Wi-Fi card always disconnects after 1 hour of connection.

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Wi-Fi card always disconnects after 1 hour of connection.

Postby BleepCrash » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Any MVPs out there, really need your help on this issue, because it seems to be a common problem, with no solution to be found. Thanks for any help.

Hardware:
Mid-2011 Mac Book Air, Model A1369 EMC 2469.
Here are its specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP631
Unfortunately, Apple is so bad that they don't provide the exact build specs even for the serial number itself, nor do they list actual hardware components.
Middle to bottom of this page may have a bit more spec info, but still no actual hardware components info, unless one checks them on the laptop itself (which I won't have access to till I'm working on it).
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... specs.html

Problem:
Wi-Fi always disconnects after about 1 hour of connection to a Wi-Fi hotspot under Windows 7 via Bootcamp.
These Wi-Fi drops happen in every hotspot (fast food, hotel, other free Wi-Fi) so far.

Symptoms:
Works without drops when connected to same Wi-Fi hotspots in Mac OSX 10.x.
Even works in Windows 7 when using own, separate Verizon 4G mobile hotspot, model MIFI 4510L. But again not when connected to the hotel hotspots/routers.
Loses Wi-Fi connection after about an hour when on regular Wi-Fi (via router/hotspot). Happens on different Wi-Fi networks in different places -- same problem.

Steps undertaken:
Checked online and saw lots of people having Wi-Fi disconnection problems in Windows 7 on Mac Books (Pro and Air). Also saw people having lots of disconnection problems with just Windows 7 (without a Mac).
No concrete solutions found so far though. Any pointers?

Things to consider:
What makes Verizon 4G hotspot so different from other hotspots? Is it protocols? Different encryption? Something else?
Obviously I can't change the settings on the routers (as they are the establishment's and are different in every place). I can only change something locally on the laptop itself.
I have very limited amount of time to apply any fixes I can think of. About 1 hour; 1 and a half max. I know that it's not best for trying to troubleshoot it, but that's all I have this week to work on it. In a few weeks I might have more time to spend with it. Laptop may have Hide My Ass Pro VPN proxy installed. Can't verify at the moment. OSX has it for sure. Windows side -- not positive. But switching it off will be the first thing I'll try. Can it interfere?

Questions:
What steps to try to undertake and in which order.
A list of all the things it can be would be helpful.
Any way to monitor the connection live and see what caused the disconnect? Say a live or recorded log of network card and router communication? With the data traffic filtered out? Can Wireshark do that? How to use it for it then? Can SysInternals suite be used for that? Any other special tools?
Reinstall drivers? Any better drivers available for it? The Wireless card is called Airport officially. But if remember correctly it is: Broadcom BCM43xx. Maybe there is something more stable for Win 7 out there for it?
BleepCrash

Re: Wi-Fi card always disconnects after 1 hour of connection.

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:12 am

Welcome to the forums!

BleepCrash wrote:Any MVPs out there, really need your help on this issue, because it seems to be a common problem, with no solution to be found. Thanks for any help.

Problem:
Wi-Fi always disconnects after about 1 hour of connection to a Wi-Fi hotspot under Windows 7 via Bootcamp.
These Wi-Fi drops happen in every hotspot (fast food, hotel, other free Wi-Fi) so far.

Symptoms:
Works without drops when connected to same Wi-Fi hotspots in Mac OSX 10.x.
Even works in Windows 7 when using own, separate Verizon 4G mobile hotspot, model MIFI 4510L. But again not when connected to the hotel hotspots/routers.
Loses Wi-Fi connection after about an hour when on regular Wi-Fi (via router/hotspot). Happens on different Wi-Fi networks in different places -- same problem.

Obviously I can't change the settings on the routers (as they are the establishment's and are different in every place). I can only change something locally on the laptop itself.

Unfortunately the problem appears to be problems with the hotspot location's choice of router ( older cheaper router models ( all too common ) do not play "nice" with Macbook Airs like you have ) :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/26 ... 0&tstart=0

xdreduardx

Re: WiFi Issues With MacBook Air

Jun 20, 2011 6:37 AM (in response to gcrump)

I have MacBook Air 2010 (both 11" and 13") with the above described intermittent WiFi drop issues.

After perusing for many months these issues,  I believe that the problem lies with:

1. Type of wireless router you connect to
2. Amount of nearby traffic

I had a Linksys W160N router which was dropping both of my MacBook Airs intermittently with a router reboot fixing the problem for a while until it came back.

I then switched to Linksys E4200 and the problems resolved.  Not only that but the connection is much faster now.

I live in a building in Manhattan that has its own zipcode (about 1000 apartments) and at any time I have over 10 networks that my Airs "see".

I think that if I were to go to a cafe with an old router, then the problem will continue.  All people with the problem should post the make of their router.  Please note, as of late, W160N is getting terrible reviews.

As you said, there is nothing you can do about that unfortunately... I suppose you could try disabling the onboard Wifi in Windows device manager, and adding a 3rd party USB wireless n adapter, and see if that works any better for you...

http://wireless-adapter-review.toptenreviews.com/

Good luck!!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 pm

So free hotspots use 'bad' routers as a rule?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 pm

First thing I would try would be to go to device manager, properties for wifi network adapter, power management, and turn off "allow the compute to turn off this device to save power".

What state is it in when it loses connection? Do you just have to reconnect, or do you have to reboot the machine? Is it just websites that get dropped, or can you still ping a dns server or the gateway? Do you maintain an ip address?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 pm

He mentions that he doesn't lose connection when in Mac OSX, only when he boots into W7 using Bootcamp... so the problem is not the hw, it is W7 not playing nice with his builtin wifi chip and cheap hotspot wireless routers...

Some of your advice might indeed help though, just wanted to emphasize he does not get drops when connected to same Wifi hotspots with Mac OSX, only when in W7 does he get the drops with same hotspots...weird...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:So free hotspots use 'bad' routers as a rule?

Most buy the cheapest piece of crap that they "can get away with" tbh...businesses love to save money, dontcha know... :wink: Not all of them, but probably most of them...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:11 am

But many advertise with 'free internet access'. Wouldn't using crappy equipment be counter-productive then?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:25 am

HT, it sounds like Win 7 drivers are more the issue, if the HW works fine. I was just trying to figure out if it was totally dropped, or just kinda glitched. Since it happens after 1 hour, I was suspecting Windows thinks it isn't in use, and shuts it off.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Yep, could very well be the problem here...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

Shouldn't windows to that much sooner?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:46 am

Dropped Wifi connection:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 am

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Technical Support