Never Ending Computer Issue

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Puter-geek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am

Hey Everyone,

It's been awhile. Hope you are all doing well.

In any case I have recently had some computer issues and hopefully someone might have an idea as to what the issue is.

A couple months ago I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX 460 (overclocked). I don't know if it was right away or after a week or so but I noticed a lag of sorts that was associated with dimming (at the beginning of angry birds and when booting up). I figured it was the card. It eventually got so bad that when I booted up into windows it was black (except I was able to see the mouse a little). I switched to onboard graphics and it didn't fix the issue.

I bought a new power supply and it didn't fix the issue. I switched to a new motherboard and I still had the same type of dimming when I booted up and I was not able to install windows again on my primary drive (ssd).

I was able to install windows on an old IDE drive and I am using that right now. I tried several times to install windows on the SSD using two different motherboards. The SSD drive would show up in the windows install and I would delete the partition and create a new one but when I tried to format it I would run into problems. Then it just stopped showing up altogether. It still showed up in BIOS though. I tried different modes: AHCI vs IDE and nothing helped.

Right now booting up into the IDE is extremely slow and bios still fades in and out like it did originally. So I don't really know what the problem is.

Also I noticed a bent pin on the CPU at one point. Don't know when that happened. I bent it back and I am using windows right now so it must have fixed it.

Also I tried using different SATA ports and data wires without any help.
Puter-geek
Full Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Cape Cod

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Puter-geek, welcome back!

Well since you replaced everything else in your system, I have to wonder if your old IDE hard drive is acting up/failing here ( bad sectors etc. ). The bent pin on your cpu is not "good" either, but as you say, you bent it back and you are in Windows so it must be working somehow...

Can you borrow or buy a SATA hdd ( not your SSD which the mobo does not like apparently ) and see if that helps? I would not trust your old hdd at this point..even if it passes low-level scans it could still have "issues"...

btw, what brand/model of psu did you buy? Just curious...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33824
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Puter-geek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:45 pm

I should also say that I was using the SSD when the problems originally surfaced. Right now I am using an old IDE and the only real problem is that it is slow (especially booting up. Seems like 3-5 minutes)

I bought a Lead Power 650W-Max ATX Power Supply w/12cm Fan, 20/24-Pin.

I will run a diskscan tonight and hopefully that will help. I am currently runing defrag aswell. But I really don't know why I can't get the SSD to work out. I can't even see it in windows as an extra drive right now.
Puter-geek
Full Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Cape Cod

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:26 pm

The power supply sounds fine.. 650 watt...I am not familiar with that brand but you have sufficient power there with 650 Watts max assuming the psu rating is accurate.

Make sure the SATA controller in your mobo BIOS that your SSD is connected to is set to AHCI ( not IDE/Compatibility ) Mode, or your SSD won't work or be recognized properly. All SSD are only designed to work in AHCI mode so make sure it is set to that in your mobo BIOS before you do anything else.

If Windows cannot see the drive ( did you go into Windows Drive Manager? see if the drive shows up there, you might have to "initialize" the drive from there ...)

If it does not even show up at all in Drive Manager, then either the SSD is defective, or some weird hw incompatibility with your motherboard...

It is also possible you do not have "good" power coming from the outlet in your place...mebbe try hooking up computer in a different location/house/apt and see if it still "dims" on bootup ( which might or might not have something to do with your power supply ).

good luck!!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33824
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:57 am

Puter-geek wrote:Hey Everyone,

It's been awhile. Hope you are all doing well.

In any case I have recently had some computer issues and hopefully someone might have an idea as to what the issue is.

A couple months ago I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX 460 (overclocked). I don't know if it was right away or after a week or so but I noticed a lag of sorts that was associated with dimming (at the beginning of angry birds and when booting up). I figured it was the card. It eventually got so bad that when I booted up into windows it was black (except I was able to see the mouse a little). I switched to onboard graphics and it didn't fix the issue.

I bought a new power supply and it didn't fix the issue. I switched to a new motherboard and I still had the same type of dimming when I booted up and I was not able to install windows again on my primary drive (ssd).

I was able to install windows on an old IDE drive and I am using that right now. I tried several times to install windows on the SSD using two different motherboards. The SSD drive would show up in the windows install and I would delete the partition and create a new one but when I tried to format it I would run into problems. Then it just stopped showing up altogether. It still showed up in BIOS though. I tried different modes: AHCI vs IDE and nothing helped.

Right now booting up into the IDE is extremely slow and bios still fades in and out like it did originally. So I don't really know what the problem is.

Also I noticed a bent pin on the CPU at one point. Don't know when that happened. I bent it back and I am using windows right now so it must have fixed it.

Also I tried using different SATA ports and data wires without any help.


Looks like issues with both the mobo and the SSD drive.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34592
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Puter-geek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:45 am

I wish their was software that could just scan the system and let you know what the problem was.

Oh well.
Puter-geek
Full Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Cape Cod

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:48 am

Puter-geek wrote:I wish their was software that could just scan the system and let you know what the problem was.

Oh well.


Dont we all!
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
Image
User avatar
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon
 
Posts: 15188
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:30 am

There is, it is called "X-bit Labs Forums"... you tell us your problem, and we try to suggest solutions! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33824
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:There is, it is called "X-bit Labs Forums"... you tell us your problem, and we try to suggest solutions! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

But we don´t have direct access... Which may be fortunate sometimes. :mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
Image
User avatar
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon
 
Posts: 15188
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 am

Did you find out more already?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34592
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 pm

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:There is, it is called "X-bit Labs Forums"... you tell us your problem, and we try to suggest solutions! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

But we don´t have direct access... Which may be fortunate sometimes. :mrgreen:


:twisted: :lol: Indeed!! :mrgreen:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33824
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:There is, it is called "X-bit Labs Forums"... you tell us your problem, and we try to suggest solutions! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:


He doesn't want suggestions... He wants answers. :twisted:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34592
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Puter-geek » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Sorry but the storm hit us hard and I didn't have power for a couple days.

I failed to boot up again. I reinstalled windows on another hard drive and I can boot up. Should I stick with the current motherboard or assume it is glitchy and switch it out?

I also risk breaking the cpu since one of the pins was really bent before.

Thanks.
Puter-geek
Full Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Cape Cod

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Then the mobo may be OK. This other drive has the performance you would expect from it?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34592
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Puter-geek wrote:Sorry but the storm hit us hard and I didn't have power for a couple days.

I failed to boot up again. I reinstalled windows on another hard drive and I can boot up. Should I stick with the current motherboard or assume it is glitchy and switch it out?

I also risk breaking the cpu since one of the pins was really bent before.

Thanks.


Then there is something wrong with your old hard drive obviously, since your system works fine with a different hard drive. There could be something funky with the drive controller on your mobo but this is highly unlikely, sounds like a bad hard drive issue...no need to swap mobo's ( yet )
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Image
User avatar
Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod
 
Posts: 33824
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Mordor

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 am

Let it work for a few days before deciding to buy, so any new glitches may help to determine what's wrong with the system.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34592
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby MCGTech » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am

You haven't mentioned trying your old vid card btw. Also, a friend had mysterious disk errors for a year before I figured out his mobo chipset was sitting down in between his dual video cards and cooling was inadequate for the chipset. A strategically placed fan solved the problem. Maybe your new card (longer?) has affected your case's airflow.
MCGTech
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Puter-geek » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 am

I already bought a motherboard from before. Right now I am working on the original motherboard and a different hard drive. This one is faster than the IDE but slower than the SSD that windows won't even recognize. Boot time seems nomal now and I don't have any weird glitched accept when I boot up the display fades in and out. But that might be normal.

I am installing everything on this drive and assuming things are fine right now. If thing get worse again I think I will try the other motherboard.

I don't think it is the video card because I tried onboard graphics and it didn't change anything. Still had the fading in and out and a the time I couldn't boot into windows.

I could still return the other motherboard I bought but I kind of want to hold on to it for now. Might change my mind though.

Thanks.
Puter-geek
Full Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Cape Cod

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Puter-geek » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Ok at this point a normal restart takes about 5 mintes. Most of which is windows booting up.

Does that seem like a motherboard problem or hard drive problem or not a problem at all?

I will be running a defrag and hopefully that will help.
Puter-geek
Full Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm
Location: Cape Cod

Re: Never Ending Computer Issue

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 am

5 minutes is long... Can't say right now what's causing that.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
User avatar
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod
 
Posts: 34592
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 4:00 pm

Next

Return to Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron