First air and space engine

The Forum is the place to go for more serious non-computer-related discussions. The rules of conduct here are more strict than they are elsewhere on X-bit labs. Adult language should be kept to a bare minimum. All posts must be related to the topic thread.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

First air and space engine

Postby Silver » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:51 am

First of its kind: 'Sabre' Engine travels through air and space
http://vr-zone.com/articles/first-of-it ... 18110.html

A UK company has invented a new jet-like engine that runs like a jet engine through the atmosphere and a rocket engine in space. The company, Reaction Engines Ltd., said that its new ‘Sabre' engine means the end of old fashioned jet travel and rocket delivery.

Seems like a serious step in the right direction for the future of travel, something that has more or less only been avalible in science-fiction before this step.
A motor that can function both in the athmosphere and in space.
This concept engine, which is the first engine of its kind, means that launching materials into space can be done far more efficiently and reaching almost any destinations on earth in 4 hours or less.
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Re: First air and space engine

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 am

Guess it´s about time someone is getting it working. Really hope it works well, as that could be the first step to revolutionising basic spacetravel.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 am

This is the next step that has been needed since the retirement of the Space Shuttle program.

Strange that the whole body of the motor is curved...must be a reason for that

Front Centerbody is moveable to optimize air intake, nice...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:23 am

Interesting tech..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Tiggerz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 pm

To me it looks like they have just put a turbo charger on a rocket engine or am I missing something?
My posts in X-Bit forums don't mean I condone racist or discriminatory comments made by forum members regarding any other individuals. I support the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & recognize that all people are born free & equal in dignity & rights & should be treated accordingly in the spirit of brotherhood, freedom, justice and peace in the world
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Tiggerz wrote:To me it looks like they have just put a turbo charger on a rocket engine or am I missing something?

A bit more than that, but the important part is to make them work as ONE engine, because this cuts down massively on the total engine weight needed.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Return to The Forum