Futuremark Unleashes New 3DMark Benchmark Suite for Windows

Everything on contemporary and upcoming graphics chips and VGA cards. 3D discussions. Monitors and video editing.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 am

http://www.techpowerup.com/179756/Futur ... ndows.html

Monday, February 4th 2013

Futuremark released the newest installment to its 3DMark franchise. It's the first 3DMark to lack a version name, making it a "reboot" of sorts. For starters, the new 3DMark is a collection of three independent benchmark suites, each with its own demos, game tests, physics tests, and combined tests, and scoring.

Among the three suits are "Ice Storm," designed for tablets, mobile devices, and entry-level desktops, which needs nothing more than a DirectX 9.0c GPU to get going; "Cloud Gate," for notebook and home desktops, which needs a DirectX 10 feature-level GPU; and "Fire Strike," an over-the-top suite designed for today's gaming desktops, which can make even the fastest graphics cards sweat (for example, our GTX 680 in the screenshots below). The physics tests of each of these can benefit from having multiple cores and advanced instruction sets. TechPowerUp is a premier launch partner, hosting downloads on behalf of Futuremark. Grab yours below.

DOWNLOAD: 3DMark (2013)

The new 3DMark is available in various licensing options, a free version is for people to run the suites at default settings and view scores online; an advanced version that lets you view scores locally and compare scores online, and run tests with custom settings (for most gamers and enthusiasts); and a professional version for engineers, journalists, and reviewers, wanting to dissect each benchmark run, down to second-by-second details. 3DMark has its own data-logger that generates line graphs presenting multiple data points.

The new 3DMark is also the first cross-platform benchmark. Its Ice Storm suite is being ported to iOS, Android, and Windows RT, for people to bench graphics performance on a variety of new devices, making 3DMark the first major 3D graphics benchmark to set foot on the ARM platform. These versions will be released at a later date.

Finally, a version of 3DMark is coming for iOS and Android platforms, and one can finally benchmark 3D performance on an ARM based cpu!! ( smartphones and tablets etc ). Very nice, good work Futuremark!! 8) :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Futuremark Unleashes New 3DMark Benchmark Suite for Windows

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 am

Anand is already using it for testing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6726/3dma ... us-laptops
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 am

He likes it, it will be useful for benchmarking ( gaming ) laptops. :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:15 am

I wonder if the scores for different platforms can be compared so we can see the difference between those platforms..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:25 am

Yes, it is a "cross-platform" benchmark :D

From Anand's review:

Futuremark is creating a cross-platform benchmark—Windows, Windows RT, iOS, and Android will all be capable of running the same graphics benchmark, sort of. Today’s release is for Windows only, and this is the most feature-packed of the 3DMark releases with three separate graphics benchmarks.

While we don’t normally run 3DMark for our CPU and GPU reviews, we do like to run the tests for our system and notebook reviews. The reason is simple: we don’t usually have long-term access to these systems, so in six months or a year when we update benchmarks we don’t have the option to go back and retest a bunch of hardware to provide current results. That’s not the case on desktop CPUs and GPUs, which explains the seeming discrepancy. 3DMark has been and will always be a synthetic graphics benchmark, which means the results are not representative of true gaming performance; instead, the results are a ballpark estimate of gaming potential, and as such they will correlate well with some titles and not so well with others. This is the reason we benchmark multiple games—not to mention mixing up our gaming suite means that driver teams have to do work for the games people actually play and not just the benchmarks.

The short story here (TL;DR) is that just as Batman: Arkham City, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and Far Cry 3 have differing requirements and performance characteristics, 3DMark results can’t tell you exactly how every game will run—the only thing that will tell you how game X truly scales across various platforms is of course to specifically benchmark game X. I’m also more than a little curious to see how performance will change over the coming months as 3DMark and the various GPU drivers are updated, so with version 1.00 and current drivers in hand I ran the benchmarks on a selection of laptops along with my own gaming desktop.

Regardless, it will be nice to have another cross-platform benchmark where we can gauge relative performance, and that looks to be exactly what 3DMark provides.

Futuremark has only released the Windows version so far, Android/iOS/WinRT ( Arm cpu architecture ) ports are forthcoming as the article mentions...

So you will be able to directly compare results across platforms...once FutureMark releases the proper port of their new benchmark for your particular device...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 am

OK, a useful feature.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby TAViX » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 am

crap results for a 5870/5850 crossfire...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/116002
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:22 am

Compared to what? (there's no reference, not even to a single card)
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 am

TAViX wrote:crap results for a 5870/5850 crossfire...

That score looks like Crossfire is not scaling, and only using your 5870 card... Daamit needs to release a CAP profile for Xfire performance in this new benchy it seems...

I shall endeavour to run this benchy on my single GTX 560Ti card here very soon and report back with score...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby TAViX » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Compared to what? (there's no reference, not even to a single card)

Oh, there are millions of results already from all over the forums, just need 10 sec google search ;)

Hammer_Time wrote:
TAViX wrote:crap results for a 5870/5850 crossfire...

That score looks like Crossfire is not scaling, and only using your 5870 card... Daamit needs to release a CAP profile for Xfire performance in this new benchy it seems...

I shall endeavour to run this benchy on my single GTX 560Ti card here very soon and report back with score...

Well, Crossfire works with latest Beta 5 driver, and with single card I score ~3000 points on latest Fire crap test. Still low compared with what I'm seeing on the web...

Btw, my mobo just died on me 1 month ago, so I have to buy new mobo+CPU+RAMs also. Forced upgrade, but found for cheap 2x8GB DDR3@2133Mhz and got those together with a store discounted 3770K...Lucky.
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:02 am

Ah, yes, your score is accurate ( needed reference point ).

Here is my score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/140252

My cpu has Intel speedstep enabled so during the benchmark it was actually running 3.35 Ghz but when idling it goes down to 2.5 Ghz as shown in benchmark result above, and my DDR-3 runs at 1333 Mhz ( effective rate, actual 667 Mhz ).

My FireStrike score is 2964 ... your score was 5028... so I would say that Crossfire is working fine on your system.. your system is 40% faster than mine in that benchmark...

To improve your score you must get a 7970 or old 6990!! :wink: :twisted:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:31 am

Are you using the latest Catalyst drivers? There is a chance that for the 5xxx series older versions perform better..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:44 am

He said he is using the "latest Beta 5 Catalyst driver" , so he is up to date as much as possible with his driver...

A future driver may improve things slightly for him of course...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Yea, marginal improvements can be expected.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby TAViX » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:25 am

Yeah, Crossfire works only with latest Beta 5...
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Return to Graphics