Seagate STBD4000400

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Seagate STBD4000400

Postby nosirrahx » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Seagate seems to be going out of their way to get people to believe that this is a 7200 RPM drive.

They have no RPM info on their own page:

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... uda/specs/

and if you google for STBD4000400 and 7200 RPM you can find many cases where it is listed as a 7200 RPM drive.

The facebook rep is even on record saying that it is 7200 RPM:

http://www.facebook.com/seagatesupport/ ... ment_reply

Its not until you get to people actually reviewing the drive do you see that it is 5900 RPM mentioned:

http://theharddriveblog.blogspot.com/20 ... -hard.html

However unlike the Barracuda drives this particular model is a 5,900 rpm drive.Yes a 5,900 rpm spindle speed disk drive.I was surprised myself as Seagate makes no note of the spindle speed on their packaging or on their website data that this drive is a 5,900 rpm drive
nosirrahx

Re: Seagate STBD4000400

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm

:lol: Seagate is purposely not labelling the drive speed anywhere to "fool" their customers into assuming it is a 4 TB 7200rpm drive since they do make a 3 TB 7200rpm drive currently:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148844

X-bit labs actually published this news a day ago! :wink: :twisted:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/di ... rives.html

Seagate Begins to Use 1TB Platters for 4TB Hard Disk Drives.
Seagate Quietly Adds 4TB Hard Disk Drive with 5900rpm into Lineup
[04/04/2013 11:23 PM]
by Anton Shilov

Although Seagate told journalists that its four-platter 4TB hard drive with 5900rpm spindle speed is an industry’s first, HGST (a division of Western Digital Corp.) has been shipping such a drive for around 1.5 years already. Moreover, HGST has been offering five-platter 4TB drive with 7200rpm spindle speed for over a year as well.

Still, the ST4000DM000 can still be considered as unique: it is the only non-7200rpm desktop hard drive in Seagate’s lineup. Back in November, 2011, the company canned all desktop hard drives with low spindle speed in order to concentrate on high-performance HDDs. As it appears, Seagate now has to return “slow” hard drives to the market in order to provide 4TB option.

The new Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB is available widely already for $190 - $210 in the U.S.

Thanks for the headsup though!! 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:02 am

At least it's not mis-information..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:31 am

No, but lack of information is sometimes nearly as bad as the wrong information.

This is the ONLY 5900rpm drive in Seagates HDD lineup, all the rest are 7200 rpm.

EDIT/ Seagate has apologized and corrected their information on their FB page, they also pointed out that this similar model is also a 5900 rpm drive too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822178338

Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$189.99

Those are the only two 5900rpm desktop hdd's currently in Seagate's desktop lineup... / END EDIT

The competition has had a 7200rpm 4 TB drive out now for a while now too...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822236407

Western Digital WD Black WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$299.99

So by not labelling their new 4 TB drive, Seagate knows that most consumers will automatically think it is 7200rpm because of the above factors...

Plus, Seagate's Support FB page linked above shows they are LYING to the public and claiming the drive is 7200rpm when it is in fact 5900 rpm. Either the tech who wrote it is completely ignorant and made a mistake, or is purposely trying to mislead the public into buying the drive thinking it is 7200 rpm... not cool... I actually linked the articles proving it is 7200 rpm on Seagate Support FB page but they deleted them right away...hmmm

https://www.facebook.com/seagatesupport ... ment_reply

However, I also posted the X-bit labs article link on Seagate's "main" FB page and it is still there today as I just checked it... so mebbe commenting was "closed" on the Support page link above, but FB allowed me to post there and I saw it posted immediately after pressing the Enter key, but when hitting the refresh button in my browser on that support page after then my posts would disappear (!?) ...so something is blocking my posts on that support page or they have it set for no more comments , not sure...disturbing though...

It is not a "bad" drive, but this public deception about the drive's speed by Seagate is very bad, a black mark on them for doing this... I think I will be sticking to WD drives in the future ( for large hdd data storage, not for SSD of course ).

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/03/seagat ... latters-2/

Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013

Seagate will be shipping a 4TB hard drive that has the distinction of being the world’s first to include a 1TB per platter design. This basically means that each spinning disk in the hard drive has a capacity of 1TB, and that there are four of them.

It’s not everyday that you can claim to that have something that’s the “world’s first”, so don’t be too hard on Seagate.

This certainly isn’t the first hard drive to have a 4TB capacity, but apparently the new 1TB per platter design significantly increases the hard drive’s performance over the competition. It consumes 35 percent less power than comparable drives on the market with 4TB capacities, and at 145MB/s, it has the highest average data rate as well.

But most importantly, the new design will also bring down costs. A hard drive in an external casing can be had for $212, while just the bare drive will cost around $190.

So instead of using 800 GB x 5 platters to reach 4 TB , they use 4 x 1 TB platters which reduces heat, noise and power consumption.

The drive costs roughly $100 less than the WD Black 4 TB 7200rpm drive, uses 35% less power, and has comparable data transfer rates... it is a winner as a NAS drive, affordable ...

Seagate should be highlighting the fact it is 5900 rpm, not try to hide it!!! It is an advantage for the 3 reasons given above...a very affordable 4 TB drive with decent performance, less noise and power consumption than competition, not to mention affordable!! Thus it amazes me that they are trying to "hide" the fact that their new 4.0 TB drive is 5900 rpm... that is a decent speed for a very large efficient affordable NAS ( data storage ) drive!!

BTW, where is the WD RED 4.0 TB drive?? They promised us this drive when they launched their RED 3.0 TB drive a while ago...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822236344

There will be a 5.0 TB RED drive by the end of this year! :

http://www.techpowerup.com/176543/Weste ... -2013.html

Monday, December 3rd 2012

Western Digital WD Green and WD Red Series Get 5 TB Models in Late 2013

It will be towards the end of 2013, when Western Digital will have 5 terabyte (or 5000 GB) models of its NAS-optimized WD Red, and energy-efficient consumer-optimized WD Green lines of consumer hard drives. According to launch plans unearthed by Russian website AlwaysMoreDigital, the 5 TB WD Red (model: WD50ERFX) and 5 TB WD Green (WD50EZRX) will be launched in Q4 (in or after October 2013). A little earlier than that, the two lines will be updated with 4 TB variants, the WD40ERFX and WD40EZRX. All four drives feature 64 MB of cache, SATA 6 Gb/s interface, and are built in the 3.5-inch form-factor.

If that is true, then we can expect the 4.0 TB WD RED drive sometime in August or September this year, followed by the 5.0 TB version in or just after October this year! 8) Bring it!!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby nosirrahx » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:05 am

For me this whole thing started when I went looking at 4TB drives (doing a build for a friend that does photo and video editing) and wanted to keep his prices down. IF that Seagate drive was 7200 RPM it would hands down be the best bang for the $ at that storage capacity. On newegg I could not find the RPM listed so I went searching online and that is where I started seeing the serious lack of consistent information.

In my mind they knew exactly what they were doing and beyond the dishonest business practices I am really pissed that they think so little of their fans.
nosirrahx

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:16 am

Yes, I am quite disgusted with them for this coverup approach, and it is terrible that their own tech gives out false information right on Seagate's official FB "Support" page !! ( called it a 7200rpm drive when it is clearly a 5900 rpm drive ), that is horrible and he/she should be disciplined for it!! :fist:

After all, the WD RED drives only spin at 5400 rpm and they are still good performers due to their large caches and algorithms and decent NAS fw:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6157/west ... -premium/2

How does the WD Red achieve power optimization? The secret lies in IntelliPower. The WD Red drives spin at 5400 rpm as per the analysis done by the folks at SPCR. It is the combination of these features which allow the WD Reds to balance performance and also reduce power.

These drives are perfect for NAS applications, why try to hide the truth?? Greedy Seagate... Bad Seagate... :fist: :evil:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:11 am

Hammer_Time wrote:No, but lack of information is sometimes nearly as bad as the wrong information.

This is the ONLY 5900rpm drive in Seagates HDD lineup, all the rest are 7200 rpm.

So by not labelling their new 4 TB drive, Seagate knows that most consumers will automatically think it is 7200rpm...

But why isn't it..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 am

Hammer_Time wrote:There will be a 5.0 TB RED drive by the end of this year! :

http://www.techpowerup.com/176543/Weste ... -2013.html

Monday, December 3rd 2012

Western Digital WD Green and WD Red Series Get 5 TB Models in Late 2013

It will be towards the end of 2013, when Western Digital will have 5 terabyte (or 5000 GB) models of its NAS-optimized WD Red, and energy-efficient consumer-optimized WD Green lines of consumer hard drives. According to launch plans unearthed by Russian website AlwaysMoreDigital, the 5 TB WD Red (model: WD50ERFX) and 5 TB WD Green (WD50EZRX) will be launched in Q4 (in or after October 2013). A little earlier than that, the two lines will be updated with 4 TB variants, the WD40ERFX and WD40EZRX. All four drives feature 64 MB of cache, SATA 6 Gb/s interface, and are built in the 3.5-inch form-factor.

If that is true, then we can expect the 4.0 TB WD RED drive sometime in August or September this year, followed by the 5.0 TB version in or just after October this year! 8) Bring it!!

Lol, I can't even fill up a 500 GB drive.. but then I don't d/l movies etc..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:At least it's not mis-information..

Well.. it almost is.. clicking specifications on their website list everything important *except RPM* wich is a very common aspect to look at when choosing a harddisk drive. :?

Im also quite sure that it has been mentioned somewhere that WD Red is a WD Green with different firmware.

Sauron_Daz wrote:Lol, I can't even fill up a 500 GB drive.. but then I don't d/l movies etc..

Atleast your not a packrat then :mrgreen:
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Pron requires Terabytes of storage!! :twisted: :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Silver wrote:
Sauron_Daz wrote:At least it's not mis-information..

Well.. it almost is.. clicking specifications on their website list everything important *except RPM* wich is a very common aspect to look at when choosing a harddisk drive. :?

Im also quite sure that it has been mentioned somewhere that WD Red is a WD Green with different firmware.

Sauron_Daz wrote:Lol, I can't even fill up a 500 GB drive.. but then I don't d/l movies etc..

Atleast your not a packrat then :mrgreen:

No, I'm not..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Pron requires Terabytes of storage!! :twisted: :)

And you know this...how? :twisted: :twisted:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Nice packrat pic!! :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:40 pm

It was the only usable result..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:22 am

Seagate Support has apologized and corrected the wrong info on their FB page now:

Seagate Support We'd like to:

1) Apologize for providing incorrect information. Most times we rely on the same documentation that is available on the website. When this information is not present, we must ask individuals that typically have this information.

2) Clarify that the STBD4000400 and ST4000DM000 are 5900 RPM drives.

While we do not have specifics as to why this is not published, we do know that spindle speed is becoming a less important determining factor for drive performance. Drive speed is beginning to fall in the way of factors for performance due to aerial density, cache size, and read/write optimization.

Again, we apologize, and admit the mistake. We have edited our original response to ONLY add that we have updated the information down here.

Thanks to Seagate for this, an appropriate apology and explanation. While spindle speed is becoming a less important determining factor for drive performance, it still is a factor ( affects access time more than any other performance parameter ) and the customer deserves to know what the spindle speed of the drive they are purchasing is, if they are interested in knowing it... cheers!

/ Rant Off /

:wink: :twisted: :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 am

Good. I wonder if Apple would ever post a apology like this..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum