Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Who's Ecosystem?

Apple
1
14%
Google
4
57%
Microsoft
2
29%
 
Total votes : 7

Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Fuzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 pm

All 3 have hardware/software/data operations and are considered to be the Big 3. Most people end up with a mix of devices, but they also rely far more heavily on one of them. I've used Apple, Microsoft and Google, and though my PC is Microsoft, I rely most heavily on Google. Gmail, Google Reader(daily) Maps and Earth, chat, finance, calendar, Youtube . . . my friend even gave me an Android phone that I will use as a Wifi only phone. I have an iPod, but its no longer my primary, and really don't use Apple for anything else. I stay way from Microsoft services, though I guess I use Skype daily.

All the companies are evil in one way or another, but if you want to play the game, you kinda have to pick one.
Who do you use for the majority of your needs?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
Image
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater
 
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:38 am
Location: Calgary, Canada

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:22 am

I use a mix.. MS for Office, Google to search. And on the tablets it's Android, so I guess that's Google too..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34519
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Stupify » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 am

i go with Google simply because of the number of options you have in terms of manufacturers. Google in mobile is like Microsoft in PC world. Apple and Microsoft are sort of like the Apple and IBM in the old days.
What goes around comes around with interest!
User avatar
Stupify
Moderator
 
Posts: 9195
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Celt » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:24 am

I obviously am forced down the MS route by an employer, but given complete freedom of choice I would have none of the above.
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
Image
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
User avatar
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod
 
Posts: 9708
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of Concrete Cows

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:35 am

I have no need or interest for neither Google nor Apple items or services so i´m stuck mostly with MS.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
Image
User avatar
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon
 
Posts: 15140
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby veli05 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:I have no need or interest for neither Google nor Apple items or services so i´m stuck mostly with MS.


You use a MS phone?
veli05
Full Member
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 am

veli05 wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:I have no need or interest for neither Google nor Apple items or services so i´m stuck mostly with MS.


You use a MS phone?

Hardly. My cellphone isn´t even capable of running anything like that. It´s, what, 7 years old by now or something...
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
Image
User avatar
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon
 
Posts: 15140
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 pm

I use Google or DuckDuckGo : https://duckduckgo.com/ ( anonymous searching ) for web searches.

I use MS Office simply because it is the best Office Suite and everybody else ( mostly ) uses it too, so to be compatible with everyone else's documents I have to use Office... the OpenSource alternatives have too many compatibility issues importing and exporting genuine M$ Office files ( in my experience ) so I gave up on that route years ago... too bad...

I don't own a smart/cellphone although I do use a friends smartphone ( HTC One , Samsung Galaxy S3, etc. ) from time to time just to stay on top of things technically...

I want to buy a cheap Android ( v.4 ) tablet to play around with, my friend has one, you can buy them new for $100 these days ( single core cpu, 512 MB ram, good enough ) with a 10" screen!! Sure they are very limited in what they can do, but you can check email on them through WiFi connection, and they are handy when you are outside ( but within range of your WiFi router, or near a public WiFi hotspot etc. ) and want to search something online, or check email etc...basically just a toy, but an inexpensive toy...Android App Store is not too bad either, lots of free crap to dl from there and play around with... :D

I try to avoid the Apple ecosystem as much as I can... I think their hw is overpriced, and I hate their "closed proprietary" ecosystem, and how they like to charge for everything ( sw apps ) ...not much is "free" in the Crapple world, and I prefer to use competitor's solution ( Android ) when and where possible...yes I am biased, but I have reason to be!! :twisted:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33635
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Byyydeewayyyy,

Btw, Fuzz, you will be happy to learn that you can still access the "old" weddernetwurk.com website here mon!! :

http://past.theweathernetwork.com/

Just save your city and it will appear exactly as before! 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33635
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:09 am

Hammer_Time wrote:I use Google or DuckDuckGo : https://duckduckgo.com/ ( anonymous searching ) for web searches.

I use MS Office simply because it is the best Office Suite and everybody else ( mostly ) uses it too, so to be compatible with everyone else's documents I have to use Office... the OpenSource alternatives have too many compatibility issues importing and exporting genuine M$ Office files ( in my experience ) so I gave up on that route years ago... too bad...

I don't own a smart/cellphone although I do use a friends smartphone ( HTC One , Samsung Galaxy S3, etc. ) from time to time just to stay on top of things technically...

I want to buy a cheap Android ( v.4 ) tablet to play around with, my friend has one, you can buy them new for $100 these days ( single core cpu, 512 MB ram, good enough ) with a 10" screen!! Sure they are very limited in what they can do, but you can check email on them through WiFi connection, and they are handy when you are outside ( but within range of your WiFi router, or near a public WiFi hotspot etc. ) and want to search something online, or check email etc...basically just a toy, but an inexpensive toy...Android App Store is not too bad either, lots of free crap to dl from there and play around with... :D

I try to avoid the Apple ecosystem as much as I can... I think their hw is overpriced, and I hate their "closed proprietary" ecosystem, and how they like to charge for everything ( sw apps ) ...not much is "free" in the Crapple world, and I prefer to use competitor's solution ( Android ) when and where possible...yes I am biased, but I have reason to be!! :twisted:


I now have 3 Android tabs of which one by Samsung (the Tab2).
All are 10", all have dual core CPU's and there's little that won't work on them.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34519
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu May 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Good alternatives to Google:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... CMP=twt_gu

How to stop using Google - for search, email, video, maps and more

If you want to take a stand over tax, Google will only notice if it doesn't get your attention. Here are some usable alternatives

Want to show Google that you don't approve of its tax-avoidance tactics? From its humble beginnings as a project at Stanford University, the company has grown into one which has become almost unavoidable online – and in some cases offline, as it also owns the loss-making Motorola Mobility mobile phone maker.

So how do you go about avoiding Google?
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33635
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri May 03, 2013 12:25 am

But do they avoid taxes in an illegal manner?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34519
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Celt » Fri May 03, 2013 2:36 am

No just an unethical one . . . they pay "licence fees" to one of their "subsidiaries" in a country where corporation tax is far lower . . . the "fees" are almost exactly what their profits are in the UK . . . no profits, no tax, convenient eh?
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
Image
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
User avatar
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod
 
Posts: 9708
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of Concrete Cows

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Silver » Fri May 03, 2013 11:57 am

Voted MS since I use them for OS and Office.. the alternative for office, would probably be Corel Office or Word Perfect office (both owned by Corel).

Using Google for searching... was a long time since I used anything else.. I used to use Copernic software wich searched a number of search engines to find the most relevant searches... but I wonder if its still relevant today.
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
User avatar
Silver
X-bit Guru
 
Posts: 3739
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:26 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 am

Celt wrote:No just an unethical one . . . they pay "licence fees" to one of their "subsidiaries" in a country where corporation tax is far lower . . . the "fees" are almost exactly what their profits are in the UK . . . no profits, no tax, convenient eh?


Here government is thinking to change the laws so these scenarios are prevented.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34519
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Stupify » Sun May 05, 2013 5:55 am

^^ all governments should be doing that - you make X money here then you pay taxes on the X money, not "transferring" money to another company.
What goes around comes around with interest!
User avatar
Stupify
Moderator
 
Posts: 9195
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Celt » Sun May 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Exactly . . . The loophole is that these transfers are recorded as "costs". Starbucks and Google are the two most in the spotlight over this.
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
Image
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
User avatar
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod
 
Posts: 9708
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of Concrete Cows

Re: Apple, Microsoft or Google?

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 07, 2013 12:02 pm

That's what the new law is about: not everything can be booked as mere costs anymore.
If it ever passes..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34519
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm


Return to General Software Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests