pc hanging and then constant beep

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

pc hanging and then constant beep

Postby tommytee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm

hi all,
need some fresh thoughts on this please,

Problem:
my pc starting acting up recently, boots fine and goes straight into WinXp, everthing is normal for about 15 mins,
Then the problem starts:
initially it begins like this, i can toggle between programs but cannot select anything from the menu or do anthing on the programs - even if its as basic as notepad, then it completely freezes and i geta constant beep (if beeps can be constant ;-))
Then I have to power off at the PSU.

What I tried:
Installed speedfan, Cpu temp was about 40C (old AMD X2 CPU)
Removed heatsink/fan and the CPU from MB.
cleaned with off old thermal paste from cpu and heatsink
Added new thermal paste
cleanded fans and inners with compressed air,
Started up PC, everytbign seemed fine again until it froze and made sound.

So I dont think it could be the cpu overheating,

Event viewer is not indicating anything out of the ordinary,

any thoughts ??
Thanks
Tommytee
tommytee

Re: pc hanging and then constant beep

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Most likely your old power supply is failing here... if not then the mobo is most likely failing...( also vidcard or ram ) could be other stuff but those two are the most likely culprits here in an older system such as yours. You said MS Event Viewer gave no results, but have you checked the "System Event Log" in detail?, it should show you an error code just before the system locked up on you, assume you having logging enabled in XP of course...

Borrow/replace the psu and see what happens...good luck!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Could be ram too. I'd run memtest86. Id does sound like something is heat-failing. Is there a fan on the chipset? Check that the heatsink is secure on it, and maybe put your finger on it after it has heated/rebooted, see if it is burning up. I've had a couple of those heatsinks come loose and cause overheating. Also had to put fans on one of the AMD ones that ran particularly hot.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby clone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 pm

agreed with above, if you have a discrete video card check to see if it's fan (if it has one) is spinning... may be the problem.

if the fan is indeed siezed then pulling the stock fan out of the heatsink and adding an 80mm directed at the video card from below and blowing up using some bent slot covers custom drilled is a really cheap fix.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:26 am

Try reinstalling WinXP but empty you hard drive first by copying files/programs you wish to retain first to whatever you can put them on. Next put in the installation disk and have it at least format your current C-drive before installing.
If after the reinstall problems persist, then we can start looking for hardware errors.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 am

Hmmm...could be corrupt windows of course, worth a try here as Sauron says!

The fact that the mobo "beeps" out an error code ( constant beep as he says ) leads me to think this is most likely a hw problem , but a fresh install of Windows never hurts in situations like this!!

Constant beep typically means hw failure ( most likely but not limited to: failing motherboard, power supply, ram, video card ( not in any particular order there ). Since his system will boot up after a hard boot and run fine for about 15 minutes, this leads me to wonder if he is having an overheating issue ( video card, memory, or northbridge chip ) as others have pointed out already in this thread...possible...

Unhook EVERYTHING to eliminate possibility of a loose connection, replug it all back together firmly. See if it happens again, if it does, then format and reinstall Windows fresh, and check again...if it still does it you deffo have a hw failure on your hands...

Gotta agree with the power supply theory. My computer started that crap when i installed a video card that was too powerful for my 350 watt. It was alerting me that there wasn’t enough power for it and my two hard drives. I ended up upgrading, and the beeping has stopped.
of course, this could be anything hardware related, but the most common I think is lack of power.

If a fresh reinstall of Windows does not cure the beep, then replace the psu first...my recommendation...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby tommytee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm

thanks Folks, some great comments and suggestions here,
I am getting a second psu/video card froma a buddy in the next day or so I'll know quickly enough, i do have a slave hd in the pc that has a c partition (with windows) so i could try that ratehr than reformatting the current Hd
i'll post the results later in week,
Thanks
Tommytee
tommytee

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Check if BIOS is set to warn for overheating. The standard for that is a "constant regular beeping".

I remember that all too well from my previous system, the cpu sensors were giving high readings and the motherboard sensor setting choices were VERY low(IIRC the highest was 65C or something, for Athlon XP that was just not realistic), so i had to turn it off because even light usage would make it give occasional beeps.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Ah yes, I remember many old P4 "toasters" that would also do the same thing ( overheat warning temp beep ) once they exceeded the safe temp set in the mobo bios... :P

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 pm

That's another good idea, Dire. That's the thing with computers! They can fail in so many dastardly ways. Its like playing Sherlock following the clues to the mystery. Some days you solve the mystery, and some days the mystery solves you.

/wait, that last bit didn't make any sense.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:30 am

:lol:

You must fix the computer before the computer "fixes" you!! :wink: :lol:

I just went through a similar situation here, turned out to be a bad psu...and after replacing psu then found that FireFox v.19 crashing my Windoze BSOD...got rid of FF and system has been 100% stable ever since!! :scout: 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:29 am

Fuzz wrote:That's another good idea, Dire. That's the thing with computers! They can fail in so many dastardly ways. Its like playing Sherlock following the clues to the mystery. Some days you solve the mystery, and some days the mystery solves you.

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:Check if BIOS is set to warn for overheating. The standard for that is a "constant regular beeping".

I remember that all too well from my previous system, the cpu sensors were giving high readings and the motherboard sensor setting choices were VERY low(IIRC the highest was 65C or something, for Athlon XP that was just not realistic), so i had to turn it off because even light usage would make it give occasional beeps.

I have used an Athlon XP but never had any temp problem.. But I never used the included HSF as well...always an aftermarket one.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:43 am

Hammer_Time wrote::lol:

You must fix the computer before the computer "fixes" you!! :wink: :lol:

I just went through a similar situation here, turned out to be a bad psu...and after replacing psu then found that FireFox v.19 crashing my Windoze BSOD...got rid of FF and system has been 100% stable ever since!! :scout: 8)

FF was crashing you Windows BSOD??????????
:mrgreen:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 am

Yep, crashed my Windoze WITH the BSOD! - Event Viewer pointed to FF crashing, and I had just clicked on the FF icon to launch it when it immediately caused my system to crash and turn itself completely off... it borked my Windows badly when that happened, video driver no workie after, had to do full fresh install of W7 to get things "right" again. No more FF on my system, and no more problems here...your mileage may vary...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
I have used an Athlon XP but never had any temp problem.. But I never used the included HSF as well...always an aftermarket one.

Oh my aftermarket HSF were pretty decent, although i had to switch from the ones i bought first because they were about 1-2mm too big in the wrong direction, had it been possible to mount them 90 degree shifted, they would have worked fine.
It was just that the BIOS settings were low AND the sensors in the cpu were giving high readings at the same time.

That's another good idea, Dire. That's the thing with computers! They can fail in so many dastardly ways. Its like playing Sherlock following the clues to the mystery. Some days you solve the mystery, and some days the mystery solves you.

:mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Yep, crashed my Windoze WITH the BSOD! - Event Viewer pointed to FF crashing, and I had just clicked on the FF icon to launch it when it immediately caused my system to crash and turn itself completely off... it borked my Windows badly when that happened, video driver no workie after, had to do full fresh install of W7 to get things "right" again. No more FF on my system, and no more problems here...your mileage may vary...

I don't use FF, so no mileage. :D
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Technical Support