? Double the price or so?? No way...both families of cpu will overclock nicely, and if you plan to oc then the few % performance advantage of the new cpu becomes "moot" ( you would never notice the difference in other words ).

3770K is tried and true, overclocks well, and chipset is known and most importantly you can buy it for a very low price! ..you can always add a PCIe USB 3.0 card to any current Socket 1155 mobo if that is a concern for you...

Since gaming and photochop are your primary uses of this pc, put the money saved into better graphics card ( me likey GTX 660 Ti or even plain jane 660 ( until Nvidia releases the 7xx series this summer which are reported to be 20 to 30% than their current counterparts and will be priced the same as current cards , very nice! ). Make sure you have lots of ram cuz Photochop loves it, go for at least 16 GB of ram as it is cheap right now but prices are on the rise for DDR-3 as I type this so you would be wise to purchase the ram right away, even if you don't play on purchasing the whole pc for another month or two...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby alonbl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks guys I made my mind on the current i7
alonbl

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Best choice ATM between the two.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Good call, you won't be disappointed!

I am thinking of doing a similar upgrade myself soon ( Sandy or Ivy Bridge ) ... saving my sheckles up...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:33 pm

I only need bridges to cross rivers.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Platform