Greetings... "Hammer_Time"

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Greetings... "Hammer_Time"

Postby mauser1891 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Welcome to the forums Mauser1891!! ( not the year of your birth I assume! :wink: )

I will also take a moment to say that I am pleased that all the post's and replies that I have read here has made me decide that this is the Forum for me. So far everyone proceeds in a proper manner, unlike some other's that I will not name but seemed to have "fanboy/elitest" mentalities. So I look forward to others sharing and posting their suggestions for myself and others. As I will post in this thread my experiences with my FX-8350 as this adventure progresses.

Thanks, I suppose we must be doing something "right" here in general then, always nice to hear positive feedback! :D

Clone - the reason he chose to buy the FX-8350 is this:

Membership has benefits, but it is also good to let the powers that be know that their efforts and mod work is appreciated in my honest opinion.
I was not born in 1891, but the year of my favorite rifle was made and that it was a Mauser. lol :D
I did post into this area, since it is proper for me to stick to proper area's and to stay on topic in a thread.
One of my experiences was that I was a moderator for a section of a forum because it was my area's of knowledge, though I claimed no mastery of it.
Conduct is a matter of importance, thus self-respect in a way how one post's replies or has to "relocate" threads as needed must be done with respect for member's.
I have come seeking knowledge and wisdom in the area of overclocking and modding my particular personally built PC.
Also I am capable of using FreeBSD, Debian GNU/Linux and various others. Though I have gotten a little partial to Chakra Project linux.
But I have other area's of interest's and maintain a Facebook presence where I do reviews on various platforms and operating systems that I seek out knowledge of...
Anyways, once again...

Thank You,
mauser1891
mauser1891

Re: Greetings... "Hammer_Time"

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Thank you for the compliments and the explanation of your username "Mauser1891" , makes perfect sense now. We do aim to please here for the most part, so nice to hear you feel comfortable posting here. I think you will enjoy your stay here, and look forward to more posts from you ( computer or non-computer related ). I have just go on a bit of a posting "spree" here so will sign off for now, wanting to play more Crysis 3 and FarCry 3 right now.. . :D Look forward to more discussions with you in the future, cheers! :D

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 am

See? Be nice to a mod and get nice pics in return! :twisted: :wink:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 am

Better than getting the "Ban Hammer", that is for sure! :scout:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Celt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:01 am

Or being a Rabbi . . . . now let's see if anyone gets that spooneristic joke . . .
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:16 am

:lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:38 am

Celt wrote:Or being a Rabbi . . . . now let's see if anyone gets that spooneristic joke . . .

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:38 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Better than getting the "Ban Hammer", that is for sure! :scout:

Yep.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby mauser1891 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Hello Folks,

I have worked extremely hard in the last year as my writing capability has gotten far better than it was by far. The balance issue has not improved as very few people have observed. My day vision has not improved any either, though I am still able to get around near complete darkness whereas many are completely bind compared to my ability. PTSD and high depression I have fought with this last year. In ten days of this post will be when my mate had passed away. She was everything to me. I have used all this to push harder and faster than any around me. Consolation is not required for I have kept I over E; Intellect over Emotion. Logic. My disability does not show physically. In 2006 a drunk driver coming from a funeral of a person who died while driving drunk hit us, and that has been the source of my disability. 15+ years in my previous industry and career was ended. And changed my whole lifestyle where I would have $800 USD in my pocket, not including what I had in the bank to $580 per month for disabilty, while the other half goes for child support. I have no issue of half of it going to my second son for his support. In closing, all I can say is that I am a trooper and will never surrender. It means a lot that I am able to write my posts that are informative and concise as possible, and your compliments have made my battle worthwhile. :D

Thank You,
mauser1891
mauser1891

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 am

Holy Smokes that is a lot to have dealt with in life...death of a spouse and losing a longtime secure well-paying job ranks as two of the highest stressors one can have in life, not to mention being hit by a drunk driver and having brain injury from that... you are a very strong person to have survived all of that and are still here...lots would not have survived it... I too have had my battles with depression so I can somewhat relate...never had to go through the stuff you did though...you are indeed a trooper sir! Plus you having to live on only $580 per month income ( the rest of the disability money going to your son as you mention ) is not easy at all... yet you still see the joy in life and feel that life is worth living, an inspiration to the rest of us!! To be honest, had you not mentioned your memory impairment I would never have guessed, your writing is impeccable and your statements flow logically and are a pleasure to read. Your hard work has paid off in this regard! I can tell that you are quite intelligent and also humble, these are two highly valued traits in anyone methinks! 8) I know you say "consolation is not required" but I still wanted to say these things, and give yourself a huge pat on your back for all you have survived and that you are still able to find purpose and keep your mojo in life! :scout:

I don't know if you like beer, but if you do, this brew's for you!! :

:D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Indeed. Hat off for you.

Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Just happened across this pic, and it reminded me of Mauser's "Cantenna" :

Don't laugh "too" hard, we have all been there at some point in our lives... :twisted: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:01 am

Not funny?
What if that first house doesn't install a wireless router..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby veli05 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 am

mauser1891 wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:Welcome to the forums Mauser1891!! ( not the year of your birth I assume! :wink: )

I will also take a moment to say that I am pleased that all the post's and replies that I have read here has made me decide that this is the Forum for me. So far everyone proceeds in a proper manner, unlike some other's that I will not name but seemed to have "fanboy/elitest" mentalities. So I look forward to others sharing and posting their suggestions for myself and others. As I will post in this thread my experiences with my FX-8350 as this adventure progresses.

Thanks, I suppose we must be doing something "right" here in general then, always nice to hear positive feedback! :D

Clone - the reason he chose to buy the FX-8350 is this:

Membership has benefits, but it is also good to let the powers that be know that their efforts and mod work is appreciated in my honest opinion.
I was not born in 1891, but the year of my favorite rifle was made and that it was a Mauser. lol :D
I did post into this area, since it is proper for me to stick to proper area's and to stay on topic in a thread.
One of my experiences was that I was a moderator for a section of a forum because it was my area's of knowledge, though I claimed no mastery of it.
Conduct is a matter of importance, thus self-respect in a way how one post's replies or has to "relocate" threads as needed must be done with respect for member's.
I have come seeking knowledge and wisdom in the area of overclocking and modding my particular personally built PC.
Also I am capable of using FreeBSD, Debian GNU/Linux and various others. Though I have gotten a little partial to Chakra Project linux.
But I have other area's of interest's and maintain a Facebook presence where I do reviews on various platforms and operating systems that I seek out knowledge of...
Anyways, once again...

Thank You,
mauser1891

Well .... we get pretty heated about politics out here on Xbit, but I personally enjoy differences in opinions and hearing alot of them on these forums has at least made me step back and take a closer look at my beliefs and opinions about certain topics. A healthy thing to experience in my opinion.

You are correct with the maturity of the general subscribers to the site though. Everyone is different yet everyone 98% of the time the subscribers WILL respect your opinions and offer you their suggestions in calm manner. Not flame you for everything like I guess some sites would (I only subscribe to Xbit so no personal experience here)

95% of the subscribers know what they are talking about tech wise too which was a big thing for me. I joined because the forums had one of the most straight forward and concise beginner's overclocking guide on the net. Got me through my first couple of overclocks and there was no shortage of assitance on troubleshooting various tech issues I have come across over these last 3 years either.

You picked well, look forward to your contributions.
veli05

Postby veli05 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Just happened across this pic, and it reminded me of Mauser's "Cantenna" :

Don't laugh "too" hard, we have all been there at some point in our lives... :twisted: :lol:

Lol so true
veli05

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks Veli05, nice to hear of course! :)

I hope Mauser forgives me for "spamming" his FX 8350 overclocking thread... :oops:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby mauser1891 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:18 pm

veli05 wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:Just happened across this pic, and it reminded me of Mauser's "Cantenna" :

Lol so true

Hello Folks,

Forgiven. lol ;) Myself have been a moderator on a forum took it as a very big responsibility that can be a thankless one, thus as I will always be appreciative of it.
I myself have been guilty of being off topic, and thus must be aware that I must adhere to this principle of etiquette for it is a matter of self-respect and respect to others that I maintain it.
I love that picture above as it is I am a netizen and not to be connected in one way or another is inconceivable. I would rather make a cantenna than have to use dial-up in these days. For in my beginning I used dial-up and there was none of the content as it exists now. For I came online as IE was created, and did not want to pay for the "nut-scrape instigator". ;)
Should, I state should. AMD become a forgotten relic like the Cyrix 6x86, I will have my "FX can". Just as I still, not fondly remember "Plug N Pray". Having to know IRQ's and ones hardware to install Slackware back in 1998, unlike these days were a user can simply put their hardware together and drop a distro like Ubuntu and turn on the machine to install it.
<sighs> As it is these day. I feel like a relic compared to many of the "new gen" of these days, just as all that was from a bygone era. </sighs>
Just as I love this song of humor of that same era gone by with Bob Rivers Parody of Windows 95; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwQKWiRJAA

Thank You,
mauser1891
mauser1891

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks Mauser! I concur fully!

Regarding the "Win95 Sucks" youtube link you posted, that is a classic indeed, and I love this comment made by a viewer on that page:

bobamaluma 7 months ago

I'm just waiting? for a Windows 8 Version of that song XD

:lol: :lol: :lol: True true... har har!! :mrgreen:

I too remember the days of interrrupts, having to set the right COM port and IRQ# on old 14.4, 28.8, and 33.6 modems using jumpers or they would not work... they would conflict with COM2 in the motherboard's bios if you used the standard common COM2 port on the modem, so you had to first disable COM2 in the mobo bios before you could get the modem to work right on COM2 in Windows... I remember that you had to use COM1 and 3 with IRQ4 and COM2 and 4 with IRQ3, or was it the other way round?? Been so long I forget now... kids these days have no idea how "easy" they have it - just plug in their computer ( or even doing an upgrade, pretty straightforward if you know the basics ) and start using windows, osx or even linux, everything is so much more user-friendly these days, as it should be... but back in the early days it was a lot trickier to get things setup , especially when dealing with hw IRQ conflicts lol...don't really miss it to be honest! :P :D I am 45 years old just so you know how old I am, came up through the early days of computing just like you did... Mosaic, Netrape, Kazaa, Napster etc, all of it ... :twisted: Okay, back to playing more Far Cry and latest Tomb Raider here ( gorgeous graphics btw, game has a lot of cut scenes but I like it so far, Lara is fairly life-like in this game and it is fun hunting animals with a bow and arrow :mrgreen: ). Cheers!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby mauser1891 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 am

Hello,

<coughs> original Lara Croft and a Nude Raider mod </coughs> lol
I may have to read the reviews on this new Tomb Raider. And given the chance, perhaps purchase it.
But I have deferred enough in this last month I need to compensate for my push to complete this build.
I have a squad that I am the founder of and they have waited for years for me to be able to have a full system to play again.
Do not get me wrong my laptops have served me very well, and I am pleased that I was able to acquire a Nexus 7 tablet to provide another way to access the 'Net.
I am also sought on occasion to "turn a few wrenches" by a few people that I assist.
Having a small OTG (on the go) device like my N7 (Nexus 7) provides me away to get prices and figure taxes for them for a quote.
I am very pleased to have made your acquaintance Hammer_Time, there are a few of us but not many that have been and seen those times.
I have barely have a recall of it. In a year or two I will have no memory of these post's. So these post's are my way of keeping a log of sort's.
So as I call it a night I will have to go listen to some Iron Maiden. ;)

Thank You,
mauser1891
mauser1891

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Heh heh, same here!! I too have played the original Tomb Raider with said patch! :D I must say I quite enjoy this latest Tomb Raider, if you don't mind a cutscene every 60 seconds or so...OTOH they have chilled a bit on the difficulty of the "puzzles" in the game , sure you have to still run and leap and smash some keys to avoid certain death in spots, but it is not as "intense" as the last few Tomb Raider games have been imho... this one is more "fun" and visually stunning , all eye candy maxxed out .. I tried "TressFX" and Lara's hair does become more defined but it slowed my framerate too much on my nVidia card ( TressFX is an AMD invention, it runs on nVidia cards but slowly it seems on my GTX 560 Ti card, huge performance hit ). Other than that have everything on highest possible settings at 1920x1200 and it runs sweet... Lara is very well done, her limbs move very fluidly and realistically...people are complaining that the game is "too linear" with "too much hand-holding" and that is true, but I am still enjoying the game a great deal nonetheless:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tomb-raider

Captiosus
(After five hours of playing, I'm currently at 12% complete.) As an old fart of a gamer, I remember when Lara Croft first burst onto the scene and how she changed the gaming landscape. Since then, many others have duplicated the success of the Tomb Raider series (see: Uncharted) while Tomb Raider, itself, was left to languish as an aging property. The new Tomb Raider doesn't really change the genre like the original did but, instead, is content to merely copy off of successful IPs that had originally copied Tomb Raider itself. In case that line sounds confusing, think of it this way: Get rid of Sully and turn Nathan Drake into a woman, and you have the new Tomb Raider. Both games play the same, are loaded with quick time events, and are graphically appealing. The critical difference between the two is that the story of Lara is more gritty and realistic than the over the top stories of Nathan and his quests. Graphically the game is quite a treat. With DX11 support and TressFX, the game looks beautiful. Even something as mundane as rain can make you stop and just look around at the rich graphical detail. Of course, this all comes at a cost. DX11's SSAO and Tesselation are, as always, some of the biggest perfomance consumers and TressFX, while nice, costs a considerable amount of performance just to have more realistic character hair. To elaborate, running on a i7-3770 with a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, I have no problems running "High" level graphics and maintaining a consistent frame rate. Turn on TressFX, however, and the frame rate plummets into the 40s. Not worth it for "hair effects", in my opinion. Despite the graphical polish and more realistic Lara, the game thus far is higher than mediocre but falls just short of greatness. The major complaint I have is that it is TOO linear with a LOT of hand holding. Stand in one place long enough and Lara, no matter how injured, will tell you EXACTLY what to do next. Even if you ignore her constant dialog, tap one key and the world will light up all the critical elements like the Grizwold family Christmas Tree. I know people hate the term "linear" but, much like Uncharted 3, there's little reason to explore beyond the predetermined paths. Actual tombs to raid are few and far between (I've seen 3, one of which was only thanks to having the Survival Edition) while the puzzles within the tombs themselves have not been very challenging.

While all that is true, still enjoying this game anyways so far! :D

Ah, a second patch just came out for this game 2 days ago, will have to try it out:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/19/tomb-ra ... nt-page-1/
Tue, Mar 19, 2013 | 05:40 GMT

Tomb Raider PC updated with more TressFX, multiplayer fixes

The PC version of Tomb Raider has been patched with a wide variety of bug fixes including improved multiplayer connectivity; better voice chat; TressFX improvements; and better performance when switching view modes or using multiple displays. It’s at least the second time the Crystal Dynamics effort has been patched, and Nvidia released new beta drivers specifically in support of the game a few days ago, so hopefully any problems have now been quashed.
Full patch notes are available on Steam.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to The Lounge