Smallest case for a gaming rig?

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Smallest case for a gaming rig?

Postby fackamato » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 am

Hi guys,

I currently have a Lian Li PC-V354B, which I think is too big. I have a M-ATX motherboard, a 2600K, and a GTX580 (2 slot design). Oh, and some XFX 550W PSU, a few SSDs and HDDs. The goal is to have a small case as possible, space for at least 1 HDD and 2 SSDs (1 of the SSDs can go on unsecured as long as there's space), and for the thing to be QUIET. No overclocking to be done.

I have a NAS so the plan was to have max 2 3.5" HDDs and 2 SSDs in the case. I could also change to an ITX MB if possible. I've found these cases so far, what are your opinions?

Antec NSK1380:
350W PSU, probably won't drive the rig at all. So this is out of the question? Otherwise it's a small enough case that takes M-ATX.

Silverstone SUGO07B
600W PSU, should work fine with my rig. ITX only though, and only space for 1 HDD and 2 SSDs. But it's small!

Silverstone SUGO08B
Largely the same as the previous case, not sure what the improvements are here.

BitFenix Prodigy
Only takes M-ITX, but has tons of space for fans and HDDs. However, it's not very small (roughly the same volume as my current case, 36L vs 33L)

Kind regards,
fackamato

Re: Smallest case for a gaming rig?

Postby Stupify » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:22 am

What do you plan to do with this computer? HTPC+gaming? Portable gaming (as in easy for LAN party)? HTPC? Regular space saver?
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby fackamato » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 am

Stupify wrote:What do you plan to do with this computer? HTPC+gaming? Portable gaming (as in easy for LAN party)? HTPC? Regular space saver?

Hi,

It's going to be for gaming only, and regular desktop stuff. E.g. my main PC. Not necessarily portable, I just like it to be really small and quiet, while still being quick enough. I've a 2560x1440 monitor so a GTX 580 is the minimum for me as I play BF3 and like to max things out (not that the 580 can do that but you get the point)

Cheers,
fackamato

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm

fackamato wrote:Hi guys,

I currently have a Lian Li PC-V354B, which I think is too big. I have a M-ATX motherboard, a 2600K, and a GTX580 (2 slot design). Oh, and some XFX 550W PSU, a few SSDs and HDDs. The goal is to have a small case as possible, space for at least 1 HDD and 2 SSDs (1 of the SSDs can go on unsecured as long as there's space), and for the thing to be QUIET. No overclocking to be done.

I have a NAS so the plan was to have max 2 3.5" HDDs and 2 SSDs in the case. I could also change to an ITX MB if possible. I've found these cases so far, what are your opinions?

Antec NSK1380:
350W PSU, probably won't drive the rig at all. So this is out of the question? Otherwise it's a small enough case that takes M-ATX.

Silverstone SUGO07B
600W PSU, should work fine with my rig. ITX only though, and only space for 1 HDD and 2 SSDs. But it's small!

Silverstone SUGO08B

BitFenix Prodigy
Only takes M-ITX, but has tons of space for fans and HDDs. However, it's not very small (roughly the same volume as my current case, 36L vs 33L)

Kind regards,

Hi frackamoto! welcome to the forums!

Your Lian-Li PC-V354B SFF case is indeed a bit larger than traditional SFF boxes ( like Shuttle cube-style SFF boxes ) , but you are jamming quite a large powerful video card in your box ( GTX 580 ). It is always challenging to jam one of the biggest ( tallest and longest ) gaming cards you can possibly buy, into the smallest chassis possible and still expect it to have good cooling etc...not impossible mind, just challenging... :wink: :twisted:

Here is a full review of your case:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1153-page7.html

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Lian Li PC-V354 is essentially what we expected, a bigger version of the PC-Q08 for microATX boards with much of the same basic functionality. There is plenty of space for hard drives, a reasonably-sized CPU cooler, and a long graphics card. The larger volume and extra fans means it runs fairly cool, and the manual fan speed controller and memory card reader are nice additions. It is versatile enough to house just about any type of system and it looks nicer than most microATX towers. With proper planning and tweaking, it can handle a midrange system with adequate cooling at a reasonably low noise level.

Editor's Note: Larry and I differ on the usability and attractiveness of the PC-V354. In my opinion, the basic shape and proportions work for a smaller case like the PC-Q08. But the same proportions in the bigger PC-V354 reminds me of a small storage chest. A storage chest does not belong atop a desk, its footprint is way too intrusive. Even on the floor, the PC-V354 ends up taking a lot of floor space, as much as a larger mid-tower case. It is an inefficient use of space; the standard short tower mATX case is easier to place, can fit taller, bigger heatsinks, and is way cheaper. To me, the Lian Li PC-Q08 looks like an ungainly, ugly duck made differently just to be different (rather than for improved function), and there's nothing you can do to turn it into a swan.

That being said, aside from the extras and the obvious benefits from utilizing a larger form factor, the chassis itself is not an improvement over the PC-Q08. In fact, there are a few aspects of the case we wish hadn't strayed away from the PC-Q08 design. Our biggest problem with the PC-Q08 is its hard drive cages, which are not secured tightly enough, making them prone to vibration when multiple drives are installed. The PC-V354 suffers from the same problem, but it is actually worse as the drive cages are noticeably thinner and lighter. They are so weak we were able to pry them apart by almost a centimeter with our bare hands. We are also puzzled as to why they did not include a power supply vent on the side panel. Giving the PSU a cool source of intake air gives it and the entire system a thermal advantage that can translate into an acoustic benefit — with so many super quiet PSUs to choose from these days — which outweighs any noise reduction from having an unvented side panel. Finally, we had an issue with the I/O shield not aligning properly — possibly an isolated problem with our sample.

Lian Li PC-V354
PROS

* Support for up to four fans
* Fan speed controller
* Can hold up to seven 3.5" HDDs
* 14"+ graphics card clearance
* Front card reader and USB 3.0

CONS

* Prone to vibration
* No power supply vent
* Misaligned I/O shield?
* Not ideal for a silent PC

So it takes your GTX 580 card easily of course , just pointing out that not all smaller SFF cases have the necessary clearance for a video card that is 10.5"/267 mm long:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ifications

GeForce GTX 580 > Specifications

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions:

10.5 inches (267 mm)Length
4.376 inches (111 mm)Height

Dual-Slot Width

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1153-page6.html

HD 6850 test system with one of the front fans swapped to the rear. There was about 1.9 cm between the edge of the graphics card PCB and power supply, and 12.1 cm between the graphics card and front fan grill.

The average height of an HD 6850 card is 4.4", basically the same height as your GTX 580, proof here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... ,2794.html

So whatever smaller SFF case you are considering, it must have minimum height clearance of 4.5" for your GTX 580 video card ( space between motherboard and the power supply ), and minimum 10.5" length card clearance...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/cases/24 ... ec-nsk1380

Antec NSK1380:

Size 269x201x335mm

Antec's NSK1380 microATX case closely resembles a Shuttle barebones PC and has a similarly cramped interior.

Building a PC in this case involves working in a narrow space with little room to manoeuvre. The drive cage must be removed entirely before you can install or access the motherboard or components, but it lifts or hinges out without any hassle.

We were only able to fit our microATX board in the cramped case by removing the top and the side, and sliding it into position. Adding expansion cards in the four slots was similarly fiddly and we had trouble routing the power and header cables in the available space.

The drive cage has space for three 3½in internal and one 5¼in external drive, both of which were easy to fit. There are no external 3½in drive bays, so you can't fit a memory card reader and optical drive.

The NSK1380 comes with a 350W power supply. This has four Molex and three SATA connections, and 24-pin and 4-pin motherboard power connectors. There's no PCI Express power connector, so you'll need a Molex-to-PCI Express adaptor if you want to fit a graphics card. The cramped interior limits you to using single-slot cards.

The NSK1380 is harder to work with than most of Antec's cases. If you want a small case, Antec's Minuet 350 is a better deal, while those looking to build a full-size PC would be better off with Antec's Solo.

Will your 550W psu fit in this case? Hard to say, look at the placement of the custom-designed Antec 350W "L-shaped" psu in the pic of the case above... dunno if a standard-sized ATX psu like your XFX 550W would even fit properly in this tiny case...the video card would fit but dunno about your psu...no way 350 Watt cheap psu is gonna power up a GTX 580 system...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silverstone SUGO07B

Silverstone SUGO08B

Now THIS one is designed for big video cards!!! The 600W psu is mounted in the front of the chassis and poses no restrictions whatsoever on the video card size...

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3573/s ... index.html

Today we are going to be looking at the SST-SG07B, the non-windowed version of the SG07 chassis. Throughout the design of this new chassis SilverStone wanted to offer all the best in the smallest foot print available. A power supply is even included and mounted which not only makes the assembly one step easier, but with the 600W, 80 Plus Bronze certified power supply, you can power all of those demanding parts that are now finding their way into these tiny enclosures. Let's get a look at what the SG07-B and the power supply offer, and see just what it is capable of!

They easily stuffed a GTX 470 card in it, and you can see from the pics it can handle a much larger card if necessary:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3573/s ... ndex7.html

The build itself was a challenge, but one you get great satisfaction from once you get it all powered up. I found it much like building a model when I was younger. Look at the instructions first; there is a plethora of information that will aid you in your disassembly and build process and also lower the stress level. All I needed were a few images, basic instruction and a Phillip's head screwdriver, and I was able to get things underway and running for the cause. Once the SG07 was assembled and testing, I was impressed with the low noise levels I heard coming from within. I know the GTX 470 can get quite loud if the fan is spooled, but when the Wu was complete and the GPU fan dropped in speed, I wasn't able to tell the Air Penetrator from the GPU fan. For those looking to use this for a HTPC with a lesser GPU, having it in your living room should not be an issue. I actually removed the GTX 470 and used the onboard graphics just so I could see, and I tell you once in a cabinet or on a shelf, the noise from the 180mm fan won't be an issue at all.

In any environment, with just about any GPU on the market today, the SST-SG07B offers an attractive SFF chassis that doesn't require a lot of room. SilverStone has seen the needs of the users, and here I do believe most of those needs are met. Room is tight inside, but with the right products in line to go into the chassis, the restrictions can be overcome, and leave the buyer very satisfied with what they have built. The decision in my mind now is what monitor I have to buy to use the SG07-B daily in my living room. With a wireless keyboard and mouse, I will be all set to surf the net, and do some gaming if I want.

Considering the SST-SG07 will keep even the most power hungry components cool, it offers to do so with the power supply included for what I feel is a great price. I know the listed price at Newegg.com at $209.99 may seem pricy. I will tell you this much as a retort. The SilverStone SST-SG07B is the coolest (both looking and in temperatures), user friendly, solid SFF chassis I have had the pleasure of testing. Comparing that with the prices of many other solutions, I think SilverStone hit the nail on the head here.

TweakTown overall 90% rating!!! Does not get much better than that!!

This case is highly recommended, it comes with one of the very best brands ( if not THE best in terms of quality, performance, reliability = Silverstone ) of psu... yes it is over $200 but half that is the cost of the psu itself... well worth every penny.... I would deffo go for this case if you feel that you must shrink your current case down a bit...

BitFenix Prodigy

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/0 ... y-review/1

Dimensions (mm) 250 x 359 x 404mm (W x D x H)

The Bitfenix Prodigy is barely any smaller than your current case ( Depth ) and is actually taller in height than your case, and only takes M-ITX which is a drawback as you said.

Specifications: Lian Li PC-V354
(from the product web page)
Model PC-V354
Case Type Mini Tower
Dimensions (W) 245mm x (D) 420mm x (H) 320mm (33 liters)

The Silverstone SUGO07B is perfect for your needs, smaller footprint but with proper psu, and will easily take your GTX 580 card... plus the case is very pleasing visually, at least I think it is... :D

Absolute proof that a GTX 580 will fit in the Silverstone SUGO07B case here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... s?page=0,1

$2,100, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

Specifications

Processor Intel 3.4GHz Core i7-2600K
Mobo Asus P8H67-I (Intel H67 chipset)
RAM 4GB DDR3/1333
Videocard GeForce GTX 580
Soundcard Onboard
Storage 120GB Intel 510 SSD, 1TB Western Digital 7,200rpm HDD
Optical LG Blu-ray combo drive
Case/PSU Silverstone SG07 / Silverstone 600 watt

Cyberpower simply painted their logo on the side of this Silverstone case, the Silverstone logo is still on the front of the case!! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 am

Do you mean something like this one ?

Dell Studio Hybrid
The systems measure 196.5mm x 71.5mm x 211.5mm (with sleeve) and weigh 2.18kg with the (optional) stand.

Here is one on Ebay, and no I have nothing to do with this auction.. its just the first place I stumbled across where they where avalible.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-STUDIO-HYB ... 0415363028
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:50 am

No way his 267mm long GTX 580 card is gonna fit in that tiny thing!! :shock:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 am

Ehm right.. it's a bit too small..
Ive been sick for a week or so now.. maybe I should blame the fever.
even thought Im starting to feel better. :lol:

one of these Newegg case categories is probably appropriate..
but not quite sure wich one of them.

ATX Mini Tower (4)
MicroATX Desktop (21)
MicroATX Mid Tower (18)
MicroATX Mini Tower (42)
MicroATX Slim Case (13)
Mini-ITX Desktop (18)
Mini-ITX Tower (25)
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby fackamato » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 am

Brilliant replies, thank you very much, guys. It looks like the SG07 is the way to go (or SG08).

The only bad thing is... it's expensive! Very much so. Plus I'd have to get a new CPU cooler (unless the stock intel one works) and motherboard. But, at least I know where to begin now.

Cheers,
fackamato

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 am

Silver wrote:Image
Dell Studio Hybrid

Never considered buying Dell so far.... and those won't change that.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm

fackamato wrote:Brilliant replies, thank you very much, guys. It looks like the SG07 is the way to go (or SG08).

The only bad thing is... it's expensive! Very much so. Plus I'd have to get a new CPU cooler (unless the stock intel one works) and motherboard. But, at least I know where to begin now.

Cheers,

Ah crap, I overlooked the fact that the SG07 only accepts M-ITX boards, not M-ATX ones like the one you have...argh...

Are you sure your cpu cooler won't fit, there looks like a fair bit of room in this case for aftermarket cpu coolers:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3573/s ... ndex7.html

Since I usually build m-ITX chassis with an ATOM board from Zotac, I didn't have an issue with any sort of height restrictions for the cooler. If you plan a build in here and want something other than the stock cooler, I read that the Samuel 17 is a good solution to your needs.

So you would be looking at around $210 for the Silverstone Sugo 07 chassis with 600 Watt Silverstone psu, plus about another $100 approx for a decent M-ITX mobo, pushing upgrade cost well over $300...ouch...

Well mebbe you will get a healthy tax return this year that will allow you to afford this upgrade, and as you say, at least now you have a good starting point...

TBH I like the look of your current Lian-Li case ( even though it is a bit large compared to these other M-ITX chassis ) and would just keep it and enjoy it, but thats just me ( have original Antec 900 Gamer case sitting on my desk here taking up gobs of space, but I just love it... was worth every penny... 8) ). Good luck with whatever upgrade path you choose in the future...

Too bad the Antec Skeleton ( ATX or M-ATX mobo )and Mini-Skelton ( M-ITX ) is discontinued, you might have considered that ( small footprint and takes M-ATX boards and regular sized ATX psus... ) :

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... _skeleton/

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/ ... skeleton/1

They collect dust obviously, but look cool and are super easy to work on/upgrade... I am still surprised Antec discontinued these, guess they were not all that popular with mainstream buyers...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 am

I remember that one. Cool indeed, but not something I would consider..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum