Help! Do these temps looks normal? I am at a loss!

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Help! Do these temps looks normal? I am at a loss!

Postby Civilradiant » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am

I have been having a lot of random reboots over the last month or so, I have reinstalled the OS and ruled out any obvious software causes that I can think of. Looks like it must be hardware. Fans all seem to be operating normally and the internals are clean.

Wanted to rule out any overheating issues, I haven't done any gaming in over a year now, the restarts seem to be random, not associated with running any particular programs or intensive CPU usage.

Here is a screenshot of my temps according to this software I just installed.

Your expertise is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any advise!

Civilradiant

Re: Help! Do these temps looks normal? I am at a loss!

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 am

Do these temps looks normal?

Pretty much. A bit surprising to have CPU that close to HDDs and below MB but nothing looks bad.

Sensor detection for your system seems a bit wacky, but that´s nothing uncommon and the voltages looks ok.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 am

"Temp3 -128C: ( with 0 rpm fan speed ) :lol: :lol: Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I have just gone through the exact same thing here...faulty old motherboard and failing power supply were the culprits. Bought new power supply which allowed me to at least run this old board in 2D mode, my new motherboard will be shipped to me tomorrow!

By the sounds of it you are having the same sort of issue here...my system would just shut itself off for no reason while idling in Windows ( nothing running ). I would suspect the motherboard first plus possibly your power supply dying...

Do you have another psu to test with?

How old is your motherboard? power supply??

Most likely it is one or the other failing here, or both as has happened in my case... :cry:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 am

But did you notice some sensors report temps below zero before it died?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 am

I think that was a simple Speedfan utility glitch ( or bad sensor ) , probably has nothing to do with the "health" of his motherboard...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am

Many issues can cause random reboots.. and the mobo itself is only one of them.

Maybe run memtest to rule out memory related problems.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:27 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:But did you notice some sensors report temps below zero before it died?

That´s just imperfect sensor detection, 99.99% likely to be completely irrelevant.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Fuzz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:39 am

The -128 is basically representing a 0 or null in sbyte that can store a range of values from -128 to 127. No worries about that one.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:40 am

Yep! Must be a bad penguin sensor!! ( sooo cold -128C! :mrgreen: :incoming: :moon: :lol: )

Bad ram could cause these issues as Sauron says, but the most likely culprits are the mobo and psu...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:04 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Yep! Must be a bad penguin sensor!! ( sooo cold -128C! :mrgreen: :incoming: :moon: :lol: )

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum