Internet Explorer 10 website incompatibility issues

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Internet Explorer 10 website incompatibility issues

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 pm

This thread is created due to a discussion about IE 10 from the "What are you listening to right now?" thread, which is not the right place to discuss browsers in detail...

So I am copying and pasting all the browser-related posts from that thread here, and deleting them from there afterwards to keep things orderly around here... ( I cannot "split" that topic since there are a few youtube links in those posts I shall leave intact after deleting all the browser-related posts in that thread )

Here are the old posts:

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Celt wrote:try this full link . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPHnZV0K-k

I think we are beginning to suspect your browser is lame . . .

This one works.
The other one now also works.
I'm using IE10, its not that lame..

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Sauron_Daz wrote:
Celt wrote:try this full link . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPHnZV0K-k

I think we are beginning to suspect your browser is lame . . .

This one works.
The other one now also works.
I'm using IE10, its not that lame..

If it´s IE, then it IS lame.

Sauron_Daz wrote:Not really:

The Best Browser?
It would be hard to say that any other browser at this point is faster than IE10 in any way that would be noticeable to the user. In many cases, it’s actually the fastest browser, as shown on graphics hardware acceleration benchmarks, initial startup speed tests, and independent page-load studies. It also gets out of the way as much as any other browser, with a sparse interface that lets the webpage take center stage. But Google Chrome's superior support for emerging Web technologies, its slick Instant page loading, and built-in Flash and PDF viewers keep it on top of the browser pile. So, Chrome keeps its grip on PCMag's Editors' Choice—for now.

(Conclusion from this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416300,00.asp )

Hammer_Time wrote:
Sauron_Daz wrote:Not really:

The Best Browser?
It would be hard to say that any other browser at this point is faster than IE10 in any way that would be noticeable to the user. In many cases, it’s actually the fastest browser, as shown on graphics hardware acceleration benchmarks, initial startup speed tests, and independent page-load studies. It also gets out of the way as much as any other browser, with a sparse interface that lets the webpage take center stage. But Google Chrome's superior support for emerging Web technologies, its slick Instant page loading, and built-in Flash and PDF viewers keep it on top of the browser pile. So, Chrome keeps its grip on PCMag's Editors' Choice—for now.

(Conclusion from this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416300,00.asp )

I just benchmarked all latest version browsers recently using FutureMark's Peacekeeper Browser Benchmark utility ( different from what they used above ).

Google Chrome was fastest overall, closely followed by Maxthon 3... middle of the pack was latest FireFox, followed by IE10, and then IE9, finally Opera. I realize it is synthetic benchmark but just saying , IE10 is not always "fastest" in benchmarks, depends which benchmark. All of them are "Fast enough" though these days, so in real world usage you would probably not notice the minor speed differences between any of the top browsers...just saying...

I just did an upgrade for a friend, from XP to Windows7 and put IE10 for W7 on it for him. He uses TD banking website quite a bit and it worked fine with IE8 on XP, but IE10 has MAJOR compatibility issues on these banking sites... lots of blank pages and other problems, even in IE10 compatibility mode... Google Chrome works fine, but he insists on using IE for some reason. I found that many websites have "IE10 compatibility issues" after googling his problems extensively...This is both M$ fault and the website developers fault for not upgrading their old website to be compatible with latest browsers such as IE9/IE10...which is standard in Windows 8 , argh....morons...

Hammer_Time wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:
I just did an upgrade for a friend, from XP to Windows7 and put IE10 for W7 on it for him. He uses TD banking website quite a bit and it worked fine with IE8 on XP, but IE10 has MAJOR compatibility issues on these banking sites... lots of blank pages and other problems, even in IE10 compatibility mode... Google Chrome works fine, but he insists on using IE for some reason. I found that many websites have "IE10 compatibility issues" after googling his problems extensively...This is both M$ fault and the website developers fault for not upgrading their old website to be compatible with latest browsers such as IE9/IE10...which is standard in Windows 8 , argh....morons...

Told ya IE is automatically lame... :mrgreen:

Generally more bugs and security holes than other browsers.

I tend to agree in general... for "basic surfing" IE 9 or 10 usually gets the job done ( simple web pages ), but if you want to do anything "serious" on the web ( banking websites and stock investor-related sites etc. that my friend has used for years with IE8 and occasionally Chrome ) then it is a nightmare...

We clicked on IE 10's "Compatibility Mode" but it did not help on certain websites:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ewan/archive ... ility.aspx

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... 7ec4a99548

Question

KimBruce asked on March 23, 2013

Internet Explorer 10 Incompatible browser.

I keep getting this..."Sorry, the browser you are using is not currently supported. To use the comments, Disqus (or any other chat or discussion room) recommends the following browsers: IE 9, Chrome, Firefox".
I am using IE10 with Windows 7.
Why aren't these websites updated?

Kim S. Bruce

Answer

IE10 is a brand new program. Obviously, there are compatibility issues.

Try one of the followings :

1. Open IE 10 > at the top, click Tools > click Compatibility View settings > enter the website address into the box under Add this website> click Add > Close when done.

2. Press F12 key > click Browser Mode IE10 > select Internet Explorer 9.
** when you are done with the website that requires IE9, press F12 key again to exit IE9 mode.

We tried this and it still did not help...weird...

More problems:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... 3219f8cb6f

http://community.intuit.com/posts/qb201 ... patibility

snapontoolsman
03/18/13 1:44am PDT

QB2013 Win 8 IE 10 incompatibility

US QuickBooks Pro for Windows : 2013

I have QB 2013 on windows 8 running internet explorer 10. Why do I keep getting error message "quickbooks requires internet explorer version 6.0 or later"? It won't install or anything. Please help! I just spent $300 on completely useless software. I ran QB Pro 2003 until this year when I got a new computer, and after getting this same error message, assumed I needed to upgrade my QB.  Not the case!  A brand new version has exact same problems.  Tried the registry change they recommended. No luck. Couldn't even locate qbw.ini file as suggested.  PLEASE HELP!!!

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-ie10-fo ... 000007338/

and so on...

This is all M$ fault for breaking the W3C web standards with IE6 through IE8 years ago, forcing developers to code websites to work with M$ "proprietary" browser. Now, years later, when M$ finally comes to its senses and starts making browsers that actually adhere to the global W3C consortium standards ( IE 9 and 10 ), the old websites written for IE6 through IE8 no longer display properly in IE 9/10 ... mostly IE10 tbh, just saying...they are the cause of their own problems, and thus ours now...thanks M$ , douchebags!!!!

:fist: :evil: :roll:

Edit: Just realized this is not the appropriate thread to be discussing browsers in detail, am splitting the thread now.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Internet Explorer 10 website incompatibility issues

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I haven't run into compatibility problems yet..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 am

i have installed IE10 on Windows 7, the beta version. one key problem i have seen is the date, specifically the year. Instead of 2013 it will show up as 113, eg: 2013/04/24 will show up as 113/04/24.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 pm

:lol: :lol:

Sauron - as I mentioned, for basic surfing IE10 is fine, but the devil is in the details, so to speak!! :twisted: :P

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 19(v=vs.85).aspx

https://community.jivesoftware.com/thread/211375

http://sfcsubserv.tumblr.com/post/48392 ... ility-mode

http://blog.chron.com/helpline/2013/04/ ... plorer-10/

http://ocio.osu.edu/blog/newslink/2013/ ... her-sites/

Internet Explorer 10 Not Compatible with PeopleSoft, Carmen and Other Sites

By RIC HUNTER | Published: APRIL 12, 2013

The newest version of Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE10) was recently released and bundled into Microsoft software updates.  However, IE10 is not yet certified as compatible with PeopleSoft Financials, HR/SIS, and other university systems that include eReports, eTravel, Carmen, and curriculum.osu.edu, at this time.

Be aware that if you use IE10, you could experience issues when using the previously mentioned applications.  Common issues that have been reported include menus/pages not displaying correctly and queries becoming stuck in processing mode.

While it would be best for PeoplesSoft users not to use IE10 until it is certified by Oracle, in most cases turning on “Compatibility Mode” will resolve the issues.  The following Knowledge Base article will show how to use the Compatibility Mode feature for your IE browser ocio.osu.edu/KB02000

Please contact the IT Service Desk with any technical questions at 614-688-HELP (4357) or email at 8help@osu.edu. Thank you in advance for your patience.

As new browser compatibility information is available for PeopleSoft, it will be added to Technical Information section of the OCIO’s Administrative System’s page.

etc.

http://www.bsp.com.pg/General/Internet- ... ility.aspx

OMFG!!! :roll: :fist: :evil: :

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2013/03/ ... olicy.aspx

Microsoft Starting New IE 10 Flash Policy This Month

By Kurt Mackie
03/11/2013

Microsoft gave a one-day advance notice today that it will enable the Adobe Flash Player "to run by default" in Internet Explorer 10, starting on March 12.

The announcement by Rob Mauceri, group program manager for Internet Explorer at Microsoft, is a bit confusing because Flash can still be blocked -- even by Microsoft itself. What apparently has changed is Microsoft's procedures associated with IE 10's "compatibility view" (CV) list, which specifies how a Web site's code should be handled.

DIE FLASH DIE!!!! PLEASE!!!

Older news, but why I hate the Flash plugin so much ( especially in FireFox which I don't use anymore since the bloody thing crashed so much ( version 19 in particular ) ) :

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... op_crashes

http://techland.time.com/2011/11/18/occ ... not-later/

HTML 5 is a suitable replacement... however Flash is too prevalent and too "embedded" in too many websites to ever die it seems...wish it would, not running it on my own PC and don't miss the crashes it used to cause!!!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 pm

HTML 5 has it's own problems, and some developers have abandoned it and returned to Flash . . . Apple's anti-Flash war has also stalled . . . Looks like we will be stuck with both for a while . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 am

Hammer_Time wrote:
Internet Explorer 10 Not Compatible with PeopleSoft, Carmen and Other Sites

By RIC HUNTER | Published: APRIL 12, 2013

The newest version of Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE10) was recently released and bundled into Microsoft software updates.  However, IE10 is not yet certified as compatible with PeopleSoft Financials, HR/SIS, and other university systems that include eReports, eTravel, Carmen, and curriculum.osu.edu, at this time.

Be aware that if you use IE10, you could experience issues when using the previously mentioned applications.  Common issues that have been reported include menus/pages not displaying correctly and queries becoming stuck in processing mode.

While it would be best for PeoplesSoft users not to use IE10 until it is certified by Oracle, in most cases turning on “Compatibility Mode” will resolve the issues.  The following Knowledge Base article will show how to use the Compatibility Mode feature for your IE browser ocio.osu.edu/KB02000

Please contact the IT Service Desk with any technical questions at 614-688-HELP (4357) or email at 8help@osu.edu. Thank you in advance for your patience.

As new browser compatibility information is available for PeopleSoft, it will be added to Technical Information section of the OCIO’s Administrative System’s page.

I don't use those..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Celt wrote:HTML 5 has it's own problems, and some developers have abandoned it and returned to Flash . . . Apple's anti-Flash war has also stalled . . . Looks like we will be stuck with both for a while . . .

Indeed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... _and_Flash

HTML 5
All web browsers support HTML and other Web standards to various degrees.
As of March 2011 versions of browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera implement HTML5 to a large degree. However, many Internet users continue using older browsers such as Internet Explorer 8 (the highest version available to users of Windows XP), so portions of the HTML5 specification do not work with a significant fraction of browsers still in use.

[edit]Usage statistics

Flash Player usage statistics according to Adobe:

85% of the most-visited web sites use[ambiguous] Flash,
75% of web video is viewed using the Flash Player,
98% of enterprises rely on the Flash Player, and
70% of web games are made in Flash.[42]
Some video sites, including YouTube, Vimeo and blip.tv, have implemented support for HTML5 video.[43]

[edit]Vendor neutrality
Until 2008, the use of Flash was covered by restrictive licenses. The conditions prohibited use of the specification to develop any software (including players) which could render or read (and thus convert) SWF files, and required the output SWF files to be compatible with Adobe’s players.[44]
In 2008, restrictions on use of the SWF and FLV/F4V specifications were dropped, and some specifications were released.[45] However, the “SWF File Format Specification Version 10” allegedly did not contain all the needed information, did not contain much information that hasn’t been previously known by the community,[46] and itself could not be copied, printed out in more than one copy, distributed, resold or translated, without written approval of Adobe Systems Incorporated.[47]
Steve Jobs noted that Flash is not an open standard – it is controlled by Adobe Systems – whereas HTML5 is largely controlled by a committee (WHATWG) made up of three companies – Opera Software, the Mozilla Foundation, and Apple.[41]
Various people have praised Flash over the years for rendering consistently across platforms. Constructing sites in Flash is a way to prevent code forking, whereby different versions of a site are created for different browsers.[48][49]
Speaking at 'Adobe Max' in 2011, Itai Asseo likewise said that, unlike HTML 5, Flash offers a way to develop applications that work across platforms. HTML 5, he said, is currently implemented differently (if at all) by different browsers. Although the Flash browser plugin is not supported on the Apple iPhone OS, Flash applications can be exported to Adobe AIR, which runs on that operating system as a native application. In the same talk, Mr. Asseo lamented the return to another browser war (as seen in the late 1990s). If Flash falls out of favor, he said, web developers will either have to develop many different versions of their web sites and native applications to take into account different HTML 5 implementations, deny access to browsers that do not support their version of HTML, or dramatically reduce the functionality of their sites in order to deliver content to the least-advanced browser.[50]

Looks like Flash will be around for a loooong time...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Learn to like it.. :twisted:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 am

Yep, like Obama, you just "learn to like it" ! :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 pm

One can learn to like Obama???? :?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:43 am

Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 am

:shock: :lol:

I KNEW it!! Best Conspiracy Theory...EVER!!! 8) :moon: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:05 pm

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Is there an IE10 or 11 that will install on Vista or is it stuck on IE9 just as XP is stuck on IE8 ?
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 am

IE 10 is for W7 and up, so not for Vista.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am

Finally a good reason to use Vista :twisted:
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 am

They ( M$ ) could make it work on Vista ( same Kernel as W7 ) if they wanted to, but they choose not to, to help force users into "upgrading" to W8 ( or at least W7 ) in order to use their latest browser:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn ... uck-123779

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/why-wont ... vista/3132

I don't expect there to be any great outcry when Vista fades away. But knowing that end-of-life date helps answer one mystery that puzzled some Microsoft watchers this week. Why does the platform preview of Internet Explorer 10 throw up an error message if you try to run it on Windows Vista? Maybe it's because, if the newly announced browser follows the same development schedule as IE9, its scheduled ship date will be a year from now—after Windows Vista is retired.

Decoding Microsoft's cryptic product support lifecycle isn't easy. Even experienced Microsoft watchers sometimes get tripped up by the many conditions that apply. Service packs and browsers complicate the issue even more. Shortly after Windows 7 shipped, I wrote How long will Microsoft support XP, Vista, and Windows 7? and assembled those dates into a table, which is still accurate.

Will the release of a new version of Internet Explorer change those plans? Nope. Here's why.

As the Microsoft Support Lifecycle blog helpfully explained in a 2009 post, Internet Explorer is a “component.” That distinction is important in terms of support dates:

Under the Support Lifecycle policy, we support components with the product or service pack that it shipped for. … Internet Explorer is considered as a component of the operating system (OS) for which it was released. The support timelines for IE are inherited from the OS and its associated service packs. Basically, this means that the versions of Internet Explorer that shipped for a specific OS or service pack will be supported with the support lifecycle of the OS or service pack.

As per the policy, we will not end support [for] previous versions of Internet Explorer on supported operating system versions.

When Windows Vista shifts into its extended support phase next year, that also means the end of the line for any version of Internet Explorer that was released for it. Because the extended support phase lasts another five years, you don't have to worry about security updates for Windows Vista and its supported browsers—even Internet Explorer 7. But you won't get anything new.

It's possible, of course, that Microsoft will allow the final version of IE 10 to install on Windows Vista. But it's also reasonable for them to push web developers to test its platform previews on the latest and greatest Windows, which will be around until January, 2015.

I'm assuming (reasonably, I think) that Windows 8 will still be several months away from its official release when April 2012 rolls around, If that's true, it means that Microsoft will, at least briefly, have only one version of Windows that it's actively supporting.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Celt wrote:Finally a good reason to use Vista :twisted:

So I take it you don't care for IE 10 :lol:

Yeah well still on vista for a while.. bought a new sofa instead of a new motherboard.
it was probably the right thing to do since I got it at 50% off. :mrgreen:
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm

You chose comfort over new computer parts !!??? :shock: :fist: :evil:

Bad Silver, BAD!!

BTW, I found a pic of your new couch here:

Or did you get this one instead? :

It's not that I "hate" IE 10 ( it is a tad faster than IE 9 in browser benchmarks ), but I do "hate" how incompatible it is with older website/apps... :fist: :evil: :x

BTW, you are still using Vista eh? I recommend Windows 7 if you ever decide to upgrade your OS, or just wait for Windows 9 to come out... :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Celt wrote:Finally a good reason to use Vista :twisted:

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to General Software Forum