Latest Mozilla FireFox v. 19.0.2 crashing badly...

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Latest Mozilla FireFox v. 19.0.2 crashing badly...

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm

I let my FF browser auto-update itself. It updated to latest 19.0.2 a few days ago... ( previous version 18 was pretty stable on my system Win7 Ultimate 64-bit )

Lately every time , or nearly ever time I open up FF ( my primary browser is Maxthon 3 but I like to use FF and Chrome as well... Chrome handles all my numerous youtube bookmarks better so I use it for that, and I like to use FF the odd time just to see what is going with the latest developments and to check that my pics are displaying properly on these forums ( pics not in that browsers cache ) ). Anyhoo, ever since FF upgraded from v. 18 to 19 it has sucked badly, crashing all the time, especially ( but not limited to ) when I close the browser...

Others have found the same problem with v. 19 :

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mai ... osing.html

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit

Firefox 19.0.2 Crashes Immediately After Closing

Mozilla doesn't seem to have a clue what's causing the crashes.
I'm running only one other app which is the newest Flash (from Adobe website).

The faulting module is XUL.DLL.
Attatched a couple of files from Event Viewer.
The "after close" crash is sporadic (maybe once every two or three days).
Anyone have an idea ?

So dunno if it is latest Flash player ( I don't have Adobe Flash Player installed on my system but latest Chrome and FF include their own Flash Player objects to be able to playback flash videos anyways, mebbe this is the problem, their builtin Flash player...dunno... ).

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/953082

Firefox 19.0.2 freezes, locks up for 30 to 90 seconds when on YouTube or certain other pages.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2124723

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mai ... thing.html

etc...

I am trying some of the tips that Mozilla recommends to fix browser crashes as listed here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... d-get-help

Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Latest Mozilla FireFox v. 19.0.2 crashing badly...

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 am

I don't have anything on auto update...but on notice. So I can look for issues (on the internet) before installing them.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 am

That is what I will have to do from now on... to protect myself from these headaches... :P

GRRRRRRRRRRR When FF crashed on me before causing my pc to turn itself off immediately, I had OpenVPN running at the time and Maxthon browser...

Now OpenVPN won't connect at all, keeps saying:

No server certificate verification method has been enabled

error message over and over again while trying to connect...

So when FF crashed my pc it screwed up the certificates on my pc...argh... spent 2 hours just now trying to reinstall certificates, generating keys for OpenVPN, uninstalling and reinstalling OpenVPN ( manually deleting its program folder since its crappy uninstall program does not do that automatically... ) etc...no help, same error message...I did a System Restore in W7 , nothing helps...its borked... also getting certificate error messages in Maxthon browser after clearing history/cache and reinstalling it as well...Windows was not too happy to crash with OpenVPN running, that much is for sure!! I even used iobit_uninstaller utility to fully uninstall OpenVPN and get rid of its folders and registry entries completely, but even that did not help...

I give up, I am going to have to reinstall Windows fresh once again here... too bad, I finally had this installation working perfect in every way for me until FF screwed me.. I am no longer going to use FF at all anymore, way too risky...they release superflaky versions too often that crash not just the browser, but my whole computer!! Chrome and Maxthon never do that, they just crash themselves, not my OS... so am not installing FF ever again, Chrome and Maxthon work fine and are faster anyways...no more FF woes for me...not looking forward to another full fresh install of W7, but have no choice now, can't get this fixed any other way it seems...stupid certificates... :fist: :x :cry: :cry: :cry:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:34 am

Ah, I just got OpenVPN working again!!

You cannot simply "uninstall" and "reinstall" OpenVPN cuz it does not properly remove the Microsoft virtual TAP driver from Device Manager-->network adapters ( view hidden objects ) when you uninstall OpenVPN....argh.. you have to do it manually...

Programs-->TAP-Windows-->Utilities---> Add a new TAP virtual ethernet Adapter ( click on that ) , it installs a new TAP driver for you...

Now OpenVPN is working properly once again, green lights, same as before...whew!!

I also fixed Maxthon browser's certificates error message, so all is golden once again!! :D 8)

So glad I did not have to reload Windows fresh...the horror... :whistle:

BTW, FF is now deleted from my system and it will stay that way... I used to like FF a lot in the past, but it is just way too buggy for me these days and I don't trust it at all anymore after the last few versions have badly crashed my system...no other browser causes my OS to fully crash like FF does...not something to be proud of...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Stupify » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:35 am

H_T, i have FF crashes more because of the flash plugin too. uninstall both and then reinstall latest versions of both.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Celt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:35 am

I stopped auto updating FF ages ago . . . I'm afraid the quality control is shite nowadays . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:36 am

Celt wrote:I stopped auto updating FF ages ago . . . I'm afraid the quality control is shite nowadays . . .

Running version 16 here. But only use it for a handful of sites anyway. Seamonkey is my standard browser.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Fuzz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:04 am

Still on firefox. . .rarely crashes at home. My work one crashes more often. It also has this neat way of crashing windows file explorer. I'm not sure how it manages t do it, but I am pretty sure it is firefox. I haven't changed because I have it setup the way I like, and I'm really lazy! Also, wicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_AWpLVxWY
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:23 am

Fuzz wrote:Still on firefox. . .rarely crashes at home. My work one crashes more often. It also has this neat way of crashing windows file explorer. I'm not sure how it manages t do it, but I am pretty sure it is firefox. I haven't changed because I have it setup the way I like, and I'm really lazy! Also, wicked.

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:28 am

Celt wrote:I stopped auto updating FF ages ago . . . I'm afraid the quality control is shite nowadays . . .

That is not limited to FF only..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 am

i am on FF 17.0 and have no crash related problems. The only problem i have with it is the hardware acceleration with scrolling. If I attach and use a different mouse than i was using when i opened up FF then the scrolling is miserably slow. The solution is simple - restart FF, but not a nice one as I should have to do it in the first place.
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Stupify wrote:H_T, i have FF crashes more because of the flash plugin too. uninstall both and then reinstall latest versions of both.

Fixed!! Uninstalled FF and won't be reinstalling it!! :twisted: :scout: :lol: :mrgreen:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Fuzz wrote:Still on firefox. . .rarely crashes at home. My work one crashes more often. It also has this neat way of crashing windows file explorer. I'm not sure how it manages t do it, but I am pretty sure it is firefox. I haven't changed because I have it setup the way I like, and I'm really lazy! Also, wicked.

That is my theme song!! Bookmarked!! 8) :lol: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Stupify wrote:i am on FF 17.0 and have no crash related problems. The only problem i have with it is the hardware acceleration with scrolling. If I attach and use a different mouse than i was using when i opened up FF then the scrolling is miserably slow. The solution is simple - restart FF, but not a nice one as I should have to do it in the first place.

Version 18 worked okay for me, but Version 19 is just horrid... I should not have let it autoupdate itself, my bad...

I know I can go dig up the older version 18 and just use that and never upgrade it ( or only after version has been out in the wild for a long time and all bugs worked out of it lol ) , but am just too pissed at FF right now to bother...Maxthon 3 and Chrome are wicked fast and do everything I want anyways...I like the customizability of Maxthon, and use Chrome as my youtube browser/player...all good now, thanks! :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:
Stupify wrote:H_T, i have FF crashes more because of the flash plugin too. uninstall both and then reinstall latest versions of both.

Fixed!! Uninstalled FF and won't be reinstalling it!! :twisted: :scout: :lol: :mrgreen:

Some way to fix something... :twisted:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:

That is my theme song!! Bookmarked!! 8) :lol: :lol:

Now why do I believe you.... :mrgreen:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:58 pm

:mrgreen: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:43 pm

I can soo imagine you typing that:

Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:17 am

there is two features and their simplicity of how you can set them up in FF keeps me loyal to them over all other browsers:
1) Keyword bookmarks
2) add-ons, specifically adblock
Stupify

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:

Running version 16 here. But only use it for a handful of sites anyway. Seamonkey is my standard browser.

Perhaps i should add that browser crashes almost never happen on this system.
Right now, i cant even remember the last time it happened.
Seamonkey version currently 2.15.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Next

Return to General Software Forum