Blakes 7

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Blakes 7

Postby clone » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 am

so after some comments about a new Blakes 7 were mentioned and personally having never heard of the show I did a quick look on Youtube and found that several episodes are up.

I've watched 8 so far and I've got to say the show is really good, it's an example of a show that shines despite the limited budget that plagues it and it's age.

space battles are tense not because we see "splosions" but because of simple camera tricks and great dialogue, minor effects go a long way and the characters are what really shine, the plots are more complex than Star Trek of old.

really entertaining show to watch.

sadly and as usual the entertainment industry isn't really willing to sell the show and instead is demanding too much for it ..... while a great show, it's old and shows it which should be reflected in the price as well.
I'm sure the fanboys will pay whatever but if fanboys mattered then AMD stock would be $10 per share and not $2, the latter Star Wars prequels would have done 5X more at the box office and the 3d editions 20X better than they did, instead while they did make a profit the hopes were for Titanic style profits which they never came close to getting.

Blakes 7 is worth $10 per season, $30-$35 for the set preferably in a bargain bin at the grocery store, not because it's a bad show at it's core but because it's so brutally outdated and their is nothing onscreen to justify the extra cost, instead they want $30+ per season $140+ for the set.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Re: Blakes 7

Postby Celt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:14 am

Yup typically commercial cashinery . . . the cult status makes it worth more than it is . . . have a loo for some out takes if they are out there - they have shown a few on UK outtake shows and you will see just how "cheap" the production had to be at times . . .

Notable though Blakes 7 was one of the first TV programmes to use the venerable Quantel Paintbox for FX . . . gee remember that?
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby clone » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 am

I don't know about the "Cult Status" thing, I get the impression it's pride that keeps prices on some projects much higher than others.

with regards to the Star Trek franchise I'm absolutely certain of it, no one is hungry and they feel entitled, pride is why everyone doesn't own it.

take for example "SOAP" the series... you can get the whole thing for $40, very popular show in it's day, the reason I bring it up was because some ppl were laughing about it during a "remember when" discussion at work..... I'd totally forgotten about that show but still have fond memories of it once I was reminded.

I mentioned to them "well why not buy it if you loved it so much?"... no one knew how much it was so I said I'd find out and sure enough it's less than $40 which was a little more than they were willing to cough up for such an old show.

I suspect the same is the case with Balkes 7..... yeah fanboys will pay but they are few and far between, additionally that's what limited editions are for.

Blakes 7 has been gone for quite a while.... criminy much of it's audience is dead... literally, dead and it's not like a new Blakes 7 will revitalize the old series or significantly boost it's street value..... just sayin.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Celt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:28 am

cult status in the UK only . . . should have pointed that out, and most of them were the teens-30 brigade, so most of them are still around like myself. That said the last season was getting poor once (spoiler alert) the lierator was destroyed, and Blake "disappeared" fans started to get disillusioned.

Still it will be interesting to see what Syfy do with it . . . the premise was good, and modern CGI will be spanking . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Almost can't wait...but am scared they won't match the level of greatness the original has..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby clone » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 pm

so the series managed to hold up for 3 seasons before it started to fall?

that's good news actually as many shows fall apart much sooner.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Return to The Lounge