Condensed Sony PS4 announcement

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Condensed Sony PS4 announcement

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 pm

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Condensed Sony PS4 announcement

Postby Stupify » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Could this turn into a Console + Windows machine given the x86 cpu? I can't wait to see the actual innards to understand how flexible this system will be. Also would it also mean that it may be easier to get PS4 OS onto conventional PCs with some hacking or what?
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am

Hammer_Time wrote:3 minute abridged version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rJDn0jRnUQ

:lol:

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 am

Stupify wrote:Could this turn into a Console + Windows machine given the x86 cpu? I can't wait to see the actual innards to understand how flexible this system will be. Also would it also mean that it may be easier to get PS4 OS onto conventional PCs with some hacking or what?

I don't see why not... Apple Macs can run Windows ( the ones with Intel cpus in them that is ) so somebody will no doubt hack the PS4 to do this...same for Xbox Next/720 no doubt which is rumored to ship with a stripped-down version of W8... although modding brings with it the risk of detection and getting booted off Xbox Live so same might apply if one mods a PS4 to run Windows ( get kicked off the Playstation Network etc. ).

Rumor has it that the Xbox Durango/720 will be running a stripped-down version of Windows 8 :

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entert ... -windows-8

Will Microsoft’s Xbox 720 run Windows 8?

Posted August 6, 2012 - 23:50 by Aharon Etengoff

Specs and details pertaining to Redmond's upcoming Xbox 720 console remain understandably scarce. ??

However, Microsoft general manager Brian Hall may have inadvertently let some info about the next-gen system slip during a recent interview about the new Outlook with The Verge. ??Indeed, according to Hall, the Xbox 720 is "coming out with Windows 8."

"We’ve had Hotmail and operated Hotmail for about 16 years, we obviously have Exchange, and Outlook, that people use at work," Hall explained.??

"We just decided it was time to do something new and bring the best from each of those and put them together and release it right in time for the new wave of products that we could have coming out with Windows 8, with the new version of Office with the new Windows phone and the new Xbox."

Personally, I’m not at all convinced that Hall was saying the Xbox 720 will run Windows 8. Yes, the latest iteration of Microsoft’s flagship operating system is stripped down (at least for ARM) and probably contains less bloat than anything since 3.1 of legendary yore.?

Nevertheless, Redmond probably doesn’t need to load a full-fledged OS on the console to achieve optimal integration with Windows 8. A souped up "New Xbox Experience" (NXE) dashboard with updated APIs should suffice.??

As such, it is far more likely that Hall meant the Xbox 720 would debut in the wake of Windows 8 - for better or worse. ??Of course, anything is possible, no matter how unlikely, so it would definitely be foolish to completely rule out a Windows 8-powered Xbox 720.

It won't be running WinRT of course, that is for ARM cpu's, and both consoles will be running AMD Jaguar x86 cpus in them...but it could run a very stripped down version of Windows 8 x86 perhaps...

The final name of the Xbox could be "Xbox 8" since M$ has been busy buying up "Xbox8"-related domain names recently:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingam ... mok-860751

Forget the Xbox 720 or Durango or any of the other names the rumor mill has given Microsoft's next game machine. Word on the street today is that the next Xbox will be called Xbox 8 -- or perhaps more likely: Xbox Infinity.

The Xbox rumor mill lit up Tuesday as word made the rounds that Microsoft received the rights to the domains Xbox8.org and Xbox8.us.

Just rumor of course, but interesting...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

Why would anyone want to run Windows on this new PS4...?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 am

Simply because they can ( like the 1% that are marching us all to the New World Order...simply because they can... ) :twisted:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 am

If you compare it to that running Windows on it must be evil!
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm

This PS4 is going to be quite an ass-kicker!! :

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15492 ... apu-design

Secrets of the PS4: Heavily modified Radeon, supercharged APU design

By Joel Hruska on May 6, 2013

Durango, in other words, sounds just like Kabini. And Kabini, according to AMD, doesn’t have next-generation HSA support. Cerny is painting the PS4 as a hybrid that, while also based on AMD’s Jaguar core, incorporates additional features.

Will this be enough to put the PS4 ahead of the Xbox in the next generation? That’s unclear.

The PS3 tried a similar strategy and failed miserably. But this time around, Sony may have picked better targets for its optimizations. It looks as though the PS4 will have specific capabilities that go beyond simply having more graphics cores or a faster CPU — and that could give it the advantage, this time around.

This time around it looks like Sony will actually be giving some heavy competition to M$ this time around.

Both new consoles use AMD Jaguar 8-core cpu's and Radeon HD 7xxx-class DX 11 gpu's, so game development will be easy and developers will be able to easily port games for both consoles. Since the consoles will now be able to run all the same games ( which was NOT the case with Xbox 360 and PS3 with Cell Architecture that was quite painful if literally nearly impossible to port to without rewriting the whole game ), that means they can also play the same multiplayer games on the same online gaming service.

Microsoft is the undisputed leader in online multiplayer with Xbox Live ( compared to Sony's online service ), so if Sony was smart they would strike a deal with Microsoft to allow PS4 to use the Xbox Live service. M$ wins with more Live subcriptions, and Sony wins with a better online multiplayer gamer experience by taking advantage of M$ servers, expertise, and superiority in this area. Sony would not have to worry about any of it then, no "massive" outages like Sony is famous for, no infrastructure to support, no screwups to be had, it will all be on M$ shoulders then...Win Win for both companies here. Honestly, Sony should just keep its online service only for PS3 and PS2 console owners ( legacy ), and encourage PS4 owners to use Xbox Live where the majority of the "action" is taking place in the realm of online multiplayer gaming...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 am

Relying on your biggest competitor to provide a service is a terrible idea. Sony would end up stuck doing whatever MS decides to do.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 am

Fuzz wrote:Relying on your biggest competitor to provide a service is a terrible idea. Sony would end up stuck doing whatever MS decides to do.

And i VERY much doubt MS could avoid the temptation to do a little "oops" now and then to make sure that the PS using their service got slightly "less prompt" service.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 am

Har har!! True true...good points...one can still dream though...

Oh look, the Sony Playstation network is down AGAIN today!! :

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/8834/ ... ny-fix.htm

PlayStation Network Down, When Will Sony Fix It?

First Posted: May 07, 2013

Many gamers have complained that they are unable to use the PlayStation network and it seems that the entire service is down, meaning that most players are finding it difficult to log into their accounts or access the store.

Sony's Japanese website, translated in a NeoGAF thread, confirms that the service is down at the moment and the company trying to find the cause of the problem and provide a fix.
Undoubtedly, many gamers are disappointed as well as frustrated with Sony.

"It's a little embarrassing really, for a company of their size. I often give up looking for what I want. I've occasionally been looking for DLC, and I've had to actively seek it out, through a number of different searches. Customers shouldn't have to root around under all the junk to find what they need. Sort yourselves our next gen Sony, it's a joke at the minute, really, really poor," complained a user at NeoGAF.
"I'm trying to purchase Ratchet and Clank Full Frontal Assault from the US PlayStation Store and it says there was an error. I tried the webstore too and the connection timed out. Is anybody else having this problem?" complained another user at NeoGAF.
PlayStation Europe has also confirmed that the network is down.
"Some users expriencing problems signing into the Store at the moment, we're investigating & will update you soon. Thanks for your patience," per PlayStation Europe's tweet.
Moreover, many gamers are afraid that the problems might be linked to a cyber-attack that seeks to get access to personal information of members.
This is not the first time that the PlayStation Network has been down. In spring 2011, the PlayStation network went down and since then Sony has taken measures to upgrade its servers.
Users will hope for the PlayStation Network to be up and running as soon as possible but if you use PlayStation Network are you able to access it?

Older outages:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/ ... he_problem

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/17/d ... tion-store

:x :fist: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The PS4 might rock, but their online service needs a lot of TLC to match it!!! :whistle:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Fuzz wrote:Relying on your biggest competitor to provide a service is a terrible idea. Sony would end up stuck doing whatever MS decides to do.

And i VERY much doubt MS could avoid the temptation to do a little "oops" now and then to make sure that the PS using their service got slightly "less prompt" service.

How would they exempt PS4 devices but not their own using the same service without being sued for fraud? (Xbox'es would need to identify themselves on said service in order not to be subject to the "oops" incident).
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 07, 2013 11:17 am

Hammer_Time wrote:The PS4 might rock, but their online service needs a lot of TLC to match it!!! :whistle:

They should throw in some THC instead of TLC..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Tue May 07, 2013 11:20 am

I could think of an example where Sony is releasing super mega AAA game and MS schedules Xbox live maintenance for that day.

Geez Sauron, I thought you were evil. Think evil. makes it easier.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 pm

I guess I'm not M$ evil..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue May 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:

How would they exempt PS4 devices but not their own using the same service without being sued for fraud? (Xbox'es would need to identify themselves on said service in order not to be subject to the "oops" incident).

Would be easy for M$ to identify PS4's connecting to their servers, then "downgrade" their service accordingly ( less bandwidth, add artificial delays, etc. ). One would ask how a company would be so evil to even think of doing this, but both companies have done far worse things in the past.... rootkit, cough... :fist: :evil:

Proving this would be difficult... and if discovered then M$ would no doubt resort to some other "tricks" to screw their competitor... monopoly is what they want, instead of cooperation for the benefit of all, companies are only loyal to their shareholders and bottom line of course...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:

Uhm... Do you REALLY think that the boxes aren´t already using something to ID themselves? Please!

Oh look, the Sony Playstation network is down AGAIN today!!

Well, i don´t keep track of consoles, but i DO recall how much trouble there was with XBox live early on, and still is to some degree, mostly because of how low ping they required, dialup was near impossible to run on originally(here).
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes, I worked for their call center during the launch period of the 360, so am very familiar with Xbox Live issues...took them about a full year to get the bugs worked out of the system...much longer to fix the actual hw problems with the 360...

Xbox Live is the best online multiplayer experience bar none these days, sure it still has its "hiccups" from time to time, but short in duration and not frequent...unlike Sony Playstation network...

http://kotaku.com/5960827/xbox-live-tur ... st-moments

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/134 ... yer-games/

Top 10 Best Xbox 360 Multiplayer Games

The Xbox 360 revolutionized online gaming thanks to its Xbox Live multiplayer component. We take a look at the best multiplayer games available for the Xbox 360.by Ian Miles Cheong on 28th Apr, 2013
Ever since its release in 2005, the Xbox 360 has been the go-to console for multiplayer gaming. Its success as an online gaming platform can be largely attributed to Xbox Live and its lively community. Although the community has a bad reputation due to the behavior of some of its users, it remains the most popular online platform in existence, surpassing both Steam and PSN by a large margin. That isn’t to say that its rivals won’t some day catch up with Microsoft’s offering, of course.

Let’s take a look at the latest titles driving the Xbox Live’s continued popularity.

“Red Dead Redemption” in multiplayer feels like a whole different experience thanks to the inclusion of other players and “free roam” mode. Both a cooperative and competitive experience, players can form into posses to take out computer-controlled hideouts together or go up against rival human gangs for massive shootouts with up to 16 players. Players who level up and complete challenges can unlock faster steeds, better guns, player titles and a wide variety of skins. It’s interesting to note that the new Undead Nightmare content pack also adds a couple of new modes that pit players against hordes of zombies. Not bad for a DLC.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-xbo ... ed-gaming/

5 Ways In Which Xbox Live Has Changed Gaming – For Better Or Worse [Opinion]

It’s difficult to remember a time when games consoles didn’t connect to the Internet. I’m now so used to online features being an integral part of the gaming experience, that it’s easy to forget that this wasn’t the case just a decade ago. A decade is how long Xbox Live has been with us, with Microsoft launching the service in 2002.
At that stage in time PC gamers had been playing online for many years, and the Xbox wasn’t even the first console to feature Internet connectivity. That honor went to the Sega Dreamcast, but using a 33k dial-up modem to play online was never going to cut the mustard. It was left to Microsoft to innovate, and to get online gaming on consoles right.
Xbox Live debuted a year after the launch of the original Xbox, on Nov. 15, 2002. Meaning Xbox Live has recently celebrated its 10th birthday. Since its inception Xbox Live has evolved and grown far beyond early expectations. It’s formed an integral part of two consoles, had numerous makeovers and feature updates, and aided the adoption of online television.
In addition, Xbox Live – and to a lesser extent its competitor PlayStation Network — has changed gaming in a variety of ways. Some good, some bad, most a little of both. What follows are five ways in which I feel Xbox Live has changed gaming for better or worse.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 am

Hammer_Time wrote:
Sauron_Daz wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:And i VERY much doubt MS could avoid the temptation to do a little "oops" now and then to make sure that the PS using their service got slightly "less prompt" service.

Would be easy for M$ to identify PS4's connecting to their servers, then "downgrade" their service accordingly ( less bandwidth, add artificial delays, etc. ). One would ask how a company would be so evil to even think of doing this, but both companies have done far worse things in the past.... rootkit, cough... :fist: :evil:

Proving this would be difficult... and if discovered then M$ would no doubt resort to some other "tricks" to screw their competitor... monopoly is what they want, instead of cooperation for the benefit of all, companies are only loyal to their shareholders and bottom line of course...

I suppose Sony would lock things like that out using the contract..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Oh look, the Sony Playstation network is down AGAIN today!!

Well, i don´t keep track of consoles, but i DO recall how much trouble there was with XBox live early on, and still is to some degree, mostly because of how low ping they required, dialup was near impossible to run on originally(here).

Never owned an Xbox, so I wouldn't know about that.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Breaking Technology News